Have the pros started running mx33 tread pattern?

Subotai
Edited Date/Time 1/16/2019 1:08pm
Simple question, have the pros gone from the mx3s tread pattern to the mx33 or are they still using the mx3s?
|
TSCHAM101
1/15/2019 10:48am
they have been riding them for a year or so atleast… they help them develop the tires...
1/15/2019 1:40pm
TSCHAM101 wrote:
they have been riding them for a year or so atleast… they help them develop the tires...
Based off???

I have seen some of the factory bikes running the old style tread pattern this year alone. I believe factory yamaha is one team running the older style pattern.

"facts" are the tire you buy and the tire they race - arent remotely the same
The tire each team races - while outwardly may have the same tread pattern (and some dont) - doesn't mean they are the same for each team

The new mx33 is a consumer friendlier tire. It lasts longer and arguably hasn't lost grip. A factory tire cares nothing about this - just grip

TSCHAM101
1/15/2019 3:36pm Edited Date/Time 1/15/2019 3:37pm
TSCHAM101 wrote:
Based off??? I have seen some of the factory bikes running the old style tread pattern this year alone. I believe factory yamaha is one team...
Based off???

I have seen some of the factory bikes running the old style tread pattern this year alone. I believe factory yamaha is one team running the older style pattern.

The tire each team races - while outwardly may have the same tread pattern (and some dont) - doesn't mean they are the same for each team

The new mx33 is a consumer friendlier tire. It lasts longer and arguably hasn't lost grip. A factory tire cares nothing about this - just grip

When Dunlop released the tire, they said Ken Roczen loved the 120/90 mx33...

And yes I know they aren't the same as consumer... mainly rubber compound changes..
1/15/2019 4:02pm
TSCHAM101 wrote:
Based off??? I have seen some of the factory bikes running the old style tread pattern this year alone. I believe factory yamaha is one team...
Based off???

TSCHAM101 wrote:
When Dunlop released the tire, they said Ken Roczen loved the 120/90 mx33... And yes I know they aren't the same as consumer... mainly rubber compound...

And yes I know they aren't the same as consumer... mainly rubber compound changes..
They said he loved the 120/90 -19 size tire

which is a taller tire than sold before and taller than most people run - and something they offer now to the consumer.
It's a lot like running the 18 inch tire - which was norm till mid 90's I think?

The rubber compound is a small tiny bit of the tire - the real change is the carcass flex (due to compound potentially) and what that does to grip.

Most factory tires are a stiffer carcass for SX - those guys are far faster than any consumer.

Again - what you "hear" or see is 99 percent marketing. And good on dunlop for their efforts and killer job at doing it. Dunlop OWN the US market - and NEED to for how much free effort/paid effort they give the teams.

This is why michelin has no desire to chase pro racing - the investment vs profit isn't worth it unless they acquired 90 percent market share.

My whole point is - anything the pro's do - has zero relation to what we buy. Their exhausts are different, their bikes are so far removed from what you or I own....their suspension is un relatable (in how stiff it is), their tires etc...the consumer needs to keep that in focus.

The Shop

mattyhamz2
Fantasy
767th
1/15/2019 4:09pm
Based off???

TSCHAM101 wrote:
When Dunlop released the tire, they said Ken Roczen loved the 120/90 mx33... And yes I know they aren't the same as consumer... mainly rubber compound...

They said he loved the 120/[b]90[/b] -19 size tire which is a taller tire than sold before and taller than most people run - and something...
They said he loved the 120/90 -19 size tire

which is a taller tire than sold before and taller than most people run - and something they offer now to the consumer.
It's a lot like running the 18 inch tire - which was norm till mid 90's I think?

The rubber compound is a small tiny bit of the tire - the real change is the carcass flex (due to compound potentially) and what that does to grip.

Most factory tires are a stiffer carcass for SX - those guys are far faster than any consumer.

Again - what you "hear" or see is 99 percent marketing. And good on dunlop for their efforts and killer job at doing it. Dunlop OWN the US market - and NEED to for how much free effort/paid effort they give the teams.

This is why michelin has no desire to chase pro racing - the investment vs profit isn't worth it unless they acquired 90 percent market share.

My whole point is - anything the pro's do - has zero relation to what we buy. Their exhausts are different, their bikes are so far removed from what you or I own....their suspension is un relatable (in how stiff it is), their tires etc...the consumer needs to keep that in focus.

Finally someone says it!!!
slipdog
1/15/2019 4:27pm
Based off???

I'd argue with anyone that thinks the 33 is still good... Tongue
1/15/2019 4:36pm
Based off???

slipdog wrote:
I've been on the michelin or pirelli train for a long time...

