Hanging up the boots, and still getting hurt

moscrop940
Edited Date/Time 6/9/2019 3:57am
Morning guys,

Right how it’s 3:00 AM CA time. I’m laying in the hospital after shatttering my Tib/Fib while playing softball a few hours back.

I got pretty lucky, the bones snapped just above my existing hardware from my ankle fusion surgery, so for going bad it went pretty well.

Anyways, I have just been sitting in the bed waiting for tomorrow’s surgery, and I can’t help but to think how ironic this situation is.

Roughly 2 years ago I had a crash that made me “see god”, and I decided to hang up the boots for the foreseeable future. It was time for me to minimize risk while raising my family.

To keep some form of competition alive in my life, I started playing softball once a week. Nothing comes close to the Moto feeling, but it does the job of getting the blood flowing, and is safer (or at least it was 😂)

I was just curious if anyone chose to hang up the boots and ended up getting bitten for their new “safer” activity...

Random I know, but I just wanted to see if I’am a lone wolf or if this has happened to any of y’all.

-Moscrop

|
6/7/2019 3:27am
Broke my elbow and a couple ribs 3 weeks ago riding a bicycle. I was set on not doing much moto this year but got the urge to ride the day before. I guess I won’t be riding mx much after all.
pkiczuk
6/7/2019 3:30am
I don't technically have the experience of "hanging up the boots", but just wanted to comment and say good luck with the surgery and heal up quick man!
moscrop940
6/7/2019 3:37am
Sheriff245 wrote:
Broke my elbow and a couple ribs 3 weeks ago riding a bicycle. I was set on not doing much moto this year but got the...
Broke my elbow and a couple ribs 3 weeks ago riding a bicycle. I was set on not doing much moto this year but got the urge to ride the day before. I guess I won’t be riding mx much after all.
Sorry to hear it man! Ribs are no joke!!!
moscrop940
6/7/2019 3:44am
pkiczuk wrote:
I don't technically have the experience of "hanging up the boots", but just wanted to comment and say good luck with the surgery and heal up...
I don't technically have the experience of "hanging up the boots", but just wanted to comment and say good luck with the surgery and heal up quick man!
I appreciate that sir! I’m hoping they are just able to plate it and I can be home by the weekend....considering the amount of hardware in my leg this could have been really bad had it bent the rod

The Shop

Dirtydeeds
Fantasy
2888th
6/7/2019 4:00am
Ha! Im in the same boat. Quit ridin a couple years back. Cant afford another injury with 3 kids under 6 and being self employed. Currently on my 3rd mri to figure out just how bad my neck and shoulder are. Have no clue how this injury happened but it sucks. Hoping the cortisone keeps it at bay until I win the lottery! Heal up bud, you're not alone.
NewOldSchool
6/7/2019 4:38am
Dirtydeeds wrote:
Ha! Im in the same boat. Quit ridin a couple years back. Cant afford another injury with 3 kids under 6 and being self employed. Currently...
Ha! Im in the same boat. Quit ridin a couple years back. Cant afford another injury with 3 kids under 6 and being self employed. Currently on my 3rd mri to figure out just how bad my neck and shoulder are. Have no clue how this injury happened but it sucks. Hoping the cortisone keeps it at bay until I win the lottery! Heal up bud, you're not alone.
I know the feeling, I injured my neck two and half years ago sledding with my daughter. It’s been one of the most nagging painful injuries to recoup from. It also flares up to the point where I can’t move my neck and any movement shoots a sharp pain down my neck to my shoulders and back.

Good luck trying to get yours right. I never realized how much we use our necks until I injured mine.
kb228
6/7/2019 4:39am
“Hanging up the boots” after injury never made sense to me. You can get hurt doing anything. I buckled my knee sideways getting into a tall pickup one time and couldnt walk for 2 weeks.

