Has a bike malfunction ever resulted in making you better?

A loose shift lever resulted in rounded out splines and upshifting became almost impossible.

I still wanted to ride so i worked the bike into third gear and took the lever off.

It was an illuminating experience that taught me i didnt need to shift as often as i normally would. I also ended up carrying way more speed into and out of corners in an effort to minimize the amount of abuse the clutch had to endure. That single day of riding resulted in the greatest increase of riding ability ive ever had.

Ive heard stories of riders losing their rear brake and being forced to learn better front brake technique and Big James taking the seat off to force more standing.

Just wondering if anyone else has a similar story of some type of malfunction leading to overall improvement.
|
mikec265
6/1/2018 1:13pm
Does being too big and fat for stock suspension count? Gotta be precise and smooth
6/1/2018 1:27pm
TL;DR: I raced an entire moto at Glen Helen on my KX125 without a front brake. Made me realize how fast i can enter corners.

I raced the MTA 2 stroke championships this year on my 04 KX125. After practice i decided to change my lever position, and while doing so must have gotten distracted. In Moto 1 I quickly realized i hadn't tightened my front brake master cylinder down all the way. I reached the top of Mount St Helen's on lap 1 and my front brake master cylinder + lever was flopped straight downwards out of reach. I went flying down Mount St Helens with only my rear brake to use and somehow made the corner at the bottom by just laying the bike over. Probably the quickest turn i've ever made on that bike. I spent the rest of the moto without a front brake.

In moto 2 i found myself not using my front brake nearly as much as i usually do and carried my speed down the hills into corners much better, and my lap times were noticeably improved because of it.

Now i seem to carry my speed much better into corners overall.
mattyhamz2
Fantasy
846th
6/1/2018 1:36pm
mikec265 wrote:
Does being too big and fat for stock suspension count? Gotta be precise and smooth
I bet you'd be great on an sx track with the right suspension.

My dad always tells me the story of him racing 125 novice at Ascot. Someone slammed him into a guard rail and it wrapped his shifter around to the foot peg so he couldn't shift. Bike was stuck in 3rd gear and he said it was the fastest he had ever gone there. Last to 2nd if I remember correctly and was right on the leader at the finish.
moscrop940
6/1/2018 1:47pm
One year at Mammoth I pulled the hole shot in the morning qualifier....somewhere between jumping down the downhill and the bottom corner my rear pads sheered off. Jumped off the berm into the flats, pulled back on in 10th

Worked from 10th to 5th by the time it was done, and my lap times were better than they were in practice....not having a rear brake forced me commit to my lines and carry my momentum.

Still wouldn't recommend, had a couple hairy moments going down that hill

The Shop

Tim507
6/1/2018 2:18pm
1971, riding in the single track woods above the Coal Piles. In our group I would always find myself out front. The rear brake rod broke, so I completely removed it. Had to work my ass off but got back out front with no rear brake. Front brake only!!! After that I practiced for MX by removing the rear brake. Much like moscrop940 said........hairy moments......sure pushes the fear level up....
TT Special
6/1/2018 2:32pm
My Dad was a flat tracker and i started racing MX in 1977, I was 12. He said front brake would get me hurt so he unhooked them and I raced a year or so without it. When he hooked them back up I could run up in a turn faster than anyone ! That's where I did 90% of my passing from then on.
6/1/2018 2:47pm
Man, what tracks do you guys ride at? My brother-in-law got flagged off the track after someone fell over on him in a corner and his front brake went spongy. The flagger said it was unsafe, which it may have been, but he was pissed because he was towards the front of the pack.
mikec265
6/1/2018 4:03pm
mikec265 wrote:
mattyhamz2 wrote:
I bet you'd be great on an sx track with the right suspension. My dad always tells me the story of him racing 125 novice at...
I bet you'd be great on an sx track with the right suspension.

My dad always tells me the story of him racing 125 novice at Ascot. Someone slammed him into a guard rail and it wrapped his shifter around to the foot peg so he couldn't shift. Bike was stuck in 3rd gear and he said it was the fastest he had ever gone there. Last to 2nd if I remember correctly and was right on the leader at the finish.
The stock suspension days are gone. 99% of my riding is on tracks that were built on flat ground.
So easy sx style stuff. I will also add that I almost never jumped anything first. Always followed someone better that I trusted when learning new jumps. If I only had money for good suspension back when I had younger balls....
FGR01
Fantasy
1327th
6/1/2018 4:37pm
I had a goon hit me off the gate and break my entire clutch perch off on a KX125. Did the entire moto with no clutch on a super hilly track that was already tough as hell on a 125. Didn't make me a better rider... just pissed me off, lol
NVA57
Fantasy
1560th
6/2/2018 1:21am
Waiting for Romain Febvre to hop in this thread talking about his bent bars.
6/2/2018 5:53am
mikec265 wrote:
Haha! So true! People always comment how smooth and effortless I ride. It's either ride that way or take a dirt nap.
JBecker 72
6/2/2018 6:17am
Breaking my front brake lever clean off on the first session out. Rode the rest of the day without a front brake since I didn’t have a spare and nobody else did. This was 06 and I was the only KTM rider out that day. Definitely learned how fast I could enter a corner and how much speed I could carry. I did end up crashing a few other times that day as well and had some big squirrel moments. But it was enlightening.
TT Special
6/2/2018 6:24am
JBecker 72 wrote:
Breaking my front brake lever clean off on the first session out. Rode the rest of the day without a front brake since I didn’t have...
Breaking my front brake lever clean off on the first session out. Rode the rest of the day without a front brake since I didn’t have a spare and nobody else did. This was 06 and I was the only KTM rider out that day. Definitely learned how fast I could enter a corner and how much speed I could carry. I did end up crashing a few other times that day as well and had some big squirrel moments. But it was enlightening.
It works !

Post a reply to: Has a bike malfunction ever resulted in making you better?

The Latest