HARLEY DAVIDSON SPEAKS TO "DECLINING BIKE SALES”,BLAMING MILLENIALS.

Johnny Depp
Edited Date/Time 5/19/2019 8:16pm
The reasons for the slump in sales at HD are not President Trump's fault, or Harley Davidson's.

Apparently the Baby-Boomers all have motorcycles. Generation X is only buying a few, and the next generation isn't buying any at all.

A recent study was done to find out why Millennials don't ride motorcycles:

1. Pants won't pull up far enough for them to straddle the seat.

2. Can't get their phone to their ear with a helmet on.

3. Can't use 2 hands to eat while driving.

4. They don't get a trophy and a recognition plaque just for buying one.

5. Don't have enough muscle to hold the bike up when stopped.

6. Might have a bug hit them in the face and then they would need emergency care.

7. Motorcycles don't have air conditioning.

8. They can't afford one because they spent 12 years in college trying to get a degree in Humanities, Social Studies or Gender Studies for which no jobs are available.

9. They are allergic to fresh air.

10. Their pajamas get caught on the exhaust pipes.

11. They might get their hands dirty checking the oil.

12. The handle bars have buttons and levers and cannot be controlled by touch-screen.

13. You have to shift manually and use something called a clutch.

14. It's too hard to take selfies while riding.

15. They don't come with training wheels like their bicycles did.

16. Motorcycles don't have power steering or power brakes.

17. Their nose ring interferes with the face shield.

18. They would have to use leg muscle to back up.

19. When they stop, a light breeze might blow exhaust in their face.

20. It could rain on them and expose them to non-soft water.

21. It might scare their therapy dog, and then the dog would need therapy.

22. Can't get the motorcycle down the basement stairs of their parent's home.

23. Steady income needed for payments.
|
sam hain
5/7/2019 5:58am
Most probably don't want to dress like a pirate and fight everybody for no reason. Or fix constant oil leaks.
JohnnyD13
5/7/2019 6:00am
Lol. Sad but true. Try to find one that can drive a stick shift.
JM485
5/7/2019 6:02am
So much facepalmPinch

That was cringeworthy dude.
observeroffacts
Fantasy
3717th
5/7/2019 6:04am Edited Date/Time 5/7/2019 6:06am
JohnnyD13 wrote:
Hi. Millennial here. I work 50 hours a week, bought a house when I was 22 solely off of my income and support my wife and daughter. I’ve purchased several motorcycles in adulthood without financing or help with a single dollar from anyone. I drive a stick shift Toyota, wear Levi’s that fit me well and am cool with gay people getting married and folks smolking pot.

Blanket statements and assumptions suck and so does this thread.

The Shop

dirtmike86
5/7/2019 6:05am
HARLEY DAVIDSON SPEAKS TO "DECLINING BIKE SALES”,BLAMING MILLENIALS. The reasons for the slump in sales at HD are not President Trump's fault, or Harley Davidson's. Apparently...
The reasons for the slump in sales at HD are not President Trump's fault, or Harley Davidson's.

Apparently the Baby-Boomers all have motorcycles. Generation X is only buying a few, and the next generation isn't buying any at all.

A recent study was done to find out why Millennials don't ride motorcycles:

1. Pants won't pull up far enough for them to straddle the seat.

2. Can't get their phone to their ear with a helmet on.

3. Can't use 2 hands to eat while driving.

4. They don't get a trophy and a recognition plaque just for buying one.

5. Don't have enough muscle to hold the bike up when stopped.

6. Might have a bug hit them in the face and then they would need emergency care.

7. Motorcycles don't have air conditioning.

8. They can't afford one because they spent 12 years in college trying to get a degree in Humanities, Social Studies or Gender Studies for which no jobs are available.

