Hangtown vs Glen Helen ?

ctbale
3/13/2017 6:37pm
Only National I have ever attended was 2015 Washougal. I have ridden and raced it, great track, but not a great spectator track really. Only can see about 15% to 20% of the track at a time.

I want to do Hangtown or Glen Helen this year. Reading in another thread, there will be a 2 stroke race at these tracks prior to the opening ceremonies, now I REALLY want to make one of these events!

Question: If you would have to choose one event, which event?

Thanks in advance.
|
C.Worthy
3/13/2017 6:41pm
Glen Helen. The massive hill is a sight to see especially when you have 2 strokes screamin their way up. Viewing is prime here. If you walk up some of the hills you can see at least 80% of the track at once.
BMSOBx2
3/13/2017 6:50pm
ctbale wrote:
Only National I have ever attended was 2015 Washougal. I have ridden and raced it, great track, but not a great spectator track really. Only can...
Only National I have ever attended was 2015 Washougal. I have ridden and raced it, great track, but not a great spectator track really. Only can see about 15% to 20% of the track at a time.

I want to do Hangtown or Glen Helen this year. Reading in another thread, there will be a 2 stroke race at these tracks prior to the opening ceremonies, now I REALLY want to make one of these events!

Thanks in advance.
Hangtown, but I'm a Nor Cal guy. Start of the outdoor season. Everyone wants to see whos hot & whos not. 250 class is always interesting.
jnickell
Fantasy
1874th
3/13/2017 6:53pm Edited Date/Time 3/13/2017 6:55pm
I have been to both quite a few times. Actually, I've only missed Hangtown one year since 1993 and that was 1994. Been to Glen Helen half a dozen times. I love them both. I've also been to Washougal 1990 and 1995. You're right, the viewing is not that great. Still a must see in my book.

Here's my opinions...
The decision variables differ greatly.

Variables
1: Hills
Winner: Glen Helen
If you want to see giant uphills and downhills, I'm not sure any track rivals Glen Helen.

2. Jumps
Winner: Tie
Glen Helen and Hangtown both have some pretty big booters.

3. Viewing
Winner: Hangtown
The hillside on the opposite side of the valley from the pits gives you a great vantage point of both the start and finsh as well as about 3/4 of the entire track.

4. Weather
I have been to both of them and experienced rain, extreme heat and a little chilly.

5. Parking
Parking always sucks getting out of Hangtown is a little faster.

6. Injuries
Round One has a stronger chance of having full gates.

7. Things to do after the race
Old Folsom is pretty cool as is the much improved downtown Sacramento night life. Not anything like LA or San Diego but not too shabby for a cow town. Glen Helen is very close to the Pro Circuit HQ which is pretty cool to visit. I'm sure there's more moto related places like PC to visit but some of the guys from that area can chime in.

3/13/2017 7:35pm
Only USA race i've ever been to was Glen Helen, and i can say that was worth it. That track is unreal!!! The hills are insane and seeing pro riders fly up and down them is just awesome.

The Shop

Mr. Info
3/13/2017 7:35pm
Hollywood, Vegas, if with children there's Disneyland, Knotts Berry Farm, Magic Mountain, and Sea World or Lego Land. But I would say button your week up by attending both and both races are doing a 2 stroke race as well.
Moto331
3/13/2017 8:00pm
ctbale wrote:
Only National I have ever attended was 2015 Washougal. I have ridden and raced it, great track, but not a great spectator track really. Only can...

Thanks in advance.
You can see 90 percent of the track on certain hills at hangtown. PM me and I'll give all the info
oilman400
Fantasy
2235th
3/13/2017 8:22pm Edited Date/Time 3/13/2017 9:43pm
Not sure if Glen Helen follows Hangtown but if it dose, i'd do both. theres enough stuff to see in between them to make an epic moto vacation. do them both!!! tahoe, Yosemite, Gold country, Napa wine, San Francisco and much more!! been to both and love each one for different reasons.
500guy
3/13/2017 8:33pm
All the people at Dirt Diggers and Hangtown sure have a lot better attitudes, that's probably the biggest difference.
Mit12
3/13/2017 9:07pm
Geln Hellen is a way better track.
Myke
Fantasy
2861st
3/13/2017 9:12pm
Glen Helen. No question.
Phillip_Lamb
Fantasy
2511th
3/13/2017 9:16pm
Id go hangtown.

