H3 and Indy 3 right hand first turns.

Press516
Fantasy
111th
1/21/2021 2:24pm Edited Date/Time 1/27/2021 5:56pm
I love when they switch it up and go right hand first turns. And a really short start straight at H3 to boot... Should be some great action.

|
vet323
1/21/2021 2:28pm
First turns where a rider can't use the rear brake are always good for action....
zookrider62!
Fantasy
975th
1/21/2021 2:41pm
vet323 wrote:
First turns where a rider can't use the rear brake are always good for action....
Has this ever been proven/tracked? We always hear that right hand starts are dangerous but I can’t think of any that have proven to cause more carnage

It would be nice if someone actually looked into some data to see which start causes the most pile ups

Is 90 degree more hazardous then a sweeper?
Is a long start safer than a short start?
Is left truly safer than right?
STLSharky
1/21/2021 2:41pm
Press516 wrote:
I love when they switch it up and go right hand first turns. And a really short start straight at H3 to boot... Should be some...
I love when they switch it up and go right hand first turns. And a really short start straight at H3 to boot... Should be some great action.

love it!
TooTallJason
Fantasy
979th
1/21/2021 2:46pm
vet323 wrote:
Has this ever been proven/tracked? We always hear that right hand starts are dangerous but I can’t think of any that have proven to cause more...
Has this ever been proven/tracked? We always hear that right hand starts are dangerous but I can’t think of any that have proven to cause more carnage

It would be nice if someone actually looked into some data to see which start causes the most pile ups

I mean c'mon don't you know that professionals brake the correct way. You know, in the middle of a turn while seated.

The Shop

vet323
1/21/2021 2:54pm
vet323 wrote:
Has this ever been proven/tracked? We always hear that right hand starts are dangerous but I can’t think of any that have proven to cause more...

I guess we will have some data in a week or so!Tongue
Press516
Fantasy
111th
1/21/2021 2:57pm Edited Date/Time 1/21/2021 2:57pm
vet323 wrote:

It's certainly not an extreme difference... But it's a tool that's not as readily available. And it really only comes in to play when there's 20 guys scrapping for a small amount of track. You can roll out of the throttle, but can't really stab the brake to avoid something.

I think a long start creates more separation, but also higher speeds... So a short start with a right hander has the guys pretty bunched up and "could" make for some excitement. That doesn't necessarily mean carnage or dangerous.

As a racer (long time ago) I always loved going to tracks with right hand first turns... Always a few guys on the line that were less aggressive going in there.

Just my opinion.
vet323
1/21/2021 3:03pm
I'm biased, my worst moto injury (broken neck) happened on a right-hand first turn. The guy who clipped me and knocked me down specifically brought up not being able to stab his back brake. None of the guys who ran me over mentioned it, though.
MXRACER428
Fantasy
316th
1/21/2021 3:29pm
My family has owned 2 tracks over the last 20 years and both had/have right hand first turns. Both had/have very few first turn crashes. One was a short tight turn and the other a longer more sweeping turn. I truly don’t think left or right hand is worse then the other. Look at H2 it was left and had a lot of first turn carnage.
Sully
1/21/2021 5:16pm
However they do it, I'm just glad they're not coming back across the first turn one turn later like last week. That was a bit too much.
nealb129
1/21/2021 6:07pm
Didn’t a right hand start take out Stewart and rv2?? Tampa maybe?
aeffertz
1/21/2021 6:12pm
Might be an unpopular opinion but I like the short starts in SX. A full football field length start just takes up too much real estate for only 5 seconds of race. Make it a short start, slow down the first turn and let them race through the pack if they didn't get the holeshot.
mxbigd17
1/21/2021 6:24pm
nealb129 wrote:
Jacksonville 2011, 90 degree right handed my seats were 10 rows up from the crash.
hamncheeze
1/21/2021 6:33pm
nealb129 wrote:
mxbigd17 wrote:
Jacksonville 2011, 90 degree right handed my seats were 10 rows up from the crash.
Super moon, short start straight, and a right handed first turn. Chaos ensued. Man that was such a crazy good season.
mmain62
1/22/2021 5:31am
I think I am more interested in landing that triple into the sand. Might make some action
HD1200
1/22/2021 5:58am
vet323 wrote:

I mean c'mon don't you know that professionals brake the correct way. You know, in the middle of a turn while seated.
Agree! Also isn't it somewhere in the neighborhood of around 80% of your braking is achieved with the use of the front brakes which are hand controlled?
mx 219
Fantasy
1150th
1/22/2021 6:04am
Sully wrote:
However they do it, I'm just glad they're not coming back across the first turn one turn later like last week. That was a bit too...
However they do it, I'm just glad they're not coming back across the first turn one turn later like last week. That was a bit too much.
You mean like they are going to do at Indy 1?

