Has Any Track in America, In Recent Times, Tried “The Grand Experiment”?

Rupert X
Edited Date/Time 12/6/2019 12:07pm
There’s been much discussion over the last few decades, how it would be cool if A track, any track, attempted a simple throwback race, with just 125-250-Open classes (any strokes) . No sanctions. Two moto’s, 20 minutes each, practice at 1100, done by 1500. Pre-entries limited to 40 per class. Would it work ? Would YOU attend? Would the promoter lose his a$$ ? Curious as to your thoughts and, wondering if this sort of “Grand Motocross Experiment” has been attempted, anywhere ?
|
SLOWTIME
12/5/2019 6:36am
I’d show up. Drove 6 hours solo to sleepy hollow for a similar event.
Uncle Tony
12/5/2019 6:38am Edited Date/Time 12/5/2019 6:39am
If they had one at wick, I’m there
bierbower105
12/5/2019 7:33am
Baja Acres does "Drops"

- Rack up the gate - drop it - then "open practice".

No scoring or anything like that though.

I'd race more locally if some tracks did this.
Johnny Depp
12/5/2019 7:48am Edited Date/Time 12/5/2019 8:18am
I did something similar and lost my ass. Father's Day was a bad choice in retrospect. Moto TnT was a mile MX track and a mile of wide open groomed trails with alternate extreme shortcuts held at Murphy's MX. 36 riders. Expert, Intermediate, Novice and Beginner, Vet over 30 Exp/Int and Nov/Beginner, mini, no CC classes just skill. Aprox. 30 minutes for Expert and 20 for slower classes.

https://www.vitalmx.com/forums/Moto-Related,20/Moto-TnT-in-Austin-TX-on…

I am going to do it again soon, MX only this time, probably at Spoaks MX. It will save me a few weeks of trail work and obstacle building. It's a work in progress and risky business, but I feel like it will catch on. Can't stand any more money pits so switching to pre-registration with 100 riders minimum 2 weeks prior or no race.

The tracks in South Texas all are interested in such a race or series, but it's quite a commitment for a promoter with an unproven concept. The question is are the rider's interested enough to sign up?

The Shop

early
Fantasy
2231st
12/5/2019 7:57am
120 total entries @ $30/entry and 2X entries thru the gate (240@$10) that works out to a $6k day. I don't know how that works out rental, insurance, and labor wise to make money. It does sound fun though.
FWYT
12/5/2019 8:28am
I would think you'd need some sort of skill levels in there somewhere. But yeah, the club I like to race with, SRA, does GP style races at Glen Helen. Multiple rows, simple classes. We do one sighting lap then your 45 minute race. I'm out of there by 10:30. 11:30 if I race two classes. It rules!

NO SANCTIONS is, I think, a key.
mxtech1
12/5/2019 8:49am
I like the idea of 125, 250, Open.

You could still have say A & B skill designations for district points and such. Run 'em all together and then sort the points out during scoring, just like how they do it in offroad.

Same thing with kids classes. 50, 65, 85.

That's it. 6 classes. Get in, get out.

My main concern is that Egos are too fragile these days though. If Johnny Hopper can't wax 250D to show off for his bros and girlfriend, he isn't going to show up.
FWYT
12/5/2019 11:05am
Semi-related side track -

With tech advances these days in transponders, scoring, etc, how difficult and expensive would it be to do
a form of bracket racing? So it would be straight up AA, A, B, C and D classes?
Based on a lap time (somehow) regardless of age, gender, displacement, etc.?
loftyair
12/5/2019 11:12am
I think having a true 'open' class, any stroke or cc, maybe broke into skill if enough entries. Just a fun thing, added to other more structured day.
12/5/2019 11:13am
Sounds like a hoot, for A/B level riders... not so much for the rest of us mere mortals..
Cody24
Fantasy
2702nd
12/5/2019 11:19am
The 125 Dream Race at Washougal is basically that... gets bigger every year.
Johnny Depp
12/5/2019 11:23am Edited Date/Time 12/5/2019 12:35pm
FWYT wrote:
Semi-related side track - With tech advances these days in transponders, scoring, etc, how difficult and expensive would it be to do a form of bracket...
Semi-related side track -

With tech advances these days in transponders, scoring, etc, how difficult and expensive would it be to do
a form of bracket racing? So it would be straight up AA, A, B, C and D classes?
Based on a lap time (somehow) regardless of age, gender, displacement, etc.?
This is the future of local racing IMO. There aren't enough people for dozens of classes anymore in most cases. Maybe 100 entries with 65 actual riders, some entering 2 classes is a problem. Transponders unfortunately add to the cost, the same thing can be accomplished with bumps. The problem is everyone wants to enter beginner, and only a handful in Expert. Take total entries and divide into even numbered classes after that by skill.