Its the first round so MOST people will be there after recovering from injuries. and If you sit on the hill behind the start line you can see about 90% of the track.
2stroked
3/13/2017 9:20pm
Glen Helen. This isn't even a discussion. If you have never been to Glen Helen you cannot possibly fathom or appreciate the hills. If you're lucky enough to have raced Glen Helen, coming down and jumping off Mt. St. Helens into the chop and trying to brake in time for the 180 at the bottom is one of the most incredible things you'll ever experience. Then you watch what the pro's do and you'll be in awe.

Glen Helen is real motocross. There are plenty of great area's to see most of the track from. Plus the central nerve of the moto community is there. All the vendors, all the factory teams, all the one off privateers and one race hero's. Plus there's the FMF two stroke race (SEAN COLLIER THROWING DOWN ON THE KX500!!)

yyaaaaa. See you bitches at GWEN HEREN!!!
MXerDW
3/13/2017 9:20pm
If you decide Glen Helen please contact me for a place to hang out and watch a moto or two. We will have food and cold drinks for you.
JMR1976
3/13/2017 9:34pm
I always enjoy round one. Everyone is fresh!
ccstrebe
3/13/2017 9:41pm
ctbale wrote:

Thanks in advance.
I have 3 RV spots all next to each other on the highlands at Glen Helen that are available if you or anyone else is interested in purchasing them off of me. It's my daughters graduation that weekend and I'm not going to be able to make it. The spots are good from Wed. thru Sat. of the Glen Helen National.
BobbyM
3/13/2017 10:19pm
500guy wrote:
All the people at Dirt Diggers and Hangtown sure have a lot better attitudes, that's probably the biggest difference.
Norcal all the way Jay... Dirt diggers North have a motocross passion like no other.
ctbale
3/13/2017 10:27pm
holy moly everybody!! Just read thru all the posts and I think I would be nutz not to do both!!! Thanks for all the awesome advice!!! I am getting stoked for Outdoors! I was born and raised in Minnesota, grew up racing Millville (was called Zumbro then) in the late 70s. Rode & raced Saddleback sometime during the winter of 1976/77, (also raced the Florida winter series in spring 78). I will always remember the cool feeling of the California MX scene then, I was 15 years old. It didnt take long after getting to California to know I was in the epi-Center of this great sport. After hearing all the advice here, 8 or 9 days down there sounds about perfect! Thanks!

Keep the advice coming!
gnarwhip
3/13/2017 10:53pm
I've been to both, Glen Helen is way better. Anyone who says different is a Nor Cal local. Glen Helen has WAY more elevation, and as someone who has been to the GH National at least 20 times, I would recommend hiking up the hills and finding a different spot on a different hill for each of the four motos. Enjoy!
Clutchy
3/13/2017 10:56pm
IMO.. Glen Helen is more intense and high speed. The GH triple step up was first and it was big and fast. But the double back down the drop off was insane. And that's not to mention the downhill's.

DDNMC are the best. Dirt diggers north are a better group and promoters then the track is a track..! Prairie city is a good track but not a great track. Personally think the old track was better but you couldn't see more then a third at a time. Putting in a huge jump didn't make the track a better challenge, it just added a sell able obstacle.

GH offers more but leave early or stay very late. It can take hrs to get out, at least it did.
I'm a Nor Cal'r and grew up riding at and have raced sportsman day at Hangtown. If I could only see one, I'd say GH.

Clutchy
3/13/2017 11:11pm
2stroked wrote:
Glen Helen. This isn't even a discussion. If you have never been to Glen Helen you cannot possibly fathom or appreciate the hills. If you're lucky...
Glen Helen. This isn't even a discussion. If you have never been to Glen Helen you cannot possibly fathom or appreciate the hills. If you're lucky enough to have raced Glen Helen, coming down and jumping off Mt. St. Helens into the chop and trying to brake in time for the 180 at the bottom is one of the most incredible things you'll ever experience. Then you watch what the pro's do and you'll be in awe.

Glen Helen is real motocross. There are plenty of great area's to see most of the track from. Plus the central nerve of the moto community is there. All the vendors, all the factory teams, all the one off privateers and one race hero's. Plus there's the FMF two stroke race (SEAN COLLIER THROWING DOWN ON THE KX500!!)

