Hanging up the boots...

usafwx
So been contemplating hanging up the boots, been struggling with it for a few reasons. First and foremost I'm starting grad school for my doctorate in Physical Therapy which will consume most of my free time outside work (active duty Air Force). 2nd though I love this crazy addiction of mine called motocross and its created new friendships, life lessons, etc., the cost is starting to really wear on my wallet and anyone that tries to argue otherwise is in denial this sport/hobby is expensive. Trying to set myself up for life outside the Air Force in the next 2 years and it seems like motocross isn't helping the financial plan, and yes I do a lot of it myself from top-ends to tires and all on a 2 stroke. Finally the injuries, I know its part of the sport and I know its also helped me realize my calling in life spending so much time in a PT office, lol, but every year has been some time off the bike/gym/etc. from some injury which gets frustrating but also takes a toll on your body short and long term. So thinking about selling the bike and taking a breather from it our beloved sport to focus on life goals, maybe take up MTB riding or something a bit more wallet friendly. Just so hard as motocross has really become a part of me and my identity, hard to let go even if its for a short time, but life I guess is about making sacrifices and life goals/dreams come with sacrifices and some hardships. Any advice, besides the obvious just keep the bike and spend, ride, etc
|
hvaughn88
8/21/2016 5:13pm
usafwx wrote:
So been contemplating hanging up the boots, been struggling with it for a few reasons. First and foremost I'm starting grad school for my doctorate in...
So been contemplating hanging up the boots, been struggling with it for a few reasons. First and foremost I'm starting grad school for my doctorate in Physical Therapy which will consume most of my free time outside work (active duty Air Force). 2nd though I love this crazy addiction of mine called motocross and its created new friendships, life lessons, etc., the cost is starting to really wear on my wallet and anyone that tries to argue otherwise is in denial this sport/hobby is expensive. Trying to set myself up for life outside the Air Force in the next 2 years and it seems like motocross isn't helping the financial plan, and yes I do a lot of it myself from top-ends to tires and all on a 2 stroke. Finally the injuries, I know its part of the sport and I know its also helped me realize my calling in life spending so much time in a PT office, lol, but every year has been some time off the bike/gym/etc. from some injury which gets frustrating but also takes a toll on your body short and long term. So thinking about selling the bike and taking a breather from it our beloved sport to focus on life goals, maybe take up MTB riding or something a bit more wallet friendly. Just so hard as motocross has really become a part of me and my identity, hard to let go even if its for a short time, but life I guess is about making sacrifices and life goals/dreams come with sacrifices and some hardships. Any advice, besides the obvious just keep the bike and spend, ride, etc
I sold my bike and started racing BMX. I'm loving every minute of it.
The Rock
8/21/2016 5:19pm Edited Date/Time 8/21/2016 5:31pm
Lots of possibillities but let's start off with the most important question regarding whether to continue or stop:

Do you lift bro?

I'm 60 and more days than not have pain somewhere in my body every morning. Honestly though I wouldn't use a magic wand to take relieve all my pain if it erased my MX memories.

Maybe some of us are descendants of the Roman Gladiators and this is our fate in life. Could be worse. We could be like normal people who think we're crazy.

BTW if I had a nickel for every time I said I was done I'd have at least fifty cents. Most of us don't quit we just just take a break to freshen up.

Good luck with your decision.
usafwx
8/21/2016 5:19pm
hvaughn88 wrote:
I saw that on the olympics and looks like a lot of fun, there's a few track/parks here nearby.
bvm111
8/21/2016 5:25pm
Just don't get bitten by the downhill bug.... If you think MX is expensive wait until you have 9000 dollars in bikes sitting in your office that you can't do anything with!

The Shop

The Rock
8/21/2016 5:27pm
hvaughn88 wrote:
Whew! For a moment I thought you were going to say you'd sold your bike and bought a quad.

Standard quad diss aside man those guys spend $$$$ on their rides. Great group of racers too that don't expect everything for free either in my experience from 2008 to 2010 doing track support in SoCal.

