Hangtown is an off week for GP's, right?

flarider
Edited Date/Time 1/24/2012 9:24pm
So, how many GP riders are going to race Hangtown?

Is Carioli going to race Hangtown? It's an off week, why not?
|
robkinuk
4/9/2010 6:32am
They race Bellpuig Spain on the 15/16th May, bit of a tall order to be crated up, fly, get over jet lag and be ready for Hangtown in 7 days.
Bet they go and hang out with Jody and the REM boys at GH!
DC
4/9/2010 7:06am
Rob, the GP guys have to fly back to France after the US and be ready in four days for the next race, so what's the difference in going to Hangtown?

DC
MX Sports
flarider
4/9/2010 7:08am
So what? Going to use jet lag as an excuse? Well then, might as well skip the USGP entirely because they have to race in France the following week.

It's cool that KTM is sending Searle and Alessi to race the GP because they have an off-week and the races are nearby, but why not send Musquin and Cairoli to Hangtown because it's an off-week and the races are nearby? Seems like a great way to adjust to the speed of the Americans.

Jet lag is a piss poor excuse considering they race in France the following week.

Seems to me, if people are going to give American riders shit for not racing the GP, why aren't they giving the GP riders shit for not racing Hangtown on their off week...they're coming to town anyway, right?

ehr400
4/9/2010 7:14am
Wow, Flarider, very valid points. I wonder when the minions of the anti-american retards start showing up. Ain't no fun when the rabbit got the gun!

The Shop

DownSouth
4/9/2010 7:17am Edited Date/Time 4/17/2016 9:59pm
But what if the GP guys were to get hurt running a race at Hangtown that was not part of their championship?

ehr400
4/9/2010 7:19am
DownSouth wrote:
But what if the GP guys were to get hurt running a race at Hangtown that was not part of their championship?

Oh yeah, what would be their excuse then? Gotta love it when the shoe is on the other foot.
DownSouth
4/9/2010 7:23am Edited Date/Time 4/17/2016 9:59pm
DownSouth wrote:

ehr400 wrote:
Oh yeah, what would be their excuse then? Gotta love it when the shoe is on the other foot.
Hopefully the sacrcasm was evident.

The truth is there is too much to lose for both sides to run a race outside of their respective championship series. Little to gain, much to risk.
flarider
4/9/2010 7:25am
DownSouth wrote:

Well, according to some, that isn't a valid excuse
jbomx363
4/9/2010 7:26am
DownSouth wrote:
Hopefully the sacrcasm was evident. The truth is there is too much to lose for both sides to run a race outside of their respective championship...

The truth is there is too much to lose for both sides to run a race outside of their respective championship series. Little to gain, much to risk.
If only the masses could understand that.
4/9/2010 7:34am
DownSouth wrote:

ehr400 wrote:
DownSouth wrote:
Hopefully the sacrcasm was evident. The truth is there is too much to lose for both sides to run a race outside of their respective championship...

Agree DownSouth,
ehr400
4/9/2010 7:40am
Then if the Americans win it is the excuse of they ride there all the time. If they dont ride it is because they are too scared. Dumb.
jamma10
4/9/2010 7:56am
DownSouth wrote:

ehr400 wrote:
Might be worth waiting to see if anyone DOES decide to race Hangtown first before you start skipping around making a song and dance about it.

This is how these stupid arguments get out of control. A USGP has been added to the calendar at the last minute and within a week we're already toying with the idea that GP riders have no excuse for not racing a National the week before?
DC
4/9/2010 8:00am Edited Date/Time 4/17/2016 9:59pm
This has always been a conundrum. As a fan, I want to see those guys race against our guys and vice-versa; as a team manager, I would probably see it differently. But it seems like the risks are equal, though the GP guys would not get to race their works bikes at Hangtown, and it's doubtful the AMA guys will have them just for Glen Helen to compete under FIM rules.

DC

MX Sports
flarider
4/9/2010 8:08am
Good point...

What works bikes would the US riders have (and have time to test) for the USGP?
jo2910
4/9/2010 8:09am
I hope some of them do race Hangtown that would be awesome. The only thing I can imagine is the cost of staying in the US for two weeks. Might sound petty but none of the teams had budgeted to go to the US which will be hard to do for some if you have to pay two weeks of hotel for a whole team that's a lot.

I think only the top teams will be going anyway. Not sure about teams like Honda LS (Leok and Guarneri) the Suzuki team of DeReuver and strijbos CAS with Swanie and bobryshev or KTM HDI with Teillet.

So count maybe 12-15 riders in each class youstream is going to have to convince some AMA riders to race!!
aminkman
4/9/2010 8:16am Edited Date/Time 4/17/2016 9:59pm
How come 250 west riders aren't worried about wrecking there chances at a championship when they race 450 on the east coast?
Teams don't have baselines for testing from MXDN?
These are dumb arguments.
jo2910
4/9/2010 8:20am Edited Date/Time 4/9/2010 8:22am
DC wrote:
This has always been a conundrum. As a fan, I want to see those guys race against our guys and vice-versa; as a team manager, I...
This has always been a conundrum. As a fan, I want to see those guys race against our guys and vice-versa; as a team manager, I would probably see it differently. But it seems like the risks are equal, though the GP guys would not get to race their works bikes at Hangtown, and it's doubtful the AMA guys will have them just for Glen Helen to compete under FIM rules.

DC

MX Sports
Do AMA riders use their bike or GP works bikes when they come for Mxdn? I think they would be confident enough to race their usual bikes at GH.

So since the event is backed by Red bull which of their riders will they push to do it?