9. They are allergic to fresh air.

10. Their pajamas get caught on the exhaust pipes.

11. They might get their hands dirty checking the oil.

12. The handle bars have buttons and levers and cannot be controlled by touch-screen.

13. You have to shift manually and use something called a clutch.

14. It's too hard to take selfies while riding.

15. They don't come with training wheels like their bicycles did.

16. Motorcycles don't have power steering or power brakes.

17. Their nose ring interferes with the face shield.

18. They would have to use leg muscle to back up.

19. When they stop, a light breeze might blow exhaust in their face.

20. It could rain on them and expose them to non-soft water.

21. It might scare their therapy dog, and then the dog would need therapy.

22. Can't get the motorcycle down the basement stairs of their parent's home.

23. Steady income needed for payments.
Isnt it your generation that raised these fools?
kb228
5/7/2019 6:11am
People who make comments like that about millennials are really out of touch. Youre talking about a small percentage of students at berkley in california. Not millennials
Barrett57
5/7/2019 6:12am
Give them time, have any millenals gained the prerequisites of no hair, obesity and a face like a slab of Gammon that comes with middle aged men on harleys yet?
footglove
5/7/2019 6:16am
I'd buy a Harley, but I can't afford all of the other seemingly required accessories. Harley, boots, Harley clothes, Harley stickers for my truck, Harley badged F-150....... Harley riders are the cross fit guys of the motorcycle world. Has to be in your face that they ride a Harley.
creature654
Fantasy
79th
5/7/2019 6:21am
Orrrrrrrrr Harley’s (and street bikes in general) are lame as fuck
JohnnyD13
5/7/2019 6:21am
JohnnyD13 wrote:
Hi. Millennial here. I work 50 hours a week, bought a house when I was 22 solely off of my income and support my wife and...
Hi. Millennial here. I work 50 hours a week, bought a house when I was 22 solely off of my income and support my wife and daughter. I’ve purchased several motorcycles in adulthood without financing or help with a single dollar from anyone. I drive a stick shift Toyota, wear Levi’s that fit me well and am cool with gay people getting married and folks smolking pot.

It’s ok buddy. I didn’t mean to get you upset. If you don’t fit into any of those categories no big deal. It’s more a funny thing then a serous thing to me. I’m very proud of what you’ve accomplished.
5/7/2019 6:38am
Why buy a Harley?

Just go to a any rally in the area and follow the guided ride in a pick up truck.

You should be able to score enough parts that have fallen off to build several of them by the end of the day.
Park Boys
Fantasy
32nd
5/7/2019 6:39am
Harley in my opinion is the greatest marketing company of all time, how else did they convince people to buy them. Hands down the worst motorcycles I have ever ridden.
Zesiger 112
Fantasy
2020th
5/7/2019 6:42am
I'd say a good precentage of people on vital fall under the millennial category. However we all have an interest in motorcycles, work on them and for them and enjoy getting dirty. So your wide view of all young people falls flat. I agree a lot of people my age are complete ass hats.
While I will admit your jokes about Millennials are hilarious nobody on here gives 2 shits about what it takes to be a Harley Davidson rider
5/7/2019 6:42am
I don't know about in the U.S but in Canada most millennials are barely getting by, let alone buying excessive depreciating assets.
zippytech
5/7/2019 6:45am
Buying a Harley has nothing to do with it. for the most part young people are not buying any motorcycles.
Zesiger 112
Fantasy
2020th
5/7/2019 6:56am
zippytech wrote:
Buying a Harley has nothing to do with it. for the most part young people are not buying any motorcycles.
We do buy motorcycles, we just buy them a few months later used after the old guys take the 3k hit. Dealer data trends won't show that.
Flip109
5/7/2019 7:04am
Some people have no sense of humor. I chuckled most the way through Laughing and the post about dressing up like pirates bahaha!

I won’t buy a harley simply because I don’t ride street bikes. Although a blast to ride and a cool experience. You hit to big a fucking raccoon or some dumbass is texting and sideswipes you, you will be toast. No thanks lol I don’t mind going out while riding but not like that! Dry
OldHalfway
5/7/2019 7:07am
Harleys (for the most part) are status symbols or mid life crisis machines. And again, for what they cost, junk. If you're building a custom from the frame up, that's cool, I respect that. If you are buying one and trailering it to the dealer to have your oil changed you're a kook.