Pirelli rear is out of this world good and the michelin front soft is awesome
ML512
Fantasy
45th
1/15/2019 5:18pm
Based off???

slipdog wrote:
I quite like the MX33 120/90-19 rear... ShockedGrinning
ob
1/15/2019 6:04pm
slipdog wrote:
I hate the new 33
slipdog
1/15/2019 6:15pm
Based off???

slipdog wrote:
ML512 wrote:
I can't speak to the difference between that and the 120/80 I bought but I put it on and went to Glenn Helen and if felt about as good as I'd expect a paddle tire to work at the old Saddleback Park.

[url=https://imgflip.com/memegenerator][/url]
langhammx
Fantasy
455th
1/15/2019 6:40pm
slipdog wrote:
ML512 wrote:
slipdog wrote:
I can't speak to the difference between that and the 120/80 I bought but I put it on and went to Glenn Helen and if felt...
I can't speak to the difference between that and the 120/80 I bought but I put it on and went to Glenn Helen and if felt about as good as I'd expect a paddle tire to work at the old Saddleback Park.

[url=https://imgflip.com/memegenerator][/url]
Honestly, I actually like the MX33 tires better than the MX32(3S) and the MX52’s. They grip better and last longer.
But I’ve been running the Hoosier MX20 compound rear and should have the mx25 compound front soon. The rear has worked better than anything I’ve ever used. I couldn’t be happier....
1/15/2019 7:03pm
Id argue the 33 is worse grip...just my opinion.

It definitely lasts far longer.

slipdog
1/15/2019 7:26pm
100% worse grip, IMO, the worn 3s with cracking side knobs worked better.
Jrewing
1/15/2019 8:25pm Edited Date/Time 1/15/2019 8:28pm
Based off???

slipdog wrote:
I’d argue with anyone that thinks Dunlop’s are good.
Pirelli and Michelin are better
I’d do like Michelin soft fronts and most Pirelli rears.
Premix
1/15/2019 8:42pm
slipdog wrote:
What PSI are you running? I found I could drop 1.5 lbs in each end and they worked much better. The carcass is much stiffer than the 3s. I’d start there. I was running 13.5 front and 12.5 back with the 3s, aired down to 12 front and 11rear they worked much better.
ML512
Fantasy
45th
1/15/2019 8:57pm
Based off???

slipdog wrote:
Jrewing wrote:
I quite like Pirelli’s rear range, especially the MX32 Pro, but I’ve yet to find a front combination from Pirelli I’m entirely comfortable with. As for Michelin, for me personally I think most of their compounds are better in their specific use than a MX33 Dunlop but don’t have as wide of an operating range. I’d like to run Michelin’s mid to soft compound more but it gives out way too quickly when the ground packs up. The MX33 is overall more consistent for me across a range of terrains. It doesn’t output as high level of grip as Michelin’s specific models but I can get away with the Dunlop all day and be comfortable. Especially with a bit lower pressure than I used to run with MX3S. I went from 13.5 on 3S to 12.5-13 at most on the 33.
bvm111
1/15/2019 10:09pm Edited Date/Time 1/15/2019 10:10pm
Why no love for the Bridgestone X30.... love mine front and rear, will try the X20 front next though. The Traction is very good and predictable and they wear like iron!
Radical
Fantasy
2360th
1/15/2019 10:18pm
slipdog wrote:
Jrewing wrote:
ML512 wrote:
I quite like Pirelli’s rear range, especially the MX32 Pro, but I’ve yet to find a front combination from Pirelli I’m entirely comfortable with. As for...
I quite like Pirelli’s rear range, especially the MX32 Pro, but I’ve yet to find a front combination from Pirelli I’m entirely comfortable with. As for Michelin, for me personally I think most of their compounds are better in their specific use than a MX33 Dunlop but don’t have as wide of an operating range. I’d like to run Michelin’s mid to soft compound more but it gives out way too quickly when the ground packs up. The MX33 is overall more consistent for me across a range of terrains. It doesn’t output as high level of grip as Michelin’s specific models but I can get away with the Dunlop all day and be comfortable. Especially with a bit lower pressure than I used to run with MX3S. I went from 13.5 on 3S to 12.5-13 at most on the 33.
For the rear on my YZ125, I love the MX32 pro. I'm struggling to find the right replacement in the front for my 7 year old Bridgestone M203. Any suggestions? I'm mostly ride at Fox Raceway (Pala).
aees
1/16/2019 1:33am
slipdog wrote:
Jrewing wrote:
ML512 wrote:
I quite like Pirelli’s rear range, especially the MX32 Pro, but I’ve yet to find a front combination from Pirelli I’m entirely comfortable with. As for...
MX Extra Pirelli, 80/100-21 in front. Same/similar pattern that is on mx32, but much better grip on hard packed. Not sure if rubber or carcass is softer but something is.

