Has there been an Alta snowbike yet?

Related:
Create New Tag

12/15/2017 11:32 PM
Edited Date/Time: 12/15/2017 11:33 PM

Useless thread but.....Would the gobs of trq help? Was just watching Brett Cues youtube of him and Josh Hill and I thought itd be crazy to see him out there with his Alta

|

12/15/2017 11:53 PM

It might have a lot of torque but what you need is a lot of HP. I mean some of the bikes have over 100+ HP.

I think an Alta might do okay on a snocross/mx track where the snow isn't that deep but I don't see it doing well in the backcountry.

|

"Sorry Goose, but it's time to buzz the tower."

12/16/2017 12:21 AM

I'd assume it's likely going to drain that battery a whole lot faster with all that resistance

|

Cheers, Crush
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


12/16/2017 1:03 AM

Batteries don't work very well in low temperatures.

|

12/16/2017 5:59 AM

Crush wrote:

I'd assume it's likely going to drain that battery a whole lot faster with all that resistance

That was my thought. Stranded a lot quicker than usual.

|

12/16/2017 6:02 AM

-MAVERICK- wrote:

It might have a lot of torque but what you need is a lot of HP. I mean some of the bikes have over 100+ HP.

I think an Alta might do okay on a snocross/mx track where the snow isn't that deep but I don't see it doing well in the backcountry.

A 125 will turn a track, you don’t need big HP. Obviously the more HP you have the better you do in deep snow but lots of guys running 350 4 strokes. My buddy own Beta Canada, he was testing a bunch of kits last season on 350, 390, 430 and 500’s.

|

12/16/2017 6:12 AM

-MAVERICK- wrote:

It might have a lot of torque but what you need is a lot of HP. I mean some of the bikes have over 100+ HP.

I think an Alta might do okay on a snocross/mx track where the snow isn't that deep but I don't see it doing well in the backcountry.

Example of 100hp please.

|

12/16/2017 6:40 AM

Electronics and water normally don't mix well.

|

12/16/2017 7:15 AM

-MAVERICK- wrote:

It might have a lot of torque but what you need is a lot of HP. I mean some of the bikes have over 100+ HP.

I think an Alta might do okay on a snocross/mx track where the snow isn't that deep but I don't see it doing well in the backcountry.

LungButter wrote:

Example of 100hp please.

Google "turbo snowbike"

|

12/16/2017 7:31 AM

Crush wrote:

I'd assume it's likely going to drain that battery a whole lot faster with all that resistance

I would agree with this. The more load it takes, the quicker it goes through the battery. Loamy tracks versus hardpack are quite noticeable on battery life for this bike.

|

12/16/2017 7:33 AM

reded wrote:

Electronics and water normally don't mix well.

While I do think battery life would be poor on an Alta snowbike, moisture won't be an issue. The bike is IP 68 rated, meaning it can be under 3ft of water for 30 minutes without issue.

|

12/16/2017 8:11 AM
Edited Date/Time: 12/16/2017 8:12 AM

A 450 is too slow for snow. That Hus 701 would be much nicer. Or one of those maico 700 2-stroke.

|

12/16/2017 8:23 AM

reded wrote:

Electronics and water normally don't mix well.

The alta is waterproof, as you'd expect from an electric dirt bike.

|

12/16/2017 8:25 AM

Tuna wrote:

A 125 will turn a track, you don’t need big HP. Obviously the more HP you have the better you do in deep snow but lots of guys running 350 4 strokes. My buddy own Beta Canada, he was testing a bunch of kits last season on 350, 390, 430 and 500’s.

Have you ridden a snow bike? 450's feel like absolute dogs. It takes a lot of power to turn a track, and track speed is everything in deep snow. I think the Alta would feel like a TTR 125

|

Tomac and/or Anderson for 2020.....

12/16/2017 8:26 AM

The alta is fine in the snow, just needs mo battery. *not my bike
Photo

Photo

|

12/16/2017 8:30 AM

colintrax wrote:

The alta is fine in the snow, just needs mo battery. *not my bike
Photo

Photo

That doesn't have the added weight of a track kit. Add that and I'm not so sure it would do all that great especially in the backcountry. Like I previously mentioned I think it could do okay on a snocross/mx track but it wouldn't be fast by any means.

|

"Sorry Goose, but it's time to buzz the tower."

12/16/2017 8:37 AM

-MAVERICK- wrote:

That doesn't have the added weight of a track kit. Add that and I'm not so sure it would do all that great especially in the backcountry. Like I previously mentioned I think it could do okay on a snocross/mx track but it wouldn't be fast by any means.

Yeah I was more responding to the water concern.
With the track I can't see it being real quick. Would certainly need a bigger battery.
But idk, we don't have snobikes in the south.

|

12/16/2017 12:02 PM

Yeah I guess if it had the same trq but triple the HP itd be ideal.

Snow water isnt much of a concern as Im sure they are reliable and waterproof enough where that isnt a concern.

Although i did not think of the cold affecting the battery and the excess drain from the load of the snow/track.

Cool to think about thanks for helpin me pick my brain guys!

|

12/16/2017 12:07 PM

hyler199 wrote:

Yeah I guess if it had the same trq but triple the HP itd be ideal.

Snow water isnt much of a concern as Im sure they are reliable and waterproof enough where that isnt a concern.

Although i did not think of the cold affecting the battery and the excess drain from the load of the snow/track.

Cool to think about thanks for helpin me pick my brain guys!

Not sure where you're located in Canada but if you're in Ontario you might want to check out the CSRA races over the winter. They have snowbike races if you would like to check them out for yourself.

|

"Sorry Goose, but it's time to buzz the tower."

