HRC Honda testing

brycepdh
9/20/2019 8:22pm Edited Date/Time 9/21/2019 9:41am

I came across this on my Instagram feed. The comment states that Albertson is doing testing for Trey Canard and Trey is doing the testing for Roczen. The first time I’ve heard this kind of testing is used. Would that produce some confusing results as it’s input from two different riders could end up being something that doesn’t work for roczen?

Like it’s would make more sense if they have a singular test rider with a riding style and setup preference similar to roczen and work from that? Thoughts..
|
crowe176
9/20/2019 8:27pm
It would make more sense to take what top jimmy says with a grain of salt
kiwifan
9/20/2019 10:47pm
A white seat? or do I need glasses?
9/21/2019 2:01am
kiwifan wrote:
A white seat? or do I need glasses?
Thats what I thought too

The Shop

AJ565
9/21/2019 6:04am
brycepdh wrote:
[img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2019/09/20/374153/s1200_E6997E24_A29B_4B1E_A6C3_DA71ECE3822A.jpg[/img] I came across this on my Instagram feed. The comment states that Albertson is doing testing for Trey Canard and Trey is doing the testing...

I came across this on my Instagram feed. The comment states that Albertson is doing testing for Trey Canard and Trey is doing the testing for Roczen. The first time I’ve heard this kind of testing is used. Would that produce some confusing results as it’s input from two different riders could end up being something that doesn’t work for roczen?

Like it’s would make more sense if they have a singular test rider with a riding style and setup preference similar to roczen and work from that? Thoughts..
I would think they make big changes with Jimmy to try and then take the refined data and have Tray fine tune it for Ken. That would make the most sense to me anyways.
Ray_MXS
9/21/2019 6:39am
I'm amazed that you guys take that seriously
t_baum88
9/21/2019 6:42am Edited Date/Time 9/21/2019 8:54am
mxtech1
9/21/2019 7:11am
Bringing a new part to market, or race team, is quite a process. Testing usually follows four stages for new parts:
1) Feasibility
2) Durability
3) Limited production (Canard)
4)Production (Roczen)

This is fairly common (although I have grossly simplified it) within design and production.

In the feasibility and durability stage, they are mostly just collecting data and logging hours to understand design durability, part functionality, impact to the system, etc., Each time the test is finished, results and data are analyzed to understand if the parts needs design changes. If it does change, a new test is initiated and the process starts somewhere back at the beginning.

It's possibly that Jimmy is testing parts in the feasibility and durability and then once they have a part dialed in it gets passed to Trey for final testing. Once the part is proven by Trey, it would go on to testing with Roczen to see if it's worthy of going on the race bike or not. Production intent parts on the race bike can also prove to be valuable tests as if Roczen can't break it, the average Joe Smoe weekend ripper isn't going to break it either.

Honda's smart enough that they aren't going to throw a newly designed part onto Roczen's bike without first validating it's design through hours and hours of testing with the expendable testers

davistld01
9/21/2019 7:23am
mxtech1 wrote:
Bringing a new part to market, or race team, is quite a process. Testing usually follows four stages for new parts: 1) Feasibility 2) Durability 3)...
Bringing a new part to market, or race team, is quite a process. Testing usually follows four stages for new parts:
1) Feasibility
2) Durability
3) Limited production (Canard)
4)Production (Roczen)

This is fairly common (although I have grossly simplified it) within design and production.

In the feasibility and durability stage, they are mostly just collecting data and logging hours to understand design durability, part functionality, impact to the system, etc., Each time the test is finished, results and data are analyzed to understand if the parts needs design changes. If it does change, a new test is initiated and the process starts somewhere back at the beginning.

It's possibly that Jimmy is testing parts in the feasibility and durability and then once they have a part dialed in it gets passed to Trey for final testing. Once the part is proven by Trey, it would go on to testing with Roczen to see if it's worthy of going on the race bike or not. Production intent parts on the race bike can also prove to be valuable tests as if Roczen can't break it, the average Joe Smoe weekend ripper isn't going to break it either.

Honda's smart enough that they aren't going to throw a newly designed part onto Roczen's bike without first validating it's design through hours and hours of testing with the expendable testers

That makes sense in the idea that Top Jimmy is not on the same level as Trey or Roczen...but could certainly give good feedback as to if a change or setup was a pass or fail completely. If it was a marked improvement, then it would not only be a good thing for a team rider, but also as ongoing development on the bike itself for guys who ride weekly at their local tracks. The nod would be passed to Trey who could see how it met the challenge of a pro like KR or himself once really put through its paces.
tzmike
9/21/2019 8:52am
My friend at HRC told me that Hansen was also doing testing for them
ML512
Fantasy
36th
9/21/2019 9:21am
tzmike wrote:
My friend at HRC told me that Hansen was also doing testing for them
He’s been doing some data collection suspension stuff for Honda and Showa on outdoors and SX.
Piston Slap
Fantasy
2361st
9/21/2019 9:24am
davistld01 wrote:
That makes sense in the idea that Top Jimmy is not on the same level as Trey or Roczen...but could certainly give good feedback as to...
That makes sense in the idea that Top Jimmy is not on the same level as Trey or Roczen...but could certainly give good feedback as to if a change or setup was a pass or fail completely. If it was a marked improvement, then it would not only be a good thing for a team rider, but also as ongoing development on the bike itself for guys who ride weekly at their local tracks. The nod would be passed to Trey who could see how it met the challenge of a pro like KR or himself once really put through its paces.
You do know that Top Jimmy had a Honda factory ride at one time???

He has also had some pretty significant injuries, but the guy can ride...
mxtech1
9/21/2019 9:36am
davistld01 wrote:
That makes sense in the idea that Top Jimmy is not on the same level as Trey or Roczen...but could certainly give good feedback as to...
You do know that Top Jimmy had a Honda factory ride at one time??? He has also had some pretty significant injuries, but the guy can...
You do know that Top Jimmy had a Honda factory ride at one time???

He has also had some pretty significant injuries, but the guy can ride...
No doubt Jimmy can ride, but he doesn't strike me as the analytical type that can dissect and provide constructive feedback in a highly technical manner. I feel Jimmy's role would be to pound out hours and hours of testing for durability, with some level of basic feedback.

Canard seems to be more analytical, has had a long relationship with HRC, and can take the testing to the next level. Probably working directly with HRC engineers and race team personnel.
kkawboy14
9/21/2019 9:40am
brycepdh wrote:
[img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2019/09/20/374153/s1200_E6997E24_A29B_4B1E_A6C3_DA71ECE3822A.jpg[/img] I came across this on my Instagram feed. The comment states that Albertson is doing testing for Trey Canard and Trey is doing the testing...

He’s joking!

Post a reply to: HRC Honda testing

The Latest