Gypsy Tales w Ryno

soggy
Fantasy
3846th
Edited Date/Time 5/10/2021 12:13pm
It definitely won’t be for everyone but it’s really good. I suggest skipping the first 30 minutes if you just want to hear about moto/riding/technique
|
Titan1
4/16/2021 8:57am
Ryno has figured out how to teach technique, because he understands it so well...if he was closer to me I'd pay whatever he charges for a one on one riding school with him, and that would benefit me more than any bike mod I could ever make.
soggy
Fantasy
3846th
4/16/2021 9:12am
Titan1 wrote:
Ryno has figured out how to teach technique, because he understands it so well...if he was closer to me I'd pay whatever he charges for a...
Ryno has figured out how to teach technique, because he understands it so well...if he was closer to me I'd pay whatever he charges for a one on one riding school with him, and that would benefit me more than any bike mod I could ever make.
I agree. And I have some background in ski coaching and teaching and a lot of it is very similar. The great thing is if you know his technique and are aware enough of your body and what you are feeling you can teach yourself. Obviously having him there is great and I will be doing one of his classes soon.
langhammx
Fantasy
455th
4/16/2021 9:36am
Riding coach ~ He’s not for everyone, but he’s got plenty of knowledge and can benefit most in riding techniques. His nutrition coaching has been a hard one to get his students to latch onto. Lol

Life coach ~ I don’t know about that. Although he has a lot of great points and has some great life experiences, he’s gotten a little further down the rabbit hole ! I’m sure there are some who agree with his views, but he’s hard to listen to when he’s shrooming ! Lol
seth505
Fantasy
1092nd
4/16/2021 10:46am
I like the part where he explains that weight down low on the bike is better and that's why the cable is the highest thing on the bike...speaking of high.

The Shop

mccread
4/16/2021 11:43am
A lot of his technique is basically how Everts did it?
soggy
Fantasy
3846th
4/16/2021 11:50am
mccread wrote:
I don’t know if he claims to have invented the technique but he is one of the few guys out there teaching it and able to explain how the body and bike need to work together. AJ Catanzaro is the other that comes to mind immediately.

I’ve done a class with another well known coach and he couldn’t even begin to explain technique to the level Hughes can. And he actually tried to tell me not to grip the bike with my legs and ride on my toes. I got some good things out of it, but not on the technique side.
Titan1
4/16/2021 12:35pm
mccread wrote:
soggy wrote:
I don’t know if he claims to have invented the technique but he is one of the few guys out there teaching it and able to...
I don’t know if he claims to have invented the technique but he is one of the few guys out there teaching it and able to explain how the body and bike need to work together. AJ Catanzaro is the other that comes to mind immediately.

I’ve done a class with another well known coach and he couldn’t even begin to explain technique to the level Hughes can. And he actually tried to tell me not to grip the bike with my legs and ride on my toes. I got some good things out of it, but not on the technique side.
Right...he didn't invent the technique, but is just one of the best at teaching it. I'd love to hear what he thinks of Everts riding technique...I'm thinking he'll have high praise for it.

Here is how Kurt Caselli taught it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WEkHcAv3UYk&list=FLAvCVmG4AniS2BtV4d6DH…
4/16/2021 1:06pm
langhammx wrote:
Riding coach ~ He’s not for everyone, but he’s got plenty of knowledge and can benefit most in riding techniques. His nutrition coaching has been a...
Riding coach ~ He’s not for everyone, but he’s got plenty of knowledge and can benefit most in riding techniques. His nutrition coaching has been a hard one to get his students to latch onto. Lol

Life coach ~ I don’t know about that. Although he has a lot of great points and has some great life experiences, he’s gotten a little further down the rabbit hole ! I’m sure there are some who agree with his views, but he’s hard to listen to when he’s shrooming ! Lol
Just gotta meet him on his level! Lol

"I stopped explaining myself when I realized people only understand from their level of perception."

Honestly, it's simply about being present and feeling.
Leeham
Fantasy
3084th
4/16/2021 1:16pm
Coming off my arches of my feet to my balls of my feet has stabilized my bike immensely. Hands down my best level of improvment
Yeti831
4/16/2021 1:24pm
I guess I’m in the minority that doesn’t mind any shortcomings or nuances with GT.

Any natural conversion with industry peeps has so far been a great listen.
jk367
4/16/2021 1:30pm
Yeti831 wrote:
I guess I’m in the minority that doesn’t mind any shortcomings or nuances with GT. Any natural conversion with industry peeps has so far been a...
I guess I’m in the minority that doesn’t mind any shortcomings or nuances with GT.

