Has anyone done brown anodizing on rims?

Goofy Foot
Edited Date/Time 2/27/2021 11:49am
Has anyone out there anodized a set of rims like this to match Talon hubs? I've been trying to find someone who can do it but I'm hearing it's difficult to get this color? I asked Dubya if they could do it and they said it's very difficult to get this color and they didn't want to attempt it...I guess the rims have to be stripped down to remove the factory coating and sometimes the rim doesn't take the anodize evenly.

I'm on a mission to get a set done like this in the US. I believe these photos are from the UK:

|
stone881
2/26/2021 9:53am
Maybe they can be cerakoted instead of anodized
Goofy Foot
2/26/2021 9:59am
stone881 wrote:
Possibly, but not sure if Cerakote will give that same deep glossy aluminum look.
2/26/2021 10:30am
stone881 wrote:
Goofy Foot wrote:
Possibly, but not sure if Cerakote will give that same deep glossy aluminum look.
Cerakote would also probably be more prone to chipping. That brown color is pretty cool. I would try and stick with getting them anodized.
Falcon
Fantasy
798th
2/26/2021 11:39am
Holy crap, now I'm on a mission to get brown rims. Woohoo That looks insane.

The Shop

Shaggin589
2/26/2021 11:53am
When I worked for a race team in Indiana we used Indy Metal Finishing in Brownsburg, Indiana. Turns out they are some fellow NorCal people that moved back and opened up shop. They do all kinds of stuff may not hurt to email or call and see if they could help you out. Downside would be shipping but they do really good work. Only anodized I’ve ever used tho so I don’t know what to compare it too
Chance1216
2/26/2021 12:15pm
I’d like to see the rest of that bike!!
Those rims are damn slick.
Goofy Foot
2/26/2021 12:24pm
Chance1216 wrote:
The bike is one of the sickest looking bikes I've ever seen. I believe it's located in the UK. I will try to find the photos if have of it somewhere.
bvm111
2/26/2021 12:44pm
that was the same story I received from Faster USA, I wanted my hubs more that traditional MAG color and he said it’s super hard to get it even and it will fade blotchy. I ended up using their standard Deep Mag color and it has mellowed out really nice but would probably be too dark for a the rim... that being said that pic looks awesome!
Chance1216
2/26/2021 12:47pm
Chance1216 wrote:
Goofy Foot wrote:
The bike is one of the sickest looking bikes I've ever seen. I believe it's located in the UK. I will try to find the photos...
The bike is one of the sickest looking bikes I've ever seen. I believe it's located in the UK. I will try to find the photos if have of it somewhere.
That would be appreciated.
maxer
Fantasy
364th
2/26/2021 7:04pm
never thought that would look as good as it does
mister2dt
2/26/2021 7:56pm
The color isnt difficult to get at all. Getting the color to be consistent across the rim is the difficult part. Bronze 1, or Brown GL, super hard to get consistent coloring on larger parts. No idea why, some colors just act that way. Browns and bronzes like to fade easily as well. Like reds, a nickel acetate sealer isnt enough for long term color. Clear coating is best for those colors.
adam8781
2/26/2021 8:06pm
i have a few sets out for anodizing right now, i keep getting close to pulling the trigger on a bronze/brown set for one of my yzf or yz250s
Goofy Foot
2/26/2021 10:46pm
adam8781 wrote:
i have a few sets out for anodizing right now, i keep getting close to pulling the trigger on a bronze/brown set for one of my...
i have a few sets out for anodizing right now, i keep getting close to pulling the trigger on a bronze/brown set for one of my yzf or yz250s
Okay well pull the trigger and let’s see how it comes out...we need to figure out who can do this for us
cdoggy81
2/27/2021 1:10am Edited Date/Time 2/27/2021 1:12am
mister2dt wrote:
The color isnt difficult to get at all. Getting the color to be consistent across the rim is the difficult part. Bronze 1, or Brown GL...
The color isnt difficult to get at all. Getting the color to be consistent across the rim is the difficult part. Bronze 1, or Brown GL, super hard to get consistent coloring on larger parts. No idea why, some colors just act that way. Browns and bronzes like to fade easily as well. Like reds, a nickel acetate sealer isnt enough for long term color. Clear coating is best for those colors.
^ This (good info misrer2dt). In addition to what he said I will also add it is not as popular of a color (Subsequently you don’t run as many batches) as say black, gold, red, blue so to keep the dye mixed & ready without falling out is tough nor do you get the experience of doing it a million times. One key is to find an anodizer that has a production run with this color that way it stays fresh where they run it all the time (so they can monitor it better) & you get consistent coloring.
I am running into this exact problem with this exact same color basically...
For example here are my 3 main offerings. Can you guess my favorite? Hint - it’s what drew me to this thread 😎

