Hangtown 450 Entry List

pbody
Fantasy
320th
Wow, I'm counting only 8-ish top riders on 450s....going to be a good season for some privateers to race into some solid results.

No Peick?
|
VoR
5/16/2018 6:49pm
Perfect time for Stew & Jlaw comebacks. They're on the list right?!?!?
slipdog
5/16/2018 7:18pm
Heard there were only 48 entries?
mb60
5/16/2018 7:47pm
Man it seems like the nationals are dieing before our eyes.
TeamGreen
5/16/2018 7:51pm
"Pre-Entry"

Not a single JGR rider listed that I could see.

The Shop

MXerDW
5/16/2018 7:54pm
TeamGreen wrote:
"Pre-Entry"

Nicoletti is listed.
TeamGreen
5/16/2018 8:06pm
TeamGreen wrote:
"Pre-Entry"

MXerDW wrote:
Nicoletti is listed.
Huh. Where's everyone-else? Should have a Hill on a Fo'Fiddy...funny...might have -2- Hills in the 450s!
crusty_xx
Fantasy
156th
5/17/2018 4:07am
TeamGreen wrote:
"Pre-Entry"

MXerDW wrote:
Nicoletti is listed.
TeamGreen wrote:
Huh. Where's everyone-else? Should have a Hill on a Fo'Fiddy...funny...might have -2- Hills in the 450s!
Peters and Decotis injured I believe?
bayodome
Fantasy
4305th
5/17/2018 6:22am
Looks pretty weak to me. Reminds me of 2008. There were only a handful of factory riders in the 450s. Unlike '08, though, there are at least four guys that could win motos, maybe five, so that will make it a little more interesting. Still not much depth in what is supposed to be the premier class.

Meanwhile there are about 17 factory supported riders in the 250s. It's so backwards. At least four of the top 250 guys should already be in the 450 class (or premier class using a displacement of their choosing).

MXGPs are not perfect either, but their under-23 age limit for the 250s really helps bolster both funds and talent allocated to the 450s. The AMA Nationals need a similar rule to even out the talent pool to ensure it's The Best vs. The Best instead of The Best vs. The Rest.
dsmith
Fantasy
1470th
5/17/2018 6:24am
theres no Barcia or seely on the list..... and I know barcias gonna be there...
pbody
Fantasy
320th
5/17/2018 6:28am
dsmith wrote:
theres no Barcia or seely on the list..... and I know barcias gonna be there...
Good point on Barcia.
Seely is definitely out for a while.
RandyS
5/17/2018 7:46am
Only 29 of the top 98 national numbers signed up, that's got to be some kind of a record.
GangGreen
5/17/2018 11:45am
REALLY RIDICULOUS.......... 45 guys trying to qualify in the 450cc Class? There used to be 100 riders in each class !!!

One of the guys in charge made a narrow minded comment, “We’re going to race the bikes the manufacturers make”. That’s ridiculous, the reason 250/450cc four-strokes came into existence was an ill-though AMA “Double-Displacement Rule”.

It would not cost as much to race if simply racing a 125cc or 250cc two--stroke and traveling in a box van. Having a 250 four-stroke, making it competitive, and keeping it competitive, is an unrealistic expense to those very talented local Pros who's goal used to be making an AMA Pro Main Event and earning points.
lumpy790
5/17/2018 2:26pm
MXerDW wrote:
Nicoletti is listed.
TeamGreen wrote:
crusty_xx wrote:
Peters and Decotis injured I believe?
Peters had knee surgery this week
bowser977
5/17/2018 4:02pm
GangGreen wrote:
[b]REALLY RIDICULOUS.......... 45 guys trying to qualify in the 450cc Class? [/b] There used to be 100 riders in each class !!! One of the guys...
REALLY RIDICULOUS.......... 45 guys trying to qualify in the 450cc Class? There used to be 100 riders in each class !!!

One of the guys in charge made a narrow minded comment, “We’re going to race the bikes the manufacturers make”. That’s ridiculous, the reason 250/450cc four-strokes came into existence was an ill-though AMA “Double-Displacement Rule”.

It would not cost as much to race if simply racing a 125cc or 250cc two--stroke and traveling in a box van. Having a 250 four-stroke, making it competitive, and keeping it competitive, is an unrealistic expense to those very talented local Pros who's goal used to be making an AMA Pro Main Event and earning points.
125 & 250 series is gone, get over it.
mxracer239
5/17/2018 10:59pm
I wonder what the difference is money wise for the factory's to race the 4 stroke vs the 2 stroke?
5/17/2018 11:25pm
bowser977 wrote:
Logic would make that impossible. Cheaper, safer racing is better for filling the gates. Cooler sounds are better for filling the gates. Manic hyper-active style is better for filling the gates. Get over "faster is progress". Get over "advances" like fuel injection and having enough going on in your engine to the point where routine maintenance is a pain in the ass.

I get that innovation drives interest, but we've hit the point where new ideas are driving people away. How fucking stupid are we? This was a sport for everyone, once.
pbody
Fantasy
320th
5/18/2018 9:21am Edited Date/Time 5/18/2018 9:22am
Logic would make that impossible. Cheaper, safer racing is better for filling the gates. Cooler sounds are better for filling the gates. Manic hyper-active style is...
Logic would make that impossible. Cheaper, safer racing is better for filling the gates. Cooler sounds are better for filling the gates. Manic hyper-active style is better for filling the gates. Get over "faster is progress". Get over "advances" like fuel injection and having enough going on in your engine to the point where routine maintenance is a pain in the ass.

