Has anyone been to Tomahawk MX recently?

Related:
Create New Tag

9/13/2017 7:43 AM

I have been thinking about going later this month and would like some opinions on the place. I see they charge $50 for a practice day and want to make sure it is worth it. Any suggestions for other tracks in that area are welcome too.

|

We are the sum of a 1,000 lives. What we know is almost nothing at all.

9/13/2017 7:53 AM

I haven't been this year, but plan on going this weekend. Usually it's worth it. Pretty fun track with good elevation change. Most of the jumps are pretty mellow, even the big tabletop that's around 90'. I've shorted it a couple times without too much drama. They have a membership program too that makes it $75 your first ride, but $25 after that and is good for a year. They also have member ride specials that are only $10 a couple times a month.

|

9/13/2017 7:57 AM

My friends went a few weeks ago and said it was descent. Apparently the big table top was impossible to get over due to some rain during the week. The pics they showed me looked like nice rutted corners and hard pack in other places.

|

Tomac and/or Anderson for 2020.....

9/13/2017 8:02 AM
Edited Date/Time: 9/13/2017 8:03 AM

BobPA wrote:

My friends went a few weeks ago and said it was descent. Apparently the big table top was impossible to get over due to some rain during the week. The pics they showed me looked like nice rutted corners and hard pack in other places.

It has a short run up so it can definitely be tough to get over if there is too much water on the track. Last year there was a lot of mulch and wood chips in the dirt so it held moisture well and would get real deep in areas. Some of the back woods section stays a little harder pack and the front half near the parking lot was loamy.

I'm actually in a group text with my buddies now setting up our plans there for Sunday. Gonna be a guys day with no wives and kids.

|

9/13/2017 8:07 AM

I haven't been since last fall. I like it though. They usually do a solid job with preparation and the track is good for those of us who'd rather not have make or break jumps.

|

9/13/2017 8:43 AM

They put in a supercross track that looks pretty crazy. Photo

|

9/13/2017 9:05 AM

BobPA wrote:

My friends went a few weeks ago and said it was descent. Apparently the big table top was impossible to get over due to some rain during the week. The pics they showed me looked like nice rutted corners and hard pack in other places.

JBecker 72 wrote:

It has a short run up so it can definitely be tough to get over if there is too much water on the track. Last year there was a lot of mulch and wood chips in the dirt so it held moisture well and would get real deep in areas. Some of the back woods section stays a little harder pack and the front half near the parking lot was loamy.

I'm actually in a group text with my buddies now setting up our plans there for Sunday. Gonna be a guys day with no wives and kids.

i was there last year and it took a lot of throttle to get over on my 350, but was not too bad. I was kind of surprised to hear no one did it when they were they....bunch of pussies haha

|

Tomac and/or Anderson for 2020.....

9/13/2017 10:38 AM

JBecker 72 wrote:

It has a short run up so it can definitely be tough to get over if there is too much water on the track. Last year there was a lot of mulch and wood chips in the dirt so it held moisture well and would get real deep in areas. Some of the back woods section stays a little harder pack and the front half near the parking lot was loamy.

I'm actually in a group text with my buddies now setting up our plans there for Sunday. Gonna be a guys day with no wives and kids.

Sounds like it is just about how it looks on some videos I've seen. Just want to make sure it is prepped well for fiddy bones. Report back if you go. I plan to be there the following weekend.

|

We are the sum of a 1,000 lives. What we know is almost nothing at all.

9/13/2017 10:39 AM

BobPA wrote:

My friends went a few weeks ago and said it was descent. Apparently the big table top was impossible to get over due to some rain during the week. The pics they showed me looked like nice rutted corners and hard pack in other places.

JBecker 72 wrote:

It has a short run up so it can definitely be tough to get over if there is too much water on the track. Last year there was a lot of mulch and wood chips in the dirt so it held moisture well and would get real deep in areas. Some of the back woods section stays a little harder pack and the front half near the parking lot was loamy.

I'm actually in a group text with my buddies now setting up our plans there for Sunday. Gonna be a guys day with no wives and kids.

