HRC's Betley on Roczen: "How many athletes do you know that got injured and moved a therapist into their house?"

Related:
Create New Tag

8/8/2017 11:01 AM
Edited Date/Time: 8/8/2017 11:10 AM

I enjoyed reading Dan's Insight on Kenny here:

http://racerxonline.com/2017/08/07/insight-dan-betley

"RX: Is there any specific timeline? Do you know for sure he’s racing Anaheim or anything? As soon as people see him on a bike they started looking at the calendar.

DB: If you ask Kenny, he’s doing Motocross of Nations! Probably he’s thinking of doing the USGP, but we’re like, slow it down. Let’s be smart about this. I think the most important thing is to not just have a doctor go, “Yeah, your bone is strong enough. You can ride.” He’s got to be in a good mental state. He’s got to be in a good physical state. He’s got to feel like he’s ready to go. I believe mentally he’s already there. I believe he was out doing a moto today. Now, he’s supposed to be wheels on the ground, and it’s a turn track, but at the same time, he’s still doing that for 30-something minutes. He texts me and says he honestly feels he could race. Condition-wise he’s good to go. It’s not like he got hurt and he was sitting on the couch watching TV and eating Bon-Bons. The guy is a bit ADD and he’s just always wanting to do something and having fun, and staying physically fit is part of it.

RX: I think that’s what people forget. Yes, the injury was severe so many people will assume you can’t come back from that. But they forget that these guys are full-time professional athletes. He can go anywhere, spend anything, do whatever it takes. It’s not a dude that has to go work at the factory or at his computer a few weeks after he gets hurt and tries to get some therapy on the side.

DB: How many athletes do you know that got injured and moved a therapist into their house? He is getting therapy two times a day at his house. How many times have you heard that happen before? So, that’s how committed he is to coming back and living his dream and winning championships.

RX: There is light at the end of the tunnel.

DB: I see a sun at the end of the tunnel, not just a light."

[LINK TO IMAGE]

|

8/8/2017 11:22 AM

Gosh, the commitment is that intense

|

8/8/2017 11:29 AM

If anybody can do it- this guy can! It is awesome to see the desire.

|

It's impossible for a corporation or government to love you or care about you.

8/8/2017 11:30 AM

We were told at the German GP he was aiming for Nations.. by someone close enough to be taken seriously. If he does ride , it kind of makes the 'i need a rest' boys look piss poor.

|

8/8/2017 11:30 AM

"he's supposed to be Wheels on the ground"
Ha ha

|

"If you are going through HELL, keep going."-Winston Churchill
"A man needs a little madness or else he never dares cut the rope and be free"-Zorba
Blur the technicolor

8/8/2017 11:36 AM

oldblood wrote:

"he's supposed to be Wheels on the ground"
Ha ha

hahaha did you see the video that was taking on his FIRST day back on the bike?

|

8/8/2017 11:41 AM

How many athletes do you know that got injured and moved a therapist into their house? in other sports , loads and loads and loads .

|

8/8/2017 11:44 AM

oldblood wrote:

"he's supposed to be Wheels on the ground"
Ha ha

crusty_xx wrote:

hahaha did you see the video that was taking on his FIRST day back on the bike?

LOL! He said his Dr. told him he could do, "small" jumps.

|

8/8/2017 11:45 AM

If he comes back and resumes kicking ass, I will definitely consider him my favorite forever. He's already my favorite bit that'll seal the deal lol.

|

8/8/2017 11:46 AM
Edited Date/Time: 8/8/2017 11:48 AM

philG wrote:
We were told at the German GP he was aiming for Nations.. by someone close enough to be taken seriously. If he does ride , it kind of makes the 'i need a rest' boys look piss poor.

^^^^ This!

|

8/8/2017 11:49 AM

philG wrote:

We were told at the German GP he was aiming for Nations.. by someone close enough to be taken seriously. If he does ride , it kind of makes the 'i need a rest' boys look piss poor.

That would be cool but I can't see it happening.. just isn't logical IMO but I guess if Kenny's mind is set on that what's going to stop him?

Imagine if he did race MXdN and won? That would be gnarly...

|

8/8/2017 11:50 AM

brimx153 wrote:

How many athletes do you know that got injured and moved a therapist into their house? in other sports , loads and loads and loads .

Yeah I mean that was a dumb statement lol. Every professional athlete with the money to do so does this.

|

8/8/2017 11:51 AM

philG wrote:

We were told at the German GP he was aiming for Nations.. by someone close enough to be taken seriously. If he does ride , it kind of makes the 'i need a rest' boys look piss poor.

He should do it, if he and his doctors feel alright, just to make them all look terrible.

|

8/8/2017 11:53 AM

Put me on record for never doubting Kenny.

|

United States of America

8/8/2017 11:53 AM

I just get the impression with Kenny that he made a promise to the German fans that he would ride for them, and if he's able to ride he's going to keep his promise

|

8/8/2017 11:53 AM

He will be out for 2018 SX series and will make his debut for the first round of 2018 Outdoors.

Stamp it!

|

8/8/2017 11:59 AM

TXDirt wrote:

He will be out for 2018 SX series and will make his debut for the first round of 2018 Outdoors.

Stamp it!