As you can see I’ve had great results so far. So much so I’m about to open a little business specifically dedicated to it. Then last week came. My special anodizer got hit hard in the storm. Shut him down, killed power, backed him up & one of main dye his suppliers. Long story short he tried to rerun this special color & it turned out off a tiny bit & somewhat blotchy. He tried to get new dye & my special ceramic based additive (this is KEY & much more on that later in its own thread) & no dice. Then he gets a call that his main customer anodizing his parts in that color is discontinuing it from his end so now I’m on the hunt as a CYA bc I can see the writing on the wall.
A little early but again I’ll be posting more on this & some other things I’m working on 😎

EZZA 95B
Fantasy
1154th
2/27/2021 3:13am
Chance1216 wrote:
Goofy Foot wrote:
The bike is one of the sickest looking bikes I've ever seen. I believe it's located in the UK. I will try to find the photos...
Chance1216 wrote:
cdoggy81
2/27/2021 6:11am
Goofy Foot - I see you are in So Cal. If you want to get your rims done now give Jerry a call at Aluma Art. or Aluminum Art Anodize (forget the exact name). 909-210-6986
Here is a set of forks he just did :

Chance1216
2/27/2021 7:00am
Goofy Foot wrote:
Chance1216 wrote:
EZZA 95B wrote:
https://www.vitalmx.com/forums/Bike-Builds,46/Cr500-1994,1326434 [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2021/02/27/480566/s1200_s1200_IMG_1567.jpg[/img]
Your the man EZZA!
speed_racer
Fantasy
2007th
2/27/2021 7:06am
That color might be called bronze. Dunham metal processing in Orange, Ca does the brown for Hinson, Pro Circuit, and Fox. The place is small but an insane amount of metal goes through that facility. Also, their work is excellent.
https://www.dunhammetalprocessing.com/
Goofy Foot
2/27/2021 7:24am
cdoggy81 wrote:
Goofy Foot - I see you are in So Cal. If you want to get your rims done now give Jerry a call at Aluma Art...
Goofy Foot - I see you are in So Cal. If you want to get your rims done now give Jerry a call at Aluma Art. or Aluminum Art Anodize (forget the exact name). 909-210-6986
Here is a set of forks he just did :

Perfect, what are you building there? Please show us photos of that bike when it’s done
Goofy Foot
2/27/2021 7:25am
That color might be called bronze. Dunham metal processing in Orange, Ca does the brown for Hinson, Pro Circuit, and Fox. The place is small but...
That color might be called bronze. Dunham metal processing in Orange, Ca does the brown for Hinson, Pro Circuit, and Fox. The place is small but an insane amount of metal goes through that facility. Also, their work is excellent.
https://www.dunhammetalprocessing.com/
Thanks man, very good source you shared with us. I will check them out
Goofy Foot
2/27/2021 7:33am
If anyone else got inspired and does a set of brown/bronze rims like this please post photos of your finished bike in this thread. Feedback on your anodizing process is what we are looking for
GrapeApe
Fantasy
760th
2/27/2021 8:11am
Those rims look amazing, have you tried contacting Talon to see who does their anodizing? It may not be worth it with international shipping, but it looks like someone figured it out. I had brown Chris King hubs on a mountain bike wheel set and they looked killer when new but faded quickly. I think CK has since discontinued the color.
Johnny Depp
2/27/2021 9:28am Edited Date/Time 2/27/2021 9:28am
I know the Fauxshima color has been popular, bronze I think?

