Harescramble racing?

Alec138
Edited Date/Time 1/20/2019 10:25pm
Wanting to get into harescramble racing this year. Not looking to go kill it or win a championship hell even win one race. I want to do it to better my abilities and make friends along the way and maybe gain more places to ride offseason. Anyways, what do I need to do to “prepare” as in deciding what class to run in and setting myself up say a week ahead or even a few days before the race?
|
1/20/2019 5:11pm Edited Date/Time 1/20/2019 5:13pm
Hydrate, and pace yourself, harescrambles are great, have fun, oh ya get hand gaurds and possibly a camelback
navalseabee
1/20/2019 5:46pm
Keys for a successful race: hydrate, pace yourself have fun.

Mando bike stuff: hand guards, I prefer flag style

As far as class enter in whatever class you race moto in. If you dont race moto just truthfully evaluate your skill level pick a class and see what happens.
Brap!
1/20/2019 5:48pm
Just do one. Make it your goal to finish. Don’t ride balls to the walls from the start... it’s not Moto. Pace yourself.

There are three things I’d take for sure. Hand guards or bark busters, skid plate, and hydration pack (Leatt makes good ones). You’ll probably need to stop for gas.

Prepare to hurt afterwards. Harescrambles can really kick your ass.
Spooner
1/20/2019 6:06pm
What bike do you have? For the first one or two just focus on running a consistent pace and actually finish the race. A lot of people try to moto down and blow themselves up in 30 minutes and are smoked the rest of the race. As said hydration is huge and prep the couple days leading up to it especially if it’s going to be hot.

The Shop

resetjet
1/20/2019 6:08pm
Camelback. First race is not a race. Just go have fun and dont take serious on this one.
BR8ES
1/20/2019 6:11pm Edited Date/Time 1/20/2019 6:55pm
Try your best to have a #2 before the race.
TymeMoto
1/20/2019 6:26pm
Handguards, skid plate, hydration system are the bare essentials.

If you find yourself with a spare $1000 bucks laying around then a Reckluse auto clutch, oversized tank and radiator fan kit can make things a lot easier on you.
rohleder644
1/20/2019 6:37pm
How about a little background first..... do you have any woods riding experience? What bike are you on? Where are you located and what series are you trying to hit?
Titan1
1/20/2019 6:46pm
I’d say race the class below where you race Moto...if you don’t race Moto, then start in the Novice/beginner class...

I’d say your first race is a race.

Try and get a good start and run the pace of the guys around you....if you don’t get a good start push hard (sprint) the first 5-10 minutes, and pass as many people as you can-before everyone gets spread out-then run the pace of the guys around you.

You’ll never know how hard you can go-and for how long-unless you push yourself. So push yourself and see where you’re at. Then do another race as soon as possible, and apply everything you learned from the first race-if you bonked to early, then maybe back it down a bit...if you had more left in the tank, push a little harder...if you smoked everyone in your class, then move up a class.

Hand guards, skid plate, IMS tank, spark arrestor (if required by the club sanctioning body) and probably the must haves (maybe not the tank if you are running shorter loops...but smaller tank means more pit stops no matter the loop length.

Hydrate...I start a week before the race, and try and drink as close to a gallon of water/day.
1/20/2019 6:50pm
Prepare for the distance. It’s so hard to pace your self.

Easily my biggest mistake is riding too fast for the first 20 min and wasting energy. Be smooth and wait to use that energy when you can actually make moves.

1/20/2019 6:54pm
Handguards for sure. Other than that, pace yourself at first. If you are new to woods riding, I would ride your normal class or one below. You will be surprised how fast the fast guys are. Get ready to have fun, it is a blast!
Alec138
1/20/2019 7:02pm
How about a little background first..... do you have any woods riding experience? What bike are you on? Where are you located and what series are...
How about a little background first..... do you have any woods riding experience? What bike are you on? Where are you located and what series are you trying to hit?
Yes. Intermediate/Advanced rider as in experience on a bike. I can ride almost anywhere with little trouble i would say. 16’ 350sxf. NC. NCHSA/MEHSA are my local series which I have gone to a lot over the years but never raced. Always wanted to, just never got the “push” to. Also never had the bike for it either.
Alec138
1/20/2019 7:05pm
Prepare for the distance. It’s so hard to pace your self. Easily my biggest mistake is riding too fast for the first 20 min and wasting...

Easily my biggest mistake is riding too fast for the first 20 min and wasting energy. Be smooth and wait to use that energy when you can actually make moves.

One thing I REALLY struggle with is breathing. Riding in general I find myself pushing too hard straight off and than once my breathing rhythm gets screwed up, i lose focus and start riding slow and tiring fast. Reason I want to get into racing so I can learn how to pace myself and control myself longer vs just riding.
barnett468
1/20/2019 7:18pm Edited Date/Time 1/20/2019 7:26pm
Prepare for the distance. It’s so hard to pace your self. Easily my biggest mistake is riding too fast for the first 20 min and wasting...

