Hands get fatigued quickly and painful - bars, grips?

DirtBikeKid46
Edited Date/Time 9/7/2020 11:00am
Not quite sure the reason but on my '19 yz250f my hands just kill me when riding. I thought originally it was me not gripping good enough with the knees but I'm starting to think it may be either the bar bend or grips. My friend rode it today and mentioned the same thing, he's A level rider and I'm B.
I'm 6'1", bars in forward position, ran stock grips until recently changed to ProGrips and no difference.

Any thoughts?
|
Meister
9/5/2020 5:51pm
Thinner grips was helpful for me. I run the emigs.
DirtBikeKid46
9/5/2020 6:46pm
Actually, just ordered a set of the Renthal kevlars. I'm going to give those a try and see if that helps. Thanks.
wrc777
Fantasy
587th
9/5/2020 7:17pm
Gloves aren’t worn and slick are they? Sometimes thinner grips are better and sometimes bigger are better.

The Shop

UpTiTe
Fantasy
4109th
9/5/2020 7:28pm
Not quite sure the reason but on my '19 yz250f my hands just kill me when riding. I thought originally it was me not gripping good...
Not quite sure the reason but on my '19 yz250f my hands just kill me when riding. I thought originally it was me not gripping good enough with the knees but I'm starting to think it may be either the bar bend or grips. My friend rode it today and mentioned the same thing, he's A level rider and I'm B.
I'm 6'1", bars in forward position, ran stock grips until recently changed to ProGrips and no difference.

Any thoughts?
Loosen the pinch bolts on your triple clamps a tad.
mirramaxx
9/5/2020 7:43pm
What size glove ? I use L/XL depending on brands. Have had good results with 100% glove and run the ODI Rouge lock on grips which are geared to riders with bigger hands. I will never run another grip these have been a tremendous help for me, hope you find the right setup !
9/5/2020 7:44pm
Where are your levers? Are they pointed super far down? That will cause you to grip super hard with your palms and fatigue your hands quickly
DirtBikeKid46
9/5/2020 8:05pm
wrc777 wrote:
Gloves aren’t worn and slick are they? Sometimes thinner grips are better and sometimes bigger are better.
Interesting, never heard this suggestion. Assuming it will help absorb some impact by flexing.
DirtBikeKid46
9/5/2020 8:09pm
Where are your levers? Are they pointed super far down? That will cause you to grip super hard with your palms and fatigue your hands quickly
Nope, almost parallel to the ground.
DirtBikeKid46
9/5/2020 8:11pm
ProTaper EVO bars helped a lot with comfort for me
You know, I have a pair of those that I really like. I may have to throw them on my 250f with the Renthal grips and see how that feels. Thanks for the reminder!
wrc777
Fantasy
587th
9/5/2020 9:03pm Edited Date/Time 9/5/2020 9:05pm
Protaper evo bars definitely help with vibration but I am not sure that is your problem. For me anything that makes the grips feel slicker will make me clamp my hands down harder. There is an ideal grip size for everyone. The trick is finding it. Bar Sweep could be a factor too. It could be putting your wrists in a bad angle. Forgot to add if my gloves are too loose arm pump happens a lot faster for me. Thicker gloves are better for me too.
Falcon
Fantasy
856th
9/5/2020 9:16pm
What has worked for me is larger diameter grips and a flat bar bend (less sweep.) I feel like I barely have to hold on.
9/6/2020 12:26am
I was having similar problems on my husqvarna 350. The only place i could ride during lockdown was a hard clay paddock that was used for cow grazing. When it was wet the cows left hoof prints everywhere which dried rock hard. After 3 laps my hands were toast!! I checked in here to vital & some guys suggested the neken sfs top air clamp. I got one & i can say it is the best part i have ever bolted onto a bike! I dont know why everyone isnt using them. I know its a lot of money but you will not be disappointed!! i havnt had sore hands since & can do a 20 min moto with no armpump. I wish they were available 20 years ago when i was in my prime.

DirtBikeKid46
9/6/2020 6:05am
I was having similar problems on my husqvarna 350. The only place i could ride during lockdown was a hard clay paddock that was used for...
I was having similar problems on my husqvarna 350. The only place i could ride during lockdown was a hard clay paddock that was used for cow grazing. When it was wet the cows left hoof prints everywhere which dried rock hard. After 3 laps my hands were toast!! I checked in here to vital & some guys suggested the neken sfs top air clamp. I got one & i can say it is the best part i have ever bolted onto a bike! I dont know why everyone isnt using them. I know its a lot of money but you will not be disappointed!! i havnt had sore hands since & can do a 20 min moto with no armpump. I wish they were available 20 years ago when i was in my prime.