Kenny Lingus wrote:

Sounds like it is just about how it looks on some videos I've seen. Just want to make sure it is prepped well for fiddy bones. Report back if you go. I plan to be there the following weekend.

Yeah, will do.

|

9/13/2017 10:42 AM

PRM31 wrote:

I haven't been since last fall. I like it though. They usually do a solid job with preparation and the track is good for those of us who'd rather not have make or break jumps.

That's good to hear. We are all +40 B and don't mind those types of jumps at home but away from home I like to make sure I can drive home.laughing

|

We are the sum of a 1,000 lives. What we know is almost nothing at all.

9/13/2017 10:49 AM

I'm 50 now. Destroyed my collarbone about 7 years ago on some jumps they used to have up by the turn in the top center of the picture above. In recent years it's a little toned down overall. The tabletop they are referring to is just in front of those three trucks in the picture.

|

9/13/2017 3:34 PM

FUNNY you ask cuz my sister is trying to take me their this weekend and I really hope it pans out. They always had a small super cross track but it wasn't the greatest, that one looks a lot cooler.

|

9/13/2017 5:12 PM

Looks like a killer weekend weather wise,,, I might have to make a trip out as well!

|

9/13/2017 6:16 PM
Edited Date/Time: 9/13/2017 6:20 PM

We will be there Sunday. Myself on a YZ250 (272) and my buddies will be riding a YZ250 (0), YZ250F (413), and KX250 (669). Trucks are a white Tacoma and white Tundra. Stop on by and say hi.

|

9/13/2017 6:53 PM

I like the style of track that Tomahawk offers. To me it feels more like an old school moto course. No massive jumps (minus the one large-ish table), ruts, off cambers, elevation, etc. They have a decent 2-3mi scramble loop through the woods as well. Track is usually prepped well and riders are grouped for 20min motos if it gets crowded.

$50 is a little steep but riding options in the MD/VA/DC area are pretty limited so it is what it is.

|

9/14/2017 9:34 AM

I haven't been in a yr or so but it was my home track for a while. Track prep is typically pretty good. I like to compare it to a mini Budds Creek. Has some faster sections, elevation change, and great for spectators too. Curious if the new sx track is open to the public? I doubt it is.

Have fun everyone heading out this weekend! I'm bike-less and jealous!

|

9/14/2017 9:42 AM

Tomahawk is typically prepped well and is a fun track. The owner takes good care of the facility. It usually gets pretty rough with deep ruts so it's great practice!

And to those asking - the supercross track is not open for the public to ride. I believe pro card holders can pay to spin some laps, but average joe's can't (for good reason..).

|

9/14/2017 12:51 PM

mxdude105 wrote:

I like the style of track that Tomahawk offers. To me it feels more like an old school moto course. No massive jumps (minus the one large-ish table), ruts, off cambers, elevation, etc. They have a decent 2-3mi scramble loop through the woods as well. Track is usually prepped well and riders are grouped for 20min motos if it gets crowded.

$50 is a little steep but riding options in the MD/VA/DC area are pretty limited so it is what it is.

You know there is also Budds creek, VMP, South Fork and The landing Mx in maryland and virginia and probably a few more in virginia im forgetting.

|

9/17/2017 5:36 PM
Edited Date/Time: 9/17/2017 5:38 PM

The track was pretty crowded today. I also didn't wind up jumping the big table because of how sketchy the runway was, but there were maybe 5 guys who were doing it. It was pretty well groomed and watered, but it was deep in spots that never dried up. It's a lot faster than I remember it, and quite frankly I didn't put in the best ride. But the track was nice, it's pretty tough, fast, and everyone was pretty nice. Going to be coming here more often since I bought the membership. Hopefully after a few more rides I'll feel more confident there. Oh, and this place is ideal for a 450.

|

9/18/2017 5:41 AM

Sounds just like what I am looking for. Fast, deep and a viable excuse to not hit the biggest jump on the track. I will be there Saturday, look for NY plates, Hondas and German Shepherds. Thanks for the review.

|

We are the sum of a 1,000 lives. What we know is almost nothing at all.