Bubba
Dungey?
TLD team
Shorty
Milsaps

Hopefully monster will want their riders to put one over redbull guys at a redbull event
flarider
4/9/2010 8:21am
aminkman wrote:
How come 250 west riders aren't worried about wrecking there chances at a championship when they race 450 on the east coast? Teams don't have baselines...
How come 250 west riders aren't worried about wrecking there chances at a championship when they race 450 on the east coast?
Teams don't have baselines for testing from MXDN?
These are dumb arguments.
How many top 250 west riders raced 450's in the east?
500guy
4/9/2010 8:29am
If the GP riders don't race Hangtown they are pussies.
motokid40
4/9/2010 8:54am
500guy wrote:
That's riiiiight!
88sdad
4/9/2010 9:00am
DC wrote:
Rob, the GP guys have to fly back to France after the US and be ready in four days for the next race, so what's the...
Rob, the GP guys have to fly back to France after the US and be ready in four days for the next race, so what's the difference in going to Hangtown?

DC
MX Sports
DC, are you encouraging the GP riders to race Hangtown?

If so, are you also encouraging the AMA riders to race the GP?
aminkman
4/9/2010 9:00am
500guy wrote:
As are the AMA riders.
We debate this endlessly about who's better and here is the best case scenerio.
Back to back races, one AMA and one GP, and all we get is lame excuses about testing, middle of championships, nothing to gain, and jet lag.
It should never be disscused again because nobody wants it to happen.
Instead we get MXDN one off crap shoot race that doesn't settle anything.
jamma10
4/9/2010 9:05am
DC wrote:
This has always been a conundrum. As a fan, I want to see those guys race against our guys and vice-versa; as a team manager, I...

DC

MX Sports
DC do you ever foresee a unified series of some kind, or would you be against it? Im not looking for a right or wrong answer by the way, Im just interested to hear your personal take on it.
DC
4/9/2010 9:07am
Like I said, as a fan, I would love to see them all race; as a team manager, I might have different concerns.

In my opinion, any AMA rider who wants to go and their team wants them to go, absolutely go. And any GP rider that wants to come race Hangtown and see how they stack up, they should sign up and compete.

But the ones who don't want to, either race, I can see why: They have championships to win, and after seeing so many guys in recent years lose their shots to titles because of injuries, both in SX and MX, it's a reasonable concern for their teams.

If I were KTM, I would be afraid to send Musquin and Cairoli to Hangtown.

DC
MX Sports
4/9/2010 9:09am
The difference between the AMA and GP riders is mainly logistics and time.

have a GP on Sunday, fly to the US on Monday, start training Tuesday, till Saturday, do Hangtown ride a week and recover from a hellweek go riding at GH for 2 days and get back to France, face jetlag and recover for next week.

vs the AMA guys.

Do Hangtown with 3 weeks of preparation., go home train like you allways do, drive to GH, do the GP and go back to your normal regime.

For the GP riders to take on Hangtown means 3 weeks of travelling and riding under unusual conditions.

Maybe next year they can put some more time between the GP's and YS and MX Sports can work something out so both riders can enter the other series.

As far as bikes go, that works stuff looks cool and saves some pounds, but motorwise, GP and AMA riders kinda have the same thing. and you can always bring your own suspension like Marc de Reuver did for Southwick.
ayearinmx
4/9/2010 9:15am
I can almost guarantee that Josh Coppins, Manuel Priem, Anthony Boissiere, Tom Church, Stephen Sword, Martin Michek, Julien Bill and Aigar Leok will not be lining up at Hangtown

but lets face..... the only pro rider on this planet who isn't a pussy is Ashley Fiolek, who's running both the AMA and World Championships... perhaps more riders should follow her lead...Whistling
englishman
4/9/2010 9:15am Edited Date/Time 4/17/2016 10:00pm
flarider wrote:
So what? Going to use jet lag as an excuse? Well then, might as well skip the USGP entirely because they have to race in France...
So what? Going to use jet lag as an excuse? Well then, might as well skip the USGP entirely because they have to race in France the following week.

It's cool that KTM is sending Searle and Alessi to race the GP because they have an off-week and the races are nearby, but why not send Musquin and Cairoli to Hangtown because it's an off-week and the races are nearby? Seems like a great way to adjust to the speed of the Americans.

Jet lag is a piss poor excuse considering they race in France the following week.

Seems to me, if people are going to give American riders shit for not racing the GP, why aren't they giving the GP riders shit for not racing Hangtown on their off week...they're coming to town anyway, right?

Whos giving the americans shit for not doing GH ??

500guy
4/9/2010 9:15am
brakkeman_ wrote:
The difference between the AMA and GP riders is mainly logistics and time. have a GP on Sunday, fly to the US on Monday, start training...
The difference between the AMA and GP riders is mainly logistics and time.

have a GP on Sunday, fly to the US on Monday, start training Tuesday, till Saturday, do Hangtown ride a week and recover from a hellweek go riding at GH for 2 days and get back to France, face jetlag and recover for next week.

vs the AMA guys.

Do Hangtown with 3 weeks of preparation., go home train like you allways do, drive to GH, do the GP and go back to your normal regime.

For the GP riders to take on Hangtown means 3 weeks of travelling and riding under unusual conditions.

Maybe next year they can put some more time between the GP's and YS and MX Sports can work something out so both riders can enter the other series.

As far as bikes go, that works stuff looks cool and saves some pounds, but motorwise, GP and AMA riders kinda have the same thing. and you can always bring your own suspension like Marc de Reuver did for Southwick.
Yes we get it. GP riders have excuses. AMA riders do not.
englishman
4/9/2010 9:17am
This yet another US/ Europe pissing competition thread ?

Can't we limit these to one a week or something ?
flarider
4/9/2010 9:23am
englishman wrote:
Whos giving the americans shit for not doing GH ??

Must not come around as often as I thought

Post a reply to: Hangtown is an off week for GP's, right?

The Latest