HARLEY DAVIDSON SPEAKS TO "DECLINING BIKE SALES”,BLAMING MILLENIALS.

71Fish
5/9/2019 12:52pm
three9zero wrote:
Cruisers are awesome, if you are into stuff that sucks.
KennyT wrote:
Really? That’s all you can come up with?

Homeschoolers....lord help us
neverwas wrote:
We get you like your Harley,most here don't I have to agree the new Hogs are much better mechanically than the older models. I have ridden...
We get you like your Harley,most here don't I have to agree the new Hogs are much better mechanically than the older models. I have ridden many a Harley and some were OK but some not so much and that is true of many bikes. To each his own.
Not in my case, but probably in most cases.
I have a 1995 Softail with 150,000 miles that has given me very little trouble. Only once was it not self induced.

My 2009 Road King is a different story. I had to replace the antilock brake module because my rear brake froze. Not freaking rear brake. Bike has less than 20,000 miles. Shouldn't have that kind of failure so soon.

I think they put "modern" tech into the bikes but aren't ready.
SX-Andy
5/9/2019 4:16pm
As a Brit, the oil leaks and unreliability shouldn't be to much of a concern but HD has such a small, certain type of image that I could never get in to (think Village People haha). Add to the fact that most of our roads are tight and twisty it doesn't really lend itself to a big cruiser, infact a 125cc twist and go is probably best suited to what we have over here.
Have a BMW s1000rr but its not used on the public roads anymore since anything above 2nd gear isn't an option.
motogrady
5/9/2019 8:53pm Edited Date/Time 5/9/2019 9:10pm
Had an 883 back in the 80s.
Friend of mine had to, ah, take a 3 year vacation.
Didn't want to lose it, so I bought it, took care of it and sold it back to him when he came back.
Adjusted the chain and put gas in it. That was it.
That thing could pull em out of the bars, that's for sure.
Maybe it was the skull and crossbones on the tank.....

Anyway, I've had this thing in my head for a few years now.

I wanna join this club. Well, it's not a club. It's more of a thing. An unwritten kind of club/thing.

For over a century, guys have been riding cross country and back, Atlantic to Pacific, on motorcycles.
And since HD has been around the longest, and best suited to that ride, I kinda want to do it on one
of those.

Why, I don't know.

I mean, I've always been partial to the Honda 750 4s. Had half a dozen of them over the years. Have
2 of them as we speak. Both could do the job, no problem.

But, for some reason I wanna do it on a big dresser.
An 80s Electra Glide maybe.
When they had chain drive, and leaked oil, and shook like a motherfucker.

I've done some long distance before.
Heck, did Baltimore to Unidilla and back when I was 18. Florida in my 20s,

But, I haven't gone long haul in awhile.

My old lady thinks I'm crazy.

But I don't give a crap.

A year an a half I can retire, I can almost taste it.

On the road again.

https://youtu.be/heRyBhKi3kA

The Shop

KennyT
Fantasy
233rd
5/9/2019 9:37pm
motogrady wrote:
Had an 883 back in the 80s. Friend of mine had to, ah, take a 3 year vacation. Didn't want to lose it, so I bought...
Had an 883 back in the 80s.
Friend of mine had to, ah, take a 3 year vacation.
Didn't want to lose it, so I bought it, took care of it and sold it back to him when he came back.
Adjusted the chain and put gas in it. That was it.
That thing could pull em out of the bars, that's for sure.
Maybe it was the skull and crossbones on the tank.....

Anyway, I've had this thing in my head for a few years now.

I wanna join this club. Well, it's not a club. It's more of a thing. An unwritten kind of club/thing.

For over a century, guys have been riding cross country and back, Atlantic to Pacific, on motorcycles.
And since HD has been around the longest, and best suited to that ride, I kinda want to do it on one
of those.

Why, I don't know.

I mean, I've always been partial to the Honda 750 4s. Had half a dozen of them over the years. Have
2 of them as we speak. Both could do the job, no problem.

But, for some reason I wanna do it on a big dresser.
An 80s Electra Glide maybe.
When they had chain drive, and leaked oil, and shook like a motherfucker.

I've done some long distance before.
Heck, did Baltimore to Unidilla and back when I was 18. Florida in my 20s,

But, I haven't gone long haul in awhile.

My old lady thinks I'm crazy.

But I don't give a crap.

A year an a half I can retire, I can almost taste it.

On the road again.

https://youtu.be/heRyBhKi3kA

You have a great dream! If at all possible I highly recommend it. On long highways the heavier the bike the better your trip will be. Much harder to get blown off the road when bike/rider is pushing half a ton. If you ever take that on please do a online journal so we could follow your adventure.
350ss
5/13/2019 7:38am
just wanted to insert this regarding home prices vs income for those who say "its always been that way"

Chance1216
5/16/2019 8:38pm
HARLEY DAVIDSON SPEAKS TO "DECLINING BIKE SALES”,BLAMING MILLENIALS. The reasons for the slump in sales at HD are not President Trump's fault, or Harley Davidson's. Apparently...
The reasons for the slump in sales at HD are not President Trump's fault, or Harley Davidson's.

