Hauling bike with prius

motokawi818
9/15/2018 2:28pm Edited Date/Time 9/21/2018 8:39am
So I’m living in California and looking to safe some gas money I’ve downsized from a truck to a Prius. So I’m trying to figure out the best way to haul my bike. I’d like to use one of the haulers on the hitch, but all the hitch’s I’ve seen online are only class 1 and have a hitch weight of 200 lbs. Is it possible to mount a class 3 or somehow brace the class 1? Has anyone tried this with any success? I’d imagine it’s similar for other cars and not unique to a Prius. Thanks
|
mattyhamz2
Fantasy
760th
9/15/2018 2:30pm
So I’m living in California and looking to safe some gas money I’ve downsized from a truck to a Prius. So I’m trying to figure out...
So I’m living in California and looking to safe some gas money I’ve downsized from a truck to a Prius. So I’m trying to figure out the best way to haul my bike. I’d like to use one of the haulers on the hitch, but all the hitch’s I’ve seen online are only class 1 and have a hitch weight of 200 lbs. Is it possible to mount a class 3 or somehow brace the class 1? Has anyone tried this with any success? I’d imagine it’s similar for other cars and not unique to a Prius. Thanks
What about pulling a small trailer? I know you’d be limited to 55, but could be an easy way to haul it with a Prius.

Where in California are you now?
loftyair
9/15/2018 2:31pm
Might be able to do with some creative cutting and welding. I put a class 3 on my taurus wagon, which is not sold, I made it. But, might want to just get a small trailer, probably cheaper and safer.
loftyair
9/15/2018 2:32pm
mattyhamz2 wrote:
What about pulling a small trailer? I know you’d be limited to 55, but could be an easy way to haul it with a Prius. Where...
What about pulling a small trailer? I know you’d be limited to 55, but could be an easy way to haul it with a Prius.

California, 55 is a dream!? haha
motokawi818
9/15/2018 2:34pm
So I’m living in California and looking to safe some gas money I’ve downsized from a truck to a Prius. So I’m trying to figure out...
mattyhamz2 wrote:
What about pulling a small trailer? I know you’d be limited to 55, but could be an easy way to haul it with a Prius. Where...

Fresno! Haha yeah worst case I’ll try and find a cheap single trailer. The hitch rack would just be so much cleaner and easier. Plus I don’t have much trailer space.

The Shop

motokawi818
9/15/2018 2:36pm
loftyair wrote:
Might be able to do with some creative cutting and welding. I put a class 3 on my taurus wagon, which is not sold, I made...
Might be able to do with some creative cutting and welding. I put a class 3 on my taurus wagon, which is not sold, I made it. But, might want to just get a small trailer, probably cheaper and safer.
Did that require a ton of welding? I can cut and drill but don’t have easy access to welding. I’d have to find a shop will to do it for me.
mattyhamz2
Fantasy
760th
9/15/2018 2:48pm
mattyhamz2 wrote:

Fresno! Haha yeah worst case I’ll try and find a cheap single trailer. The hitch rack would just be so much cleaner and easier. Plus I...
Fresno! Haha yeah worst case I’ll try and find a cheap single trailer. The hitch rack would just be so much cleaner and easier. Plus I don’t have much trailer space.
If you can, I’m probably headed to lacr on either the 29th or 30th. I know it’s a bit of a drive but if you can make it let me know!
motokawi818
9/15/2018 2:54pm
mattyhamz2 wrote:
If you can, I’m probably headed to lacr on either the 29th or 30th. I know it’s a bit of a drive but if you can...
If you can, I’m probably headed to lacr on either the 29th or 30th. I know it’s a bit of a drive but if you can make it let me know!
I’ll only have the Prius at that time ?? maybe I can talk a family member into letting me borrow a truck.
9/15/2018 3:01pm
You'd have to do some very creative modifications to get the hitch to mount to the subframe. With all of that tongue weight, you'd also probably want to think about upgrading rear shocks to something more heavy duty (If that's even possible).

