Hands up if you liked the format

JRT812
1/21/2018 10:12am
Has potential, but it was boring at times during the downtime. I actually fell a sleep and missed the last race.
1/21/2018 10:14am
gt80rider wrote:
I like it, but... I would also like to see a chase format
Why do people keep calling it a "Chase" format, as if that's some age-old generic term? That was a NASCAR brand name (as if they drive culture), and even they don't use it anymore.

kkawboy14
1/21/2018 10:17am
Enjoyed it a lot.
What he said!

I kept thinking, “man the emotional energy these guys are going thru to pull off 3 mains in one night must be crazy!”
Rdubs19
1/21/2018 10:55am
Loved the format, but am really on the fence about a chase. For me personally I just wouldn't be able to give a shit about the pre-chase part of the series, and I suspect a lot of riders wouldn't either. The only way a chase could create killer racing the entire season is if they have only the top 5 in points eligible for the title when the chase starts. The entire top 10 would be apeshit every week. Anyway this format is the tits, I cannot understand why there's so much bellyaching about it. Granted, the track blew and the first and possibly second mains need to be longer, but we got to see all the big names on the track for three seperate races in each class. How it is superior to fill the night with a bunch of non-points paying qualifiers where half the riders we want to watch aren't even racing is utterly beyond me. Yes, I know there were lots of commercials. Sorry it wasn't perfect, nothing is. But some of the reactions to that were so over the top it's hard to take them seriously. Some people on here would bitch about winning the lottery.

The Shop

bents
Fantasy
909th
1/21/2018 11:32am
It was awesome. Throw in the lcq's into the night program and it would be as good as you could potentially get it.
Martini637
1/21/2018 11:49am
This was the race that sent me off this ship...im done with SX for the year in terms of watching it on tv, Everything about it was dull in my opinion, I didnt even finish the races i was so sick of it. I like the 4 heats 4 semis and 2 LCQs, but who cares at this point.
1/21/2018 11:50am
Yes. It's good.

There should be several format changes throughout the season, this one included.

Just GET RID OF RALPH already. It's been years too long... had enough of his shtick.
blusmbl
1/21/2018 11:58am
bents wrote:
It was awesome. Throw in the lcq's into the night program and it would be as good as you could potentially get it.
I agree with this. Thought the individual races were more entertaining, but there is a lot of filler in the broadcast. They can cover the KTM Jrs, why not show either highlights or the LCQ's in their entirety on these nights?
drt410
1/21/2018 1:37pm
2 motos each, 2 hr format, perfection.
1/21/2018 1:43pm
Crush wrote:
But are against a chase...

Have to admit, the change of format shook up things and created some interest....
Both hands

Hate the chase concept.

3-moto format is vastly superior. Just needs to be executed better is all.
1/21/2018 1:49pm
LOL at you people saying there is too many commercials and too much down time. Feld isn't going to do anything about that. Seems if it was up to then they wouldn't show the racing at all. Only way to gain fans is to have segments about war vets and women that ride.
BikerScars
1/21/2018 1:49pm
I think having the fastest guys racing each other is always a good thing. So hands up.

The down time between motos seemed excessive. Not sure if it was more than usual or if it just seemed that way ??
Not sure if it was needed for commercials or track prep, but I think they needed something better to fill the void between motos.
CA_229
1/21/2018 1:52pm
I was at the race and absolutely LOVED IT!! But, I did wonder how it played on TV....

One thing this format did was grab your interest all over the track, not just the front. Let's admit it... the 3rd 450 main was very boring out front. Anderson and Tomac left everyone and that was that. But, back in the pack you had to pay attention to where Seely, Roczen and suprizingly... Brayton were. First time in years I gave a flip where Brayton was! Ive been to a number of SoCal races and one thing that's a mystery to me is the number of people that leave before the last main is done. Didn't happen last night. People stayed around to watch the whole race.

Riders that don't start well....aka...Plessinger....got hammered in this format. Good! Not that I dislike Plessinger, because I am very much a fan, but in this format he needs to get better in his starts. That's good for the sport. In the 250 class, a rider like Plessinger doesn't have to start well because he'll have time to get it worked out. Now, he has to pay attention to his starts quite a bit more.

....now if they can find a way to get control of the drunken jackasses at Anaheim. The place is prick central. I've been all over this country to races and Anaheim just sucks for the little kids. Have to think twice about bringing little ones to this place. At least it isn't like the old Super Bowl of Motocross races where the fights were more interesting than the racing, but it could still improve.
j100
1/21/2018 3:50pm
i loved it in person. that said, would be cool if they did a 2 stroke race or something like that in between the mains for the viewers at home.

this brings another element into the mix and it’s good for the sport.

loved it.
kongols
1/21/2018 3:58pm
I will hold my judgment till a better track comes around.
Potts
1/21/2018 4:01pm
Hand Down! I'm old and raced three moto formats as a kid so very familiar with this. I also watched the evolution of Supercross to one main event per class. I was at A2 yesterday and was there all day. The show started at 6:30pm PST and it was painful to have to sit and wait for racing. Today I watched it on TV... it simply sucked! How the fuck could anyone sit through all of the commercials and time wasting BS! Bad outcome but I appreciate Feld trying new (old) ideas.

Someone said to add filler races with up and coming riders (Like the MEC) and if there was more racing this could possibly solve the wasted dead time.

No one is talking about the track at A2... simply put it was too easy and really the only passing was block passing in the tight turns. It was good for the guys that typically get good starts but then work their way backwards but bad for the better riders that got poor starts and were basically stuck in a freight train.
gt80rider
1/22/2018 9:10am
Why do people keep calling it a "Chase" format, as if that's some age-old generic term? That was a NASCAR brand name (as if they drive...
Why do people keep calling it a "Chase" format, as if that's some age-old generic term? That was a NASCAR brand name (as if they drive culture), and even they don't use it anymore.

Do you have a better alternate? LOL
BobKerr
1/22/2018 9:58am
BOTH hands are up! I liked it.
Stanuc
1/22/2018 10:14am
While I liked watching 6 "main" events, I am concerned about the format for exactly what happened at A2. Joey had no incentive to ride hard in the 3rd moto once he nailed the start. He could have cruised to the finish. I was surprised he passed Sexton when he did. And I think he should have let AC92 by at the end to put 2 PC bikes on the podium (and increased his points lead). Similarly Eli had no incentive in the 3rd moto to battle with Anderson once Seely got a bad start.

It would be great to somehow have all 3 "mains" count points towards the championship (similar to MX) to provide incentive for top finishes in each "main". No idea how to do that.
akillerwombat
1/22/2018 10:26am Edited Date/Time 1/22/2018 10:29am
Not a fan.

Personally it feels like it is designed to increase drama by setting up a situation in which the top guys could be punished more brutally in the points via bad starts and early race / short race chaos than "reward" anyone but the fans. Although as a fan I felt pretty cheated out of watching someone like Plessinger climb back through the field for a dramatic finish. Why are we trying to mix 300 yard sprinters with marathon runners and reward them the same?

I get why they're doing it but I'd much prefer they give me a full moto, make it more about the finish than the start, and work on creating season long drama via a championship style series over the last 5 or so races.
mx_phreek
Fantasy
210th
1/22/2018 10:36am
I'm all for it, seeing the top guys on track for more gets my vote. Just need to work on the content between then and we will be golden

Post a reply to: Hands up if you liked the format

The Latest