Alec138 wrote:
One thing I REALLY struggle with is breathing. Riding in general I find myself pushing too hard straight off and than once my breathing rhythm gets...
One thing I REALLY struggle with is breathing. Riding in general I find myself pushing too hard straight off and than once my breathing rhythm gets screwed up, i lose focus and start riding slow and tiring fast. Reason I want to get into racing so I can learn how to pace myself and control myself longer vs just riding.
"Yes. Intermediate/Advanced rider as in experience on a bike."

Ride the novice class then, and if you have never actually raced before, you should seriously consider the beginner class. Either way, prepare to get your ass kicked by several riders even in these classes, but don't get frustrated if you do, because some of them are likely much better than the class they signed up for and probably should be riding the next higher class.

Getting winded can be because you are physically not in great condition, and/or you are getting nervous. I had this problem when I first started racing as well, and just kept focusing on my breathing and deliberately breathed slowly and as normally as possible while racing and the problem went away fairly quickly, but I have no idea how others that had this same problem got over it.

As others mentioned, these are more of an "endurance" type race, so don't try to keep up with anyone for your first race, just view it as a long trail ride the first time around. Crashing is rarely fun, and it's far easier to do when one is tired but is still trying to go fairly fast.

colintrax
Fantasy
2363rd
1/20/2019 7:30pm
So you've never lined up on a gate? You're not racing A and I highly doubt you'll be competitive in B. Race C class.
North Carolina you NEED hand guards, radiator guard/brace, an oversized tank doesnt hurt, and premium coolant doesnt hurt with the 4 strokes being so damn hot in the woods.
You need tears offs, a camelbak, and low expectations. Good luck and have fun. Cool
Alec138
1/20/2019 7:40pm
colintrax wrote:
So you've never lined up on a gate? You're not racing A and I highly doubt you'll be competitive in B. Race C class. North Carolina...
So you've never lined up on a gate? You're not racing A and I highly doubt you'll be competitive in B. Race C class.
North Carolina you NEED hand guards, radiator guard/brace, an oversized tank doesnt hurt, and premium coolant doesnt hurt with the 4 strokes being so damn hot in the woods.
You need tears offs, a camelbak, and low expectations. Good luck and have fun. Cool
Nope. I will probably race in unlimited class as there is no dedicated “C Class”. Its really confusing for both series because they call them 10 different things a piece lol. Handguards are the 1st add on to any of my bikes especially after i basically punched a tree blowing through a corner going about 35 or so.... We run Engine Ice usually. I am looking into rad braces.... I do need to get a camelbak. Just trail riding I never found a use for one as before I ever get thirtsy or anything we arent 10 miles from the parking lot. I use tear offs every ride. Some people think they do nothing till you have to replace lens every 2 rides. That $15 for 20 tearoffs doesnt sound too bad then... lol.
colintrax
Fantasy
2363rd
1/20/2019 7:52pm
Alec138 wrote:
Nope. I will probably race in unlimited class as there is no dedicated “C Class”. Its really confusing for both series because they call them 10...
Nope. I will probably race in unlimited class as there is no dedicated “C Class”. Its really confusing for both series because they call them 10 different things a piece lol. Handguards are the 1st add on to any of my bikes especially after i basically punched a tree blowing through a corner going about 35 or so.... We run Engine Ice usually. I am looking into rad braces.... I do need to get a camelbak. Just trail riding I never found a use for one as before I ever get thirtsy or anything we arent 10 miles from the parking lot. I use tear offs every ride. Some people think they do nothing till you have to replace lens every 2 rides. That $15 for 20 tearoffs doesnt sound too bad then... lol.
You have a C class option. The 3pm race is gonna be better so you dont have to worry about being in the fast guys way.
Spend a few minutes researching camelbaks. They're useful for moto, bicycles, hiking, ect ect. KTM radiators are already kinda braced from the factory, but KTM hard parts sells a good brace. Steel rectangle that borders the radiator from the front. Very strong and doesnt block any air flow.

JRT812
1/20/2019 7:54pm
If possible, try to find a club or local riders that you can go train with. It will give you good insight on what to expect speed wise and bike setup.

First race, just enjoy the experience.
Kid Spam
1/20/2019 10:24pm
Critical tips already posted.
Conditions day of race and course, adjust tire pressure for tube pinching or wet, etc. Suspension adjustment if comfortable. Figure out if you will need fuel to finish. Stash a bottle for a quick hit if needed. You will be surprised at the manic pace you will be running for 2 hours. If you are not in shape, be cautious.

Post a reply to: Harescramble racing?

The Latest