I'd personally go with a small trailer without hesitation, but if you go the other route please make a build thread because i love creative DIY shit like this.

Good luck dude!
motokawi818
9/15/2018 3:08pm
You'd have to do some very creative modifications to get the hitch to mount to the subframe. With all of that tongue weight, you'd also probably...
You'd have to do some very creative modifications to get the hitch to mount to the subframe. With all of that tongue weight, you'd also probably want to think about upgrading rear shocks to something more heavy duty (If that's even possible).

I'd personally go with a small trailer without hesitation, but if you go the other route please make a build thread because i love creative DIY shit like this.

Good luck dude!
So step dads brother says he can wield any material. A DIY might be coming soon! I just really want to avoid a trailer due to space restrictions. Any recommendations on ways to brace the hitch or maybe the bike hauler to the frame for some increased tongue weight strength will be much appreciated.
loftyair
9/15/2018 3:11pm
Yeah, a bit of welding. Also, with the hitch probably being so low, it would drag pretty easy. They do make a 'heightener', but than adds even more to cost. It also allows more 'sway', which is nerve wracking. Really, the tiny trailer best way to go. It could stash away behind bike in garage, not that much bigger than a bike hitch.
hyler199
9/15/2018 3:14pm
Yeah my advice is to ditch the idea of a hauler on the Prius and just grab the lightest 4x8 trailer you can find.

Ours is just simple plywood on frame w/ single axle. Can put 1 bike in the middle or 2 bikes which we currently have setup. Was being pulled by a 94 then a 98 honda civic for hours at a time with no issues.

9/15/2018 3:16pm
You'd have to do some very creative modifications to get the hitch to mount to the subframe. With all of that tongue weight, you'd also probably...

Good luck dude!
So step dads brother says he can wield any material. A DIY might be coming soon! I just really want to avoid a trailer due to...
So step dads brother says he can wield any material. A DIY might be coming soon! I just really want to avoid a trailer due to space restrictions. Any recommendations on ways to brace the hitch or maybe the bike hauler to the frame for some increased tongue weight strength will be much appreciated.
I'm not much of an engineer, but i'd imagine you want the weight of the hitch/bike as close to the rear axle as possible. Maximize the surface contact of hitch to the subframe to distribute the force /stress exerted.

As far rear suspension, I'd try to find either stiffer springs or HD shocks and swap those out as well.
motokawi818
9/15/2018 3:36pm
Thanks for the tips everyone! If I do go the trailer route any recommendations on super cheap minimal trailers?
9/15/2018 4:01pm Edited Date/Time 9/15/2018 4:07pm
Trailer is for sure the way to go. My buddy put a hitch hauler on a Jeep Wrangler and it was super sketchy. The thing wouldn’t turn because it was practically wheelieing down the road.

https://theusatrailerstore.com/ace-single-motorcycle-trailer/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIv5esio6-3QIVCz9pCh2GAgwoEAQYAiABEgI6BvD_BwE

Something like this would be the hot ticket. Find a used one on Craigslist or Facebook Marketplace.
BR8ES
9/15/2018 4:42pm Edited Date/Time 9/15/2018 4:43pm
no way could you use a hitch rack unless you jack it up like a 70s cartoon car(maybe feathered hair and a roach clip hanging from your rearview mirror) then use airbags. It would scrape everywhere otherwise.
mxracer666
9/15/2018 5:07pm
A hitch rack plus the weight of the MX bike is going to lift the front wheels off the ground , on that Prius! Trailer is the way to go. The real issue is, how have you decided to tell your friends and family, that you are gay?
Zachintosh
9/15/2018 5:11pm
A buddy of mine ran a standard class I hitch from Uhaul on his 2013 Prius to tow a 2-rail trailer and two bikes. No issues after countless trips. Even the smaller Prius C can tow, as seen here.