This seems like it may help, pricier option for sure but... Comfort is worthwhile!
When you were looking into this, do you remember the difference between the SFS air and the spring version?
DirtBikeKid46
9/6/2020 6:38am
How is your suspension set up?
Sprung for my weight and ability and have the Enzo national tubes for better bottoming resistance. I definitely think part of it is me doing the death grip. Focusing on breathing and squeezing with knees should help me.
gt80rider
9/6/2020 7:03am
Not the answer u wanna hear... But seat time is your cure...
Crush
9/6/2020 7:04am
Fork deflecting? Too soft a spring/too much air pressure or rebound?
kb228
9/6/2020 7:35am
I have the same problem. I run pro taper pillowtops. Helps a little but riding is the only thing that makes it better.
BeachMX
9/6/2020 7:52am
I used to have this problem too, and like everyone says, seat time is really the only cure.
CR92
9/6/2020 8:15am
I'm in on this thread. I'm curious to know what the most comfortable grips are, according to everyone's experience here. I'll be needing to replace the stock grips on my 20' kx250 soon and would rather not get something I don't like.

That all said, I second what everyone else is saying, seat time is best. I've never really had the same issues as op, but I'm probably not nearly as fast either.
wrc777
Fantasy
587th
9/6/2020 8:30am
I like protaper race cut for glue on and the odi emig soft for clamp on.
9/6/2020 8:46am
Had the same issue, didn't matter where I put the bars at on a ktm, the neken's are stiff, switched bends and went to the odi bars with the crossbar, night and day difference, if you have another set try swapping them
JN137
Fantasy
455th
9/6/2020 9:07am
Do you notice the same problem with activities non-moto related?

The reason I ask is I had this issue for years when I was racing. It was horrible. And a very different issue than your typical "arm pump" it was always my hands. And it was painful. For years I had to listen to people give me every solution under the sun - You're holding on too tight, use your knees more, take vitamin B-12, no sugar in your diet, etc. Mind you I was riding 3-4 times a week consistently, so this was hardly a seat time issue. The worst part was that it always held me back, because my speed and fitness were ALWAYS far superior to what I could actually produce on the racetrack because my hands were such a problem, I simply couldn't hold on to the bars after a certain point.

Anyways, fast-forward years later (I quit racing in 2011, then rode again 2014-2016) and I've learned the problem for me doesn't stem from MX at all, but rather is an issue I have just in general.. I experience the same problem top this day, doing simple tasks with my hands, such as using a screwdriver or a garden hose. Maybe it's carpel tunnel, or a nerve issue.. I'm really not sure, but it sucks and it affected my time racing motocross in a big way.
kb228
9/6/2020 9:10am
JN137 wrote:
Do you notice the same problem with activities non-moto related? The reason I ask is I had this issue for years when I was racing. It...
Do you notice the same problem with activities non-moto related?

The reason I ask is I had this issue for years when I was racing. It was horrible. And a very different issue than your typical "arm pump" it was always my hands. And it was painful. For years I had to listen to people give me every solution under the sun - You're holding on too tight, use your knees more, take vitamin B-12, no sugar in your diet, etc. Mind you I was riding 3-4 times a week consistently, so this was hardly a seat time issue. The worst part was that it always held me back, because my speed and fitness were ALWAYS far superior to what I could actually produce on the racetrack because my hands were such a problem, I simply couldn't hold on to the bars after a certain point.

Anyways, fast-forward years later (I quit racing in 2011, then rode again 2014-2016) and I've learned the problem for me doesn't stem from MX at all, but rather is an issue I have just in general.. I experience the same problem top this day, doing simple tasks with my hands, such as using a screwdriver or a garden hose. Maybe it's carpel tunnel, or a nerve issue.. I'm really not sure, but it sucks and it affected my time racing motocross in a big way.
I notice the same as well. Screw drivers, pencils etc. its always the golf ball muscle in between my thumb and index.
Lightning78
9/6/2020 9:16am
Im seeing a lot of expensive add on suggestions but in reality if you guys are holding on that tight with your hands you're not hanging on to the bike with your legs hard enough I'm the most out of shape I think I've ever been and even if I can only spin a few laps the one thing that never happens to me anymore is arm pump because I hang on tight with my legs and keep my upper body loose. Every single one of my riding buddies even those who work out and stand shape all complain of arm pump riding the same amount of time I do and they all log more seat time none of them hang on very tight with their legs and it's evident by the lack of wear on the frame with some and plastics from boot rub gripping the bike with their legs and knees.

Ever since I directed my focus to squeezing the bike with my legs and relaxing my upper body I become a much more fluid better rider and feel 10 times more in control not that I wasn't hanging on before but I've made it a priority and relaxed my upper body and my grip on the handlebars
spimx
9/6/2020 9:34am
I've had 2 broken wrists. I got the neken sfh bars and I have not had the problem at all since then. The pillow grips and dual compound grips are the worst, the troy lee designs grips are the thinnest

Post a reply to: Hands get fatigued quickly and painful - bars, grips?

The Latest