12/16/2017 12:16 PM

hyler199 wrote:

Yeah I guess if it had the same trq but triple the HP itd be ideal.

Snow water isnt much of a concern as Im sure they are reliable and waterproof enough where that isnt a concern.

Although i did not think of the cold affecting the battery and the excess drain from the load of the snow/track.

Cool to think about thanks for helpin me pick my brain guys!

-MAVERICK- wrote:

Not sure where you're located in Canada but if you're in Ontario you might want to check out the CSRA races over the winter. They have snowbike races if you would like to check them out for yourself.

Ya mon im in the Scarborough/Pickering area! thanks bookmarked their website

|

12/16/2017 12:32 PM

hyler199 wrote:

Yeah I guess if it had the same trq but triple the HP itd be ideal.

Snow water isnt much of a concern as Im sure they are reliable and waterproof enough where that isnt a concern.

Although i did not think of the cold affecting the battery and the excess drain from the load of the snow/track.

Cool to think about thanks for helpin me pick my brain guys!

-MAVERICK- wrote:

Not sure where you're located in Canada but if you're in Ontario you might want to check out the CSRA races over the winter. They have snowbike races if you would like to check them out for yourself.

hyler199 wrote:

Ya mon im in the Scarborough/Pickering area! thanks bookmarked their website

Not sure how long you've been following Canadian motocross but if the name Nathan Bles rings a bell he's last year's snowbike champion.

|

"Sorry Goose, but it's time to buzz the tower."

12/16/2017 10:21 PM
Edited Date/Time: 12/16/2017 10:21 PM

-MAVERICK- wrote:

It might have a lot of torque but what you need is a lot of HP. I mean some of the bikes have over 100+ HP.

I think an Alta might do okay on a snocross/mx track where the snow isn't that deep but I don't see it doing well in the backcountry.

LungButter wrote:

Example of 100hp please.

The 565cc Liger cylinder CR500 motor has done 96hp at rear tire on a dyno.

|

12/17/2017 10:39 AM

I don’t think it would work to well.

|

12/18/2017 3:39 AM

-MAVERICK- wrote:

It might have a lot of torque but what you need is a lot of HP. I mean some of the bikes have over 100+ HP.

I think an Alta might do okay on a snocross/mx track where the snow isn't that deep but I don't see it doing well in the backcountry.

Tuna wrote:

A 125 will turn a track, you don’t need big HP. Obviously the more HP you have the better you do in deep snow but lots of guys running 350 4 strokes. My buddy own Beta Canada, he was testing a bunch of kits last season on 350, 390, 430 and 500’s.

BobPA wrote:

Have you ridden a snow bike? 450's feel like absolute dogs. It takes a lot of power to turn a track, and track speed is everything in deep snow. I think the Alta would feel like a TTR 125

Sure have, quite a few different sizes and models. I live in snow country dude. The Beta 350 we tested worked fine. I’ve tried 350 up to 570. Yeti, Camso, Timbersled, you name it.
How many have you ridden?
That’s like saying my Renegade 600 is useless in the snow.

|

12/18/2017 4:39 AM

hyler199 wrote:

Useless thread but.....Would the gobs of trq help? Was just watching Brett Cues youtube of him and Josh Hill and I thought itd be crazy to see him out there with his Alta

Hmmm, Josh Hill was in our shop last week, buying a Timbersled kit...

|

12/18/2017 6:31 AM

Tuna wrote:

Sure have, quite a few different sizes and models. I live in snow country dude. The Beta 350 we tested worked fine. I’ve tried 350 up to 570. Yeti, Camso, Timbersled, you name it.
How many have you ridden?
That’s like saying my Renegade 600 is useless in the snow.

Isn't your Renegade 100 horsepower?

|

12/18/2017 6:37 AM

BobPA wrote:

Have you ridden a snow bike? 450's feel like absolute dogs. It takes a lot of power to turn a track, and track speed is everything in deep snow. I think the Alta would feel like a TTR 125

Tuna wrote:

Sure have, quite a few different sizes and models. I live in snow country dude. The Beta 350 we tested worked fine. I’ve tried 350 up to 570. Yeti, Camso, Timbersled, you name it.
How many have you ridden?
That’s like saying my Renegade 600 is useless in the snow.

Dirty Points wrote:

Isn't your Renegade 100 horsepower?

Closer to 120 but hard to compare to snow bikes. My point was that a 154 track 175hp 850 with 2.5 paddles is gonna work better in deep mountain back country but my 136 track with 1.25 lugs works fine unless I’m climbing mountains. I rode a 350 with a Yeti kit and it had no problem getting going again after stopping and sinking in 4feet of powder.

|

12/18/2017 6:56 AM
Edited Date/Time: 12/18/2017 7:07 AM

A 350 has 30% more peak horsepower over the Alta.

|

12/18/2017 8:10 AM
Edited Date/Time: 12/18/2017 8:11 AM

hyler199 wrote:

Useless thread but.....Would the gobs of trq help? Was just watching Brett Cues youtube of him and Josh Hill and I thought itd be crazy to see him out there with his Alta

TerryB wrote:

Hmmm, Josh Hill was in our shop last week, buying a Timbersled kit...

Probably because he has been racing one on a YZ450F.

|

12/18/2017 8:17 AM

hyler199 wrote:

Useless thread but.....Would the gobs of trq help? Was just watching Brett Cues youtube of him and Josh Hill and I thought itd be crazy to see him out there with his Alta

TerryB wrote:

Hmmm, Josh Hill was in our shop last week, buying a Timbersled kit...

I think he's riding the AMA Snowbike series or some events. I know there's an event in Oregon.

|

"Sorry Goose, but it's time to buzz the tower."