Has anyone been knocked out the same way as Stew

Silliker269
Edited Date/Time 1/13/2016 5:14pm
People are saying it didn't look like a hard hit. I think its one of the worst ones
My only concussion came this way. Dirty little highside, shoulder hits first and kind of whiplashes your head into the dirt. Spend 2 days in the hospital and could barely remember shit for about 24 hours.
Anyone with similar stories ?
|
downard254
1/13/2016 11:16am Edited Date/Time 1/13/2016 11:16am
I hit that way on a high side to the Hi Point downhill staircase entry. Hit pretty hard. My throttle housing slid about 4" off the bars gouging aluminum from the bars. I didn't get a concussion though. Then again, I grew up on a farm and worked construction since I was a kid so we're used to getting banged around pretty good.
TeamGreen
1/13/2016 11:21am
Didn't anyone watch Red Bull Straight this year?
IWreckALot
1/13/2016 11:23am
I didn't catch the impact during the broadcast but going back and watching the video, you can see the whiplash one way, then he goes the other way and slams the ground. It was much more brutal than what the broadcast showed from my POV. It would be interesting if there were a way to determine if he went out at the point of contact or the point where his head hit the ground.
731chopper
Fantasy
442nd
1/13/2016 11:25am
The only time I've ever gotten a concussion was at my second race ever. A kid went sideways down the start straight, cleaned me out and just about every rider afterwards ran me over. I got up, got back on my bike and finished the race. I don't think I was ever knocked out but I don't remember any of it. All I remember is getting to the track that day and waking up the next morning. My friend got it on video though and I my dad replaced my helmet then littered with tire marks with a new McGrath replica bell so that was cool.

The Shop

fullfloater
Fantasy
10th
1/13/2016 11:28am Edited Date/Time 1/13/2016 11:31am
I got a really odd one at Honda Hills. Easy, flat corner. Not even sure if it was a low-side or a high-side. Crashed, probably had a little nap, got up and rode back to the pits but I still don't remember riding back. Was probably going backwards! Got back to the pits and told my buddy that my hip hurt. "Did I crash or something?" He explained what he thought happened and then a couple of minutes later, "My hip hurts. Did I crash or something?" After the 10th time or so, he told me to pack up and took me to the hospital. LOL. No major history of concussions. Good helmet. Doesn't take much.

Agree with IWreckALot above. Is it possible that he was a little dazed from the whiplash? Seems like he had time to get his arms/hands out and break the fall even a little bit but he just lawn darted straight to the side of his head.
Titan1
1/13/2016 11:32am
A few years ago, I did what Stewart did (although going much faster)....I high sided, shoulder first whips the head into the ground, and concussed myself pretty good...I don't think I was knocked out (if I was it was only for a few seconds), but I couldn't remember anything about the day or where I was or what I was doing...and I had like a 1 or 2 minute memory, so I kept asking the same questions over and over again...

Only way I know what happened was I had a helmet cam on at the time...There is video of it all on Youtube...

Titan1
1/13/2016 11:34am
I got a really odd one at Honda Hills. Easy, flat corner. Not even sure if it was a low-side or a high-side. Crashed, probably had...
I got a really odd one at Honda Hills. Easy, flat corner. Not even sure if it was a low-side or a high-side. Crashed, probably had a little nap, got up and rode back to the pits but I still don't remember riding back. Was probably going backwards! Got back to the pits and told my buddy that my hip hurt. "Did I crash or something?" He explained what he thought happened and then a couple of minutes later, "My hip hurts. Did I crash or something?" After the 10th time or so, he told me to pack up and took me to the hospital. LOL. No major history of concussions. Good helmet. Doesn't take much.

Agree with IWreckALot above. Is it possible that he was a little dazed from the whiplash? Seems like he had time to get his arms/hands out and break the fall even a little bit but he just lawn darted straight to the side of his head.
Here is the helmet cam of my crash and the next 15 minutes or so...I was out of it...

https://youtu.be/rU9N8LsXXLw
500guy
1/13/2016 11:37am
real question will be what James had for a baseline test and how he passes the tests to see when He's able to return.

just from the TV view He was out light a light and that's not a good sign.
JLong
1/13/2016 11:43am
I can't remember what happened.
mjr119
1/13/2016 11:59am
I had a pretty low speed tip over this past weekend in a sand corner, I fell to my left and my head kind of bounced off of the ground and it gave me whiplash. I was dazed for a few seconds, but not full on daze like I ahve been with a moderate to severe concussion. It doesnt take much with the right hit.
Zaugg
1/13/2016 12:05pm
I don't remember
jasonv43
1/13/2016 12:09pm
I'm curious to know how the helmet performed in the crash. Would it have been worse or better with other brands?
disbanded
Fantasy
1734th
1/13/2016 12:12pm
Would Stewart have been knocked out cold by the berserk blows delivered by Weston Peick??
RPM68
1/13/2016 12:13pm
I seem to have the worst concussions from corners...I have had prolly 5 or 6 (can't remember HAHA) just from cornering.