Apparently the Baby-Boomers all have motorcycles. Generation X is only buying a few, and the next generation isn't buying any at all.

A recent study was done to find out why Millennials don't ride motorcycles:

1. Pants won't pull up far enough for them to straddle the seat.

2. Can't get their phone to their ear with a helmet on.

3. Can't use 2 hands to eat while driving.

4. They don't get a trophy and a recognition plaque just for buying one.

5. Don't have enough muscle to hold the bike up when stopped.

6. Might have a bug hit them in the face and then they would need emergency care.

7. Motorcycles don't have air conditioning.

8. They can't afford one because they spent 12 years in college trying to get a degree in Humanities, Social Studies or Gender Studies for which no jobs are available.

9. They are allergic to fresh air.

10. Their pajamas get caught on the exhaust pipes.

11. They might get their hands dirty checking the oil.

12. The handle bars have buttons and levers and cannot be controlled by touch-screen.

13. You have to shift manually and use something called a clutch.

14. It's too hard to take selfies while riding.

15. They don't come with training wheels like their bicycles did.

16. Motorcycles don't have power steering or power brakes.

17. Their nose ring interferes with the face shield.

18. They would have to use leg muscle to back up.

19. When they stop, a light breeze might blow exhaust in their face.

20. It could rain on them and expose them to non-soft water.

21. It might scare their therapy dog, and then the dog would need therapy.

22. Can't get the motorcycle down the basement stairs of their parent's home.

23. Steady income needed for payments.
dirtmike86 wrote:
Isnt it your generation that raised these fools?
It is our generation. However when society (the law) limits your parenting,teaching, it's not necessarily our fault when our hands are tied a lot of times. Raise your voice your considered abusive cause you hurt the kids feelings. Don't reward your child for doing absolutely nothing your neglecting them. Believe it or not. I was actually fired last year for yelling M***** F***** after smashing my hand on a construction site. Someone found it offensive and complained and pressed the issue. My thinking is, this is construction. And it hurt. Really? Nowadays many youngsters have a sense of entitlement. An unwillingness to break their back for a paycheck. Since this is a subject I have an issue with personally as it was a youngster who complained I will say this. When a 20 year old shows up on my jobsite willing to dig a ditch in the mud and snow along side my 42 year old ass ,doesn't have to borrow tools from other crew members, will work a little extra for overtime of course to help meet a schedule, can be on time, isn't checking his or her phone every twenty minutes. They will have my respect regardless of the age difference. There has been a couple over the years. But in 22 years working construction. That isn't saying much
ohiomotoxer
5/17/2019 1:39am
Mines pretty fast, then so is my GSXR.
I ride, dont matter the make....
dirtmike86
5/17/2019 5:55am Edited Date/Time 5/17/2019 6:19am
HARLEY DAVIDSON SPEAKS TO "DECLINING BIKE SALES”,BLAMING MILLENIALS. The reasons for the slump in sales at HD are not President Trump's fault, or Harley Davidson's. Apparently...
The reasons for the slump in sales at HD are not President Trump's fault, or Harley Davidson's.

Apparently the Baby-Boomers all have motorcycles. Generation X is only buying a few, and the next generation isn't buying any at all.

A recent study was done to find out why Millennials don't ride motorcycles:

1. Pants won't pull up far enough for them to straddle the seat.

2. Can't get their phone to their ear with a helmet on.

3. Can't use 2 hands to eat while driving.

4. They don't get a trophy and a recognition plaque just for buying one.

5. Don't have enough muscle to hold the bike up when stopped.

6. Might have a bug hit them in the face and then they would need emergency care.

7. Motorcycles don't have air conditioning.

8. They can't afford one because they spent 12 years in college trying to get a degree in Humanities, Social Studies or Gender Studies for which no jobs are available.

