Harley-Davidson Snow Hill Climb debuts at X Games Aspen.. wait, what?

1/21/2018 12:36am Edited Date/Time 1/21/2018 12:39am
JM485 wrote:
Getting power to the ground, keeping the rear wheel hooked up, and keeping a high horsepower bike under control on ice under intense pressure on the...
Getting power to the ground, keeping the rear wheel hooked up, and keeping a high horsepower bike under control on ice under intense pressure on the biggest stage, believe it or not, will take some skill. Not at all the type of hill we normally race, but these guys are still racing against the clock so no matter what the hill it’s still a test of skill and will be a tight contest. I really just hope this doesn’t turn into a joke, these guys and this sport deserve a much better platform to show what they can do, but it’s what we have so take it for what it is. Do some YouTube searching on the Elevated Action Sports page if you want to see what it’s really all about.
-MAVERICK- wrote:
I've seen Hillclimb vids from the summer events, some with massive steep climbs and some with jumps and yes it takes skills for those events no...
I've seen Hillclimb vids from the summer events, some with massive steep climbs and some with jumps and yes it takes skills for those events no doubt about that. I think the H-D event at X-Games is just a drag race up the superpipe. I don't think it would take that much skills for that.

Didn't even know they raced in winter. Is that new? What's your setup? Nitro powered bikes are a little bit crazy.
JM485 wrote:
I’ve never heard of them running anything like this in the winter, it’s a totally new deal. The whole set up was really strange, they basically...
I’ve never heard of them running anything like this in the winter, it’s a totally new deal. The whole set up was really strange, they basically kept it a secret until a couple days ago, and I have absolutely no idea how or when it all came about. I know it was kind of a crazy deal getting bikes lined up because of the restrictions for some guys. I’m assuming these guys are going to run spiked tires or something but my knowledge of ice bike setup is about as little as it gets.

I just hope it gets the discipline out there to a larger audience, I don’t really think this is the way to do it but it’s kind of a cool concept.
Harley Snow Hillclimbs are semi-popular in Europe and back East.

But like JM485 said, it's all of our hope that the sport and these athletes get good recognition on action sport's biggest stage. How it came about was very unorthodox, and not from the AMA or any of the top series, it seems mainly promotional and kind of last minute. They didn't run qualifiers for the event, and picked about 5 top guys (not sure how, as there are at least 10 more that are at that level..) to compete for the medaled event. I believe it will be televised. The catch is all the riders have to be riding pump fuel V-Twins, no matter the manufacturer. So we have several Harleys, a couple KTMs, a Suzuki and a Buell that will be competing. Most of the riders race with Japanese four cylinders, so some guys had to scramble and borrow a V-Twin bike last minute.

I just got my plane ticket today and will be watching/filming this happen at X Games, I couldn't miss it for all the work I've put into the sport the past year. We all don't know what to expect.. drag racing up an icy bunny slope is the exact opposite of what the sport has evolved into today, but exposure is exposure, right? I was there last year and the Superpipe was 0 degrees and like concrete.. the conditions could be anything this winter and tire selection will be very different from what these riders are used to. The sport has been fighting to be in X Games for over 15 years by cleaning up it's image and trying to be more mainstream. This event could either damage what everybody in the sport has built up, or give it that shot in the arm we've all been working for... Regardless, we're all excited for the athletes going and that these bikes will be on the main stage. Overall, I think it's awesome and way different!
jarvinator
1/21/2018 6:33am
Wish these guys well and having a successful run at good, exciting competition and the event capturing audience. I would be game to check this out, let us know when it's on
PFitzG38
1/21/2018 9:16am
JM485 wrote:
The guys that are running this are damn good riders, trust me it’s not going to be lame. These guys are some of the best our...
The guys that are running this are damn good riders, trust me it’s not going to be lame. These guys are some of the best our sport has to offer, just watch and enjoy.
-MAVERICK- wrote:
Going up a straight hill with no obstacles takes skills?
JM485 wrote:
Getting power to the ground, keeping the rear wheel hooked up, and keeping a high horsepower bike under control on ice under intense pressure on the...
Getting power to the ground, keeping the rear wheel hooked up, and keeping a high horsepower bike under control on ice under intense pressure on the biggest stage, believe it or not, will take some skill. Not at all the type of hill we normally race, but these guys are still racing against the clock so no matter what the hill it’s still a test of skill and will be a tight contest. I really just hope this doesn’t turn into a joke, these guys and this sport deserve a much better platform to show what they can do, but it’s what we have so take it for what it is. Do some YouTube searching on the Elevated Action Sports page if you want to see what it’s really all about.
Whatever. Give me a bike and I guarantee I could finish midpack coming off the couch with 2 practice runs
BobPA
1/21/2018 9:28am Edited Date/Time 1/21/2018 10:13am
JM485 wrote:
You should be a professional hype man. That is an impressive amount of optimism for riding a Harley in the snow.