Was like cheating on a wet hard packed track compared to mx32.
sgrimmxdad
Fantasy
1936th
1/16/2019 1:46am
Dunlop user here. I think the 3s was a bit better but it did chunk quickly at lower pressures. I found that keeping them at 13.5psi stopped most of the chunking, as Keefer stated.

We are going to try some Hoosiers for the futures races.
ob
1/16/2019 7:32am
You definately need to run less air in the new 33, that tire is stiff as a board. I would pinch flat all day normally at 12psi, but not with a 33. I miss how you could modulate traction and slip angles so good with the 3s, the 33 is vauge all the time.
1/16/2019 10:01am
ML512 wrote:
Some sx privateers around here are on pirelli's - by choice from what one ttold me who I used to do a little work for.

He said the rear was night and day better for him - no contest pirelli there.

But the front he couldn't come to terms with until he ran 15.5 psi - now he likes it more.

I'd suggest trying 14.5-15 and re evaluating ML - on the mid soft

The pirelli mx extra rear tire - is by far the most underated tire on the market. Grips excellently in all conditions and wears like iron - which is weird because the rubber is an ultra soft compound. When the track gets that slick shiny stuff - it's incredible.

1/16/2019 10:09am
From matthes

So seventh to fourth this weekend and that’s off a tenth to third ride last week. Got to be a bit of anger for Tomac at this point. Some of the reason his charge to the front was stalled in Glendale was because his tire had basically gone away. Knobs missing, chunked out on the concrete-type of dirt out there. The tires they use are custom and for whatever reason, Eli’s didn’t hold up as well as the others.

Clearly that tire is just like what we can buy Wink 23 minutes of racing and it's chunked
TSCHAM101
1/16/2019 10:51am
i like the mx33 rear way more than i like the MX3s... 3s i felt like skated around on me.. the 33 i know what its going to do everytime i ride it.. for fronts though, i don't like the 33 too much.. i would rather use the Pirelli 32 mid soft.. my next combo im going to run are the Michelins.. soft front, medium rear and see how it goes..
BobPA
1/16/2019 11:22am
TSCHAM101 wrote:
i like the mx33 rear way more than i like the MX3s... 3s i felt like skated around on me.. the 33 i know what its...
i like the mx33 rear way more than i like the MX3s... 3s i felt like skated around on me.. the 33 i know what its going to do everytime i ride it.. for fronts though, i don't like the 33 too much.. i would rather use the Pirelli 32 mid soft.. my next combo im going to run are the Michelins.. soft front, medium rear and see how it goes..
You should really like that Michelin combo. I have been on it for a while with no complaints. Never could get into the MX3S. Fantastic grip when new, then started to shed knobs and traction in a hurry.

I am going to try a Hoosier rear to start this year on my 450, might even try one of these Pirellis that everyone is squawking about. I tried a Pirelli ten, or so, years ago and hated it...but times change.
slipdog
1/16/2019 12:59pm
slipdog wrote:
Premix wrote:
What PSI are you running? I found I could drop 1.5 lbs in each end and they worked much better. The carcass is much stiffer than...
What PSI are you running? I found I could drop 1.5 lbs in each end and they worked much better. The carcass is much stiffer than the 3s. I’d start there. I was running 13.5 front and 12.5 back with the 3s, aired down to 12 front and 11rear they worked much better.
I run all my tires at 12psi. I read the 3s worked better at 14 and tried them there but ended back at 12 because at 14 they felt like the 33 at 12. Rear end sliding out leaning into corners and breaking loose exiting on anything that wasn't pure loam.
Jrewing
1/16/2019 1:08pm
ML512 wrote:
Some sx privateers around here are on pirelli's - by choice from what one ttold me who I used to do a little work for. He...
Some sx privateers around here are on pirelli's - by choice from what one ttold me who I used to do a little work for.

He said the rear was night and day better for him - no contest pirelli there.

But the front he couldn't come to terms with until he ran 15.5 psi - now he likes it more.

I'd suggest trying 14.5-15 and re evaluating ML - on the mid soft

The pirelli mx extra rear tire - is by far the most underated tire on the market. Grips excellently in all conditions and wears like iron - which is weird because the rubber is an ultra soft compound. When the track gets that slick shiny stuff - it's incredible.

Shoosh Derek. Don’t give the secrets up!
Starcross soft front and mx extra are shit everyone
Subotai
1/16/2019 3:45pm
I completely agree with those of you saying the mx33 isn't as good as the 3s. Last longer? Yes. Better traction? No way. It's EXTREMELY vague on initial lean in. Starts pushing and hunting for traction. So the question is, how many of the teams use the new tread pattern? Anyone?

ML, do you know?

Post a reply to: Have the pros started running mx33 tread pattern?

The Latest