Risk of injury is always prevalent. Do what you want to do and try to not think about injury. When its your time to get injured youll get injured. You could be dicing a green pepper for dinner and slice your thumb almost off.
ga_pike
6/7/2019 4:44am
Back in high school, I broke my collarbone in a crash. It caused me to miss spring football practice and coach was not happy. He basically said I had to stay off the bikes or I was off the team. With college scholarship opportunities for football, I decided to stay off the bike (for the most part). I broke my foot running stadium steps in an off-season workout and then my thumb making a tackle during a game.
Mx286
6/7/2019 4:45am
I had a couple years where I was away from racing competitive. I decided I was going to do Loretta’s again since I finally was able to race +25. Everyone kept asking me what happens if you get hurt?

I’m a delivery driver for UPS. One snowy day I’m walking down a drive way, slip and break my ankle in 3 spots. Worst injury I’ve ever had and haven’t fully gained all mobility back but close. But it was good it happened at work and I was taking care with workers comp. Just thought it was funny everyone was telling me not to race because of injury and that happened.
Rotaholic
6/7/2019 5:35am
I came from a family of gifted sportsman, all my cousins and myself were really good at what ever we did. I took a shine to extreme sports so was the black sheep/outcast. They all played basketball, tennis, rugby, you name it etc etc. Anyways every week they had a new injury always something torn or broken (oh you poor thing, you will back on the pitch in no time) , I never got injured always kept it safe. Anyways the first time I broke a bone riding mx my family pretty much had an intervention of how I was ruining my life. Still to this day I've only broken one bone on a dirt bike and it was a silly mistake.
Do what ever makes you happy and never worry about what people think, most people will have worst injuries getting in and out of the shower!
mxer15
6/7/2019 6:02am
Wow this subject hits home "hung up the boots" 3 years ago and it's been hell ever since. First I got knee replacement and was put on strong anti inflammatory drugs which lead me to have a stroke. Took a year to recover from from that , but during a routine blood test a doctor didn't like what he saw. Anyway that lead to all kinds of other tests over a year including a veryyy painful blood marrow test, which you have to wait 2 weeks to find out if you have cancer. Well found out I have a rare type of kidney disease that scares the hell out of me.well in trying to get a somewhat normal life back I developed 2 very large growths on my side, so here I lay post surgery with 2 big holes in my side and a "drain" inserted in me then sown over to keep it inside me aaaahhhh. Rode 25 years yea had a few injuries but was always in shape and strong. Now I lay in bed weak and depressed wishing I had never stopped
bvm111
6/7/2019 6:21am
I listened to everyone important to me in 2001 after my right scaphoid break and near non union after surgery. 2010 I was on my last deployment to AFG and after a particularly rough mission that was supposed to be an easy out and back from base that turned into a double complex ambush 18 hour event. I was lucky that none of my soldiers were injured and we all returned to base! Most of my guys knew I was a Moto freak and when I was sitting at my desk Later that day I looked up and said... I’m getting a new MX bike when we get back from this shit hole country because I decided that Moto wasn’t that dangerous after all! WinkTongue
Csb146
6/7/2019 6:30am
Sorry to hear that man. One very interesting thing I've learned and seen over the pat few years is, I have WAY more friends that have been injured playing in those adult sports leagues then moto. Not exaggerating in the past 3 years I have 3 close friends who have all done acl's playing adult indoor soccer, 1 tore a bicep tended, and another broke ankle. So it just goes to show sometimes the "safe" sports aren't that safe. heal up soon.
6/7/2019 6:50am
Csb146 wrote:
Sorry to hear that man. One very interesting thing I've learned and seen over the pat few years is, I have WAY more friends that have...
Sorry to hear that man. One very interesting thing I've learned and seen over the pat few years is, I have WAY more friends that have been injured playing in those adult sports leagues then moto. Not exaggerating in the past 3 years I have 3 close friends who have all done acl's playing adult indoor soccer, 1 tore a bicep tended, and another broke ankle. So it just goes to show sometimes the "safe" sports aren't that safe. heal up soon.
I don't think anybody thinks soccer (especially on turf) is "safe" with regard to knee/ankle injuries.
Csb146
6/7/2019 6:52am
I don't think anybody thinks soccer (especially on turf) is "safe" with regard to knee/ankle injuries.
True, but in comparison to moto the majority of people would say it's much safer.
swtwtwtw
6/7/2019 7:04am
Fact: if one is an athlete they will get hurt/injured.