Harley and race are two words that can only be comically placed in the same sentence. The only thing Harley boys race to is the bar...or leather shop

The Shop

40acres
1/21/2018 9:52am
Forty wrote:
Harley Davidson is bleeding as their buyer pool goes away....they have to make some moves to get another group interested....the group they're after doesn't tolerate poor...
Harley Davidson is bleeding as their buyer pool goes away....they have to make some moves to get another group interested....the group they're after doesn't tolerate poor performance or old tech.....time to step it up Harley.

Anyone ridden the Yamaha FZ-09? I like the direction Yamaha is taking their road bikes, the line has vastly improved.
RABnasty wrote:
I work for Harley-Davidson. We are doing just fine. Have you ridden the new bikes?
Sure bud... Sales down 9% Q2 last year, down 8% in Q3 and down 2% in Q4. The north american motorcycle industry as a whole was down 5% in Q3. So no, youre not doing fine and either is the entire industry. Chill, you sound like you're fresh off of a FY2018 corporate kick-off meeting.
JM485
1/21/2018 11:08am
JM485 wrote:
BobPA wrote:
You should be a professional hype man. That is an impressive amount of optimism for riding a Harley in the snow. Harley and race are two...
You should be a professional hype man. That is an impressive amount of optimism for riding a Harley in the snow.

Harley and race are two words that can only be comically placed in the same sentence. The only thing Harley boys race to is the bar...or leather shop
Look, I’m not gonna bullshit you because you’re smarter than that. This is probably one of the worse plateforms these guys could have been given to showcase what they can do, but you know it’s what we got and I’m sure they will make the best of it. I’d give just about anything to have this expand into summer X Games and take place on a real hill with real bikes, but for now this is the first step. I’m just asking people to give it a chance and watch with an open mind, look past the bias against Harley and try to watch with an open mind. In all honestly I’m kind of pissed about how the whole thing went down, but every one of those guys deserves to be there and have a chance to do what they do, so if I can look past my own biases I’m hoping others can to and just give it a chance.
JM485
1/21/2018 11:11am
PFitzG38 wrote:
Whatever. Give me a bike and I guarantee I could finish midpack coming off the couch with 2 practice runs
Hey, if you really believe that then put your money where your mouth is, we have plenty of races coming up. Enter the pro class and show us all what you got, we’d love to have another guy to race against and if you’re at the level you claim you’ll walk away with some cash.
-MAVERICK-
Fantasy
3739th
1/21/2018 11:18am
Personally I don't see this being appealing to the younger fans and I don't think it'll bring in more fans to the event.

Nonetheless they're trying something so I have to give them props for that.
CarlinoJoeVideo
Fantasy
2361st
1/21/2018 11:28am
I believe the race will happen right after the superpipe is done. Everyone will be at the pipe, so they are probably trying to keep the audience that’s there.

They been working on this for a few months and did testing out in Aspen early January. Im assuming since Harley is such a big Summer X Games sponsor they are trying to involve them somehow in Winter.

Either way, should be exciting!
GuyB
Fantasy
1215th
1/21/2018 12:01pm
I stopped reading at ®
smv ryder
Fantasy
1313th
1/21/2018 12:11pm
I believe the race will happen right after the superpipe is done. Everyone will be at the pipe, so they are probably trying to keep the...
I believe the race will happen right after the superpipe is done. Everyone will be at the pipe, so they are probably trying to keep the audience that’s there.

They been working on this for a few months and did testing out in Aspen early January. Im assuming since Harley is such a big Summer X Games sponsor they are trying to involve them somehow in Winter.

