HARLEY DAVIDSON SPEAKS TO "DECLINING BIKE SALES”,BLAMING MILLENIALS.

5/7/2019 10:22am
Hi. Millennial here. I work 50 hours a week, bought a house when I was 22 solely off of my income and support my wife and...
Hi. Millennial here. I work 50 hours a week, bought a house when I was 22 solely off of my income and support my wife and daughter. I’ve purchased several motorcycles in adulthood without financing or help with a single dollar from anyone. I drive a stick shift Toyota, wear Levi’s that fit me well and am cool with gay people getting married and folks smolking pot.

Blanket statements and assumptions suck and so does this thread.
Fellow millennial here. I think it’s cringey when people talk about how old they are when they bought their first house like it’s some kind of honor badge or flair they can pin to their life costume. With that being said.....

Power to you for taking care of business like a man. However being offended by someone generalizing a generation with humor to the point of validating yourself by posting your life resume/tinder bio is VERY millennial-like

I did laugh my ass off at the original post because it was hilarious.
Phantom 661
5/7/2019 10:23am
Maybe we don't want to buy Harley's because they are $30,000 bikes that are not fast, can't stop, can't turn, weigh 800+ pounds, and have a...
Maybe we don't want to buy Harley's because they are $30,000 bikes that are not fast, can't stop, can't turn, weigh 800+ pounds, and have a 50+ year old design..

Always love the "funny" jokes that the "know it all generation" comes up with. Geee wiz there ol' johnny, that was a knee slapper.
Bingo to your first paragraph. 1970's the Japanese we're making bikes that could out stop Harleys 30 -40 years newer. 1 front rotor, single piston caliper on a 700 -800 pound bike? Come on! Their name took them a long way but they took it for granted. Now they're reeping it. The brakes are just one example of being behind the times and Technology.
mattyhamz2
Fantasy
846th
5/7/2019 10:32am
psg119 wrote:
There are a lot of people who have a lot to say about millennials on here. It's all relative. Am I lazy sometimes? Yes. But I...
There are a lot of people who have a lot to say about millennials on here. It's all relative. Am I lazy sometimes? Yes. But I can guarantee you every single person on here is at times. I like to kick back after a long week to have some beers and watch the races. But you can bet your ass I'm a hard worker. I bought my first house at 23. At my new age of 28 now (as of Saturday) my new wife and I are looking to sell my second home to buy a third in a nicer neighborhood to start a family. After the improvements I have made to this house I will also be able to buy a 4th house shortly after we get settled in our new home toward the end of the year with what I make off this sale. ALL of my friends have the same mindset as me. Some may be further than others but they also had better head starts with the way they were raised. In no way are my parents poor and I got to race motorcycles which a lot of other kids never had the opportunity to. But if I screwed up or didn't put in the work for school/training... bye bye racing. My parents taught me to work hard for what I want in life and the value of a hard earned dollar. Some of the people on here know I just recently started riding again with 8 years of not having a bike and not doing what I love. Most of that was due to family reasons and some of it was to help save money to spend on improving my homes. I can save a dollar, spin a wrench, swing a hammer, and can work a computer and smart phone too. And I know a ton of people my age like that, including some on here. It's pretty awesome. My parents raised me this way. That has everything to do with everything. Not what generation I was raised in.
mattyhamz2 wrote:
There are quite a few homes for sale up this way and it's a great area to raise a family. A bunch of local tracks and...
There are quite a few homes for sale up this way and it's a great area to raise a family. A bunch of local tracks and tons of tracks in the hills Whistling
psg119 wrote:
Alisa just got hired at Murrieta Valley School District so we will be heading down that way haha. That would be sick though! Whats the price...
Alisa just got hired at Murrieta Valley School District so we will be heading down that way haha. That would be sick though! Whats the price point up there right now in your area?
Oh nice! Congrats to her!

Where we're at, around $260k-$350k. You get more into SCV, you're more around $450k-$850k
kb228
5/7/2019 10:36am
captmoto wrote:
Dead fucking wrong. Talk to anybody that runs or manages a business, The attitudes of millenials sucks out loud and isn't contained in Berkley at all.
kb228 wrote:
Two public figures; andy frisella & dave ramsey both have a majority of millennials working for their multi million dollar companies and they have nothing but...
Two public figures; andy frisella & dave ramsey both have a majority of millennials working for their multi million dollar companies and they have nothing but good things to say about them.