Any natural conversion with industry peeps has so far been a great listen.
I actually started listening recently and also like it. He gets some great guests. Pulp is still my number one but I like GT also
toomanykaws
4/16/2021 2:24pm
Rode with many riders who stand almost all the time. Have their toes pointed towards the engraved cases. And grip the frame nonstop with their knees. Doesn’t work for everyone. See lot those guys crash constantly. Go back and watch some the later 80s and early 90s MX nationals and see how many of the top pros were on the bike. It’s interesting.
soggy
Fantasy
3846th
4/16/2021 2:44pm Edited Date/Time 4/16/2021 2:45pm
Rode with many riders who stand almost all the time. Have their toes pointed towards the engraved cases. And grip the frame nonstop with their knees...
Rode with many riders who stand almost all the time. Have their toes pointed towards the engraved cases. And grip the frame nonstop with their knees. Doesn’t work for everyone. See lot those guys crash constantly. Go back and watch some the later 80s and early 90s MX nationals and see how many of the top pros were on the bike. It’s interesting.
It takes a lot of time and focus to change technique. His point isn’t you can’t ride a bike another way but to do it as safe as possible.

When you are trying to change something as drastic as how you ride the bike you might be more likely to fall because the sensations are all new to you and your body doesn’t have the muscle memory of doing it another way. But I think it’s hard to argue with his ideas on body positioning (toes in, knees back, hips out, straight back, head up)
Titan1
4/16/2021 2:48pm Edited Date/Time 4/16/2021 2:57pm
Rode with many riders who stand almost all the time. Have their toes pointed towards the engraved cases. And grip the frame nonstop with their knees...
Just like everything else, technique has IMPROVED so much over the past decades. Bikes get better, and fitness programs get better, safety equipment gets better, the understanding of technique has also gotten better.

So I'm sure a lot of pros from the 80's and 90's (and even some fast guys today) went fast on the arches of their feet (or with other technique flaws)...but that doesn't mean its the correct way to ride a dirt bike.

If you watch virtually all the pros today...especially off road...they all stand up virtually all the time...the further back in the pack you get (where the slower and less skilled riders are), the more you see guys sitting down.

Standing up, on balls of the feet, butt out, knees behind the toes, back straight, elbows up, head over the handlebars, bent at the waste...is the correct way to ride a dirt bike 95% of the time (corners, uphills, heavy acceleration are among a few of the exceptions). It's not really up for debate in my opinion...and just because somebody can go faster than you (or me) who doesn't ride that way...or just because somebody that rides that way is slower than you (or me) or they crash a lot...or just because its uncomfortable to you or anyone else (it was uncomfortable to me at first too, and I'm not perfect at it, the more I do it the more natural it feels and the more efficient I am on the bike)...doesn't make it incorrect.
DC
4/16/2021 3:13pm
mccread wrote:
Pretty much everyone's riding style should be influenced by Stefan Everts! He was amazing to watch on a motocross track, just like Jeremy in supercross...

DC
Racer X
bd
4/16/2021 4:06pm Edited Date/Time 4/16/2021 4:08pm
I trained with Ryno, and he's a great human. An awesome human being who studies the sport and does his best to teach riders. It would be interesting if he worked with Marv.

He will drill you with fundamentals. We see the best in other sports, practice fundmentals over and over... thats something that Ryno does as well.
BigBoreFan58
4/16/2021 4:28pm
One thing Ryno got 100% correct, riding a motorcycle aggressively puts one in the now. It doesn't matter what it is , moto, off-road, pushing a 450LB ADV bike hard on a dirt-road, you kick up the pace and the brain focuses and you are in the moment. That's the addiction I guess.

bd
4/16/2021 4:38pm
One thing Ryno got 100% correct, riding a motorcycle aggressively puts one in the now. It doesn't matter what it is , moto, off-road, pushing a...
One thing Ryno got 100% correct, riding a motorcycle aggressively puts one in the now. It doesn't matter what it is , moto, off-road, pushing a 450LB ADV bike hard on a dirt-road, you kick up the pace and the brain focuses and you are in the moment. That's the addiction I guess.

Being present is peace. Not sure I'll call it addiction, but the rider's mind is still.
Bruce372
4/16/2021 4:48pm
I know he has his quirks, but its always interesting listening to him.

For the 350s, I am not sure that will happen across the board when electric bikes get traction.