Either way, should be exciting!
IMO you nailed it. They will do it after the super pipe final due to everyone already being on the pipe. Which sucks for me because I am getting old and standing on the pipe is for the youngings.. lol
Saying that I am still going to go, I want to see the UnKnown Industries bikes, they are the dudes sponsored by Monster who freestyle there Harley’s.
I was really hoping they would line up some snow bikes against them so it would be more than 8 total bikes.
Aspen is already really popping and full house, adding the Xgames crowd makes town a total ? show..
BobPA
1/21/2018 12:15pm
JM485 wrote:
Look, I’m not gonna bullshit you because you’re smarter than that. This is probably one of the worse plateforms these guys could have been given to...
Look, I’m not gonna bullshit you because you’re smarter than that. This is probably one of the worse plateforms these guys could have been given to showcase what they can do, but you know it’s what we got and I’m sure they will make the best of it. I’d give just about anything to have this expand into summer X Games and take place on a real hill with real bikes, but for now this is the first step. I’m just asking people to give it a chance and watch with an open mind, look past the bias against Harley and try to watch with an open mind. In all honestly I’m kind of pissed about how the whole thing went down, but every one of those guys deserves to be there and have a chance to do what they do, so if I can look past my own biases I’m hoping others can to and just give it a chance.
Very well said. I would love to see hilclimb become more popular. We have a few around here, including the Freemansburg, PA event. It is an absolute blast to attend...and always gathers a good crowd.

If you ever come east you should ride on the old coal hills...horrible for tires but are a blast to try. When it is dry, they are near impossible, but fun to give the old college try haha.

Asimo
1/21/2018 1:15pm
When Does This slightly uphill drag race air?

If I order a pizza will it let me take a nap?
-MAVERICK-
Fantasy
3739th
1/21/2018 1:31pm Edited Date/Time 1/21/2018 1:35pm
Asimo wrote:
When Does This slightly uphill drag race air?

If I order a pizza will it let me take a nap?
The event takes place next Sunday and for those that are there in person it's at 8:15pm MT time.

On TV the gold and bronze medal rounds will air live at 9:45pm CST/ 10:45pm EST time Sunday January 28th on ESPN.

The preliminary rounds and qualifying will stream at 9:15pm CST/ 10:15pm EST time Sunday January 28th on facebook.com/harley-davidson

The event is more a drag race than a hillclimb. They start at the bottom of the superpipe and the first one that crosses the finish line at the top of the superpipe wins the race.
-MAVERICK-
Fantasy
3739th
1/21/2018 1:57pm
For those who might be wondering who's racing the Hillclimb event here's the rider list.

Logan Mead, Logan Cipala, Austin Cardwell, Jake Anstett, Dan Lauters, Josh Mueller, Louie Lauters and Travis Whitlock.

I don't follow anything hillclimb but a few names ring a bell (Anstett & Whitlock)
PFitzG38
1/21/2018 3:24pm
PFitzG38 wrote:
JM485 wrote:
Hey, if you really believe that then put your money where your mouth is, we have plenty of races coming up. Enter the pro class and...
Hey, if you really believe that then put your money where your mouth is, we have plenty of races coming up. Enter the pro class and show us all what you got, we’d love to have another guy to race against and if you’re at the level you claim you’ll walk away with some cash.
I'm IN! looks like a blast and a heck of a hobby. Anytime your in my neck of the woods I'll show up - all I ask is I get 2 practice runs and a competitive sled. A few questions - How could I walk away with cash if I finish midpack, does it pay that far down in the results and how much does it cost to get to that point - a mod single purpose harley sounds impractical and pricey, unless you can ride often - how often and where can you practice this pursuit??

BTW - not saying I'm at any high level, I just agreed with the other poster and feel IMHO that any motocrosser at an Int - Exp level should be able to go as fast as possible up the middle of a half pipe.
1/28/2018 9:48am
This is airing tonight, looks like the last event of the day. Airing on ESPN. Looking forward to checking it out
agn5009
1/28/2018 11:09am
This is airing tonight, looks like the last event of the day. Airing on ESPN. Looking forward to checking it out
Time?
1/28/2018 11:51am
bh84 wrote:
If you want to use ancient technology to build a hillclimber why wouldn't you use this engine. [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2018/01/20/239095/s1200_Kawasaki_H2_750_Mach_IV_741.jpg[/img]
If you want to use ancient technology to build a hillclimber why wouldn't you use this engine.

