Have other manufacturers stopped trying?

2T42
6/19/2017 7:35am
KTM is focused on building bikes that people want to race.
Honda is focused on changing the rules to force people to race what they build.
Acidreamer
6/19/2017 7:50am
its because of the bike... not the numbers game ktm plays by simply having more of their bikes in the field. You have a jar with 100 marbles and 90 are orange, youre probably going to get an orange one. When you look at the price compared to the race shop forum littered with ktm problems and specs on new ktms that arent $2000 better than a jap bike, why buy it. Ktms only bike with decent value is the superduke 1290 r.
BobPA
6/19/2017 7:53am
Acidreamer wrote:
its because of the bike... not the numbers game ktm plays by simply having more of their bikes in the field. You have a jar with...
its because of the bike... not the numbers game ktm plays by simply having more of their bikes in the field. You have a jar with 100 marbles and 90 are orange, youre probably going to get an orange one. When you look at the price compared to the race shop forum littered with ktm problems and specs on new ktms that arent $2000 better than a jap bike, why buy it. Ktms only bike with decent value is the superduke 1290 r.
$200* price difference

Fixed it for ya broski
6/19/2017 8:11am
I don't think a KTM will win the 450 championship or the SX title this year. I personally don't think KTM will win another 450 title for another 2 years or so. Just my opinion tho

The Shop

ron36
6/19/2017 8:22am
milliebays wrote:
How did that PDS work out for them?
markit wrote:
Oddly didn't seam to affect the Europeans, many titles on PDS across the pond. To many crybabies in moto during that time.
VRR7 wrote:
Not one mx1 or 450 ama mx title was won on pds! They only won that class when they added a linkage. Roger fixed the bike...
Not one mx1 or 450 ama mx title was won on pds! They only won that class when they added a linkage. Roger fixed the bike for ktm. Kenny left KTM cos the bike was pos old Suzuki was a better bike than newer KTM. It's all about focus KTM are focused on mxgp from riders to mxgp organization . Honda for a long time as a factory have not even participated at all . They have only woken up recently to see what effect this marketing strategy has had for KTM and begun to put effort back into mxgp even Dakar. Ktm/husqvarna have done brilliant in the last round of AMA sx ! Many bikes at top compared to Japan models. Honda had bad lucky with Kenny for sure but ktm/husky had RD JA BB MM all winning races ... I would say it's about focus where and how you focus your attention. Moto3 for example is all Honda right now started as KTM. I think they noticed KTM has them in there cross hairs . Like when you wear number one plate. Early KTM copied Honda a lot that you could but Honda parts and use them in the KTM exact copy. So yes good for KTM they have some an excellent job and are makinmaking huge marketing ground while Honda sell cars and jets ... I think Honda has responded maybe too late ? The 2018 CRF250R suggests they are paying attention.
It was not Roger who fixed the ktm bikes, it was Stefan Everts influence. He want's the link system.
mx317
6/19/2017 8:30am
I don't think a KTM will win the 450 championship or the SX title this year. I personally don't think KTM will win another 450 title...
I don't think a KTM will win the 450 championship or the SX title this year. I personally don't think KTM will win another 450 title for another 2 years or so. Just my opinion tho
KTM already won the SX title this year and is leading the MX series both here in the US and World championships. Try again.
PabstBR11
6/19/2017 8:52am
I don't think a KTM will win the 450 championship or the SX title this year. I personally don't think KTM will win another 450 title...
mx317 wrote:
KTM already won the SX title this year and is leading the MX series both here in the US and World championships. Try again.
Probably talking about next years SX title since he said mx title first? As in Mx then next SX championship..... Surely he already knows Sx is over, eh?
mx317
6/19/2017 9:59am
mx317 wrote:
PabstBR11 wrote:
Probably talking about next years SX title since he said mx title first? As in Mx then next SX championship..... Surely he already knows Sx is...
Probably talking about next years SX title since he said mx title first? As in Mx then next SX championship..... Surely he already knows Sx is over, eh?
I don't know, can't read his mind. I only know what he wrote.
kiwifan
6/19/2017 1:08pm
2T42 wrote:
First part of your post I agree, the 2nd part...really? Yamaha pushed to change the rules to allow 4 strokes in....and we all saw how that turned out....its just that that move suited Honda down to the ground, good on Yamaha eh?
Plugga
6/19/2017 1:58pm
2T42 wrote:
Bingo.
OldYZRider1
6/19/2017 2:05pm
The Japanese had the proMX playground all to themselves for decades and could do updates when it suited their needs and schedule. They're very good at managing such things; maybe even rotated championships among themselves at times to build up their islands "entire" motorcycle economy. Then those damn Austrians showed up and are upsetting the status quo by taking this dirt bike racing shit too seriously.
mx617
6/19/2017 2:09pm
newmann wrote:
World domination. Love it. Meanwhile, back in Japan... [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2017/06/17/200659/s1200_download.jpg[/img]
World domination. Love it.

