Hannah on WTS

Bacon_n_Egg'r
Fantasy
1816th
11/14/2022 9:09pm
This thread is pretty much why I gave up on Vital. My first account was nixed by Guy B by "accident" but then he was unwilling to bring it back so I started another one. Go against the "I'm a tough old motocrosser and a patriot" in any way on here and it's a pile-on. Maybe I'm just a Canadian pussy, WTF do I know.

Yeah, I just turned 54. I grew up a huge fan of Bob, met him at Washougal 1984 in a hotel parking lot. He was gruff but cordial and signed my hat. Also met RJ who was way more friendly and chatted with my buddy and I for about 15 minutes. One guy left a much more positive impression than the other, that's for sure.

Honestly, go back and listen to Bob on Matthes' podcasts, he runs a lot of the same stories but I think in the time that has passed he's even a bit more in love with himself. After the commercial break of the WTS I was pretty much done, I'll finish up the final part eventually. I respect his ability and determination on a motorcycle, his competitiveness and I am sure he is a great pilot as well but I can't quite handle that much ego.

For a complete contrast, go listen to any detailed podcast with Broc Glover, the guy is the epitome of humble and classy.
11/14/2022 9:33pm
MPJC wrote:
I haven't listened to the show but "Jap" may or may not be racist, depending on how it's being used. It could be used derisively, or...
I haven't listened to the show but "Jap" may or may not be racist, depending on how it's being used. It could be used derisively, or as an abbreviation. It's the context that matters. On the one hand, some are too quick to cry "racist" when it's not warranted. This sort of virtue policing is insufferably irritating and infantile. On the other hand, it can be easy to give your hero a pass he doesn't deserve. I don't know which is the case here. If he was racist, there's nothing "tough" about tolerating it, or "soft" about calling it out. Bullies and their enablers aren't "real men" (again, not saying that necessarily applies here). Real men stand up to bullies and defend their targets. Bullies and those impressed by them tend to be powerless, insecure men who like to puff out their chest to compensate for their inadequacies with comically phony shows of manufactured machismo.

11/15/2022 12:05am
Joshracing wrote:
What a boring shit show. Could have consolidated it down to 20 minutes, really. Not a mention of those Exotic Hondas from '83-'85? Joking? At least...
What a boring shit show. Could have consolidated it down to 20 minutes, really. Not a mention of those Exotic Hondas from '83-'85? Joking? At least he talks like a normal human, saying it old school, respect for not giving a fuck what folks think.
Ping asked him specifically about the first Honda he rode, the 82 works bike. He also spoke about the 83 and how good it was. Maybe...
Ping asked him specifically about the first Honda he rode, the 82 works bike. He also spoke about the 83 and how good it was. Maybe try again and pay attention this time?
Hey Roosty, yes, I did see that, but, it was not a point of discussion that it deserved. Those bikes, really from 1981-1985, before the stocky rule, deserve their own WTS hour+. How much of an advantage, behind the scenes, how much ride time... there's loads of stories to be had from this amazing period of bike development. We've not seen anything like it since. Bob was in the chair, they ignored it, for the most part, talking bullshit. We didn't care what happened in the car park of the hotel, really. Missed opportunity.

The Shop

jaun
11/15/2022 2:03am Edited Date/Time 11/15/2022 2:18am
I'm only in the first hr and a half and holy shit this is great!
BBA
11/15/2022 3:16am
RACERX69 wrote:
Your Dad served in WW2? Hmm, that put's you somewhere your mid 70's and your hanging out on a moto forum?? I call bullchit!!
He could be in his 50s. I know two people in their 50s who's parents fought in Normandy.
Big age gaps. Jesus! Alf the alien was 40 yrs ago, WW2 was 40 before that
LMAO, I have brought up Alf to my kids and they said it sounded like a crappy show. No one seemingly remembers Alf but that sitcom was awesome back in the day.

I'm more of a reader over a posting member on here but it does baffle the hell out of me how a thread as cool as this about one of the sport's most popular hero's gets turned into a woke racist debate? I guess the little tuner car running around this area with the sticker on the back that reads "Jap Crap" is racist? Oh, did I mention the driver of this tuner is Asian. Just saying!
PNWMXer
11/15/2022 4:56am
Joshracing wrote:
What a boring shit show. Could have consolidated it down to 20 minutes, really. Not a mention of those Exotic Hondas from '83-'85? Joking? At least...
What a boring shit show. Could have consolidated it down to 20 minutes, really. Not a mention of those Exotic Hondas from '83-'85? Joking? At least he talks like a normal human, saying it old school, respect for not giving a fuck what folks think.
Ping asked him specifically about the first Honda he rode, the 82 works bike. He also spoke about the 83 and how good it was. Maybe...
Ping asked him specifically about the first Honda he rode, the 82 works bike. He also spoke about the 83 and how good it was. Maybe try again and pay attention this time?
Joshracing wrote:
Hey Roosty, yes, I did see that, but, it was not a point of discussion that it deserved. Those bikes, really from 1981-1985, before the stocky...
Hey Roosty, yes, I did see that, but, it was not a point of discussion that it deserved. Those bikes, really from 1981-1985, before the stocky rule, deserve their own WTS hour+. How much of an advantage, behind the scenes, how much ride time... there's loads of stories to be had from this amazing period of bike development. We've not seen anything like it since. Bob was in the chair, they ignored it, for the most part, talking bullshit. We didn't care what happened in the car park of the hotel, really. Missed opportunity.