While cosmetically they look good, for wear and slick lubricity it is imperative that the inside of the forks be properly treated. I believe to do it right requires an electrode rod be inserted inside the tubes when they are being treated?
mister2dt
2/27/2021 9:36am
I know the Fauxshima color has been popular, bronze I think? While cosmetically they look good, for wear and slick lubricity it is imperative that the...

While cosmetically they look good, for wear and slick lubricity it is imperative that the inside of the forks be properly treated. I believe to do it right requires an electrode rod be inserted inside the tubes when they are being treated?
Usually when doing fork tubes you will plug the ends so the inside walls dont go through the process. The only surfaces that will anodize are those exposed to the current and acid bath. an anodized finish relies on the uncoated surface. If it is polished smooth, the anodize finish will be just as smooth and slightly harder as the anodize process brings the aluminums natural ceramics to the surface. The dye actually settles inside hexagonal pores opened by the ceramic separation. Once the dye is settled, a sealer bath happens, nickel acetate is used, this melts the ceramic over the surface and seals the color under a ceramic layer.
Coughlin639
2/27/2021 9:44am
As dumb as it sounds, I had a friend wash a brand new set of black rims with Purple Power and it turned the anodizing a brown/bronze-ish color like that and looked super cool. Not sure if you've got a spare set kicking around that you could try it. I can try to get a pic
Johnny Depp
2/27/2021 10:01am
I know the Fauxshima color has been popular, bronze I think? While cosmetically they look good, for wear and slick lubricity it is imperative that the...

mister2dt wrote:
Usually when doing fork tubes you will plug the ends so the inside walls dont go through the process. The only surfaces that will anodize are...
Usually when doing fork tubes you will plug the ends so the inside walls dont go through the process. The only surfaces that will anodize are those exposed to the current and acid bath. an anodized finish relies on the uncoated surface. If it is polished smooth, the anodize finish will be just as smooth and slightly harder as the anodize process brings the aluminums natural ceramics to the surface. The dye actually settles inside hexagonal pores opened by the ceramic separation. Once the dye is settled, a sealer bath happens, nickel acetate is used, this melts the ceramic over the surface and seals the color under a ceramic layer.
That's what I mean, it's only cosmetic. Forks have wear issues that can be prevented and delayed with internal anodizing, I'm surprised it's not done every time.
zlowery
2/27/2021 11:01am
Kinda similar, geissele who makes ar15 rails and other parts does a color called “desert dirt color”. Similar to FDE flat dark earth which is popular in guns today.

https://geissele.com/desert-dirt-color-ddc

Nice article there that sheds some light on achieving those colors. Thats a “type 3” hardcoat. From experience, those anodized parts hold up really well. I always thought it would really cool to do some moto parts that color.
cdoggy81
2/27/2021 11:49am
If his stuff is true type lll (which makes sense on gun parts so no reason it would not be) I would bet they are 7075 alloy. This is bc when trying to do “colors” with Type III it is an interesting topic. The “natural color” of Type III depends on the aluminum alloy (6061 is a dark ugly greenish, 7075 is sort of a green up to bronze). When I say natural that mean straight out of the cold tank. Now color also depends on the temperature and the power level; lower temperature and higher power levels make the color darker which in turn also makes the anodize harder. Anodized at the low temps with high current, they turn out almost black. Then you can dye them black for consistency but the dye would not do much if they were not already almost black. Basically, you don’t get to choose much color with Type III anodize because of the hard surface nature not wanting to accept the dye. The better choices for color are like a dark bronze or dark greens, things in that shade. Your best choice though is black.
So if you want nice pretty colors, you get type ll, you want stuff to hold up longer, you get type lll but your colors are significantly limited. Great for guns & military parts, not so much for flashy moto parts 😎
This is why I liked the process we were doing with the ceramic additives to the dyes in type ll. You get a lot of the additional hardness & wear resistance of type lll but in all the cool colors of type ll.

Post a reply to: Has anyone done brown anodizing on rims?

The Latest