On the BMX decision I think some guy that used to race SX and won a race to two used to race BMX.
PEPE001
8/21/2016 5:42pm
Stopped racing and riding when i turned 30.

20 years later i started riding it again. Wink
Guess what i love it.

Dont need the crazy jumps anymore but other than that i have a blast everytime i am on a bike.
FWYT
8/21/2016 5:44pm
Focus on school, you can always get another bike in a few years.

And look, you DO NOT have to just fucking rip the throttle open all the gawddamn time.
You CAN have a ton of fun just trail riding, ya know? The best thing about getting older is
getting a little more wise which means learning how to ride within your limits.
Throttle back, have fun, ride again tomorrow.
Graybeard
Fantasy
2206th
8/21/2016 5:49pm
WX, if you don't mind a little old guy wisdom (34 years with the AF, 20 yrs active, another 14 as a contractor) I know what you're thinking, 'cause I was there over 20 years ago. Don't think of it as "hanging up your boots," you're simply taking a break between motos in life, I did the same thing through my college days--focus on your ed, then get back on the track in a few years when it makes sense to you. It's never over, you love it--you'll be back. Heck, I set a goal to race the over 30 class, then the over 40, then the over 50, now the 55+ class. You'll learn to ride/race within yourself a lot more and still have one heck of a time. And you'll feel great about it, because racing gets you back in the gym, back in shape, and actually makes you HEALTHIER when you get past the big four-O!
FWYT
8/21/2016 5:52pm
Graybeard wrote:
WX, if you don't mind a little old guy wisdom (34 years with the AF, 20 yrs active, another 14 as a contractor) I know what...
WX, if you don't mind a little old guy wisdom (34 years with the AF, 20 yrs active, another 14 as a contractor) I know what you're thinking, 'cause I was there over 20 years ago. Don't think of it as "hanging up your boots," you're simply taking a break between motos in life, I did the same thing through my college days--focus on your ed, then get back on the track in a few years when it makes sense to you. It's never over, you love it--you'll be back. Heck, I set a goal to race the over 30 class, then the over 40, then the over 50, now the 55+ class. You'll learn to ride/race within yourself a lot more and still have one heck of a time. And you'll feel great about it, because racing gets you back in the gym, back in shape, and actually makes you HEALTHIER when you get past the big four-O!
^^^^This man speaks the truth!
hvaughn88
8/21/2016 5:52pm
usafwx and graybeard, I appreciate your service. It's guys like y'all that afford everyone else the freedom to do what we do
Brad460
Fantasy
736th
8/21/2016 6:29pm
OP-You're way over thinking this whole thing...take a couple-few years off and come back when your ready. Multiple times during my 25+ years of racing I took a year off here..couple years off there...only have 2 hours on my new 450 this year...sometimes life gets busy...

I personally don't think the sport is that expensive and injuries can happen anytime anywhere doing anything.....hell my buddy tore his ACL playing kickball (embarrassing)! Some of the hardest crashes I've had over the past few years were on my damn mountain bike! Laughing

kzizok
Fantasy
2068th
8/21/2016 6:39pm
All great info. The one thing that helped me was someone making me realize my potential decision in context. We tend to think of these situions in finite terms. But the truth is, no matter your decision, it doesnt mean it is forever. You obviously have a gut feeling. Do what is right for you now, and as life moves forward, you will probably find yourself in a position to ride again.
usafwx
8/21/2016 6:42pm
Brad460 wrote:
OP-You're way over thinking this whole thing...take a couple-few years off and come back when your ready. Multiple times during my 25+ years of racing I...
OP-You're way over thinking this whole thing...take a couple-few years off and come back when your ready. Multiple times during my 25+ years of racing I took a year off here..couple years off there...only have 2 hours on my new 450 this year...sometimes life gets busy...