I get that innovation drives interest, but we've hit the point where new ideas are driving people away. How fucking stupid are we? This was a sport for everyone, once.
Love the last bit of your post...

In today's world of constant innovation, I spend too much time updating and changing. I'd rather use that time enjoying the things I love to do. Or in a work setting, being productive at work.

I get it that some significant benefits in our world come from innovation, but I also realize that some things can be simply left as-is so they can be enjoyed by more people or more often.

Rant over....enjoy the weekend all!
#longlivemotocross
Husky807
5/18/2018 9:29am
Really hope Jake Masterpool has a decent showing
Mr. Info
5/18/2018 12:35pm
Yeah it’s a shame more guys won’t come out and give it a shot. Hoping for a few more than 48 at Glensdyland
bsharkey
5/18/2018 1:01pm
GangGreen wrote:
[b]REALLY RIDICULOUS.......... 45 guys trying to qualify in the 450cc Class? [/b] There used to be 100 riders in each class !!! One of the guys...

No money $$$ its that simple. The only Pros that race are either the new guys that are just coming up or the premier guys making the big money because all the seasoned pros know there's no money to win and it cost a ton of money to travel so unless somebody's footing your bill will guys opt out
H4L
5/18/2018 1:11pm
GangGreen wrote:

bsharkey wrote:
No money $$$ its that simple. The only Pros that race are either the new guys that are just coming up or the premier guys making...
No money $$$ its that simple. The only Pros that race are either the new guys that are just coming up or the premier guys making the big money because all the seasoned pros know there's no money to win and it cost a ton of money to travel so unless somebody's footing your bill will guys opt out
I started a thread recently about the future of our sport & have seen the changes of MX through 4 + decades. Most responses were smart ass comments. As I stated in the thread time will tell where it will be 10 yrs. from now..
deluxeman
5/18/2018 2:23pm
Logic would make that impossible. Cheaper, safer racing is better for filling the gates. Cooler sounds are better for filling the gates. Manic hyper-active style is...

Well, I have to say that I agree with the cost aspect of your post. It is much cheaper to maintain a 2 stroke than a 4 stroke.

The rest of the post I would have to disagree with. The factories only race for two reasons, to sell bikes, and to drive innovation/improvement. With your logic we would still be riding Hodaka's, because they were cheap, safe, slow and noisy. Faster is progress, look at suspension technology, do you want to give up modern suspension because it makes you faster? How about power valves? or new tires, or disc brakes...........There is no way to stop innovation when men want to go faster and win races. And for the most part we all benefit from racing.

Fuel injection has been around since WWII, so it's only a new technology in dirt biking. DOHC 4 stroke engines have been around since the 1920's or before, again not new technology, just newish to dirt bikes. Racing has always driven innovation and experimentation, that is how you get better bikes to ride every year. Dirt bikes in general have been on the back side of technology since the beginning, it's only in the last few years that they have made big improvements in electronics and engine management.

I am not sure the sound of a two stroke sells more tickets than the sound of a 4 stroke. How can you even measure that? How many more races would you attend if they switched back to all two strokes?
Excaliburbmx
5/18/2018 7:10pm
GangGreen wrote:

bowser977 wrote:
Wait a minute fucker I am waiting on jofas to make a comeback.
ktmdan
5/18/2018 8:05pm

deluxeman wrote:
Well, I have to say that I agree with the cost aspect of your post. It is much cheaper to maintain a 2 stroke than a...
Well, I have to say that I agree with the cost aspect of your post. It is much cheaper to maintain a 2 stroke than a 4 stroke.

The rest of the post I would have to disagree with. The factories only race for two reasons, to sell bikes, and to drive innovation/improvement. With your logic we would still be riding Hodaka's, because they were cheap, safe, slow and noisy. Faster is progress, look at suspension technology, do you want to give up modern suspension because it makes you faster? How about power valves? or new tires, or disc brakes...........There is no way to stop innovation when men want to go faster and win races. And for the most part we all benefit from racing.

Fuel injection has been around since WWII, so it's only a new technology in dirt biking. DOHC 4 stroke engines have been around since the 1920's or before, again not new technology, just newish to dirt bikes. Racing has always driven innovation and experimentation, that is how you get better bikes to ride every year. Dirt bikes in general have been on the back side of technology since the beginning, it's only in the last few years that they have made big improvements in electronics and engine management.

I am not sure the sound of a two stroke sells more tickets than the sound of a 4 stroke. How can you even measure that? How many more races would you attend if they switched back to all two strokes?
I think Red Bull Straight Rythm answered the question in your last paragraph.
GuyB
Fantasy
1215th
5/18/2018 9:37pm Edited Date/Time 5/18/2018 9:38pm
GangGreen wrote:

I just looked at the entry list. The current number is 56.

http://www.americanmotocrossresults.com/xml/mx/events/M1805/M1ENTRYLIST…

Post a reply to: Hangtown 450 Entry List

The Latest