9/18/2017 6:28 AM

JBecker 72 wrote:

The track was pretty crowded today. I also didn't wind up jumping the big table because of how sketchy the runway was, but there were maybe 5 guys who were doing it. It was pretty well groomed and watered, but it was deep in spots that never dried up. It's a lot faster than I remember it, and quite frankly I didn't put in the best ride. But the track was nice, it's pretty tough, fast, and everyone was pretty nice. Going to be coming here more often since I bought the membership. Hopefully after a few more rides I'll feel more confident there. Oh, and this place is ideal for a 450.

Sounds about right.

You ever ride Breezewood? We camp there twice a year and have an absolute blast. Headed there the weekend of October 1st.

|

Tomac and/or Anderson for 2020.....

9/18/2017 7:24 AM

JBecker 72 wrote:

The track was pretty crowded today. I also didn't wind up jumping the big table because of how sketchy the runway was, but there were maybe 5 guys who were doing it. It was pretty well groomed and watered, but it was deep in spots that never dried up. It's a lot faster than I remember it, and quite frankly I didn't put in the best ride. But the track was nice, it's pretty tough, fast, and everyone was pretty nice. Going to be coming here more often since I bought the membership. Hopefully after a few more rides I'll feel more confident there. Oh, and this place is ideal for a 450.

BobPA wrote:

Sounds about right.

You ever ride Breezewood? We camp there twice a year and have an absolute blast. Headed there the weekend of October 1st.

Yeah, I've been there twice this year and am supposed to be going back in October and November if the weather permits. Big fan of that place. Plus all my buddies wives and kids like riding there.

I'm much more confident there than I was yesterday at tomahawk. Haha

|

9/18/2017 8:15 AM

Kenny Lingus wrote:

Sounds just like what I am looking for. Fast, deep and a viable excuse to not hit the biggest jump on the track. I will be there Saturday, look for NY plates, Hondas and German Shepherds. Thanks for the review.

Where at in NY? I rode Frozen Ocean July 5th this year and had a ton of fun. My dad rents a house on the lake every summer in Skaneateles, so this year I brought my KX450. Plan on doing it again next summer.

|

9/18/2017 10:10 AM

JBecker 72 wrote:

Where at in NY? I rode Frozen Ocean July 5th this year and had a ton of fun. My dad rents a house on the lake every summer in Skaneateles, so this year I brought my KX450. Plan on doing it again next summer.

I am near Watkins Glen/ Corning area. Used to race Frozen Ocean all the time. Track went down hill the last few years but looks to be getting back to what it was. Always ran the nightcross and Moto next day. Had lots of good times there. I believe the Denmans(sp?) no longer run it. They were/ are good people. When Broome Tioga and Unadilla had a break between them they used to have a big race and remember having to qualify out of first moto to run second moto.

|

We are the sum of a 1,000 lives. What we know is almost nothing at all.

9/18/2017 11:00 AM

Any of you guys been to tomahawak on a Wed? Curious what the prep is, funny this post came up because I was thinking of driving up for wed practice.

|

9/18/2017 12:41 PM
Edited Date/Time: 9/18/2017 12:43 PM

The place was nice and lots of riders were out that day. Definitely looked better than most of the YouTube videos I had seen.

Edit: regarding Frozen Ocean

|

9/18/2017 12:51 PM

Markee wrote:

Any of you guys been to tomahawak on a Wed? Curious what the prep is, funny this post came up because I was thinking of driving up for wed practice.

Wed is 50/50 prep. Check the website or call Chad before you load up.

|

9/18/2017 4:28 PM
Edited Date/Time: 9/18/2017 4:34 PM

I plan on being out there this Wednesday. Looks like the weather is cooperating wink

Greg

|

9/24/2017 6:44 AM

So I rode there Saturday, I didn't think the track was ripped very deep. More like hard pack with loose wood chips on top. Layout seemed alright. Not much flow. Corners were one lined because of standing water/mud. I'm probably a little spoiled. I would give it a 7 out of 10. For sure use hard terrain tires. Overall a good safe track even though a guy crashed first thing.Photo

|

We are the sum of a 1,000 lives. What we know is almost nothing at all.