Hanging up my boots

JW381
Edited Date/Time 1/25/2012 10:37pm
Not gonna be in the saddle for a while. Bike's for sale, and might be gone today or tomorrow. Just reaching an age where I need to grow up a little bit. I'm not terrible on a bike, but I'm not "fast" by any means. Motocross is definitely a life consuming sport, and I loved every second of it when it was working, but it's just not in the cards right now as far as finances, health insurance etc. goes.

Not that anyone really cares, just thinking out loud, and maybe hoping for a little bit of insight from guys who have been there. I'll get back into riding in some form or another someday.
|
Rasmus99
9/27/2010 12:36pm
You cant quit Motocross.... Just wait 1 year or 2
Kurt
9/27/2010 12:37pm
You'll be back, in one form of another. I'm 50+ now and just adventure ride in the southern Nevada desert. Always a blast!
Ya' don't alway's have to be rippin.'
9/27/2010 12:40pm
Kurt wrote:
You'll be back, in one form of another. I'm 50+ now and just adventure ride in the southern Nevada desert. Always a blast! Ya' don't alway's...
You'll be back, in one form of another. I'm 50+ now and just adventure ride in the southern Nevada desert. Always a blast!
exactly just take it down a notch...
Cygnus
Just come on out and tell your parents you bought a quad!

The Shop

seth505
Fantasy
1092nd
Ya don't let it eat away at you man...I had to quit when I went to college which I was depressed about for several years...now I'm back on a yz250 and having as much fun as I ever had on a bike before then.
BKoonts
9/27/2010 12:41pm
Kurt wrote:
You'll be back, in one form of another. I'm 50+ now and just adventure ride in the southern Nevada desert. Always a blast! Ya' don't alway's...
Confirmed Kurt. You'll be back on a bike in one fashion or another. Hell, trail riding is better than no riding. Good luck to you in the meantime. I am currently off of the bike as well but I know that once my financial situation hits a brighter note I'll be back. Motocrossers never REALLY quit. We just go on hiatus...
Huckster
9/27/2010 12:45pm
I am going through the same thing. Turning 44 in about a month and just had ACL reconstrution surgery. Its in your blood as the others have said. Just take some time off, go trail riding or do something different. I spent 3+hrs yesterday watching my kids ride at our track with some friends. I put my bike in my basement and stare at it when I am spinning to rehab my knee. Nothing makes you want to do something more than not being able to do it. One bit of advice is if you can afford it, dont sell anything, because its not a matter of if but when as far as coming back....
Rudeboy119
9/27/2010 12:48pm
I was there in 06'
I now ride recreationaly and have no dillusions of racing again. Im a Husband, a Father, and a proivider. I used to be a pretty fast B rider but that was then and this is now. When I return from one of my few rides a year you cant surgically remove the smile off of my face for a day or 2. Its moto man!
72kiteboarder
9/27/2010 12:49pm
When I sold my bike after breaking my back, I was told to simply state that: "I am between bikes right now."
drmarkr
9/27/2010 12:50pm
Rasmus99 wrote:
You cant quit Motocross.... Just wait 1 year or 2
or 25....
peelout719
9/27/2010 12:51pm
done it a few times but always come back. i'm gonna sell my 450 and get a new 250 two stroke and go back to the roots of having fun. not racing.

JW381
9/27/2010 12:55pm
Exactly. I know there's no way I can quit. It's in my blood and it's something I've been into for way too many years now. I'll be back on 2 wheels when the time is right.

