Harley Davidson re-entering dirt market

Adam43
8/1/2018 1:53pm
Very interesting! I wondered if a pic would ever surface of the 450 test mule.

What was the central reason for the death of the project? Bad economics? Tests not promising?
tkimb
8/1/2018 5:15pm
Thing probably weighs as much as a car
stillwelding
8/1/2018 5:47pm
Bigfoot wrote:
You've all got it wrong. They're going to go all 2-stroke! [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2018/08/01/278099/s1200_HarleyMXModern.jpg[/img]
You've all got it wrong. They're going to go all 2-stroke!

That is badass
Phildo
8/4/2018 11:54am

It's about bloody time! After all those years of making excessively overweight bikes for road use they've finally gotten around to making the same bloated stuff for off-road use.

At last, someone at HD has taken a good look at a BMW bike and said, "I reckon we could make something heavier than that."

The front indicators built into the hand guards look lovely and cheap to replace, don't they?

Just imagine the thrilling sensation of the bike in front turning the throttle and possibly throwing up a stone or two...

In other news, HD announced today that if you drop their new adventure bike on its RH side it's going involve the selling of numerous body organs to wealthy Chinese to pay for the resulting damage to that lovely exhaust.

Clearly, engineering some sort of twin exhaust system out of harm's way was just too much of a challenge.

I wonder if HD will ever make a modern motocross bike, and if so, will it weigh less than 170kg.

The Shop

TeamGreen
8/4/2018 5:47pm
The styling reminds me of a 60's era vacuum cleaner.(they sucked also)
HD design department has completely lost their way.
I’m getting one and installing an FMF TI-Carbon full-system. That should make it .0004% lighter!
(Using an estimated 30 pound savings).

It’s a good thing that it comes on “Battleship Grey”!
TeamGreen
8/4/2018 5:50pm
Bigfoot wrote:
You've all got it wrong. They're going to go all 2-stroke! [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2018/08/01/278099/s1200_HarleyMXModern.jpg[/img]

I’d ride that just because it looks amazing.

That’s the best photo-chop EVER.
motogrady
8/4/2018 6:48pm
Phildo wrote:
[IMG]http://i260.photobucket.com/albums/ii2/PhilMeUpBaby/PSB/HD_Pan_America.jpg[/IMG] It's about bloody time! After all those years of making excessively overweight bikes for road use they've finally gotten around to making the same bloated...

It's about bloody time! After all those years of making excessively overweight bikes for road use they've finally gotten around to making the same bloated stuff for off-road use.

At last, someone at HD has taken a good look at a BMW bike and said, "I reckon we could make something heavier than that."

The front indicators built into the hand guards look lovely and cheap to replace, don't they?

Just imagine the thrilling sensation of the bike in front turning the throttle and possibly throwing up a stone or two...

In other news, HD announced today that if you drop their new adventure bike on its RH side it's going involve the selling of numerous body organs to wealthy Chinese to pay for the resulting damage to that lovely exhaust.

Clearly, engineering some sort of twin exhaust system out of harm's way was just too much of a challenge.

I wonder if HD will ever make a modern motocross bike, and if so, will it weigh less than 170kg.

I wonder if Australia will ever make......ah............anything.
CG118
8/4/2018 7:43pm
Phildo. Make no mistake regarding HD. Their primary concern is image. NOT performance. And this image is fugly——my subjective opinion.
make1go
8/4/2018 8:15pm Edited Date/Time 8/4/2018 8:18pm
make1go wrote:
"adventure" bikes have about as much to do with dirt as suv's have with real 4 wd... its an image bike for guys who think a...
"adventure" bikes have about as much to do with dirt as suv's have with real 4 wd...

its an image bike for guys who think a bumpy gravel road is offroading..
I’m sure you’re not an idiot, but that was an idiot way to say whatever point you’re making.
how many adventure bike owners do you know?

i know of around 5 and read forums with ride reports...

they couldnt keep up with (off road) or even go where i take my "go anywhere bike" a klx 150..

so tell me when was the last time you took an adventure ride?

me? last week, found a whole new area to ride.

(cant up a pic, due to the 1997 forum software, it the equivilant of the cr250..)
Bigfoot
8/5/2018 6:19am
Bigfoot wrote:

TeamGreen wrote:
I’d ride that just because it looks amazing.

That’s the best photo-chop EVER.
Thank you! Some people kill time doodling, I fart around in PhotoShop. I did this one while sitting on hold with my insurance company. Smile
EZZA 95B
Fantasy
1151st
8/5/2018 6:33am
Bigfoot wrote:
Thank you! Some people kill time doodling, I fart around in PhotoShop. I did this one while sitting on hold with my insurance company. Smile
I really dig your chops.Cool
dcg141
8/5/2018 6:46am
make1go wrote:
"adventure" bikes have about as much to do with dirt as suv's have with real 4 wd... its an image bike for guys who think a...
"adventure" bikes have about as much to do with dirt as suv's have with real 4 wd...

dcg141
8/5/2018 6:53am
make1go wrote:

On a side note, eight-time national enduro champion Mike Lafferty came out of professional retirement to race the Rattlesnake Enduro on KTM’s 1090R Adventure bike. It was pretty cool seeing the eight-time national champion wrestling the 500-something lb. bike through the slimy rocks and through the deep ruts to a 19th place finish in the Pro division.

Post a reply to: Harley Davidson re-entering dirt market

The Latest