The attitudes of people unwilling to do something sucks. Its not a millennial problem. Its a problem with losers from every generation. I know more losers that wont work over the age 35 than people my age(25).
psg119 wrote:
I know you mean "nothing but good things to say about them" because I listen to andy from time to time. haha.
Oops. Yes thats what i meant

The Shop

psg119
5/7/2019 10:38am
Exactly. Observer wasn't replying to op. And why would you find it cringey when someone talks about their first home purchase Jeff? It's fine to talk about financial achievements in my opinion. He didn't say anything negative towards anyone that hadn't done that. Also, the op was hilarious. It's the other peoples comments everyone is replying to. If someone told you you suck at racing wouldn't you go show that person what's up to the best of your ability next time on the track?
early
Fantasy
2231st
5/7/2019 10:42am
vdrsnk04 wrote:
So what HD is saying is that the field of possible buyers of their motorcycles is changing, like our ever changing world...but it's the changing world's...
So what HD is saying is that the field of possible buyers of their motorcycles is changing, like our ever changing world...but it's the changing world's fault, not the fault of HD for not adapting to those changes, makes sense...

Then again, it's a typical thought process of HD.

Down the road when HD finally shuts down operations i will not be surprised. I've seen so many companies not adapt to the ever changing world. For all of them the world didn't change back to the past for them to succeed, they stuck to their ways and failed miserably...

Time will tell.

For me as a business owner. I don't care if my buyer is a millennial who only operates through life on a phone, I adjust and sell to them through using a phone, if my buyer is a baby boomer who only likes to operate through phone conversation and no computers, then i only sell to them through phone conversation. This is just an example. But what i am getting at is if you aren't adapting and moving forward, then you are quickly falling behind.
You know Harley didn't actually release the OP's statement right? It was probably written up by Harley salesmen that got bored trying to find their dick under their gut.
psg119
5/7/2019 10:42am Edited Date/Time 5/7/2019 10:44am
mattyhamz2 wrote:
There are quite a few homes for sale up this way and it's a great area to raise a family. A bunch of local tracks and...
There are quite a few homes for sale up this way and it's a great area to raise a family. A bunch of local tracks and tons of tracks in the hills Whistling
psg119 wrote:
Alisa just got hired at Murrieta Valley School District so we will be heading down that way haha. That would be sick though! Whats the price...
Alisa just got hired at Murrieta Valley School District so we will be heading down that way haha. That would be sick though! Whats the price point up there right now in your area?
mattyhamz2 wrote:
Oh nice! Congrats to her!

Where we're at, around $260k-$350k. You get more into SCV, you're more around $450k-$850k
Thanks dude! Thats about what it's at down here. We're looking in Menifee. New builds are upper 3s but you get into Murrieta and its anywhere from 400k-600k (for the house we want). They are developing a ton in Menifee so there's still some upside even with the new build. Plus the build we're looking at comes almost completely upgraded so it'll be nice to not have to do a ton of work on a house for once. haha.
5/7/2019 10:42am
People don't buy new Harley's because they're junk and overpriced. At this point they're relying on the brand name competently as quality has gone out the...
People don't buy new Harley's because they're junk and overpriced. At this point they're relying on the brand name competently as quality has gone out the window.

Older Harley's? That's another subject altogether.
More ignorance and disinformation....

Quality is very good these days on a Harley. I've had mine 10 years...ride the piss out of it and I've had very few and minor issues. I won't say the quality is at the level of Japanese bikes....but the quality sucks drivel is utterly ridiculous.
psg119
5/7/2019 10:43am
early wrote:
You know Harley didn't actually release the OP's statement right? It was probably written up by Harley salesmen that got bored trying to find their dick...
You know Harley didn't actually release the OP's statement right? It was probably written up by Harley salesmen that got bored trying to find their dick under their gut.
LaughingLaughingLaughing
Bearman
5/7/2019 10:49am
Arrrrr, you guys are hurting my feelings. I getting my chalk and heading to the sidewalk.
I ride from NY to the west coast on my geezer guide most years. FYI we invented smoking a fat one. Not the g-z, mill, or g-x. Lighten up and get a laugh.
77Moto
5/7/2019 10:50am
dirtmike86 wrote:
Pretty sure that's not why they invented tpms.
77Moto wrote:
Of course not, but did your verhicle insurance go down because now the vehicle is supposed to be "Safer" with correct pressures all the time? NOPE...
Of course not, but did your verhicle insurance go down because now the vehicle is supposed to be "Safer" with correct pressures all the time? NOPE. And the pressure is never exact anyway. As long as it is "In range"

But it did make people dumber and spend money at the dealer.

What about lane change warning indicators, and all the other crap they add to avoid accidents?
Any of that lower vehicle insurance because you might get into less accidents? NOPE.

Insurance went UP, because the cost to fix all this shit in an accident is way more expensive to fix and you're paying to insure a way more expensive vehicle.

