Has anyone tried these Emig lock-on grips yet?

Ramrod
Fantasy
1880th
12/2/2013 2:51pm Edited Date/Time 10/21/2014 1:46pm
They look good plus you don't have to glue or wire them down. Has anyone tried these yet?

Are they thicker than normal grips?

|
Olson
12/2/2013 3:40pm
I'm sort of interested in these too, it's a good thought. I currently run the ODI TLD grips and they are the best I've tried yet. Any info on how thick they are compared to any other grips? Is the throttle tube part of the grip? Nylon? Aluminum? Price? If the throttle tube is included the price must raise and I'm not sure I want to spend about $100 for a pair of grips I'll most certainly wreck within 10h.
Terryble
12/2/2013 3:51pm
From what Emig said on DMXS the other day the grip is molded directly onto the throttle tube, not just glued on later. The tube looks like its just plastic and they use a universal tube with a little piece that locks onto the end so that any set can be used on several models.

The retail price is $24.95
MarkF
12/2/2013 4:06pm
Ramrod wrote:
They look good plus you don't have to glue or wire them down. Has anyone tried these yet? Are they thicker than normal grips? [img]http://www.odigrips.com/images/products/thumb/EMIG_v2_blackandwhite.jpg[/img]
They look good plus you don't have to glue or wire them down. Has anyone tried these yet?

I have tried them. They do everything they say they will do. However, I could not get used to the left grip being the same diameter as the right, so I put stock ones back on.
sec114
12/2/2013 4:22pm
i do know i have ODI lock on grips on 4 of my mountain bikes and cant immagine using anything else.

The Shop

peelout
12/2/2013 4:28pm
i was wondering when someone would come out with these for moto, they're better than sliced bread in the mountain bike world.

my current mtn-bike grips and at $20 a set hard to beat

disbanded
Fantasy
1842nd
12/2/2013 4:40pm
I tried the Emig grips and my freakin handlebars fell off. I want a refund, Jeff!
Brad873
12/2/2013 5:07pm
I've been using the regular ODI lock ons and love them. Will probably give the Emig grips a try next summer.
Ramrod
Fantasy
1880th
12/2/2013 6:42pm
Ramrod wrote:
They look good plus you don't have to glue or wire them down. Has anyone tried these yet? Are they thicker than normal grips? [img]http://www.odigrips.com/images/products/thumb/EMIG_v2_blackandwhite.jpg[/img]

MarkF wrote:
I have tried them. They do everything they say they will do. However, I could not get used to the left grip being the same diameter...
I have tried them. They do everything they say they will do. However, I could not get used to the left grip being the same diameter as the right, so I put stock ones back on.
The grip diameter might be a problem for me to get used to also. I think I'm going to try a pair, they're only $24.
slipdog
12/2/2013 7:04pm
Been using ODI lock on's off and on since my '03 YZ 450 and love the way form to your hand like Doc Martins do to your feet.

I wouldn't think of putting grips on my bike with someone else's name on them though... Lame!
visser62
12/2/2013 7:17pm
ODI has some sweet lock-on MTB grips that are a collaboration with Vans and have the waffle design that you see on the bottom of a pair of Vans.
hvaughn88
12/2/2013 7:20pm
I kinda see where you're coming from with the name thing. But I think it might be more of a "branding" attempt. I know it's not the same exact situation, but I wouldn't have a problem wearing "Troy lee" products. With that being said, I still they would look better without the emig logo. I'll probably still try them at some point, though
Ramrod
Fantasy
1880th
12/2/2013 7:28pm
No one will see the emig name while I'm riding and besides, if any of his skill can transfer over to me through his grips will be much needed...
C.Worthy
12/2/2013 7:31pm
I would definitely try them out if they didn't have someone else's last name on it which is ironic because I ride in Fox and Troy Lee gear. haha
mxnick
12/2/2013 7:33pm
hvaughn88 wrote:
I kinda see where you're coming from with the name thing. But I think it might be more of a "branding" attempt. I know it's not...
I kinda see where you're coming from with the name thing. But I think it might be more of a "branding" attempt. I know it's not the same exact situation, but I wouldn't have a problem wearing "Troy lee" products. With that being said, I still they would look better without the emig logo. I'll probably still try them at some point, though
Cool Stuff!

For those talking about the name, it is worth noting that Jeff's dad Gary has been making MX products for a long time, and under the name "Emig Racing and "GER" (short for Gary Emig Racing. I used to run his triple clamps back in the day. Jeff's brother Bryan was involved for a while as well.

He has been making products since the time Jeff was running #747 back in 1989...
lilbulld
12/2/2013 7:36pm
peelout wrote:
i was wondering when someone would come out with these for moto, they're better than sliced bread in the mountain bike world. my current mtn-bike grips...
i was wondering when someone would come out with these for moto, they're better than sliced bread in the mountain bike world.