Not uncommon at all, bikes or body parts generally absorb more impact on crashes from jumps
Skerby
1/13/2016 12:20pm
I landed a large double onto some guys fender/subframe, went shoulder then head into dirt. Rung my bell good! Guy was all pissed off yellin at me, im just like "duuuuuhhhhhhh"
jnickell
Fantasy
1738th
1/13/2016 12:24pm
I have been knocked out the same way. Wasn't going very fast and just slapped my head down when I rounded a corner that was very icy from having been watered between that last lap and the lap I was on. I knew I was KO'd when I gained clarity while on my hands and knees and there were about 8 other riders standing over me. All of their bikes were laying on their sides. They must have either seen it happen or rolled up to a limp body

Had another one that ended my motocross riding days. It was not good at all. Week in ICU and 2 more weeks in a standard room. I wasn't conscious for the first day in ICU. However, I remember nothing except pieces of the last 2 or 3 days in the hospital. Let me tell you, it's VERY weird to lose nearly 3 weeks of your life. Anyway, the docs said I should have died but the good lord let me continue. I only remember 2 things from the day it happened. One of them was because I took a photo. The other was my neighbor saying happy fathers day as I loaded up. Since head injuries are cumulative and that one was near death, I figured I should probably hang it up. I sure miss it.
1/13/2016 12:27pm Edited Date/Time 1/13/2016 12:28pm
i assume he's like pastrana, hes taken so many headers that it doesn't take much to be lights out
FGR01
Fantasy
1222nd
1/13/2016 12:28pm
His head hit harder than it looked. Watch the "crack the whip" effect his head gets as he high sides. It's all about the acceleration of his head and then the manner in which it did a sudden stop. The relative slow speed the bike was going at the time is irrelevant. Essentially, Dungey hitting his bike and lower body at about 10 mph resulted in his head getting whipped 30mph into the ground.

I've had a similar one. Just like the guys above, last thing I remember is showing up to the track and next thing I know I'm at home 5 hrs later watching Gold Rush and being re-told the story of how I was in the ER getting ct-scans, etc.
jnickell
Fantasy
1738th
1/13/2016 12:29pm
disbanded wrote:
Would Stewart have been knocked out cold by the berserk blows delivered by Weston Peick??
Malcom may have something to say about that.
munsch121
1/13/2016 12:33pm
People are saying it didn't look like a hard hit. I think its one of the worst ones My only concussion came this way. Dirty little...
People are saying it didn't look like a hard hit. I think its one of the worst ones
My only concussion came this way. Dirty little highside, shoulder hits first and kind of whiplashes your head into the dirt. Spend 2 days in the hospital and could barely remember shit for about 24 hours.
Anyone with similar stories ?
Unfortunately I have been knocked out about a dozen times. It's funny, I've had some high speed flailing through the air highlight reel wrecks and didn't even go out. Other times I was about to roll and stepped off and woke up thinking WTF ?! someone said before, its the "crack of the whip" .....exactly right, your body hits first and whips your head into the ground at 2 to 3 times the speed you hit the ground at, compound that with a blow to the side of the head...night night.
RedRum666
1/13/2016 12:37pm
JLong wrote:
I can't remember what happened.
Not funny....oh wait, yes it is...hahaha...good one!!

... To say Stew didn't hit his head hard enough for a concussion is silly...

What I see is James head smacking the ground pretty good and appears to dig into the rut, which to me looked even more dangerous they way his head moves backwards ... I had a mild concussion once from swapping out in the whoops on my 80 back in the day and my body took the blunt of the hit.....

had james never had a concussion before, I say he still would have been knocked out....that was a good hit to the melon...
EddieC
1/13/2016 12:40pm
Severity is not determined by whether a person was knocked out or not. Also, how long a person is knocked out 30" vs. 5' does not determine severity of injury.
After your first concussion you have a higher chance of suffering a second one with less effort.
Some else people should understand is that a person who suffered a concussion can and will often times have other injuries to the torso, neck, jaw. Muscle strains, ligament sprain, TMJ etc that can keep someone from returning to ride even though they are cleared from concussion.

My BIGGEST CONCERN is not with the athletes but rather the support staff. Parents, Friends, Coaches, Team Managers, Sponsors those individuals who have a VESTED interest in the athletes participation in sport. These people hold a lot of influence and can be very persuasive either POSITIVELY or NEGATIVELY.
The athlete looks towards these individuals for support and guidance. So when the MEDICAL staff says no riding and the rider hears "I know my kid" "I know my rider" they act like this all the time its normal he/she is fine. That is a PROBLEM.

Boarddesign
Fantasy
2035th
1/13/2016 12:44pm
I got knocked out like that once… was kicked by a cow… I swear to god! Right in the shoulder-plex..
KMC440
1/13/2016 1:18pm
Flat track at Lodi one night, I can hear second place and he's goin under me into one ... all I think is "man you're awful close .... ZzzzzzZzzzzzzZzzzzzz"
was a nice little warm comfy nap in turn one for me. I show no ill effects from it. Blink
usp4u
1/13/2016 1:20pm
Yup. High side whip onto side of head and shoulder. Broken collarbone and concussed. Was out for about a minute. Knew it was time for a cat scan when I lost sight in one eye for about 10mins.
philG
1/13/2016 1:21pm
i have had 2 concussions where i wasnt knocked out,one in 2003 , where i crashed over another rider , hit the ground, and didnt actually know who or where i was , despite getting back on , pitting , and finishing the race . Lapped within a second of my best lap , and dont remember anything about it.. Came round on the slowing down lap , got back to the line which was full of press and stuff, thinking i had just finished warm up lap.

Didnt have Go Pro's back then , but i would describe the week after as if i was sitting in a chair watching my own life on a Go Pro video on You Tube.

2nd one, last summer , got back up , wasnt as bad , but took twice as long to feel right . 2 weeks before i felt good enough to ride.

Both were whiplash type impacts
bama205
1/13/2016 3:58pm
Will this be on the next episode of bubbas world?
plowboy
1/13/2016 4:24pm
I have never crashed at A1 and been knocked unconconcious. But I have been knocked unconconcious by crashing the bike, playing football, baseball, working on oil rigs...etc. I'm old so the normal response was, "quit fucking around and get back out there/get back to work". I'm happy to see these injuries taken more seriously these days. Scary stuff.

Post a reply to: Has anyone been knocked out the same way as Stew

The Latest