Have accidents decreased? NOPE. Because now instead of people looking before they change lanes, they just yank it over and take out the guy next to them. Or they rear end them hoping the rig will stop itself.

And insurance companies never lose money long term.

Seriously, I don't need my seat to vibrate and a voice warning when I get close to the lane stripes.

Either way, your notion that luxury/automatic features were added to vehicles to target millenials is so far off of the manufacturers' marketing and design demographic target...
Either way, your notion that luxury/automatic features were added to vehicles to target millenials is so far off of the manufacturers' marketing and design demographic target, it is laughable.
You don't read well huh? Or do you post without reading? It's for "safety" but also for stupid people who can't think for themselves or look in a mirror, or back a trailer using the mirrors only.

Most people wouldn't even know how to figure out how to operate a simple air gauge.

Ever read some of the stupid shit people do on here?
I just shake my head.

Bearman
5/7/2019 10:55am
BobKerr wrote:
Harley's have always been an old guy bike. Young guys ride crotch rockets.
Even if they are zip code riders
Bearman
5/7/2019 10:58am
Even if they are zip code riders.
150ripper
5/7/2019 11:04am
Wtf is with this place and the obsession over millennials?? I swear every thread has a jab. One thing us millenials have going for us, though, is our youth. I guess I'd be s***ing my pants too if i realized I was smack dab in the middle of a midlife crisis.
JM485
5/7/2019 11:05am
Fucking thank you, I’m so tired of hearing that stupid “participators trophy” bullshit. Do you really think any of us wanted those stupid things they forced down our throats? Hell no!

Do you think we really want new cars with 50 million useless sensors and “safety features” that jack the price up 2x what it should be? Hell no!

Do you think we want all automatic vehicles? Hell no! I couldn’t even get a stick shift when I bought my van because old people didn’t buy them for years.

Do we want huge houses with no yards packed in like sardines and cost upwards of 700k? Absolutely(and I cannot stress this enough) fucking not!

It’s laughable anyone really believes that’s what young people want, some of you guys are so out of touch it’s just insane. You read one article on Fox News or WSJ and think that’s the be all end all.
mx965
5/7/2019 11:09am
*Broad generalizations follow. If you're a boomer making 40K a year doing manual labor and working 60 hours a week you're not Harley's target demographic anyway...
*Broad generalizations follow. If you're a boomer making 40K a year doing manual labor and working 60 hours a week you're not Harley's target demographic anyway.

Of course a boomer in charge of the company would think the problem is with us. Do they forget about cash strapped millenials that went in to a destroyed workforce ruined by greedy boomers in 2008? His generation created the situation my generation had to walk in to and now they're blaming it on us! LOL!. My generation put our lives on hold while the boomers bailed themselves out and the repercussions were passed down to us... a bunch of entry level workers with little to no assets being asked to help rebuild and "just do what we did" in an economy that changed decades ago.

Reasons why my generation doesn't care about those pieces of shit.
1. Student Loan debt
2. Medical Bills/Health Insurance
3. Underpaid entry level jobs created by Boomers after 2008.
4. (see 4) You now need a 2 income home to afford childcare costs and bills.
5. Overinflated housing/rental market.
6. Overpriced cars/trucks/SUV's catering to the Boomer market.
6. No room for corporate growth because the high earning Boomers stack cash instead of retiring and passing the earnings down. Due to increased quality of life they'd rather work until they're 70 so they can afford lavish shit like a vacation home.

Get back to us when we're 50, all the Boomers have retired, and their over inflated salaries free up some money for the rest of us.
Could not have said it better myself. I love it when (mostly ignorant and angry) older people make ridiculous blanket statements about millennials. They want to ignore, or probably in most cases, are not aware of all of the macroeconomic trends that are in effect for the younger generation. The cost of education is increasing at 8 times the rate of wages, yet, it is just "lazy kids" not putting in the effort lol. Also, I truly believe that most people who make these uninformed kind of statements are not privy to the fact that the millennial generation includes people who are now 38 years old...
psychotronBR
Fantasy
1317th
5/7/2019 11:14am
Millenial here, got a good chuckle from the read, but none of those reasons justify why i don't own a Harley.