What makes you think that? He has 5 months to get ready.

|

8/8/2017 12:05 PM

philG wrote:

We were told at the German GP he was aiming for Nations.. by someone close enough to be taken seriously. If he does ride , it kind of makes the 'i need a rest' boys look piss poor.

It makes you wonder how serious guys like Malcolm Stewart really are when they have all the time in the world to get ready to race and then show up fat and fade after 5 laps. There is a reason Kroc makes big $$$$$$ and some guys can't get a decent ride even after winning a championship.blush

|

Ed Johnson

8/8/2017 12:05 PM

He's a boss, doing what a boss does.
There aren't many like him.

|

8/8/2017 12:06 PM

F.B wrote:

What makes you think that? He has 5 months to get ready.

Yeah.. i mean, guys who arent injured need 3 months to get ready.

|

8/8/2017 12:14 PM

TXDirt wrote:

He will be out for 2018 SX series and will make his debut for the first round of 2018 Outdoors.

Stamp it!

F.B wrote:

What makes you think that? He has 5 months to get ready.

I'm guessing he will want to be 100% healthy before going back onto a SX track again. Looking at the nature of the injury, the rehab, etc, there is no way he will be 100% healthy in less then a year.

He gains absolutely nothing by trying to come back too early for a SX series.

He should heal up and just start preparing for the 2018 MX series. If he is 100% healthy by then, and he feels good on the bike he will be a title contender.

He will not be a title contender in 2018 SX so why risk coming back too soon?

|

8/8/2017 12:20 PM

TXDirt wrote:

He will be out for 2018 SX series and will make his debut for the first round of 2018 Outdoors.

Stamp it!

F.B wrote:

What makes you think that? He has 5 months to get ready.

TXDirt wrote:

I'm guessing he will want to be 100% healthy before going back onto a SX track again. Looking at the nature of the injury, the rehab, etc, there is no way he will be 100% healthy in less then a year.

He gains absolutely nothing by trying to come back too early for a SX series.

He should heal up and just start preparing for the 2018 MX series. If he is 100% healthy by then, and he feels good on the bike he will be a title contender.

He will not be a title contender in 2018 SX so why risk coming back too soon?

How do you know that he won't be a title contender in 2018 SX?

|

8/8/2017 12:24 PM

There is a reason this sport is primarily dominated by a few racers each and every year. It's rare for any person to possess the heart and determination and never say die attitude to do whatever it takes to be the best. Kenny has that trait. Can't wait to see him back on the line at a race, preferably SX 2018. No need to rush into any race sooner than that. Wouldn't be surprised though to see him race Monster Cup.

|

8/8/2017 12:25 PM

He should race the last national.

|

8/8/2017 12:49 PM

F.B wrote:

What makes you think that? He has 5 months to get ready.

TXDirt wrote:

I'm guessing he will want to be 100% healthy before going back onto a SX track again. Looking at the nature of the injury, the rehab, etc, there is no way he will be 100% healthy in less then a year.

He gains absolutely nothing by trying to come back too early for a SX series.

He should heal up and just start preparing for the 2018 MX series. If he is 100% healthy by then, and he feels good on the bike he will be a title contender.

He will not be a title contender in 2018 SX so why risk coming back too soon?

RG1 wrote:

How do you know that he won't be a title contender in 2018 SX?

It's an opinion, nothing more. Just going by what we know about his injury and from historical data on severe injuries in this sport and other sports.

He can certainly defy the odds and line up at A1 and win though. I'm pulling for him.

Just being realistic at the same time.

|

8/8/2017 12:51 PM

TXDirt wrote:

He will be out for 2018 SX series and will make his debut for the first round of 2018 Outdoors.

Stamp it!

F.B wrote:

What makes you think that? He has 5 months to get ready.

philG wrote:

Yeah.. i mean, guys who arent injured need 3 months to get ready.

Yeah...no one ever lined up at A1 with less than 3 months of preparation. ermm

|

8/8/2017 1:01 PM

philG wrote:

We were told at the German GP he was aiming for Nations.. by someone close enough to be taken seriously. If he does ride , it kind of makes the 'i need a rest' boys look piss poor.

He has been on a "Rest" since January

Your comparison is a lame cheap shot that isn't even valid.

|

8/8/2017 1:12 PM

Back when he first got injured I would have put £100 on him not being on a bike this year never mind considering racing. I genuinely thought it would be over a year before he lay his hands anywhere near a bike.


Ken goes down in my book as a Ledgend of this sport. WHEN he wins a SX title he's practically covered everything there is to do in professional motorcross.

|

8/8/2017 1:17 PM

Cinderella story if he makes it back to MEC and wins the million!!!!!w00t w00t w00t w00t

|

8/8/2017 1:19 PM

lostboy819 wrote:

It makes you wonder how serious guys like Malcolm Stewart really are when they have all the time in the world to get ready to race and then show up fat and fade after 5 laps. There is a reason Kroc makes big $$$$$$ and some guys can't get a decent ride even after winning a championship.blush

THIS. I've always been a fan of Ken, but his determination to get back out there makes me even more of a fan. Dean Wilson comes to mind as well. Grabbed his own bikes, put the serious work in and made the best of out. Got him back on factory bike. Guys like that have huge heart. Much respect.

|