Only quit moto if you’re bored with it
Sweetd31
6/7/2019 7:13am
Gave up Moro for high school football, concussions continued. Hopped back on a back last year, concussions. I just play guitar now
brocster
6/7/2019 7:18am
Yep been told many times over that “I am crazy” to ride again after being injured however in my work group there have been more people out on disability from “other things”, can’t just say sports, than the people that ride dirt bikes. Is it dangerous and a risk for injury, yes but so is just about everything. Pick your poison, do what you do the safest way possible and enjoy your life. No do overs in the game of life
jeffro503
6/7/2019 8:06am
moscrop940 wrote:
Morning guys, Right how it’s 3:00 AM CA time. I’m laying in the hospital after shatttering my Tib/Fib while playing softball a few hours back. I...
Morning guys,

Right how it’s 3:00 AM CA time. I’m laying in the hospital after shatttering my Tib/Fib while playing softball a few hours back.

I got pretty lucky, the bones snapped just above my existing hardware from my ankle fusion surgery, so for going bad it went pretty well.

Anyways, I have just been sitting in the bed waiting for tomorrow’s surgery, and I can’t help but to think how ironic this situation is.

Roughly 2 years ago I had a crash that made me “see god”, and I decided to hang up the boots for the foreseeable future. It was time for me to minimize risk while raising my family.

To keep some form of competition alive in my life, I started playing softball once a week. Nothing comes close to the Moto feeling, but it does the job of getting the blood flowing, and is safer (or at least it was 😂)

I was just curious if anyone chose to hang up the boots and ended up getting bitten for their new “safer” activity...

Random I know, but I just wanted to see if I’am a lone wolf or if this has happened to any of y’all.

-Moscrop

Dang it man , I feel for you. It is a strange thing how this life can throw us some weird curve balls. I have " Hung up the boots " a couple times , and swore I'd never ride again. The last time I stepped away was for 6 years after a bad wreck left me in the hospital for a little over 3 weeks , but I'm glad I decided to try it again.

I will say this though.....that even though MX can beat me up every once in a while , overall I seem to stay healthier and more fit with it in my life. I have a tendency to stay in better shape , because it helps my riding. The riding itself helps me stay fit as well and those two thing's tend to go hand in hand.

Hell , I don't blame anyone for stepping away from this sport. Especially if it's because they have a family to support. It can give us some dark day's every now and then for sure. It truly comes down to risk vs reward.

That being said , I'm sorry to hear about your leg man. I'm sure that didn't feel good in the slightest. Good luck on the surgery and hope you get to feeling better.
dadofagun
Fantasy
1962nd
6/7/2019 8:16am
moscrop940 wrote:
Morning guys, Right how it’s 3:00 AM CA time. I’m laying in the hospital after shatttering my Tib/Fib while playing softball a few hours back. I...
Morning guys,

