Had a buddy go down hard, but things look ok...

dirtnapper
Edited Date/Time 8/20/2014 11:09pm
A group of us got together yesterday at a local track about two hours from here. We had a friend who has just gotten into motocross this year, but who has made tremendous progress and just loves riding. His excitement and enthusiasm is refreshing to see.

He crashed really hard on a steep downhill section of the track, and was completely out when my brother and I got to him. We estimated that he was unconscious for about a minute and a half before he was able to respond to us. I went through the motions of my "first on scene" emergency response training, and when we determined that nothing was broken, and had him sitting and then standing, we realized he was badly concussed. He remembered his name and ours, knew that he was married and had kids, but kept asking the same questions over and over - where are we? what day is it? where is my wife? why are we here?

Pretty scary to actually deal with it.

We got him quickly to the local hospital and after tests and x-rays they transported him 2 1/2 hours to Edmonton's U of A Hospital for further care.

They released him early this morning and his family has alerted us that he is doing fine. He has some serious road rash on his right lower back and left shoulder, as well as a big bruise on the back of his neck, but thank God he is going to be fine.

I was seriously worried sick to my stomach last night waiting for updates. Glad he's ok, could have been worse.

Heal up, Justin - can't wait to see you out there again!
|
MxKing809
Fantasy
315th
8/10/2014 7:31pm
Definitely scary, and unfortunately something you come across being in this sport for a while. Glad to hear all is well!
500guy
8/10/2014 7:38pm
Glad He's going to be okay.
gsxrcr28
Fantasy
2452nd
8/10/2014 7:50pm
MxKing809 wrote:
Definitely scary, and unfortunately something you come across being in this sport for a while. Glad to hear all is well!
Very true.

Glad your friend is going to be ok!
jeffro503
8/10/2014 7:57pm
Very good to hear your buddy is ok DN! It is a scary thing for sure to see and talk to someone that just got their head hit pretty hard. I've been in both positions myself. I've felt " Punch drunk " for a couple days afterwords , and basically had to hold onto the walls while walking down the hallway. Had some buddies get hit pretty good , and no matter how many times you see it.....it's still a little scary because you really don't know how bad it is , or if it will get worse ( Brain swelling ). Good idea to get him to the docs.

The Shop

mx510
Fantasy
1744th
8/10/2014 8:04pm
I have had two of those exact type of concussions myself, they are no fun. Glad he is doing ok!!!
Jack mehoff
8/10/2014 8:57pm
dirtnapper wrote:
A group of us got together yesterday at a local track about two hours from here. We had a friend who has just gotten into motocross...
A group of us got together yesterday at a local track about two hours from here. We had a friend who has just gotten into motocross this year, but who has made tremendous progress and just loves riding. His excitement and enthusiasm is refreshing to see.

He crashed really hard on a steep downhill section of the track, and was completely out when my brother and I got to him. We estimated that he was unconscious for about a minute and a half before he was able to respond to us. I went through the motions of my "first on scene" emergency response training, and when we determined that nothing was broken, and had him sitting and then standing, we realized he was badly concussed. He remembered his name and ours, knew that he was married and had kids, but kept asking the same questions over and over - where are we? what day is it? where is my wife? why are we here?

Pretty scary to actually deal with it.

We got him quickly to the local hospital and after tests and x-rays they transported him 2 1/2 hours to Edmonton's U of A Hospital for further care.

They released him early this morning and his family has alerted us that he is doing fine. He has some serious road rash on his right lower back and left shoulder, as well as a big bruise on the back of his neck, but thank God he is going to be fine.

I was seriously worried sick to my stomach last night waiting for updates. Glad he's ok, could have been worse.

Heal up, Justin - can't wait to see you out there again!
Glad he was ok , I was sponsored by beiffie helmets at one time and had a wreck like that one time , who ever thought a plastic helmet was a good idea was a Moron , tell him to toss that helmet and get a new one
Mickolobe7
8/10/2014 9:11pm
Glad to hear he is ok and can go home to his family!
The Rock
8/11/2014 10:26am
You are a good friend and thanks for sharing that story. Great to hear it appears he'll be okay. Do I go to the hospital to get checked out or screw it I'm fine leave me alone is a tough place to be so a tip of the visor for getting your buddy checked out.
shuggs
8/11/2014 10:42am
Concussions are a very scary thing, had a friend take a hit after landing on tabletop with same reactions where am I etc, took a good while before he was 'sort' of normal.

Had son fall and hit front of head on kerb and fek me that was bad, fractured skull, blood clot and concussion, 2 1/2 yrs later there is still small effects at times. Now our family NEVER takes any head hits as a joke, grandson is still learning about never hitting anyone on head.
DemoDick
8/11/2014 11:21am
If he was out that long and had that kind of "resetting" symptoms afterwards like continually asking where he is and what happened he needs to be dam sure he is all healed up before riding again. Honestly I would tell him to take at least 2 months off.

Tell him to go see a neuro and make sure he is right before getting on a bike again. Another good whack to the head before he is healed up and it could be much much worse.

dirtnapper
8/11/2014 1:59pm
Thanks for all the great comments guys. I heard from him today and he seems to be doing very well.

His brother posted this pic up on his FB, pretty funny! Laughing

Question
8/11/2014 2:24pm
mx510 wrote:
I have had two of those exact type of concussions myself, they are no fun. Glad he is doing ok!!!

I had 1 like that, I was asking the time to my family every 5 minutes Smile He will be ok but I would recommend him to keep magnesium tabs near him for about a year, just in case. (Indeed I have had spasmophilia a few days after this)
dirtnapper
8/18/2014 6:35pm
Just an update - Justin is doing very well, and is back to work. Was pretty sore for a few days after the crash, but overall could have been much worse, I suppose.

I saw his mom this weekend, and she gave me a big long hug and said "thanks for being there for my son....." Kind of put a lump in my throat, thinking how different things could have been for that family.

STAY SAFE OUT THERE, MOTO BROTHERS AND SISTERS Smile
scooter5002
8/18/2014 8:41pm
Sadly, getting hurt is part of this sport. Glad he's getting better.
smoothies862
Fantasy
676th
8/19/2014 5:27pm
glad hes ok. not to start a debate,but i wonder how the 6d wouldve faired?
8/20/2014 7:28pm Edited Date/Time 8/20/2014 7:31pm
Glad he's ok, Injuries are something we all have to accept as being unavoidable in this sport.We've all had our share of broken bones, I know I have..

dirtnapper
8/20/2014 9:07pm
glad hes ok. not to start a debate,but i wonder how the 6d wouldve faired?
A very fair question.

Actually, right after the crash, after examining his helmet we found a hair line crack from the bottom back all the way up to the top. My brother actually said "time for a 6D, dude...."
bvm111
8/20/2014 11:09pm
Those new Fox V3 and 4 look interesting too how they allow for rotational control of your Mellon.... That being said I'm probably going 6D next as well!!!

Again... Glad he is doing better!

Post a reply to: Had a buddy go down hard, but things look ok...

The Latest