Seems that most of the younger people have bought up all the old CBs and the rest of the Japanese bikes at a fraction.
mikec265
5/7/2019 7:08am
Most millennials and Harley's both suck. So do people without a sense of humor. I fall between millennials and gen x which isn't much better.
I would like a time machine to go bring back baby boomers and traditionalist to my business. And just so I don't offend too many snowflakes with girl pants and tramp stamps, there are exceptions!
Stereotypes exist for a reason.
Zacka 161
Fantasy
2033rd
5/7/2019 7:09am
My mum had a Honda CT110, then got a Ducati Monster then got a Harley to fit in with the crowd in her area. She said it handles worse than the CT110 and sold it 2 weeks later and bought a Triumph Bonneville and loves it.

Harley’s are absolute total trash in ever conceivable way except for the completely image focussed Boomers who want to look cool in front of their boomer friends.
bh84
Fantasy
1830th
5/7/2019 7:17am Edited Date/Time 5/8/2019 7:40am
Millenials are between 23-38 now. I find is hilarious that we get blamed for all kinds of things when its really Gen Zers that have brought in things like the Tide Pod challenge, Fortnite, and vape tricks.

Don't lump us in with them.

Also, I wouldn't buy a Harley because they are absolute dog shit.

A couple years ago I was working the Kawasaki booth at the Edmonton bike show, the Harley booth beside us had the "new" Milwaukee 8 motor on display with a big cutout. I asked the guy there what was special about the new engine and his answer was `well, its got 8 valves, thats why its called the Milwaukee 8"

Their newest engine, and the big selling point is something that other MFGs have been using for 30+ years. nofucknthankyou
5/7/2019 7:21am Edited Date/Time 5/7/2019 7:24am
bh84 wrote:
Millenials are between 23-38 now. I find is hilarious that we get blamed for all kinds of things when its really Gen Zers that have brought...
Millenials are between 23-38 now. I find is hilarious that we get blamed for all kinds of things when its really Gen Zers that have brought in things like the Tide Pod challenge, Fortnite, and vape tricks.

Don't lump us in with them.

Also, I wouldn't buy a Harley because they are absolute dog shit.

A couple years ago I was working the Kawasaki booth at the Edmonton bike show, the Harley booth beside us had the "new" Milwaukee 8 motor on display with a big cutout. I asked the guy there what was special about the new engine and his answer was `well, its got 8 valves, thats why its called the Milwaukee 8"

Their newest engine, and the big selling point is something that other MFGs have been using for 30+ years. nofucknthankyou
?

Gen X are like 40 to 55+. They are into Tide Pod challenge and Fortnite?

Maybe you mean Gen Z?
ATKpilot99
5/7/2019 7:34am
Hi. Millennial here. I work 50 hours a week, bought a house when I was 22 solely off of my income and support my wife and...

Congratulations. Now find a sense of humor.
early
Fantasy
2212th
5/7/2019 7:37am Edited Date/Time 5/7/2019 7:44am
This thread is more racist than the Ferrandis one.
sam hain
5/7/2019 7:39am
HR manager at the company I worked for in college was a Harley poser. 11months of the year he was clean cut, high end cloths, clean shaved, neat haircut. A month before bike week he stopped shaving and let he hair grow, dude would go to bike week in Daytona with a scruffy beard and long hair (dress like a pirate Smile ) and put on the Harley tough guy act for a week then come back with a haircut and cleaned shaved again. People in the company caught on to what he was doing and talked about him behind his back and laughed at him. Sad IMO to do all that shit to fit in and be someone you're not just to impress people.
BobKerr
5/7/2019 7:40am
Harley's have always been an old guy bike. Young guys ride crotch rockets.
ob
5/7/2019 7:41am
New Harley's are so lame of course they can't sell them. But try buying an old ass FXR. Butter start bending over.
UpTiTe
Fantasy
4091st
5/7/2019 7:50am
If you know the scene, you know they are into bikes, just not anything Harley offers.
JohnnyD13
5/7/2019 7:51am
early wrote:
This thread is more racist than the Ferrandis one.
What’s racist about this?

Post a reply to: HARLEY DAVIDSON SPEAKS TO "DECLINING BIKE SALES”,BLAMING MILLENIALS.

The Latest