-Moscrop

Really sorry to hear about you getting hurt, hopefully you'll be hitting on all 8 real quick! I stepped away for the obvious reasons as you stated earlier, then ended up breaking three of my fingers playing drums......Fucking playing my drums. Always been a heavy hitter, and played my whole life, but it just happened. Felt like a real dumb shit looking at all my riding gear to keep me safe on a bike, but yet my drumkit in the living room injured me...... Life happens, hopefully you can look back at this and laugh one day like I did!
Falcon
Fantasy
798th
6/7/2019 8:21am
Haha, I'm laughing with you, not at you. How did you break 3 fingers on a drumset? 🤣 I can imagine one,but...
dadofagun
Fantasy
1962nd
6/7/2019 8:52am Edited Date/Time 6/7/2019 8:57am
Falcon wrote:
Haha, I'm laughing with you, not at you. How did you break 3 fingers on a drumset? 🤣 I can imagine one,but...
I went to hit my upright crash cymbal on my right side, and it's a 19" so it has some girth. My crashes lay pretty much flat, and instead of my stick striking it, my three small fingers hit the edge of the cymbal instead. And as usual, I was swinging over my head for leverage, so my hand traveled a bit picking up speed on the way. God I felt stupid...... might not have happened had I been watching what I was doing. But, you gotta laugh when you're the joke! I've had several laugh at myself moments in my life, kind of odd that they almost always are physically painful....
mattyhamz2
Fantasy
767th
6/7/2019 9:02am
Moscrop! Dude, sounds like it's time to get another bike WoohooTongue
burnside
6/7/2019 10:28am
Funny how life works like that.
Living life scared almost seems to have the same ramifications of riding scared...
Fortune favours the bold eh?
ga_pike
6/7/2019 10:29am
Sweetd31 wrote:
Gave up Moro for high school football, concussions continued. Hopped back on a back last year, concussions. I just play guitar now
Don't hurt yourself jumping off a riser. LOL
Freedom Mx
6/7/2019 10:39am
moscrop940 wrote:
Morning guys,

-Moscrop

Sorry about your leg. I will say only this, in 15’ diagnosed with cancer.Lucky to still be here, no one knows what tomorrow will hold, enjoy life,live life,yes family first, but any true motocrosser knows that it is medicine for the soul. Throttle Therapy is very real and a must i my life. Also yes when I get injured and at therapy, I ask every person why they are there. Most are elderly and tell me that they are just old,no Motocross just wear and tear from getting old.When I tell them I am there from riding, they ALL say they wish they could go back and do more, You will wind up there anyway. To each his own. Mx for life 🤘🏼
dadofagun
Fantasy
1962nd
6/7/2019 10:48am Edited Date/Time 6/7/2019 10:50am
Sweetd31 wrote:
ga_pike wrote:
Don't hurt yourself jumping off a riser. LOL
No shit! Playing music can be brutal...... Those pretty, expensive, melody makers can be dangerous weaponry. Don't be fooled by there innocent looks.. LOL
6/7/2019 3:01pm
bvm111 wrote:
I listened to everyone important to me in 2001 after my right scaphoid break and near non union after surgery. 2010 I was on my last...
I listened to everyone important to me in 2001 after my right scaphoid break and near non union after surgery. 2010 I was on my last deployment to AFG and after a particularly rough mission that was supposed to be an easy out and back from base that turned into a double complex ambush 18 hour event. I was lucky that none of my soldiers were injured and we all returned to base! Most of my guys knew I was a Moto freak and when I was sitting at my desk Later that day I looked up and said... I’m getting a new MX bike when we get back from this shit hole country because I decided that Moto wasn’t that dangerous after all! WinkTongue
Welcome home. I spent four years doing crazy shit after Vietnam. Got a dirt bike in 74 and started racing. Still going at 71. Listen to your heart. Sorry for anyone suffering an injury from any sport or activity. But don't wish you should have done it, just do it. Life comes at you fast.
wisey
Fantasy
1380th
6/7/2019 5:53pm Edited Date/Time 6/7/2019 11:23pm
Had my fair share with the Moto then started family, company and “hung it up”.After no Moto for 4 years I broke the right Tib/ fib surfing which needed plates and screws. Now it matches the left Tib / Fib I also did surfing 15 years earlier.

Got back to Moto and racing...

2 years later I’m 40 pounds lighter, no more depression and my back locks up way less.
Texas Built
6/7/2019 6:11pm Edited Date/Time 6/7/2019 6:12pm
I don't understand the "hanging up the boots". Theres no rule that says you have to hit the track and and do nothing but try to send it every time. You can just cruise and have fun, hit some trails, etc....

Post a reply to: Hanging up the boots, and still getting hurt

The Latest