Has anyone tried the Leatt helmet yet?

4/27/2016 10:49am Edited Date/Time 5/10/2016 2:41pm
Don't want to start a helmet debate, just wondering if anyone has bought and ridden in one yet?

My son had a bad get off resulting in a concussion last weekend and am now looking for a new helmet.
he was wearing a Shoie and I am not to impressed with it. Yes its a top level helmet but it seems with the new technology 6D brought along and now Leatt that Shoie is not keeping up.

I've never liked 6D for the fact that the helmet its self is bigger which Leatt addressed and confirmed my concern.

bottom line I am going to replace it with something better and am leaning towards the Leatt just looking for any real world input.

|
4/27/2016 10:58am
ocscottie wrote:
Looks rather interesting, just watched this video about it: https://youtu.be/pLyNJjZI1Js
Looks rather interesting, just watched this video about it:

https://youtu.be/pLyNJjZI1Js
I like the 360 disc they put in. seems like they are getting close to the same results as 6d without the added bulk but is the disc in direct contact with the head effective..........
4/27/2016 11:09am Edited Date/Time 4/27/2016 11:12am
I've been using fly f2 Carbon. Took a big digger and broke my collarbone. No head injury. Helmet broke. Did its job. Immediately bought another one.

I think the most important thing is proper fit an atleast dot AND snell approved. Airohs are great as well but use a different rating system other than dot and snell.
KennyT
Fantasy
479th
4/27/2016 11:23am
That was a very impressive video. Looks to me like it would be very comparable if not better than the 6D for safety but what I like is that the shell size is smaller. As someone who wears a XL helmet I am all for something not so bulky. Would be great for kids too as I'm sure the bigger shells r not very comfortable for their smaller frames

The Shop

davistld01
4/27/2016 11:24am
The Leatt looks better than the 6D too, IMO. The 6D looks oversized.
jonesaustin
4/27/2016 11:50am
Looks like another helmet based on this 15 year old Shoei design. Aside from Airoh and Arai, I think Bell and everyone has simply adopted this one shell and made small refinements.
4/27/2016 12:01pm Edited Date/Time 4/27/2016 12:19pm
not guinea pigs yet? no one willing to strap one on and take a digger on purpose lol

damn it so tempting to go with this over the 6d but just not enough real world feed back.

I may just pull the trigger on it since he also wears the neck brace.

the impact he took was right on the front of the helmet, forehead and mouth piece took the impact. first section of the foam is all crumpled and cracked. he dropped out of my line of sight just before impacting the ground so not sure if he hit face first and the feet came up over the head or if he hit face first and the feet flopped straight down. If the feet went over the head id say the neck brace also saved him from further injury.

he hit a kicker on a finish line table. Saw him flying front end low and listened for the panic rev but nothing. He landed fully on the front wheel rode it out on the front wheel for about 5 feet then the spokes blew out the rime bet and over the bars he went.

hvaughn88
4/27/2016 12:04pm Edited Date/Time 4/27/2016 1:06pm
not guinea pigs yet? no one willing to strap one on and take a digger on purpose lol damn it so tempting to go with this...
not guinea pigs yet? no one willing to strap one on and take a digger on purpose lol

damn it so tempting to go with this over the 6d but just not enough real world feed back.

the impact he took was right on the front of the helmet, forehead and mouth piece took the impact. first section of the foam is all crumpled and cracked. he dropped out of my line of sight just before impacting the ground so not sure if he hit face first and the feet came up over the head or if he hit face first and the feet flopped straight down. If the feet went over the head id say the neck brace also saved him from further injury.

he hit a kicker on a finish line table. Saw him flying front end low and listened for the panic rev but nothing. He landed fully on the front wheel rode it out on the front wheel for about 5 feet then the spokes blew out the rime bet and over the bars he went.

i'm more of an adenine kind of pigTongue

Well, the edit killed that joke, haha
4/27/2016 12:18pm
the other helmet im considering is the Bell moto 9 flex but leatt is pricing their stuff at $349 for the composite and its only 2oz heavier than the carbon version. which makes it very attractive. not that cost will be the only factor. I would gladly pay the $700 if there was enough factual data that it was that much better than anything else.

dak446
4/27/2016 12:26pm
I just ordered one Tuesday. Should be here soon
Yamaha573
4/27/2016 12:40pm
I've been using fly f2 Carbon. Took a big digger and broke my collarbone. No head injury. Helmet broke. Did its job. Immediately bought another one...
I've been using fly f2 Carbon. Took a big digger and broke my collarbone. No head injury. Helmet broke. Did its job. Immediately bought another one.

I think the most important thing is proper fit an atleast dot AND snell approved. Airohs are great as well but use a different rating system other than dot and snell.
Arioh is dot and ece approved which a majority helmet manufacturers are going too. Fox v3 and v4, 6D, suomy, just1, and a few other of the higher end helmets are ece approved instead of snell. Ece is in the middle of dot and snell basically.
mattyhamz2
Fantasy
760th
4/27/2016 12:50pm
not guinea pigs yet? no one willing to strap one on and take a digger on purpose lol damn it so tempting to go with this...

Sounds to me like it didn't matter what helmet he was wearing. Hope he's doing ok now!
NHtoWA421
4/27/2016 12:53pm Edited Date/Time 4/27/2016 12:54pm
i intended on ordering one a few months back, however they were sold out of my size. its a solid piece of engineering for sure, and the concept behind it is really solid. My one reservation about it was the seemingly giant vents. i was a tittle worried about penetration.
TeamGreen
4/27/2016 12:53pm
There's some good stuff coming out over the next month or 2....

