Gypsy Tales Podcast

scott_nz
Fantasy
840th
12/20/2018 2:46pm Edited Date/Time 12/20/2018 2:48pm
Rotaholic wrote:
The reedy one was awesome, can we get a Ben Townley or Shane King one next. Nothing says Aus/NZ like shit talking over bbq and beers...
The reedy one was awesome, can we get a Ben Townley or Shane King one next. Nothing says Aus/NZ like shit talking over bbq and beers ?
A BT one is coming

Edit

I should get to the end of threads before replying
12/22/2018 7:36pm
The dude who does these podcasts is horrible to listen to. He just seems so full of himself and keeps interrupting with his own bullshit instead...
The dude who does these podcasts is horrible to listen to. He just seems so full of himself and keeps interrupting with his own bullshit instead of letting his guests talk.
MJC wrote:
I tend to agree. Started the Ferris one this morning and boy is he hard work, and fuckin rambles. Could kinda tell that Dean didn’t care...
I tend to agree. Started the Ferris one this morning and boy is he hard work, and fuckin rambles. Could kinda tell that Dean didn’t care for him much either
HA Deans a friend of mine mate
12/22/2018 7:39pm
The dude who does these podcasts is horrible to listen to. He just seems so full of himself and keeps interrupting with his own bullshit instead...
The dude who does these podcasts is horrible to listen to. He just seems so full of himself and keeps interrupting with his own bullshit instead of letting his guests talk.
MJC wrote:
I tend to agree. Started the Ferris one this morning and boy is he hard work, and fuckin rambles. Could kinda tell that Dean didn’t care...
I tend to agree. Started the Ferris one this morning and boy is he hard work, and fuckin rambles. Could kinda tell that Dean didn’t care for him much either
HA Deans a friend of mine mate
Don’t take the bait bro!
Crush
11/21/2019 5:54am
Josh Hill podcast is well worth a listen...

The Shop

BigDaddyG
11/21/2019 11:27am
Crush wrote:
Yes, that was an awesome podcast with Josh. He is highly misunderstood or people drew incorrect conclusions about him. He is one of those guys that has more talent on a dirtbike than 99.99% of his competitors, a lot like Hanny.

I like Jace's podcast and listen to all the moto ones for sure.
8tensolutions
11/21/2019 12:55pm
Crush wrote:
BigDaddyG wrote:
Yes, that was an awesome podcast with Josh. He is highly misunderstood or people drew incorrect conclusions about him. He is one of those guys that...
Yes, that was an awesome podcast with Josh. He is highly misunderstood or people drew incorrect conclusions about him. He is one of those guys that has more talent on a dirtbike than 99.99% of his competitors, a lot like Hanny.

I don't feel like Josh is misunderstood. He had all the potential in the world and did little with it. His brother is currently following the same plan with a chance this year to change that. Josh is done with chances and will rely on youtube and hanging with the monster guys for his relevance.
BigDaddyG
11/21/2019 1:41pm
Crush wrote:
BigDaddyG wrote:
Yes, that was an awesome podcast with Josh. He is highly misunderstood or people drew incorrect conclusions about him. He is one of those guys that...

I don't feel like Josh is misunderstood. He had all the potential in the world and did little with it. His brother is currently following the...
I don't feel like Josh is misunderstood. He had all the potential in the world and did little with it. His brother is currently following the same plan with a chance this year to change that. Josh is done with chances and will rely on youtube and hanging with the monster guys for his relevance.
I guess I meant it in the way when he was on his first yamaha contract and people in the industry thinking he was a stoner, or the rental car incident when he wasn't even there. Lots of those things swirled around during that time and none of it was true. Yes, if he didn't hang with JLaw that wouldn't have been an issue, guilt by association.
haydos25
Fantasy
3333rd
11/21/2019 1:49pm
I don't feel like Josh is misunderstood. He had all the potential in the world and did little with it. His brother is currently following the...
Did you listen to the podcast?

I saw Josh one way prior to listening, purely based off the impression i got, the JLaw stories and the Matthes stuff. But i kinda get it after listening to the pod. Matthes calling him a stoner when he was really just a 17 or 18 year old kid who hadn't touched a drug in his life, then 10 years later complaining because he wouldnt let him into a Monster party. Kinda makes sense,I woulda told him to pound sand too, and i dig all of the Pulp stuff that gets put out.

Josh knows he had the world at his feet and let it pass him by. Listen to the interview, if you dont see him in a different light afterwards i'll eat my hat.
scott_nz
Fantasy
840th
11/21/2019 2:01pm
haydos25 wrote:
Did you listen to the podcast? I saw Josh one way prior to listening, purely based off the impression i got, the JLaw stories and the...

