Has anyone tried mx in the snow?

Related:
Create New Tag

10/31/2013 12:13 PM

Photo

This looks wild!

Made by a company in Idaho called Timbersled.
|

10/31/2013 12:40 PM
Edited Date/Time: 10/31/2013 12:41 PM

Yes I have, and it's FUCKING AWESOME. You really don't have "snow" in Onterrible, or mountains though......

|

10/31/2013 12:46 PM

I'm sure this comes round every year on here

|

10/31/2013 1:42 PM

I have,

?t=3m25s

good stuff.
|

10/31/2013 1:45 PM

I've heard of a couple people around here having them. From what I understand they're better on heavy or more packed snow cause they dont float as well as a snowmobile.

|

I want to get a vending machine with fun sized candy bars and the glass in front is a magnifying glass. You'll be mad but it will be too late.

10/31/2013 1:57 PM

JerseyFresh wrote:

I've heard of a couple people around here having them. From what I understand they're better on heavy or more packed snow ...more

Not true JerseyFresh. They will carve the deep stuff and climb even better than many stock sleds. Maneuverability in the trees is absolutely insane compared to a sled as well. Only things I didn't like about it was not having a front brake (felt so awkward at first) and they don't go very far on a tank of gas. 2.2 gallons only delivers an hour or so of deep powder playtime.

|

Even a broken clock is right twice a day.

10/31/2013 2:01 PM

I have, my nose ran better than my bike....shocked

|

10/31/2013 2:52 PM

Not powder but MX in the snow-

-Photo

|

10/31/2013 2:56 PM

Race got cancelled from the storm but I still wanted to ride. No problem once the bike finally started. cool

Photo

Photo

Photo

|

10/31/2013 2:59 PM

We did the Rubicon trail and there was lots of old snow drifts... not quite the same but they make awesome jumps and berms

|

10/31/2013 3:00 PM
Edited Date/Time: 10/31/2013 3:16 PM

Or there's this little gem from our New Years Day ride Jan 1, 2012. No matter what the weather is we ride to break the new year in right.

&context=C335c69eADOEgsToPDskJ0jYOo8tYMm7jO2zI0cD8T

|

11/1/2013 7:24 AM

Ryno, do you do any special bike prep to ride in those types of conditions? I'd love to ride year round here but have always put the bikes away this time of year. What's the choice of tire, do studs hold up on frozen but not completely snow covered ground? Or is a certain non studded tire the better selection? Can a guy push hard enough in these conditions to get a regular moto workout without constantly throwing it away?

I bet riding this stuff would be great practice for muddy/wet days at the track. I'd rather ride motos in the cold than indoor workouts!

|

11/1/2013 7:39 AM

Ryno23 wrote:

Or there's this little gem from our New Years Day ride Jan 1, 2012. No matter what the weather is we ride to break the new ...more

Crashing on frozen ground is brutal..when I was younger we would ride all winter until one weekend my buddy crashed hard on the frozen/jagged dirt and nearly lost his life.

|

11/1/2013 7:40 AM

nytsmaC wrote:

Ryno, do you do any special bike prep to ride in those types of conditions? I'd love to ride year round here but have always ...more

I have a buddy here in Montana that owns a track, and he puts tennis balls in his front and rear tires instead of tubes, and then just uses short screws as a makeshift stud.. He rides all year and says it is not much different

|

11/1/2013 7:48 AM

This is what we have in Finland for a couple of months every year. It's pretty much like riding hard pack, but freakin' cold!

|

11/1/2013 9:33 AM

nytsmaC wrote:

Ryno, do you do any special bike prep to ride in those types of conditions? I'd love to ride year round here but have always ...more

Sometimes we do some different thing to the bikes other times we don't. If there is much ground showing we will just ride as if it is muddy and slick. Dunlop MX51's are the choice for the dirt here and work pretty well even when it is cold. If you want to do some serious snow/ice riding we buy a cheap ass set of tires that are rock hard rubber and put hex head sheet metal screws in them. I have done a set of tires with drilling holes through them and putting the phillips head screws from the inside pointing out but in reality they don't last much longer for the amount of work it is to do. We use the Bridgestone Ultra heavy duty tubes to prevent flats from the screws which works pretty good to say the least. Also we will block off a bit of the radiators, the airbox vents that are prone to snow entry, soften the suspension clickers a bit for the colder thicker oil in the forks/shock, and apply Pam cooking spray on stuff so it's easier to break the ice off when things freeze up. Of course dressing for the occasion is key to making it still fun. As Brad460 said, "frozen ground hurts" which he is correct. Elbow guards and body armor have been very beneficial in some of those crashes. All in all though, it is great practice year round for many kinds of conditions.

|

11/1/2013 10:03 AM

That's a KTM 690 Enduro R, with sleds!

|

11/1/2013 10:30 AM

overthebars39 wrote:

That's a KTM 690 Enduro R, with sleds!

Looks crazy

|

17 KTM 450 SXF - AMAZING!

11/1/2013 10:31 AM

I love MX in the snow
Photo

|

11/1/2013 2:34 PM
Edited Date/Time: 11/1/2013 3:11 PM

I you want to serious motocross riding in the winter, you need Trelleborg or equivalent studded tire. Trelleborgs actually have really good grip on frozen ground. [LINK TO IMAGE]

Track has to cleared from excess snow otherwise riding will be very difficult. Found some random youtube helmet cam videos riding in the snow:

|

11/1/2013 2:56 PM

Yeah, Trelleborg tires IF YOU ARE VERY SERIOUS cuz the price is INSANE!!!!! $300+ just for a rear tire! OUCH!!!

|

11/1/2013 6:35 PM

Finnish_Flash_62 wrote:

This is what we have in Finland for a couple of months every year. It's pretty much like riding hard pack, but freakin' cold! ...more

Awesome vid, but maybe I'm biased because of my love for the roots crew

|

11/1/2013 6:41 PM

Even better, has anyone ever had sex on a mx track in the snow while drinking a Monster?

|

11/1/2013 7:16 PM

Ryno23 wrote:

Yeah, Trelleborg tires IF YOU ARE VERY SERIOUS cuz the price is INSANE!!!!! $300+ just for a rear tire! OUCH!!!

Except you can use the same set for 3-4 seasons or more, compared to 3-4 sets of dirt tires per season. Long term Trellies are cheaper than dirt tires.

|

11/2/2013 12:03 AM

Ryno23 wrote:

Sheriff245 wrote:

Except you can use the same set for 3-4 seasons or more, compared to 3-4 sets of dirt tires per season. Long term Trellies are ...more

I have ten years old Trelleborg front tire and it still hasn't lost any of the studs...

|

11/24/2013 8:15 AM
Edited Date/Time: 11/24/2013 8:16 AM

Winter came here early this year. I did this winter's first ride on the snow today.

Photo

Photo

Photo

Photo

I'm sorry about the poor quality cell phone pictures.

|

11/24/2013 12:45 PM

Ryno23 wrote:

It's the best by far though, I've tried the most out there and the durability and grip that you get from a pair of Trelleborg tires is hard to beat.

|

KX125

11/24/2013 7:31 PM

|

11/25/2013 12:16 AM

This is how they do in Norway

Arctic Ruts Motocross Movie teaser #1 from Bendik Johnsgard on Vimeo.

|

11/25/2013 9:03 AM

this is me riding in the snow. Its fun but to easy. since its frozen it wont get ruts or get ruff and with the studs the traction is huge. really fun though because you can still do jumps and stuff. doing 35 min motos is not a big woop in snow.

|