Hangtown 98-01 Pics (Just me Riding)

ProKawi24
Edited Date/Time 9/11/2021 3:00pm
Every year I'm surprised at how different (yet somehow similar) this track looks from when I used to ride it 20 years ago. The first 2 hill sections especially look so much different. The start used to be flipped around the other direction and the finish jump used to be more where the 1st turn currently is. Just figured I would share some pictures of me riding the track long ago.

Old finish jump in the background -

Same jump, different angle -

Middle area of the track where the rollers are now -

Downhill double close to where the current one is -

Old finish jump -

Middle area where rollers now are -

2 Turns before the Fly 150 jump -

Uphill double, pretty much same spot as the current jump -

Turn before old finish jump (right in front of the old 1st turn) -

Middle area where rollers are now -

Same jump -

Old finish (they ran the track backwards for a short time) -

This was the old starting line (cement start) opposite direction from how it is now -

|
-MAVERICK-
Fantasy
3730th
9/11/2021 11:22am
Going to take a wild guess and say you were an RC fan growing up? Grinning
LumpDog841
9/11/2021 11:24am
Love the old school photos. How much was PC and Team Green helping you back in the day?
ProKawi24
9/11/2021 11:34am
-MAVERICK- wrote:
Going to take a wild guess and say you were an RC fan growing up? Grinning
lol the only rider ever I still idolized even after he split with Kawi.

The Shop

fullfloater
Fantasy
10th
9/11/2021 11:39am
Great pics. Is there something wrong with your front brake lever in the last pic?
ProKawi24
9/11/2021 11:46am
LumpDog841 wrote:
Love the old school photos. How much was PC and Team Green helping you back in the day?
My Dad handled all of that but from what I remember it was 50% off engine/suspension work and most other items, some of it being free like graphics obviously. No idea what the bikes cost but they weren't free, I wasn't that high on the sponsorship level. My sponsorship started in 1998 after a PC rep watched me racing Arenacross, came over to our pit after I had won the 80cc 7-11 & Supermini classes. From there each year the new bike model was sent straight to PC for engine/suspension and all the goodies.

Those bikes were killer but the YZ 80's were still so much better up until the 2001 models when Kawi introduced the 85cc. THAT bike was ridiculously fast. For example - that picture of me doing the uphill double....I used to be pinned wide open in 4th on the 80cc and just barely made it. On the new 85cc - 3rd gear without a sweat. I couldn't believe it.
ProKawi24
9/11/2021 12:03pm
Great pics. Is there something wrong with your front brake lever in the last pic?
Yeah actually funny story....you see the 3 ladies in the background? That's my mom, grandma, and sister. My sister was holding my bike on the cement starting line while we packed the gate and dropped my damn bike. My uncle snapped this pic before my dad fixed it best he could in 5 minutes but through the whole moto it was bent too far and really screwed me up. I still give her shit for it to this day.
hubbardmx50
9/11/2021 1:45pm Edited Date/Time 9/11/2021 1:51pm
Good stuff Carl. Those late 90’s early 2000’s KXs with the green frames and Thor gear looked so cool. Wow it looks so much different now, even though I’ve never been there. The track looks so good for the motos today. Seems to have good flow and lines. And It’s not an over-watered mud hole. I just got back from Glen Helen, they were water truck happy today that’s for sure. Haha
fullfloater
Fantasy
10th
9/11/2021 2:01pm
ProKawi24 wrote:
Yeah actually funny story....you see the 3 ladies in the background? That's my mom, grandma, and sister. My sister was holding my bike on the cement...
Yeah actually funny story....you see the 3 ladies in the background? That's my mom, grandma, and sister. My sister was holding my bike on the cement starting line while we packed the gate and dropped my damn bike. My uncle snapped this pic before my dad fixed it best he could in 5 minutes but through the whole moto it was bent too far and really screwed me up. I still give her shit for it to this day.
You can tell her that I'm mad at her too Woohoo
ProKawi24
9/11/2021 3:00pm
ProKawi24 wrote:
Yeah actually funny story....you see the 3 ladies in the background? That's my mom, grandma, and sister. My sister was holding my bike on the cement...
You can tell her that I'm mad at her too Woohoo
LOL.
She was a big help during my racing, I always called her my "equipment manager". She was in charge of all my gear washing and prepping. Used to clean my goggles and set up all my tear-offs, etc. She was an even bigger help after my accident helping me with my physical therapy, I owe her a lot. My mom is a nurse which came in handy often, also was my nutritionist. It was definitely a full family effort which was awesome.
byke
9/11/2021 3:48pm
Anyone remember when it was run backwards and dudes would frigging send it to the flat by the big oak tree? It's a step-down now, but maaaaaaan it was awesome going the other way.
fullfloater
Fantasy
10th
9/12/2021 2:44am
ProKawi24 wrote:
LOL. She was a big help during my racing, I always called her my "equipment manager". She was in charge of all my gear washing and...
LOL.
She was a big help during my racing, I always called her my "equipment manager". She was in charge of all my gear washing and prepping. Used to clean my goggles and set up all my tear-offs, etc. She was an even bigger help after my accident helping me with my physical therapy, I owe her a lot. My mom is a nurse which came in handy often, also was my nutritionist. It was definitely a full family effort which was awesome.
That is awesome.

Post a reply to: Hangtown 98-01 Pics (Just me Riding)

The Latest