I'm sure I'll still waste a bunch of my employers time on here as well Grinning
seth505
Fantasy
1092nd
9/27/2010 12:57pm
peelout719 wrote:
done it a few times but always come back. i'm gonna sell my 450 and get a new 250 two stroke and go back to the...
done it a few times but always come back. i'm gonna sell my 450 and get a new 250 two stroke and go back to the roots of having fun. not racing.

why not do both Smile
jenericn951
9/27/2010 4:02pm Edited Date/Time 9/27/2010 4:04pm
IMHO its going to be hard. i'm not a bad rider at all,its the risk's that make it difficult decision. i'm the sole provider for my family and 46. wife has a job but just part time and we have three kids. all of them ride. in 2003 i broke my tibia right above the ankle and was out of work for 4 months(at a track). took my time getting back on the bike. started riding in th desert again slow at first. then went back to the tracks.not racing just riding.

on july 31st(this year) broke my tibia in two place's half way down. went off jump a double,came off the bike and landed on my feet breaking one leg. wear everything possible,leatt,tech 10's,knee brace's etc.now i'm been out since then and next doctors visit is Oct,25th. like i sad at the top, its the risk of falling off or at speed. i always wanted to ride to the best of my abilities. i have good insurance but still going to cost out of pocket. looking back i should have just chilled at the desert and had a good time with the kids.

i dont regret anything i've done on my bike, only regret is being on crutches with my 20 anniversary around the corner and not being able to take her on a nice vacation. just my opinion.
Ing
9/27/2010 4:07pm
IMHO its going to be hard. i'm not a bad rider at all,its the risk's that make it difficult decision. i'm the sole provider for my...
IMHO its going to be hard. i'm not a bad rider at all,its the risk's that make it difficult decision. i'm the sole provider for my family and 46. wife has a job but just part time and we have three kids. all of them ride. in 2003 i broke my tibia right above the ankle and was out of work for 4 months(at a track). took my time getting back on the bike. started riding in th desert again slow at first. then went back to the tracks.not racing just riding.

on july 31st(this year) broke my tibia in two place's half way down. went off jump a double,came off the bike and landed on my feet breaking one leg. wear everything possible,leatt,tech 10's,knee brace's etc.now i'm been out since then and next doctors visit is Oct,25th. like i sad at the top, its the risk of falling off or at speed. i always wanted to ride to the best of my abilities. i have good insurance but still going to cost out of pocket. looking back i should have just chilled at the desert and had a good time with the kids.

i dont regret anything i've done on my bike, only regret is being on crutches with my 20 anniversary around the corner and not being able to take her on a nice vacation. just my opinion.
You can still vacation on crutches. DAMHIK. Go, have fun.
mxbigd17
9/27/2010 4:11pm
get a girlfriend, then let her break your heart an she will. then you will be back on a bike soon enough. Babes are temporary, just dont marry them, bikes are forever. my bike never took half my shit, therefor, she must love me.
9/27/2010 4:14pm
This is just my opinion but I can understand about quiting due to health problems but what you might do is help a up coming racer (turn wrenches) or assist at your local track.
fencepost
9/27/2010 4:14pm
mxbigd17 wrote:
get a girlfriend, then let her break your heart an she will. then you will be back on a bike soon enough. Babes are temporary, just...
get a girlfriend, then let her break your heart an she will. then you will be back on a bike soon enough. Babes are temporary, just dont marry them, bikes are forever. my bike never took half my shit, therefor, she must love me.
Wow. Thanks man, now im depressed.
Void Main
9/27/2010 4:24pm
Just buy a damn street bike already. I bought one and I'm about ready to sell my YZ. It's too damn easy to pull it out of the garage, ride it, put it back in the garage and not have to wash it, change the tires, brakes, oil, piston, etc. etc. Don't get me wrong, I still ride the dirt bike but I pick and choose the best days to do that now.
zippy895
9/27/2010 4:25pm
JW381 wrote:
Not gonna be in the saddle for a while. Bike's for sale, and might be gone today or tomorrow. Just reaching an age where I need...
Not gonna be in the saddle for a while. Bike's for sale, and might be gone today or tomorrow. Just reaching an age where I need to grow up a little bit. I'm not terrible on a bike, but I'm not "fast" by any means. Motocross is definitely a life consuming sport, and I loved every second of it when it was working, but it's just not in the cards right now as far as finances, health insurance etc. goes.