I pointed this out on here and basically got downvotes. Common sense isn't so common these days.

Press516
Fantasy
111th
1/22/2021 6:36am

HD1200 wrote:
Agree! Also isn't it somewhere in the neighborhood of around 80% of your braking is achieved with the use of the front brakes which are hand...
Agree! Also isn't it somewhere in the neighborhood of around 80% of your braking is achieved with the use of the front brakes which are hand controlled?
In a normal corner, yes you guys are absolutely right... But the first turn is never normal. The first 2-3 guys with nobody in front of them are just jamming through, but behind them, there's a bunch of "stuff" going on, dodging, diving, braking, crashing, etc.
IWreckALot
1/22/2021 9:37am
I'm just glad the first rhythm lane doesn't cut back across the first corner like it did at H2. That was pretty poor planning.
motoxxx599
Fantasy
1009th
1/22/2021 10:42am
vet323 wrote:

Is 90 degree more hazardous than a sweeper? Riders on the outside get pushed off the track more than in a 180 (ie: Unidilla)

Is a long start safer than a short start? A long start creates separation coming into the first corner where there is more of a chance several riders coming into the first turn together on a short start.

Is left truly safer than right? twice the brakes, twice the control?
1/23/2021 1:24am
It's dumb in my eyes short start straight leads to more crashes, why not make it right handed, why make it jump back across the start straight right away again. The lcq starts are going to carnage
Boomslang
Fantasy
657th
1/23/2021 2:42am
vet323 wrote:
At Pro level these guys easily navigate a right hand start corner. They are done breaking by the time the right leg comes out and are already on the gas.
Sully
1/23/2021 3:14am
Sully wrote:
However they do it, I'm just glad they're not coming back across the first turn one turn later like last week. That was a bit too...
mx 219 wrote:
You mean like they are going to do at Indy 1? [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2021/01/22/474200/s1200_INDY_1.jpg[/img] I pointed this out on here and basically got downvotes. Common sense isn't so...

I pointed this out on here and basically got downvotes. Common sense isn't so common these days.

Man, I really hope they amend that after the carnage in Houston. Especially coming off of a whoop pad, where they’ll have more speed than they did coming out of Houston’s rhythm section.
mxracer816
Fantasy
2838th
1/23/2021 4:40am
I can't believe no one is bitching about the start straight going right into a rythym section. I mean I for one could care less, but at one point everyone on here seemed to think that was a horrible idea...
1/23/2021 11:29am
Villopotto missed the main event one year at a race with a right hand first turn. He got tangled up in a crash during the LCQ.
bigk218
Fantasy
3130th
1/23/2021 11:51am
Word on the street, Honda is running their brake on the left side.
Press516
Fantasy
111th
1/27/2021 2:43pm Edited Date/Time 1/27/2021 2:44pm
Sully wrote:
mx 219 wrote:
You mean like they are going to do at Indy 1? [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2021/01/22/474200/s1200_INDY_1.jpg[/img] I pointed this out on here and basically got downvotes. Common sense isn't so...

Sully wrote:
Man, I really hope they amend that after the carnage in Houston. Especially coming off of a whoop pad, where they’ll have more speed than they...
Man, I really hope they amend that after the carnage in Houston. Especially coming off of a whoop pad, where they’ll have more speed than they did coming out of Houston’s rhythm section.
This one looks sketchy as hell... Down in turn 1 and the pack is going to be on you quick. Double - Double and a short whoop section.
1/27/2021 3:43pm
mx 219 wrote:

Coming back around after whoops is double sketch.
deanwhite51
Fantasy
2550th
1/27/2021 4:29pm
I dont understand the issue.
I hate that we keep making tracks "safe".

back off and ride to the ability if you feel its unsafe.
their pro riders.
They should be able to make simple corners like this.
1/27/2021 5:56pm
Press516 wrote:
I love when they switch it up and go right hand first turns. And a really short start straight at H3 to boot... Should be some...

I wish they would mix the tracks up a bit. I loved that single jump right out of the corner. The sx tracks flow too much in my opinion. Look at the sx tracks in the 80s and 90s.

Post a reply to: H3 and Indy 3 right hand first turns.

The Latest