You see, i work hard for my money, and i'd rather not spend it on a piece of elephant shit with two wheels attached to it. It's quite simple really. Tongue
Mx4life320
Fantasy
2789th
5/7/2019 11:16am
What about the 20K price tag? Most millenials cant buy a house, or car that price. Now Harley wants them to buy 20K bikes?
user760a
5/7/2019 11:19am
sorry to the hard working, adventure seeking, outdoorsy manly men who just happen to be millenials ....but the truth is that YOU are a dying breed within your generation and among people in general

Now, as far as the HD situation goes, maybe the numbnuts at HD should wake up and realize that not everyone wants to buy grandpa's old putt putt , warmed over 1000 times. Enough of the air cooled, push rod, potato potato nonsense. I am not a millenial and I have never had the slightest interest in HD junk. The costume alone is idiotic, but I could get past that if the bikes were something other than grandpa's old slow shitter in my mind

My most recent new purchase was a KTM 1290 super adventure R... did not even think about buying any of the HD crap
STLSharky
5/7/2019 11:26am
HARLEY DAVIDSON SPEAKS TO "DECLINING BIKE SALES”,BLAMING MILLENIALS. The reasons for the slump in sales at HD are not President Trump's fault, or Harley Davidson's. Apparently...
HARLEY DAVIDSON SPEAKS TO "DECLINING BIKE SALES”,BLAMING MILLENIALS.
The reasons for the slump in sales at HD are not President Trump's fault, or Harley Davidson's.

Apparently the Baby-Boomers all have motorcycles. Generation X is only buying a few, and the next generation isn't buying any at all.

A recent study was done to find out why Millennials don't ride motorcycles:

1. Pants won't pull up far enough for them to straddle the seat.

2. Can't get their phone to their ear with a helmet on.

3. Can't use 2 hands to eat while driving.

4. They don't get a trophy and a recognition plaque just for buying one.

5. Don't have enough muscle to hold the bike up when stopped.

6. Might have a bug hit them in the face and then they would need emergency care.

7. Motorcycles don't have air conditioning.

8. They can't afford one because they spent 12 years in college trying to get a degree in Humanities, Social Studies or Gender Studies for which no jobs are available.

9. They are allergic to fresh air.

10. Their pajamas get caught on the exhaust pipes.

11. They might get their hands dirty checking the oil.

12. The handle bars have buttons and levers and cannot be controlled by touch-screen.

13. You have to shift manually and use something called a clutch.

14. It's too hard to take selfies while riding.

15. They don't come with training wheels like their bicycles did.

16. Motorcycles don't have power steering or power brakes.

17. Their nose ring interferes with the face shield.

18. They would have to use leg muscle to back up.

19. When they stop, a light breeze might blow exhaust in their face.

20. It could rain on them and expose them to non-soft water.

21. It might scare their therapy dog, and then the dog would need therapy.

22. Can't get the motorcycle down the basement stairs of their parent's home.

23. Steady income needed for payments.
dirtmike86 wrote:
Isnt it your generation that raised these fools?
Yes and the Us dept of education
150ripper
5/7/2019 11:31am
user760a wrote:
sorry to the hard working, adventure seeking, outdoorsy manly men who just happen to be millenials ....but the truth is that YOU are a dying breed...
sorry to the hard working, adventure seeking, outdoorsy manly men who just happen to be millenials ....but the truth is that YOU are a dying breed within your generation and among people in general

Now, as far as the HD situation goes, maybe the numbnuts at HD should wake up and realize that not everyone wants to buy grandpa's old putt putt , warmed over 1000 times. Enough of the air cooled, push rod, potato potato nonsense. I am not a millenial and I have never had the slightest interest in HD junk. The costume alone is idiotic, but I could get past that if the bikes were something other than grandpa's old slow shitter in my mind

My most recent new purchase was a KTM 1290 super adventure R... did not even think about buying any of the HD crap
Every generation says that about the one coming after it.
5/7/2019 11:41am
mx965 wrote:
Could not have said it better myself. I love it when (mostly ignorant and angry) older people make ridiculous blanket statements about millennials. They want to...
Could not have said it better myself. I love it when (mostly ignorant and angry) older people make ridiculous blanket statements about millennials. They want to ignore, or probably in most cases, are not aware of all of the macroeconomic trends that are in effect for the younger generation. The cost of education is increasing at 8 times the rate of wages, yet, it is just "lazy kids" not putting in the effort lol. Also, I truly believe that most people who make these uninformed kind of statements are not privy to the fact that the millennial generation includes people who are now 38 years old...
"Back in their day" you could afford college tuition and housing with a part time job at Taco Bueno and still have spending money left over. It's been factually proven with minimum wage vs college tuition statistics from the 70's and 80's. Now you have to be top 2% of your class with a scholarship, go in to copious amounts of debt, or leech off of mommy and daddy's pension/retirement to pay your bills.

I walked that part time employment road for 9 years to graduate and saved myself TONS of money, on top of getting government grants, to help offset costs and still left with a big bill to pay that I'm still paying. I drive a 17 year old S-10 single cab I got in high school because my car payment goes to paying back loans.