With many of the big auto companies proposing all electric line ups within the next decade its hard to imagine motorcycle manufacturers putting more effort into the development of many more ICE engines
BD233
4/16/2021 5:55pm Edited Date/Time 4/16/2021 5:55pm
Ryno is absolutely a great coach. No bullshit. Strait to the point. No whining. No excuses. If my son raced he’d be my first choice as a coach.
kage173
4/16/2021 7:00pm
mccread wrote:
DC wrote:
Pretty much everyone's riding style should be influenced by Stefan Everts! He was amazing to watch on a motocross track, just like Jeremy in supercross... DC...
Pretty much everyone's riding style should be influenced by Stefan Everts! He was amazing to watch on a motocross track, just like Jeremy in supercross...

DC
Racer X
Love watching MXDN vids of Everts vs USA. so different...especially vs RC. He rarely sits down.

Deano is the closest to Everts style of all the current guys.
crowe660
Fantasy
4049th
4/16/2021 7:57pm Edited Date/Time 4/16/2021 7:58pm
I love Ryno, but on Gypsy, he’s sounding like he could use some time back on the island with the chickens. His WTS appearance was a lot more laid back and peaceful. His comments at the end of Gypsy were intense lol. Island Ryno > Temecula Ryno
4/17/2021 8:30am
mccread wrote:
DC wrote:
Pretty much everyone's riding style should be influenced by Stefan Everts! He was amazing to watch on a motocross track, just like Jeremy in supercross... DC...

DC
Racer X
kage173 wrote:
Love watching MXDN vids of Everts vs USA. so different...especially vs RC. He rarely sits down. Deano is the closest to Everts style of all the...
Love watching MXDN vids of Everts vs USA. so different...especially vs RC. He rarely sits down.

Yeah Everts vs USA are Great races. He beat JS7 in moto 3 in 06, they had a great battle. Everts riding style and his riding in his comfort zone and beating JS7 says something about riding position. Emig vs Everts on 125,s races where intense also. I looked at my boots most of the wear is on the balls of my feet, some on arches you need to be on arches too. For getting weight back on a 125. I don’t really get the toes pointed in deal. On a 125 your constantly shifting, I ride with my foot ready on the rear brake. Being close to 6,2 is more natural to stand than sit.
Titan1
4/17/2021 11:02am
DC wrote:

DC
Racer X
kage173 wrote:
Love watching MXDN vids of Everts vs USA. so different...especially vs RC. He rarely sits down. Deano is the closest to Everts style of all the...

Yeah Everts vs USA are Great races. He beat JS7 in moto 3 in 06, they had a great battle. Everts riding style and his riding...
Yeah Everts vs USA are Great races. He beat JS7 in moto 3 in 06, they had a great battle. Everts riding style and his riding in his comfort zone and beating JS7 says something about riding position. Emig vs Everts on 125,s races where intense also. I looked at my boots most of the wear is on the balls of my feet, some on arches you need to be on arches too. For getting weight back on a 125. I don’t really get the toes pointed in deal. On a 125 your constantly shifting, I ride with my foot ready on the rear brake. Being close to 6,2 is more natural to stand than sit.
When your toes are pointed in, your knees naturally squeeze the bike when you bend them.

Just standing on the ground...Point your toes out, bend your knees...knees naturally go out.
Point your toes in, bend your knees...knees naturally go in.

It helps you stay on the bike with no additional effort.
seth505
Fantasy
1092nd
4/17/2021 11:30am
I do agree with his take on 450s though, 100%.
bh
4/17/2021 12:09pm
soggy wrote:
I agree. And I have some background in ski coaching and teaching and a lot of it is very similar. The great thing is if you...
I agree. And I have some background in ski coaching and teaching and a lot of it is very similar. The great thing is if you know his technique and are aware enough of your body and what you are feeling you can teach yourself. Obviously having him there is great and I will be doing one of his classes soon.
I myself am a master in both the pizza technique and the french fry technique. One thing that rang very true for me is that it’s hard to pick up on a new technique if you’re not feeling the benefit of it. I assume that’s why he said he tells his guys to ride at 75% when learning new stuff. So they can focus on feeling the difference and not going fast.
crowe660
Fantasy
4049th
4/17/2021 12:14pm
soggy wrote:
I agree. And I have some background in ski coaching and teaching and a lot of it is very similar. The great thing is if you...
bh wrote:
I myself am a master in both the pizza technique and the french fry technique. One thing that rang very true for me is that it’s...
I myself am a master in both the pizza technique and the french fry technique. One thing that rang very true for me is that it’s hard to pick up on a new technique if you’re not feeling the benefit of it. I assume that’s why he said he tells his guys to ride at 75% when learning new stuff. So they can focus on feeling the difference and not going fast.
Me from the chairlift at least once a day yelling: PIZZA! PIZZA!!!!! PIIIZZZZZAAA

Post a reply to: Gypsy Tales w Ryno

The Latest