Not that anyone really cares, just thinking out loud, and maybe hoping for a little bit of insight from guys who have been there. I'll get back into riding in some form or another someday.
welcome to the world of bench racing my friend.although, you still have to go thru a few more stages to kick ur addiction but being able to control the addiction.you will say u quit-sell bike and gear and trailer,etc., then maybe next yr., u will buy a used bike more gear,etc..ride to the point of ability of the the day u quit,get hurt,maybe not serious but injure yourself a bit, spend more money you dont have,sell everything all over again,wait another year,ride a buddies bike,bla bla BLA,,,,.i give you aprox. 10 yrs. from today when you say you would rather watch than ride/race moto. its a very interesting journey to say thee least.for me, i went from quiting,not quiting,racing then not racing,etc....jetskis then racing skis....bowling....mtbing to mtb racing for 13 yrs now?moto is and always be in your blood.MOTO IS A HELL OF A DRUG!
Nutty C
9/27/2010 4:32pm Edited Date/Time 9/27/2010 4:33pm
Cygnus wrote:
Just come on out and tell your parents you bought a quad!
plowboy
9/27/2010 4:37pm
I traded moto for harescrambles and gran prix type stuff...still the excitement of racing but not all the insane jumps and whoops. Just finishing a 2 or 3 hour race is accomplishment enough...although winning doesn't suck.Wink
FIREfish148
9/27/2010 4:38pm
Im hanging onto it by a thread. I guess I have been since I decided to finance my bike at the stupid age of 20. I cant quit though. Whatever it takes Ive got to have a bike.
Maybe I could go a while without one though idk.
TheWeapon
Fantasy
68th
9/27/2010 4:41pm
I had some bad injuries and ended up quitting riding for about 7 years or so.....bought a bike 6 months ago....just to ride again with my brother and have fun. Only took me about 2 rides to decide I'll be racing again next season Smile I can't wait!!!
slowvet
9/27/2010 4:41pm
Void Main wrote:
Just buy a damn street bike already. I bought one and I'm about ready to sell my YZ. It's too damn easy to pull it out...
Just buy a damn street bike already. I bought one and I'm about ready to sell my YZ. It's too damn easy to pull it out of the garage, ride it, put it back in the garage and not have to wash it, change the tires, brakes, oil, piston, etc. etc. Don't get me wrong, I still ride the dirt bike but I pick and choose the best days to do that now.
Sold my 450 2 months ago. Saving my pesos for a 2010 Kawasaki Concours 14. I'll get another dirtbike down the road, maybe an old PE250 or IT250. Get back to the roots.
observer
9/27/2010 4:51pm
JW381 wrote:
Exactly. I know there's no way I can quit. It's in my blood and it's something I've been into for way too many years now. I'll...
Exactly. I know there's no way I can quit. It's in my blood and it's something I've been into for way too many years now. I'll be back on 2 wheels when the time is right.

I'm sure I'll still waste a bunch of my employers time on here as well Grinning
Hey man...I'm 53 y/o and still hit a pretty fast clip on the NW trails up in WA.
You don't have to prove anything to anybody. Go get you a good trail bike(KTM300)and go blaze the trails and have fun. Forget the fricken doubles and all the BS that moto has turned into nowadays and go have fun. You'll be surprised at the fun-factor...
That's what it's supposed to be, remember??Wink
perumx
9/27/2010 4:59pm
Ive been trying to quit all my life!
tw180
9/27/2010 4:59pm
I'm trying to sell my bike because I've decided that i need to get my life together and found another love, so far. I swore into the Army today and if anyone wants a bike, let me know! hehe D
TWicks
9/27/2010 7:55pm
I quit a little over a year ago because of $$ and I don't miss it a ton. I used to race twice a month or so and I miss the camaraderie of that but I don't actually miss riding that much.

I think I might look in to getting a used bike next spring just to ride with my cousin once in awhile, but we'll see.

Post a reply to: Hanging up my boots

The Latest