There are 2 protected species that must not be told what to do. Vets and Mini's. That is the problem. They aren't willing to be put in with others.
harescrambled
Fantasy
1992nd
12/5/2019 11:31am
Rupert X wrote:
There’s been much discussion over the last few decades, how it would be cool if A track, any track, attempted a simple throwback race, with just...
There’s been much discussion over the last few decades, how it would be cool if A track, any track, attempted a simple throwback race, with just 125-250-Open classes (any strokes) . No sanctions. Two moto’s, 20 minutes each, practice at 1100, done by 1500. Pre-entries limited to 40 per class. Would it work ? Would YOU attend? Would the promoter lose his a$$ ? Curious as to your thoughts and, wondering if this sort of “Grand Motocross Experiment” has been attempted, anywhere ?
I'd hit something like that. 125, 250, open (run whatcha brung, no minis or pitbikes). A and B classes only
ktmdan
12/5/2019 11:42am
I did something similar and lost my ass. Father's Day was a bad choice in retrospect. Moto TnT was a mile MX track and a mile...
I did something similar and lost my ass. Father's Day was a bad choice in retrospect. Moto TnT was a mile MX track and a mile of wide open groomed trails with alternate extreme shortcuts held at Murphy's MX. 36 riders. Expert, Intermediate, Novice and Beginner, Vet over 30 Exp/Int and Nov/Beginner, mini, no CC classes just skill. Aprox. 30 minutes for Expert and 20 for slower classes.

I am going to do it again soon, MX only this time, probably at Spoaks MX. It will save me a few weeks of trail work and obstacle building. It's a work in progress and risky business, but I feel like it will catch on. Can't stand any more money pits so switching to pre-registration with 100 riders minimum 2 weeks prior or no race.

The tracks in South Texas all are interested in such a race or series, but it's quite a commitment for a promoter with an unproven concept. The question is are the rider's interested enough to sign up?
I really wanted to race this race but couldn’t due to Father’s Day.
EMARacing
12/5/2019 11:46am
I did something similar and lost my ass. Father's Day was a bad choice in retrospect. Moto TnT was a mile MX track and a mile...

At least add some grass track area to the track, so its still GP like.
12/5/2019 11:47am
Just a twist. Could you do something like this get all the faster riders in and out then groom the track and run two motos for 125, 250, then open bikes for slower riders in the afternoon? Shorter motos for the slower / afternoon groups. Maybe this way promoter gets more money and the day doesn’t end up being an all day affair for each rider or does track prep take too long?
lamy962
12/5/2019 3:25pm
Washougal has been doing it for like 6 or 7 years
It definitely doesn't get done early though.. don't think motos were done til after 6 this year. It's such a fun event though! Joey and the crew have really made it something special over the years and it just keeps getting better every year.
Johnny Depp
12/5/2019 5:40pm
lamy962 wrote:
It definitely doesn't get done early though.. don't think motos were done til after 6 this year. It's such a fun event though! Joey and the...
It definitely doesn't get done early though.. don't think motos were done til after 6 this year. It's such a fun event though! Joey and the crew have really made it something special over the years and it just keeps getting better every year.
Tell us more about the format?
jeffro503
12/6/2019 8:26am
lamy962 wrote:
It definitely doesn't get done early though.. don't think motos were done til after 6 this year. It's such a fun event though! Joey and the...
It is an incredible event! The only two races that rival it are the national and the Seattle SX. This year's event was the biggest one yet as far as I know.
Adam43
12/6/2019 9:33am
It's been done in our region for a few one off events.

They are some of the best and most fun races I've ever been a part of.
side-pipe
Fantasy
3308th
12/6/2019 11:00am
Rupert X wrote:
There’s been much discussion over the last few decades, how it would be cool if A track, any track, attempted a simple throwback race, with just...
Nice El Camino.
cwtoyota
12/6/2019 12:06pm Edited Date/Time 12/6/2019 12:07pm
lamy962 wrote:
Tell us more about the format?
It's a whole weekend.

They have an open practice day on Saturday, anyone can ride but there's a two stroke only class.

Saturday night it's basically a big party and not a four stroke in sight.
Show and shine on the infield between the tower, whoops and triple jump.
After the show and shine, they do the holeshot event.
Three gates heads up drag racing 125cc only on a 100 foot course.

Sunday starts with practice and all two stroke classes all day.
I think the biggest class was the 40+ this year with two nearly full gates for the heat races (about 70 racers?)
125 Masters is the premiere class, A&B skill level, usually in the 60 to 70 entries range.
There are novice classes, 500 class, 250 class...

It's the best race on the calendar up here in the northwest.
A couple of brothers I know make some off-road videos, they filmed the whole weekend:
(1:50 is Ryan Huffman and Jason McCormick having a little 125 grudge match)

Post a reply to: Has Any Track in America, In Recent Times, Tried “The Grand Experiment”?

The Latest