Edited Date/Time 9/24/2019 7:54am
Viva espana!

|
Falcon
Fantasy
856th
9/23/2019 8:23am
That's "Hable' con mi billetera." Wink
Nice bike. Are you going to ride it? Restore it? Just look at the sweet thing in your garage? (All acceptable, of course, just wondering...)
9/23/2019 11:44am
1975 Montesa Cappra "v75" which is essentially the last iteration of the commonly known "VR" or "Vehkonen Replica." As far as I have gathered, bike looks like it was used seldomnly, then wrecked as bars are bent at an awkward angle. Tests at the time said 32 rwhp, which for 74 and 75, was the most, or near the most depending on what day your cylinder was cut.

75 was first attempt at long travel suspension. Whooping 8 inches up front, 6 at the rear. Montesa was a little ahead of their time with the laid down shock design vs the 75 Elsinore that had taller upright shocks (that handled pretty bad). Fiberglass tank/airbox, bing carb, motoplat ignition, betor suspension bits, all common with the European offerings at that time. Bike is original, even the number plates.

It will be a racer and rider. I've never been a concours restoration type person, but instead bring them back to live with some modern ammenitites (tires, suspension springs/bushings, better shocks, arc brake shoes). And, being a 75 it us not as desirable since most vintage series run 75-80ish clumped together, and very little hope to run down someone on a 78 Elsinore or YZ equivalent. I've wanted a low pipe MX bike for a long time, and this peaked my interest as my dad have several Montesas growing up; 71 Cappra, 73 VR Cappra, and 78 Cappra V-b. My local riding area has a smooth vet track, so will be fun to have something to rip on it as well.
byke
9/23/2019 12:00pm
I don't understand how an entire group of people have the brains/skill/ability to manufacture a functional motorcycle, but nobody raised their hand when someone thought it was a good idea to run the exhaust under the bike.

The Shop

GuyB
Fantasy
1215th
9/23/2019 1:42pm Edited Date/Time 9/23/2019 1:43pm
byke wrote:
I don't understand how an entire group of people have the brains/skill/ability to manufacture a functional motorcycle, but nobody raised their hand when someone thought it...
I don't understand how an entire group of people have the brains/skill/ability to manufacture a functional motorcycle, but nobody raised their hand when someone thought it was a good idea to run the exhaust under the bike.
They (almost) all did it that way in the past.
GuyB
Fantasy
1215th
9/23/2019 1:43pm
1975 Montesa Cappra "v75" which is essentially the last iteration of the commonly known "VR" or "Vehkonen Replica." As far as I have gathered, bike looks...
1975 Montesa Cappra "v75" which is essentially the last iteration of the commonly known "VR" or "Vehkonen Replica." As far as I have gathered, bike looks like it was used seldomnly, then wrecked as bars are bent at an awkward angle. Tests at the time said 32 rwhp, which for 74 and 75, was the most, or near the most depending on what day your cylinder was cut.

75 was first attempt at long travel suspension. Whooping 8 inches up front, 6 at the rear. Montesa was a little ahead of their time with the laid down shock design vs the 75 Elsinore that had taller upright shocks (that handled pretty bad). Fiberglass tank/airbox, bing carb, motoplat ignition, betor suspension bits, all common with the European offerings at that time. Bike is original, even the number plates.

It will be a racer and rider. I've never been a concours restoration type person, but instead bring them back to live with some modern ammenitites (tires, suspension springs/bushings, better shocks, arc brake shoes). And, being a 75 it us not as desirable since most vintage series run 75-80ish clumped together, and very little hope to run down someone on a 78 Elsinore or YZ equivalent. I've wanted a low pipe MX bike for a long time, and this peaked my interest as my dad have several Montesas growing up; 71 Cappra, 73 VR Cappra, and 78 Cappra V-b. My local riding area has a smooth vet track, so will be fun to have something to rip on it as well.
Does she run? Or do you have some work to do?
USA
Fantasy
507th
9/23/2019 1:48pm
Falcon wrote:
That's "Hable' con mi billetera." ;) Nice bike. Are you going to ride it? Restore it? Just look at the sweet thing in your garage? (All...
Nice bike. Are you going to ride it? Restore it? Just look at the sweet thing in your garage? (All acceptable, of course, just wondering...)
'Hablé'

Wink

Sweet bike, I hope you have lots of fun ripping on that thing!
jjavaman
Fantasy
3765th
9/23/2019 2:20pm
byke wrote:
I don't understand how an entire group of people have the brains/skill/ability to manufacture a functional motorcycle, but nobody raised their hand when someone thought it...
They also used to think a full face helmet would cause you to pass out from lack of air. When I bought my 1st new motorcycle (Can-Am 250 TNT) and went to fill it up, the gas station attendant was not going to fill it because it was plastic😂😂.
Falcon
Fantasy
856th
9/23/2019 3:54pm
Falcon wrote:
That's "Hable' con mi billetera." ;) Nice bike. Are you going to ride it? Restore it? Just look at the sweet thing in your garage? (All...
USA wrote:
'Hablé'

Wink

Sweet bike, I hope you have lots of fun ripping on that thing!
Yeah, I couldn't figure out how to drop in an accent. :-)
acres951
9/23/2019 4:12pm
byke wrote:
GuyB wrote:
I think on a podcast this year with Decoster he mentions when asked about the exhaust under the bike that it wasn’t much of an issue as there was such little travel.

I may be wrong. It always makes me wonder as well!
500 Mike
9/23/2019 5:11pm
7” of fork travel (some were less) and 4” of rear wheel travel kept those pipes (mostly) alive...... no double jumps helped
Bermworm
9/23/2019 10:35pm Edited Date/Time 9/23/2019 10:36pm
byke wrote:
GuyB wrote:
acres951 wrote:
I think on a podcast this year with Decoster he mentions when asked about the exhaust under the bike that it wasn’t much of an issue...
I think on a podcast this year with Decoster he mentions when asked about the exhaust under the bike that it wasn’t much of an issue as there was such little travel.

I may be wrong. It always makes me wonder as well!
Ah the good old days when straight pull throttles were an after market accessory.
9/24/2019 6:43am
1975 Montesa Cappra "v75" which is essentially the last iteration of the commonly known "VR" or "Vehkonen Replica." As far as I have gathered, bike looks...

GuyB wrote:
Does she run? Or do you have some work to do?
Not yet; basic things, rebuild the carb, new air filter, seal the fiberglass tank. It even still has the rubber joint petcock, which will likely replace. The motor was actually rebuilt prior to the last owner, who then got it and got lost in a project shuffle. We're hoping to make a race in November on it, more likely December. Fingers crossed.
robkinuk
9/24/2019 7:54am
Raced one back in the day. Good all round bike, not bad handling. Just keep an eye on the threaded exhaust ring that holds the pipe onto the cylinder. Easy to cross thread and also if it hasn't been undone for a few years a judicious soaking of penetrating oil should help. Try and get a hold of a G style spanner to loosen it as well.
Have fun!

Post a reply to: Hablo con mi billetera

The Latest