Troy Lee ODI Mx grips are excellent, although they are not lock ons
peelout
12/3/2013 9:35am
visser62 wrote:
ODI has some sweet lock-on MTB grips that are a collaboration with Vans and have the waffle design that you see on the bottom of a...
ODI has some sweet lock-on MTB grips that are a collaboration with Vans and have the waffle design that you see on the bottom of a pair of Vans.
i ordered my set with the white checker lock-ons the other day, very cool and a great company to deal with. their beer-coozies are awesome too, they have the little grip flange on the top of them. very cool

wydopen
12/3/2013 11:37am
peelout wrote:
i was wondering when someone would come out with these for moto, they're better than sliced bread in the mountain bike world. my current mtn-bike grips...

meh..

im not a fan of lock on mtb grips anymore..

i like em thin and i ride gloveless so i dont like having the metal lock ring on the end of the grip..

these are the best mtb grips ive used...either that or renthal mtb non lock ons...

http://shop.thesensus.com/product/neon-green-swayze
bayodome
Fantasy
4180th
12/3/2013 11:40am
Ridden with the Emig Lock Ons a couple of times now. They're a little thicker than your standard half-waffle grip, but are very cushy and are holding up well so far.

We've also been running the other half waffle Version 2 ODi Lock Ons for a bit. Big fan of those. About regular size compared to other glue-on half waffle grips but hold up very well. Have had a few spills on these and there is barely any wear. Even if they do tear, it will not ruin the entire grip. Great so far!
hvaughn88
12/3/2013 11:57am
visser62 wrote:
ODI has some sweet lock-on MTB grips that are a collaboration with Vans and have the waffle design that you see on the bottom of a...
peelout wrote:
i ordered my set with the white checker lock-ons the other day, very cool and a great company to deal with. their beer-coozies are awesome too...
i ordered my set with the white checker lock-ons the other day, very cool and a great company to deal with. their beer-coozies are awesome too, they have the little grip flange on the top of them. very cool

those are badass. I'm gonna have to order a pair now. I have had the ruffians and the I also had the intense signature model on my bike because I ride an intense spyder. Have you gotten to try yours yet?
peelout
12/3/2013 12:00pm
hvaughn88 wrote:
those are badass. I'm gonna have to order a pair now. I have had the ruffians and the I also had the intense signature model on...
those are badass. I'm gonna have to order a pair now. I have had the ruffians and the I also had the intense signature model on my bike because I ride an intense spyder. Have you gotten to try yours yet?
i ordered them yesterday and they are showing up tomorrow. i also ordered my buddy the same set but black with custom engraving on the clamps. very impressed with the turn-around on them, ODI seems like they have their shit straight for sure
hvaughn88
12/3/2013 12:07pm
peelout wrote:
i ordered them yesterday and they are showing up tomorrow. i also ordered my buddy the same set but black with custom engraving on the clamps...
i ordered them yesterday and they are showing up tomorrow. i also ordered my buddy the same set but black with custom engraving on the clamps. very impressed with the turn-around on them, ODI seems like they have their shit straight for sure
that's awesome, thanks for sharing and can't wait to try them
The Rock
12/3/2013 12:52pm
No but I do have experience with the Boyesen Shok Out product and it helped lessen the abuse on my left wrist substantially when I raced the Stealth Pro.
Socket946
3/25/2014 7:27am
I ordered a set. Should be here today. I usually use the Renthal Kevlars.
moto314
3/25/2014 7:48am
bayodome wrote:
Ridden with the Emig Lock Ons a couple of times now. They're a little thicker than your standard half-waffle grip, but are very cushy and are...
Ridden with the Emig Lock Ons a couple of times now. They're a little thicker than your standard half-waffle grip, but are very cushy and are holding up well so far.

We've also been running the other half waffle Version 2 ODi Lock Ons for a bit. Big fan of those. About regular size compared to other glue-on half waffle grips but hold up very well. Have had a few spills on these and there is barely any wear. Even if they do tear, it will not ruin the entire grip. Great so far!
Is there any difference between the Emig grips and the non-Emig ODI lock on grips, other than the name?
3/26/2014 4:44am Edited Date/Time 3/26/2014 4:45am
do these grips have hard ends on them? (so you cant rip the ends like normal grips) - looking at buying some but not sure about that - also if i buy the '4 stroke' ones will they fit a 2012 ktm 450? are they universal? thanks
thanks
Markee
Fantasy
2006th
3/26/2014 6:15am
The grips are awesome. I will run nothing else. no glue, no wire, no bull shit.

Those vans lock ons are awesome! peelout, get me some too homie aahh mean bro!
3/26/2014 6:27am
Markee wrote:
The grips are awesome. I will run nothing else. no glue, no wire, no bull shit. Those vans lock ons are awesome! peelout, get me some...
The grips are awesome. I will run nothing else. no glue, no wire, no bull shit.

Those vans lock ons are awesome! peelout, get me some too homie aahh mean bro!
are the ends of them more durable than normal grips? i dont mind paying more for a set of these if they will last longer than normal grips. I tend to tear the end of my grips before actually wearing them out with nomal grips (from crashing) - are the emig grips better for not being damaged in a crash? or are the ends replaceable? made out of harder material than the rest of the grip?
Markee
Fantasy
2006th
3/26/2014 7:03am
This the new version of the grip, it has a hard plastic outer, but I drilled a hole to run the bar ends.

Post a reply to: Has anyone tried these Emig lock-on grips yet?

The Latest