We're raising families on "entry level" wages at 33 because there's no corporate growth because old fuck Jerry hasn't earned enough for his $2mil 5 bedroom dream home he can retire in and die in 5 years. And then they have the gall to turn around and blame us for being poor as dirt compared to them but never giving us an opportunity to earn more. Talk about the pot calling the kettle black. Jesus.
Shenzi
Fantasy
1276th
5/7/2019 11:57am
its so fun for some to make jokes on millennial, immigrants, women and everything you can point finger at and blame for anything and everything. Low flying humor always work and thats good cuz everyone deserve a laugh at time.

Regarding ugly piece of unreliable shit H-D bikes, who the heck wants to buy and ride one if not a guy on his way to the hospice. They make me laugh with their cut-sleeves t-shirt acting all tough boys without helmets. Hey I understand guys love them Harleys and love the cult, to each its own, don't fuck with other people's tastes. Stick to the shitty bike if thats what gets you going, leave the rest of us who like actual motorcycles enjoy our own stuff.

At 52, if there's one thing I won't purchase it's a Harley. Got caught making the mistake at 35, won't do it again. Give me a real motorcycle, a 1250GS, an Africa Twin, a Tenere, a Ducati Desert Sled, give me a Katoum 790 Adventurer R, give me fun and real bikes, but a piece of shit HD. Go Millennials! Maybe its time for HD to sell to China and start manufacturing only electric bikes.
Barrett57
5/7/2019 12:09pm
Brad460 wrote:
Typical Millennial- Easily offended...Everything you pointed out everyone else has been doing for years..

Did you want a trophy for leading a normal life?

Prestonb769
5/7/2019 12:23pm
Barrett57 wrote:
[img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2019/05/07/345156/s1200_baby_boomers_dirty_talk.jpg[/img]

This just made my week. Pure Gold.
RexEasely
5/7/2019 12:25pm
when has a motorcycle company advertised great deals to promote buying? It's them not the millenials.
KennyT
Fantasy
233rd
5/7/2019 12:32pm
The majority of people who bash Harley’s can not afford them. It’s like criticizing Ferrari’s, Porsche’s etc because of maintenance cost even if they are inferior than a American made Corvette for a fraction of the cost. I’m 60 now and have ridden/owned almost every bike ever made and nothing can compare to the feel of a HD...except a Indian, which is my other street bike. Reliability? I’ve NEVER had a HD break in me...try maintenance, it’s a wonderful thing. Pirate suits? I wear KTM jackets, sweatshirts and Tees when I ride mine for good visibility....that reason and also because KTM’s are number one off-road ??

You fuckwits that criticize other bikes amaze me. Motorcyclist are a rare breed and we should be one big fraternity. You Fucking pansie asses
71Fish
5/7/2019 12:36pm
JohnnyD13 wrote:
Lol. Sad but true. Try to find one that can drive a stick shift.
Hi. Millennial here. I work 50 hours a week, bought a house when I was 22 solely off of my income and support my wife and...
Hi. Millennial here. I work 50 hours a week, bought a house when I was 22 solely off of my income and support my wife and daughter. I’ve purchased several motorcycles in adulthood without financing or help with a single dollar from anyone. I drive a stick shift Toyota, wear Levi’s that fit me well and am cool with gay people getting married and folks smolking pot.

Blanket statements and assumptions suck and so does this thread.
I think it was a joke, my young millennial butthurt friend.
visser62
5/7/2019 12:36pm
KennyT wrote:
The majority of people who bash Harley’s can not afford them. It’s like criticizing Ferrari’s, Porsche’s etc because of maintenance cost even if they are inferior...
The majority of people who bash Harley’s can not afford them. It’s like criticizing Ferrari’s, Porsche’s etc because of maintenance cost even if they are inferior than a American made Corvette for a fraction of the cost. I’m 60 now and have ridden/owned almost every bike ever made and nothing can compare to the feel of a HD...except a Indian, which is my other street bike. Reliability? I’ve NEVER had a HD break in me...try maintenance, it’s a wonderful thing. Pirate suits? I wear KTM jackets, sweatshirts and Tees when I ride mine for good visibility....that reason and also because KTM’s are number one off-road ??

You fuckwits that criticize other bikes amaze me. Motorcyclist are a rare breed and we should be one big fraternity. You Fucking pansie asses
You sound very tough and are definitely a badass.

Post a reply to: HARLEY DAVIDSON SPEAKS TO "DECLINING BIKE SALES”,BLAMING MILLENIALS.

The Latest