Taylor415
9/15/2018 5:17pm
My buddy hauls his bike and trailer with an srt4 neon. Looks pretty cool, haha.
Matt Fisher
Fantasy
1084th
9/15/2018 5:19pm
I literally just bought a hitch hauler two hours ago to use with our Durango. No way I'd want to use it on a Prius. Bikes are just over seven feet long, which means it'd stick out each side of your car by about a foot! Combining the weight of the bike plus the carrier three feet off the back of your little Toyota is a recipe for disaster, imo.

A single rail trailer would work great though.

Since your closest track is DT-1 in Tulare, I'll likely see you there. I have met several guys from Fresno and Clovis that ride at that track, so in time you might be able to buddy up and not use the Prius all that often.
imoto316
9/15/2018 5:22pm
Towing with a Prius may void the Manufacture's warranty. My 2008 Mazda 3 Hatchback had such a stipulation in the owner's manual. You may want to check it out.

I waited until my warranty period expired and then put a class 1 hitch on the car.
DA498
9/15/2018 5:50pm
Thanks for the tips everyone! If I do go the trailer route any recommendations on super cheap minimal trailers?
Check out harbor freight
Timo_2824
9/15/2018 6:11pm
I bought a 4x8 from Northern Tools, you assemble it and add a deck of your choice. I did a 3/4 thick piece of plywood, wish I would have used 2x6's looking back. If you go this route ditch the stock tires with some rated at a higher speed. I also upgraded the coupler to a 2 inch ball so I wouldn't have to have a separate one for the jetski. I sold it to a friend who is still using it, only thing wrong with it is the paint. The nice red will turn pink in about 2 years of outside storage.
Doddy
9/15/2018 6:29pm
One of the only scenarios that I can think of that a black truck may not cut off a Prius, unless of course the bike happens to be a 4stroke..................... then all bets are off at that point.
logan_140
9/15/2018 6:40pm
600/s1200_2A6EE14C_8E66_419E_9739_27B6B69C522F.jpg" class="img-fluid" />

2016 Mazda 3
logan_140
9/15/2018 6:42pm Edited Date/Time 9/15/2018 6:44pm
That’s my 2016 Mazda 3. Didn’t buy a truck right now because i drive a lot for work. That’s a curt class 1 hitch. Didn’t bother to wire it
MR. X
9/15/2018 6:45pm
You might have better luck towing the prius with your dirtbike
motoman617
9/15/2018 6:49pm
Friend on mine was on the freeway last week and his wife snapped this pic

He thought it was pretty funny and said now he had seen it all.
motokawi818
9/15/2018 6:57pm
I literally just bought a hitch hauler two hours ago to use with our Durango. No way I'd want to use it on a Prius. Bikes...
I literally just bought a hitch hauler two hours ago to use with our Durango. No way I'd want to use it on a Prius. Bikes are just over seven feet long, which means it'd stick out each side of your car by about a foot! Combining the weight of the bike plus the carrier three feet off the back of your little Toyota is a recipe for disaster, imo.

A single rail trailer would work great though.

Since your closest track is DT-1 in Tulare, I'll likely see you there. I have met several guys from Fresno and Clovis that ride at that track, so in time you might be able to buddy up and not use the Prius all that often.
I’m literally at Dt1 every weekend. In a red truck with the 69 Honda. But yeah it’s looking like a little trailer is the best bet.
motokawi818
9/15/2018 6:59pm
mxracer666 wrote:
A hitch rack plus the weight of the MX bike is going to lift the front wheels off the ground , on that Prius! Trailer is...
A hitch rack plus the weight of the MX bike is going to lift the front wheels off the ground , on that Prius! Trailer is the way to go. The real issue is, how have you decided to tell your friends and family, that you are gay?
If being gay means 50mpg then call me Elton john.
sdmx
Fantasy
1120th
9/15/2018 7:04pm
If space to keep a trailer is a problem, get one of those harbor freight trailers that folds in half and has casters at the fold. You can just fold it in half and wheel it into a pretty tight space.

Post a reply to: Hauling bike with prius

The Latest