Check out the WTS with Dave Arnold, they discussed this period a lot on that episode. RJ was co-hosting as well.
Bearuno
11/15/2022 5:05am
PNWMXer wrote:
Check out the WTS with Dave Arnold, they discussed this period a lot on that episode. RJ was co-hosting as well.
I think Steve Matthes - I always spell it wrong - did an interview with Dave, with a 2 , or 3 Works Hondas behind and to the sides them.
PNWMXer
11/15/2022 5:11am
PNWMXer wrote:
Bearuno wrote:
I think Steve Matthes - I always spell it wrong - did an interview with Dave, with a 2 , or 3 Works Hondas behind and...
I think Steve Matthes - I always spell it wrong - did an interview with Dave, with a 2 , or 3 Works Hondas behind and to the sides them.
He did. Great listen/watch there as well.
11/15/2022 6:19am
hannah was before my time but he is def a character

he seems to be honest and he even said he was a narcissist.

alot of you guys are huge pussys and its not like you have to work or live with the guy 24/7
ATKpilot99
11/15/2022 6:28am
hannah was before my time but he is def a character he seems to be honest and he even said he was a narcissist. alot of...

alot of you guys are huge pussys and its not like you have to work or live with the guy 24/7
So if you don't care for Hannah you're a pussy ? I've never cared for him even back when he raced . I never found him offensive I just liked seeing other riders beat him . I of course recognize his talent and place in motocross history .
motomike137
11/15/2022 6:56am
I met Bob back in 1982 and I told him one day there would be this thing called an internet forum where a bunch of wannabees would argue from their mom's basement 40 years from now over whether he's a dick a racist or both. He just smiled Wink
nskerb
11/15/2022 7:49am
[img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2022/11/14/576825/s1200_E176B737_6E0B_4562_98C8_B0AB4A4C4F06.jpg[/img]

Lions cannot speak.
Shiftfaced
11/15/2022 8:03am Edited Date/Time 11/15/2022 8:08am
Bob lives in the Boise area, and I have actually ran across him twice.

Once mountain biking, another time around planes, and he was normal and pleasant in both situations.

The first time was at the Nampa airport. My father-in-law had a Cessna 182 that he would fly down from Spokane in.

So my wife and I are in the terminal in Nampa, waiting for them to show up, I turn around, and right there is BOB fucking HANNAH!

As cool as I could, I said “Hey Bob”.

He asks what I am doing in the airport, and I tell him. As I finish up, Gerry lands, I say “See ya”, and off we go.

As we walk out to the plane, my wife asks: “Who was that, and how do you know him?”. I told her “I don’t know him, that was BOB flicking HANNAH”!

(Looking back, I was rude, because I knew who he was, and he had no idea who I was. The right thing to do would have been to introduce myself to him.)

Mtn biking, I was just “one in a crowd” that happened to be invited along in a group that he rides with. I just shut up and rode, and did not ask him anything about moto, as the word is that he does not really want to be bothered by it. It was just a ride with normal banter and trail talk.

11/15/2022 8:08am
Can we retire the word snowflake? It's awful. Just call them what they are, pussies
Magoofan wrote:
Agreed!

Same goes for:

"Butthurt"
"living rent free in your head".

All are SO played out.

Living rent free in your head could be the absolute worst.
PVB
11/15/2022 8:10am
Hannah is the Ted Nugent of motocross. The arrogance and braggodocio is part of the package.It's not for everyone.
11/15/2022 8:13am
hannah was before my time but he is def a character he seems to be honest and he even said he was a narcissist. alot of...