That engine would definitely be my first choice.
smv ryder
Fantasy
1313th
1/28/2018 12:21pm Edited Date/Time 1/28/2018 12:23pm
I will be there tonight to partake on the radness. IMO it won’t blow me away going up the hill because I have silly friends that stud up there Harley’s every year but the sound going up a 22ft Olympic half pipe will be unreal. Watching on tv will not give the effect of these bikes going up. It will be like going to a drag strip, the race fuel/nitro methane will be in the air. I was super stoked on the snowbike cross with the awesome aroma of race fuel as well.
Not sure I will actually be on the superpipe because the snowbike big air is basically going on at the same time. I am hoping for a good spot to see both events going on.
smv ryder
Fantasy
1313th
1/28/2018 3:58pm
These bikes arent for the hill climb but still are insane! [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2018/01/28/240833/s1200_2D964770_5F24_472D_BD92_BBD54183BAC7.jpg[/img] [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2018/01/28/240834/s1200_4B6A3DFC_01DE_4A1A_9475_FA9AA867F38A.jpg[/img] [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2018/01/28/240835/s1200_402AECD0_391A_43AE_A5C6_8383259E61F0.jpg[/img] [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2018/01/28/240837/s1200_0B0C7BD1_34FA_4FC9_9CFD_54B42FAC273A.jpg[/img]
These bikes arent for the hill climb but still are insane!

Nice photos.. you have showed me something I didn’t notice in person, the Timbersled front shock called the Trio..
Are you here in Aspen Joe? Be there tonight?
BobbyM
1/28/2018 4:55pm
-MAVERICK- wrote:
Going up a straight hill with no obstacles takes skills?
JM485 wrote:
PFitzG38 wrote:
You can't even ride a fucking bike fast.
kzizok
Fantasy
2068th
1/28/2018 5:45pm
A place where the beer flows like wine.... A little place called Aspen.
JM485
1/28/2018 6:03pm
PFitzG38 wrote:
I'm IN! looks like a blast and a heck of a hobby. Anytime your in my neck of the woods I'll show up - all I...
I'm IN! looks like a blast and a heck of a hobby. Anytime your in my neck of the woods I'll show up - all I ask is I get 2 practice runs and a competitive sled. A few questions - How could I walk away with cash if I finish midpack, does it pay that far down in the results and how much does it cost to get to that point - a mod single purpose harley sounds impractical and pricey, unless you can ride often - how often and where can you practice this pursuit??

BTW - not saying I'm at any high level, I just agreed with the other poster and feel IMHO that any motocrosser at an Int - Exp level should be able to go as fast as possible up the middle of a half pipe.
I meant an actual hillclimb, this is such a one-off deal I don't know if I'll ever even get to run one. If you finished mid pack you aren't going to win anything, but my point was these are the same guys winning races on the national level so facing them here wouldn't be an easy deal either. I have absolutely no idea how much money is into any of these bikes, but for a regular hillclimb all you need is a 450 and a set of extensions at minimum. It's hard to compete on stock stuff, but I do it and have won a couple classes before. The 451-700 class is where the big money comes in, and to be honest for a regular guy it's just too damn hard to compete against $10k motors now a days. You used to be able to pull off a good finish on a 500, but those days are over.

As for tonight's event, I think traction is going to be the main decider. Whoever gets tire/spike/paddles selection figured out is probably going to take it, but you just never know. Your average moto guys could probably run pretty well, but when you have all the pressure on you and you know you have to be absolutely perfect in your run, it's kind of a different deal. It's not like a moto race where if you blow a corner or something it's not all that big of a deal, if you screw up and some a tenth or two in a hillclimb run its pretty much over, that's where the difficulty lies.
1/28/2018 6:59pm
TV coverage should begin in approx 30 mins, as long as that injury in mens halfpipe doesn't set things back too much...
kzizok
Fantasy
2068th
1/28/2018 7:53pm Edited Date/Time 1/28/2018 7:54pm
RV mentioned keyboard warriors and how they can be hurtful in a clip (from the X Games) related to social media in sports.

Post a reply to: Harley-Davidson Snow Hill Climb debuts at X Games Aspen.. wait, what?

The Latest