I personally don't think the sport is that expensive and injuries can happen anytime anywhere doing anything.....hell my buddy tore his ACL playing kickball (embarrassing)! Some of the hardest crashes I've had over the past few years were on my damn mountain bike! Laughing

I agree. If you live somewhere where its illegal to ride except on a track at $40 a day, 4 times a month is $160, add in maintenance, gas, etc. It quickly adds up.
usafwx
8/21/2016 6:43pm
hvaughn88 wrote:
usafwx and graybeard, I appreciate your service. It's guys like y'all that afford everyone else the freedom to do what we do
My privilege man. Its allowed me to discover MX, pay for 2 degrees and become a better person, not the same AF as before, so gonna bow out now while I still have some of my soul left.
usafwx
8/21/2016 6:46pm Edited Date/Time 8/21/2016 6:47pm
Graybeard wrote:
WX, if you don't mind a little old guy wisdom (34 years with the AF, 20 yrs active, another 14 as a contractor) I know what...
Agreed, just really hard to give up, but like everything gotta make some sacrifices at times, for me I'm ready to be done with big blue and onto my dreams of being a DPT, gotta get finances in order and a long mountain of grad school. My mom always says this, when my dad bought my dream truck (raptor), my sister bought a house (still don't have one), my real dad bought my dream mx bike even though he dosent ride, someday you will have all those things, just have to put your nose down and push forward through the tough stuff first. Being active duty and just who I am as a person I think I'll always be healthy, MX was my foray into sports related injuries though, lucked out as a kid, lol.
usafwx
8/21/2016 6:48pm
FWYT wrote:
Focus on school, you can always get another bike in a few years. And look, you DO NOT have to just fucking rip the throttle open...
Focus on school, you can always get another bike in a few years.

And look, you DO NOT have to just fucking rip the throttle open all the gawddamn time.
You CAN have a ton of fun just trail riding, ya know? The best thing about getting older is
getting a little more wise which means learning how to ride within your limits.
Throttle back, have fun, ride again tomorrow.
No legal trails here, just tracks but agree, I only race for fun every once and awhile, more of a weekend warrior.
hillbilly
8/21/2016 6:48pm
Mountain biking will get you killed.

I'd rather toss it down a track in front of 39 wild eyed riders and have a ambulance nearby than moto on a bicycle down some pointy limbed handlebar width trail 30 miles from civilian.
usafwx
8/21/2016 6:49pm
hillbilly wrote:
Mountain biking will get you killed. I'd rather toss it down a track in front of 39 wild eyed riders and have a ambulance nearby than...
Mountain biking will get you killed.

I'd rather toss it down a track in front of 39 wild eyed riders and have a ambulance nearby than moto on a bicycle down some pointy limbed handlebar width trail 30 miles from civilian.
All good points.
usafwx
8/21/2016 6:50pm
bvm111 wrote:
Just don't get bitten by the downhill bug.... If you think MX is expensive wait until you have 9000 dollars in bikes sitting in your office...
Just don't get bitten by the downhill bug.... If you think MX is expensive wait until you have 9000 dollars in bikes sitting in your office that you can't do anything with!

Lol, I've heard this.
Graybeard
Fantasy
2206th
8/21/2016 6:51pm
usafwx wrote:
My privilege man. Its allowed me to discover MX, pay for 2 degrees and become a better person, not the same AF as before, so gonna...
My privilege man. Its allowed me to discover MX, pay for 2 degrees and become a better person, not the same AF as before, so gonna bow out now while I still have some of my soul left.
LMFAO-Was the CE Program Manager for building the new Basic Training Complex at Lackland and felt the same thing every day I went through the gates-what the hell are they doing to the Air Force? But if you can stick it out until retirement, you won't regret that part!

Try to get stationed at Vandenberg AFB (we had four different MX tracks on base) or Edwards AFB (another nice track on base) if you can! Ride after work every day for free!!!!!!!
kkawboy14
8/21/2016 6:54pm Edited Date/Time 8/21/2016 6:55pm
Been riding for 35 years I don't plan on quiting anytime soon
usafwx
8/21/2016 6:56pm
Graybeard wrote:
LMFAO-Was the CE Program Manager for building the new Basic Training Complex at Lackland and felt the same thing every day I went through the gates-what...
LMFAO-Was the CE Program Manager for building the new Basic Training Complex at Lackland and felt the same thing every day I went through the gates-what the hell are they doing to the Air Force? But if you can stick it out until retirement, you won't regret that part!