ATKpilot99 wrote:
So if you don't care for Hannah you're a pussy ? I've never cared for him even back when he raced . I never found him...
So if you don't care for Hannah you're a pussy ? I've never cared for him even back when he raced . I never found him offensive I just liked seeing other riders beat him . I of course recognize his talent and place in motocross history .
Yes you're a pussy. LoL j/k. Everyone take a breather. It's not that serious. Haphazardly tossing around the term racist is somewhat infuriating
MPJC
Fantasy
704th
11/15/2022 8:22am
PVB wrote:
Hannah is the Ted Nugent of motocross. The arrogance and braggodocio is part of the package.It's not for everyone.
That's probably not a fair comparison. One of the funniest comments I've seen on social media is that Ted Nugent and Kid Rock make music for people who know how much Sudafed you can get for a catalytic converter.
DonM
11/15/2022 9:18am
Who the hell is Bob Hannah.....
pursang833
11/15/2022 11:30am
RACERX69 wrote:
Your Dad served in WW2? Hmm, that put's you somewhere your mid 70's and your hanging out on a moto forum?? I call bullchit!!
He could be in his 50s. I know two people in their 50s who's parents fought in Normandy.
Obviously I don't post much, or maybe never but read almost every day. My Dad fought in the European theater and I'm 63. After my almost non-existent pro career I entered the Coast Guard and got shot at and stabbed which was fun. Anyway, one thing about getting older is that the filter between the brain and mouth goes away. Also we grew up with different so called rules as to what or how things were referred to. With Hannah being so quotable I'm sure some things slip back to 1970's speak. Just a few cents and I'll now go back to reading the posts.
msp332
11/15/2022 11:54am
Second time I've posted this Merriam-Webster dictionary definition in this forum:

Jap
noun or adjective
disparaging + offensive
: JAPANESE

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/Jap

Does he have redeeming qualities? Of course. That doesn't make everything he says okay.
11/15/2022 12:30pm
msp332 wrote:
Second time I've posted this Merriam-Webster dictionary definition in this forum: Jap noun or adjective disparaging + offensive : JAPANESE [url=https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/Jap]https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/Jap[/url] Does he have redeeming qualities...
Second time I've posted this Merriam-Webster dictionary definition in this forum:

Jap
noun or adjective
disparaging + offensive
: JAPANESE

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/Jap

Does he have redeeming qualities? Of course. That doesn't make everything he says okay.

Crossup
11/15/2022 12:35pm Edited Date/Time 11/15/2022 12:36pm
[img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2022/11/14/576825/s1200_E176B737_6E0B_4562_98C8_B0AB4A4C4F06.jpg[/img]

nskerb wrote:
Lions cannot speak.
But if they did speak, I figure they might do a little bragging.
APLMAN99
11/15/2022 2:06pm
Hannah is probably my all-time favorite rider.

I wish he would think about what he says, though. As the father-in-law of a wonderful young woman of Asian descent, I think that his words were unfortunate. It may not sound as harsh as some racial epithets, but it isn't exactly a sign of respect, either.
OleTex
11/15/2022 2:24pm
Those Hannah vs. Marty Smith battles where legendary. Same with Hannah vs. Kent Howerton.
langhammx
Fantasy
455th
11/15/2022 3:18pm
APLMAN99 wrote:
Hannah is probably my all-time favorite rider. I wish he would think about what he says, though. As the father-in-law of a wonderful young woman of...

I wish he would think about what he says, though. As the father-in-law of a wonderful young woman of Asian descent, I think that his words were unfortunate. It may not sound as harsh as some racial epithets, but it isn't exactly a sign of respect, either.
My daughter-in-law is from Thailand. She’s pretty easy going and I doubt that she would be offended. I do understand that it may bother some people, but Bob has always said what’s on his mind.
I’ve spent a little time around him on a few occasions with a mutual friend. I’m surprised it hadn’t come up yet at what a germaphobe he is. Way before COVID, he’s been really careful about shaking hands with people. When he does autograph signings, he has single use hand wipes in his pocket. He uses them regularly… when the wipes are gone, the hand shaking stops !! Lol
I haven’t seen him since COVID hit us, he had to have been a wreck, I’m sure he had a small circle of friends that he was around, I’d bet he avoided getting out and about.
yak651
Fantasy
214th
11/15/2022 3:30pm
PVB wrote:
Except he didn’t crap his pants to get out of going to Nam
11/15/2022 3:34pm
APLMAN99 wrote:
Hannah is probably my all-time favorite rider. I wish he would think about what he says, though. As the father-in-law of a wonderful young woman of...

Hey look, a reasonable human with personal perspective and consideration for all aspects of the argument. Weird.
🍻
APLMAN99
11/15/2022 3:39pm
APLMAN99 wrote:

Hey look, a reasonable human with personal perspective and consideration for all aspects of the argument. Weird.
🍻
I wouldn't say that I'm completely reasonable. If he used those same terms aimed AT my daughter in law, I'd probably get pretty worked up and confrontational about it, no matter who he is.
11/15/2022 3:47pm
APLMAN99 wrote:

🍻
APLMAN99 wrote:
I wouldn't say that I'm completely reasonable. If he used those same terms aimed AT my daughter in law, I'd probably get pretty worked up and...
I wouldn't say that I'm completely reasonable. If he used those same terms aimed AT my daughter in law, I'd probably get pretty worked up and confrontational about it, no matter who he is.
Oh I would hope so, which would hopefully bring some perspective to him as well. The problem is most people can't confront someone and not completely lose their composure. You don't seem like that guy.
Also, to be fair, there are situations where THAT guy needs to come out haha.
In my opinion he's insensitive, not malicious, with his vocabulary.

Post a reply to: Hannah on WTS

The Latest