Meanwhile, back in Japan...

MXMattii wrote:
No they are to busy with going to maid cafe's [img]https://otakify.weebly.com/uploads/5/0/9/4/50941819/ppl5.jpg[/img]
No they are to busy with going to maid cafe's

Sidetrack post.

I was in Winnipeg for a work trip and stopped in at a little French restaurant. Well turns out I didn't know that is was Maid Café night at that place. What a f*cked up experience that was! Especially since I was eating alone lol. I was pretty much in shock the whole time, had never heard of such a thing until that night.

10/10, would do again.
T-Fish
Fantasy
173rd
6/19/2017 8:28pm
Brent wrote:
After 30 years of being a Honda Kawasaki Loyalist and cheerleader, I just brought my first KTM this year. I know my bike is a far...
After 30 years of being a Honda Kawasaki Loyalist and cheerleader, I just brought my first KTM this year.

I know my bike is a far cry from a factory KTM, but nevertheless it is the best overall bike I have ever owned.

Here we are five years after KTM first produced e start, and the Japanese finally tip -toe into the water with it?

Don't even get me started on how much the new YZF weighs as compared to the KTM...
Five years? It's been ten years now.
Johnny Depp
6/20/2017 9:58am
VxeR wrote:
KTM will never be dethroned. Aside from MX, literally 97% of the Enduro/Offroad crowd rides KTM or Husky
KTM has been dethroned on their home field. KTM comes from Enduro and with Husky now they by far have the biggest budget and best riders. Not 1 Championship last year on their new models. They are not unbeatable.

Enduro 1 (E1) – 100 to 125 cc 2-stroke or 175 - 250 cc 4-stroke
Enduro 2 (E2) – 175 to 250 cc 2-stroke or 290 - 450 cc 4-stroke
Enduro 3 (E3) – 290 to 500 cc 2-stroke or 475 - 650 cc 4-stroke

(there are only 2 classes for 2017)

Finland Juha Salminen (KTM) Finland Mika Ahola (Honda) Spain Iván Cervantes (KTM)

Finland Mika Ahola (Honda) France Johnny Aubert (Yamaha) Finland Samuli Aro (KTM)

Finland Mika Ahola (Honda) France Johnny Aubert (KTM) Spain Iván Cervantes (KTM)

France Antoine Méo (Husqvarna) Finland Mika Ahola (Honda) United Kingdom David Knight (KTM)

Finland Juha Salminen (Husqvarna) France Antoine Méo (Husqvarna) Finland Mika Ahola (Honda)

France Antoine Méo (KTM) France Pierre-Alexandre Renet (Husaberg) France Christophe Nambotin (KTM)

France Antoine Méo (KTM) Italy Alex Salvini (Honda) France Christophe Nambotin (KTM)

France Christophe Nambotin (KTM) France Pierre-Alexandre Renet (Husqvarna) Australia Matthew Phillips (KTM)

Finland Eero Remes (TM Racing) France Antoine Méo (KTM) France Mathias Bellino (Husqvarna)

Finland Eero Remes (TM Racing) Australia Matthew Phillips (Sherco) United Kingdom Steve Holcombe (Beta)

2017 points leaders: E2 Josep Garcia (KTM) EnduroGP Steve Holcombe (Beta)
6/20/2017 10:12am
I'd say no since they all pretty much spanked KTM's ass in the nationals just last year. How many national motos did KTM win last year ?
kott0n
Fantasy
3769th
6/20/2017 10:59am
Husaberg won as late as 2012 and still had to sell huh. Shame.
I remember watching a buddy trying to start one of those pigs in the 90's. Hot start? Not today
Katoomey
6/20/2017 11:24am
GuyB wrote:
I don't think other manufacturers have stopped trying, I just think that there are vastly different philosophies. I was talking with a KTM employee high up...
I don't think other manufacturers have stopped trying, I just think that there are vastly different philosophies.

I was talking with a KTM employee high up in their racing department a while back, and I suggested that the difference between most companies and KTM was something like this...

Most of the teams are fielded by motorcycle companies that go racing, while KTM is a racing company that builds motorcycles.

He said, "Exactly!"
Enzo Ferrari said that about Ferrari. ...60 years ago. difference is, it was actually true. he hated selling his cars. he didn't think they we're appreciated and didn't think customers knew how to drive them properly. he was financially forced into it.

Post a reply to: Have other manufacturers stopped trying?

The Latest