If I were looking at a new helmet, I'd be patient.
hvaughn88
4/27/2016 1:05pm
TeamGreen wrote:

the new TLD? others?
4/27/2016 1:30pm
NHtoWA421 wrote:
i intended on ordering one a few months back, however they were sold out of my size. its a solid piece of engineering for sure, and...
i intended on ordering one a few months back, however they were sold out of my size. its a solid piece of engineering for sure, and the concept behind it is really solid. My one reservation about it was the seemingly giant vents. i was a tittle worried about penetration.
there is a video that shows them dropping the spike right on the vents and it doesn't penetrate.
4/27/2016 1:35pm
TeamGreen wrote:

spill the beans lol

he is pretty spooked and said he wont hit anything big until he gets a new top level helmet. we have a couple higher end one industries helmets but he said he wont trust them...

I am not in rush to get him back on the bike or pushing him to go big but at the same time I don't want him to be scared and never progress again.
4/27/2016 1:39pm
dak446 wrote:
I just ordered one Tuesday. Should be here soon
once you get it let me know what you think of it.

jasonv43
4/27/2016 4:33pm
TeamGreen wrote:

Go on.....
4/27/2016 6:19pm
You got me thinking with that one..
I'm on my second Suomy but looking for a change. My second one, for some reason, the inner foam is cracking in places (not do to big hits....not sure why)
I'm mainly offroad also...so the integrated hydration system would be nice.
tempura
4/27/2016 6:52pm
Any idea where this is made?
bh84
Fantasy
1853rd
4/27/2016 7:02pm
I've been using fly f2 Carbon. Took a big digger and broke my collarbone. No head injury. Helmet broke. Did its job. Immediately bought another one...

Yamaha573 wrote:
Arioh is dot and ece approved which a majority helmet manufacturers are going too. Fox v3 and v4, 6D, suomy, just1, and a few other of...
Arioh is dot and ece approved which a majority helmet manufacturers are going too. Fox v3 and v4, 6D, suomy, just1, and a few other of the higher end helmets are ece approved instead of snell. Ece is in the middle of dot and snell basically.
SNELL is more of an auto racing test. Multiple impact, meaning the helmet has to be stiffer and heavier. ECE is a single impact test, more focused on motorcycles and single impact crashes. This allows for a softer;(read: more impact absorbent) helmet that can also be built lighter. Thats why more and more helmet makers are going to ECE certified rather than SNELL. When I sell helmets at work, I describe ECE as a superior testing method when compared with SNELL
TeamGreen
4/27/2016 7:49pm
Yesterday I wore a new helmet that reminded me of a helmet I wore in the '80's. In an aircraft.
That helmet provided critical information and was fitted to my head...like a glove.

The helmet I wore, yesterday, was not only lighter...
But, it contributed to my situational awareness in a way that reminded me of that helmet I wore 30 years, ago.

And that's all I got to say about that.
Mini Elsinore
4/27/2016 8:05pm
TeamGreen wrote:
Yesterday I wore a new helmet that reminded me of a helmet I wore in the '80's. In an aircraft. That helmet provided critical information and...
Yesterday I wore a new helmet that reminded me of a helmet I wore in the '80's. In an aircraft.
That helmet provided critical information and was fitted to my head...like a glove.

But, it contributed to my situational awareness in a way that reminded me of that helmet I wore 30 years, ago.

....and you drove right past free tacos and cerveza (and bench racing) when whizzing past Huntington Beach!
Charper732
4/27/2016 8:08pm
the other helmet im considering is the Bell moto 9 flex but leatt is pricing their stuff at $349 for the composite and its only 2oz...
the other helmet im considering is the Bell moto 9 flex but leatt is pricing their stuff at $349 for the composite and its only 2oz heavier than the carbon version. which makes it very attractive. not that cost will be the only factor. I would gladly pay the $700 if there was enough factual data that it was that much better than anything else.

Where are you finding it for 349?? i can only find them for $600
KennyT
Fantasy
479th
4/27/2016 8:14pm
Great review....you should do testing for MXA. That was better product review than they currently have going on
KennyT
Fantasy
479th
4/27/2016 8:16pm
TeamGreen wrote:
Yesterday I wore a new helmet that reminded me of a helmet I wore in the '80's. In an aircraft. That helmet provided critical information and...

Is that a street bike or dirt bike helmet? Heads up display or just a figure of speech Smile
Mini Elsinore
4/27/2016 8:16pm Edited Date/Time 4/27/2016 8:18pm
the other helmet im considering is the Bell moto 9 flex but leatt is pricing their stuff at $349 for the composite and its only 2oz...

Charper732 wrote:
Where are you finding it for 349?? i can only find them for $600
I'm not the OP, but:
The previous moto 9 is available for $349 at motorcycle closeouts.
I'm seeing the new moto 9 @ $699---where are you finding it for 6 bones even?
Calihusky
4/27/2016 9:27pm
TeamGreen wrote:

Did you happen to wear this new helmet at Pala yesterday?
JackLHyde
4/27/2016 11:31pm Edited Date/Time 4/27/2016 11:33pm
TeamGreen wrote:

Sounds like the Bell custom fit programme, where your head is getting 3D-scanned and the foam will be specifically cut to the measurements. I saw something about it months ago, but since I didn't read anything on here I asumed it died off, as the weekend warrior won't pay the extra pricetag.

On another note, Shoei is supposed to release a new model for 2017.

To the ones having the Leatt, is it loud? I have a roughly 10 year old Arai VX3-Pro, which I think should be replaced ASAP. It's pretty quiet itself, but I started using earplugs aswell.

I'm leaned towards a Fly F2 Carbon.

Post a reply to: Has anyone tried the Leatt helmet yet?

The Latest