This here, but Hangtown is a great race.
oldblood
3/14/2017 12:29am
It's like asking me to choose between a blond and a brunette. I want both.
rancor19
3/14/2017 1:59am
Seeing Steinke going off that back huge jump on a 125 at Glen Helen national was insane last year. The hills are def amazing to see...
Seeing Steinke going off that back huge jump on a 125 at Glen Helen national was insane last year. The hills are def amazing to see in person, TV doesn't show the same.

If that don't put a smile on your face...

Cool
ctbale
3/14/2017 10:17am
oh yea, I let it replay at least 30 time with the volume maxed!!
BMSOBx2
3/14/2017 10:45am
oldblood wrote:
It's like asking me to choose between a blond and a brunette. I want both.
GrinningGrinning
moto314
3/14/2017 11:13am
I've been to both (and Washougal), Glen Helen hands down for me! Definitely hit up MXerDW if you go!
Falcon
Fantasy
765th
3/14/2017 11:21am
jnickell wrote:
I have been to both quite a few times. Actually, I've only missed Hangtown one year since 1993 and that was 1994. Been to Glen Helen...
I have been to both quite a few times. Actually, I've only missed Hangtown one year since 1993 and that was 1994. Been to Glen Helen half a dozen times. I love them both. I've also been to Washougal 1990 and 1995. You're right, the viewing is not that great. Still a must see in my book.

Here's my opinions...
The decision variables differ greatly.

Variables
1: Hills
Winner: Glen Helen
If you want to see giant uphills and downhills, I'm not sure any track rivals Glen Helen.

2. Jumps
Glen Helen and Hangtown both have some pretty big booters.

3. Viewing
The hillside on the opposite side of the valley from the pits gives you a great vantage point of both the start and finsh as well as about 3/4 of the entire track.

4. Weather
I have been to both of them and experienced rain, extreme heat and a little chilly.

5. Parking
Parking always sucks getting out of Hangtown is a little faster.

6. Injuries
Round One has a stronger chance of having full gates.

7. Things to do after the race
Old Folsom is pretty cool as is the much improved downtown Sacramento night life. Not anything like LA or San Diego but not too shabby for a cow town. Glen Helen is very close to the Pro Circuit HQ which is pretty cool to visit. I'm sure there's more moto related places like PC to visit but some of the guys from that area can chime in.

I've been to both these races as well (including once or twice with jnickell,) and I have to say you can't go wrong with either. I tend to lean more toward Glen Helen since it's closer to me, and I suspect that JNick is doing the same for Hangtown.

The hills are definitely gnarlier at Glen Helen though, and that's the kicker for me. Cool
Myke
Fantasy
2861st
3/14/2017 12:17pm
2stroked wrote:
Glen Helen. This isn't even a discussion. If you have never been to Glen Helen you cannot possibly fathom or appreciate the hills. If you're lucky...

Well said.

I have been to both. Hangtown is okay but it's just not the same.
ctbale
3/14/2017 12:49pm
MXerDW wrote:
If you decide Glen Helen please contact me for a place to hang out and watch a moto or two. We will have food and cold...
If you decide Glen Helen please contact me for a place to hang out and watch a moto or two. We will have food and cold drinks for you.
Thats an awesome offer MXerDW!!

Workin on travel plans as we speak, will let you know.

Going to try to do both I think.
Harvdog21
3/14/2017 2:08pm
Well, I help promote Hangtown, and I can tell you that I like Glen Helen alot. No doubt the elevation changes and obstacles are huge. Lori and crew put on a good show. Prairie City is not the finest track in the country, but we work hard to do the best we can with the current soil conditions. We import many, many truckloads of sand to rut up the track and make it challenging. It was smoother and faster last year because we had to prep for rain. But this year hopefully we get back to the sandy, rutty conditions like two years ago.

One really cool thing we've done is the Palladio Mall Autograph Signing Party in Folsom on Thursday night before pro Saturday. It brings almost all of the pros to one place for autographs and a bunch of exhibitors to show off to the public. It's also free. Now in year three, we are getting over 3000 people coming out for this free event. Old town Folsom has a few nice bars and dinner places as well.

The one thing that Hangtown has going for it is that it is the season opener. Whether it's Supercross or Outdoors, opening rounds are always high energy. But you wouldn't be disappointed going to either round honestly.

Post a reply to: Hangtown vs Glen Helen ?

The Latest