9. They are allergic to fresh air.

10. Their pajamas get caught on the exhaust pipes.

11. They might get their hands dirty checking the oil.

12. The handle bars have buttons and levers and cannot be controlled by touch-screen.

13. You have to shift manually and use something called a clutch.

14. It's too hard to take selfies while riding.

15. They don't come with training wheels like their bicycles did.

16. Motorcycles don't have power steering or power brakes.

17. Their nose ring interferes with the face shield.

18. They would have to use leg muscle to back up.

19. When they stop, a light breeze might blow exhaust in their face.

20. It could rain on them and expose them to non-soft water.

21. It might scare their therapy dog, and then the dog would need therapy.

22. Can't get the motorcycle down the basement stairs of their parent's home.

23. Steady income needed for payments.
dirtmike86 wrote:
Isnt it your generation that raised these fools?
Chance1216 wrote:
It is our generation. However when society (the law) limits your parenting,teaching, it's not necessarily our fault when our hands are tied a lot of times...
It is our generation. However when society (the law) limits your parenting,teaching, it's not necessarily our fault when our hands are tied a lot of times. Raise your voice your considered abusive cause you hurt the kids feelings. Don't reward your child for doing absolutely nothing your neglecting them. Believe it or not. I was actually fired last year for yelling M***** F***** after smashing my hand on a construction site. Someone found it offensive and complained and pressed the issue. My thinking is, this is construction. And it hurt. Really? Nowadays many youngsters have a sense of entitlement. An unwillingness to break their back for a paycheck. Since this is a subject I have an issue with personally as it was a youngster who complained I will say this. When a 20 year old shows up on my jobsite willing to dig a ditch in the mud and snow along side my 42 year old ass ,doesn't have to borrow tools from other crew members, will work a little extra for overtime of course to help meet a schedule, can be on time, isn't checking his or her phone every twenty minutes. They will have my respect regardless of the age difference. There has been a couple over the years. But in 22 years working construction. That isn't saying much
I was just giving the OP a hard time. Iam only 32 but I've been in construction since I was 17. Had to drop out of school to help my mom pay the bills. I totally see where you are coming from though. Seeing a lot of the younger guys and even guys my age lack of responsibility and work ethic is frustrating. Also iam sure I'd be fired by now if HR heard some of the things I've yelled while being pissed off.
borg
5/17/2019 7:03am
Since I know nothing about or care anything about street bikes, I have ignored this thread until this morning. I guess that speaks to how slow non moto is these days. Anyway, it's actually an entertaining thread. Mainly because it has less to do with street bikes and more to do with inter generational issues. As a boomer, 66, I can only say that I have ZERO to complain about with what my parent's generation handed off to mine but to Mill's I can only apologize for what my POS generation and most of the Xer's has left you to deal with.
Chance1216
5/17/2019 7:43am
dirtmike86 wrote:
I was just giving the OP a hard time. Iam only 32 but I've been in construction since I was 17. Had to drop out of...
I was just giving the OP a hard time. Iam only 32 but I've been in construction since I was 17. Had to drop out of school to help my mom pay the bills. I totally see where you are coming from though. Seeing a lot of the younger guys and even guys my age lack of responsibility and work ethic is frustrating. Also iam sure I'd be fired by now if HR heard some of the things I've yelled while being pissed off.
And that's respectable
peelout
5/17/2019 11:42am Edited Date/Time 5/17/2019 12:00pm
tcannon521
Fantasy
1398th
5/18/2019 9:27pm
kb228 wrote:
40k take home, assume you got 1200 in bills per month(at least in the type of area i live), that leaves 25k to pay off debts...
40k take home, assume you got 1200 in bills per month(at least in the type of area i live), that leaves 25k to pay off debts. its completely doable. Just have to do it and stop blaming everyone but yourself.

Having a victim mentality is why you fail.
My mortgage alone is $1,800 month and we paid 10% down living 40 miles north of Dallas. The rust belt is not a good comparison to...
My mortgage alone is $1,800 month and we paid 10% down living 40 miles north of Dallas.

The rust belt is not a good comparison to the rest of the US. Our local economies are going in opposite directions.
How do you only have $1,200 a month in bills? You must eat PB&J’s 3 times a day, only drink tap water, never use electricity, have a cricket cellphone and bicycle to work. Even then, I don’t think you live on $1,200 a month.
KennyT
Fantasy
233rd
5/18/2019 9:57pm

The line of sold bikes at San Diego HD today. Some areas probably do better than others. 12 months of riding weather may have something to do with it
mikec265
5/19/2019 8:16pm
kb228 wrote:
40k take home, assume you got 1200 in bills per month(at least in the type of area i live), that leaves 25k to pay off debts...
40k take home, assume you got 1200 in bills per month(at least in the type of area i live), that leaves 25k to pay off debts. its completely doable. Just have to do it and stop blaming everyone but yourself.

Having a victim mentality is why you fail.
My mortgage alone is $1,800 month and we paid 10% down living 40 miles north of Dallas. The rust belt is not a good comparison to...
My mortgage alone is $1,800 month and we paid 10% down living 40 miles north of Dallas.

The rust belt is not a good comparison to the rest of the US. Our local economies are going in opposite directions.
tcannon521 wrote:
How do you only have $1,200 a month in bills? You must eat PB&J’s 3 times a day, only drink tap water, never use electricity, have...
How do you only have $1,200 a month in bills? You must eat PB&J’s 3 times a day, only drink tap water, never use electricity, have a cricket cellphone and bicycle to work. Even then, I don’t think you live on $1,200 a month.
You got something against Cricket phones and tap water? I got a caps lock key, and I'm not afraid to use it....
borg
5/20/2019 7:52am
Harley CEO on CNBC sometime after 8:00 am PT this morning.
early
Fantasy
2231st
5/21/2019 6:40am
Oh millennials...

Post a reply to: HARLEY DAVIDSON SPEAKS TO "DECLINING BIKE SALES”,BLAMING MILLENIALS.

The Latest