Try to get stationed at Vandenberg AFB (we had four different MX tracks on base) or Edwards AFB (another nice track on base) if you can! Ride after work every day for free!!!!!!!
Tried a few BOPs, all denied, unless I volunteer for overseas short tour I'll finish my time up in the armpit of america since I only have 2.5 years left on my contract. Plus despite being at 10 years by that point, I'm done with the politics, new Enlisted Evaluation System, the everyone only caring about themselves, lack of job satisfaction, etc. etc. I used to be the shiny penny in the shop, pretty jaded and tarnished these days, but thats okay, life is too short to work somewhere doing something you hate everyday. I did see Edwards has its own track though kinda kiddish, I don't think Vandenberg does anymore but Zaca is close by. Thanks for your service, should have gone CE, my favorite buds while deployed were red horse guys. I'm just a nonner weather guy.
Graybeard
Fantasy
2206th
8/21/2016 7:07pm
Any chance of getting your commission? That's what I did--best decision ever, as the pay is a hell of a lot better, you won't believe how much better you're treated (there are politics I could throw a few beers back and tell you about sometime), but if you do it right, it's a fairly good ride. Unfortunately, what I hate is that there are no more mentors out there--that guy that looks out for you and steers you straight just because he gives a shit. I got lucky and had one, paid it back (forward?) to some of the guys that worked for me, saw them pay it back.....where did that go!
8/21/2016 7:14pm
If I were you Id take a break, keep the bike unless you really need the money. Keep it in the corner so that when you get the itch/time again it is there. Id keep your gear too so that you dont have to start from scratch when you want to start again. Thank you for your service.
usafwx
8/21/2016 7:49pm
Graybeard wrote:
Any chance of getting your commission? That's what I did--best decision ever, as the pay is a hell of a lot better, you won't believe how...
Any chance of getting your commission? That's what I did--best decision ever, as the pay is a hell of a lot better, you won't believe how much better you're treated (there are politics I could throw a few beers back and tell you about sometime), but if you do it right, it's a fairly good ride. Unfortunately, what I hate is that there are no more mentors out there--that guy that looks out for you and steers you straight just because he gives a shit. I got lucky and had one, paid it back (forward?) to some of the guys that worked for me, saw them pay it back.....where did that go!
Thought about it, took my AFOQT, had my package ready to go, missed the math section by 2 points. Then a lot of other BS since then, heart just isn't in it, nor would I be okay convincing other's of the same being an officer.
FastGzus
8/21/2016 9:15pm
Honestly Inhung up the boots seriously awhile ago. Play rides occasionally is all I partake in. Imo the risks I take became not worth it especially when I think of what damage a mistake could cause for my wife and children
robkinuk
8/21/2016 10:58pm
We have a saying here in England
"Your never too old to race Motocross, you only get old once you stop!"
Plenty of time and years left to get back into mx, I did Downhill MTB for many years winning Vet titles and even getting to manage National DH team to a clean sweep of 2000 European championships in Vars France with Steve Peat and Tracey Moseley.
Crush
8/21/2016 11:08pm
Taking a break is a good thing... don't have to sell up, just put it in storage a while, especially if it's a two stroke and likely not a latest four stroke with ongoing financial payment...

And as some others have said, you don't have to try go faster every lap... just riding in the woods with your buds can bring a smile also.

Plus you think you have commitments now, wait till you have kids!
lostboy819
Fantasy
1342nd
8/21/2016 11:21pm
usafwx wrote:
So been contemplating hanging up the boots, been struggling with it for a few reasons. First and foremost I'm starting grad school for my doctorate in...
You can try to lie to yourself but If you say you are quitting I dont believe you, I look at it as you are just taking a break because we really never quit. Now you may want to race/ride again and you can do it at a much lower level that does not consume all your $$ money and your time but as long as you still have a gear bag stashed away with all your riding gear at some point down the road you will put it back on again because the devil will always be whispering in your ear.
CoolWinkEvil

Post a reply to: Hanging up the boots...

The Latest