I saw Josh one way prior to listening, purely based off the impression i got, the JLaw stories and the Matthes stuff. But i kinda get it after listening to the pod. Matthes calling him a stoner when he was really just a 17 or 18 year old kid who hadn't touched a drug in his life, then 10 years later complaining because he wouldnt let him into a Monster party. Kinda makes sense,I woulda told him to pound sand too, and i dig all of the Pulp stuff that gets put out.

Josh knows he had the world at his feet and let it pass him by. Listen to the interview, if you dont see him in a different light afterwards i'll eat my hat.
yet Matthes had him on the show to promote the Alta, before he kicked him out of that party, its a two way street there,
haydos25
Fantasy
3333rd
11/21/2019 2:09pm
scott_nz wrote:
yet Matthes had him on the show to promote the Alta, before he kicked him out of that party, its a two way street there,
No doubt.

My impression from just hearing the Matthes side was that Josh was a stoner and thought he was too cool and used his position at Monster to kick Steve out. Then you hear Josh's side of the story and that when he was just a kid whos name was getting run down by a grown man in the industry that was literally his livelihood all for the sake of controversy and a few more listens on a podcast. If im Josh i dont forget it either. Not saying either person is right, just that you can learn a lot by hearing both sides of a story.

8tensolutions
11/21/2019 2:11pm
haydos25 wrote:
Did you listen to the podcast? I saw Josh one way prior to listening, purely based off the impression i got, the JLaw stories and the...

I did listen to the podcast, but I still didn't draw conclusions about him and I could care less if he smoked weed or whatever, but with the talent he has, he did little or nothing with it. Simple as that.

I will agree he came off genuine in the podcast, but his view of Matthes is still silly. Steve is the only journalist we have that doesn't just gargle every riders balls so they will talk to him. We need more of that.
8tensolutions
11/21/2019 2:16pm
scott_nz wrote:
haydos25 wrote:
No doubt. My impression from just hearing the Matthes side was that Josh was a stoner and thought he was too cool and used his position...
No doubt.

My impression from just hearing the Matthes side was that Josh was a stoner and thought he was too cool and used his position at Monster to kick Steve out. Then you hear Josh's side of the story and that when he was just a kid whos name was getting run down by a grown man in the industry that was literally his livelihood all for the sake of controversy and a few more listens on a podcast. If im Josh i dont forget it either. Not saying either person is right, just that you can learn a lot by hearing both sides of a story.

It's not high school and he may have been a "kid", but he was also a professional being paid to ride motorcycles, not drink beer around a bonfire with Jlaw at races. Show me something Matthes said that was gossip? Josh owned his actions and Mathes just reported on them 10 years before Josh owned them.
haydos25
Fantasy
3333rd
11/21/2019 2:19pm
I did listen to the podcast, but I still didn't draw conclusions about him and I could care less if he smoked weed or whatever, but...
I did listen to the podcast, but I still didn't draw conclusions about him and I could care less if he smoked weed or whatever, but with the talent he has, he did little or nothing with it. Simple as that.

I will agree he came off genuine in the podcast, but his view of Matthes is still silly. Steve is the only journalist we have that doesn't just gargle every riders balls so they will talk to him. We need more of that.
He admitted looking back that he didnt live up to his own talent. But did he do anything that different then most of us do when we were 18/19. The only difference was he was getting paid a fortune at the time, where as most of us were getting paid nothing and nobody cared.We also didnt live in the fish bowl that is the moto industry.

Matthes might not gargle riders balls but Josh's point was right about him. He's a grown adult commenting on the lives and decisions of teenagers, and it seems like atleast in Josh's case he wasn't correct in the label he put on him. Which like it or not stuck. I thought Josh's comments on Matthes in the pod were pretty accurate, he could have teed off, but he gave him props in a way. Doesnt mean he needs to let him into a Monster party and bro down with him though haha
haydos25
Fantasy
3333rd
11/21/2019 2:23pm
It's not high school and he may have been a "kid", but he was also a professional being paid to ride motorcycles, not drink beer around...
It's not high school and he may have been a "kid", but he was also a professional being paid to ride motorcycles, not drink beer around a bonfire with Jlaw at races. Show me something Matthes said that was gossip? Josh owned his actions and Mathes just reported on them 10 years before Josh owned them.
Jlaw and Josh were Cheech and Chong? 5 years before Josh even smoked weed. Seems like gossip to me. But never the less agree to disagree.

Only problem is, Josh is still dealing with the reputation he got when he was a teenager (waranted or not). I'd hate for people to still think im the person now that i was 15 years ago.
11/21/2019 2:33pm
My son was at a practice track with one of the current pro’s and Josh was there practicing. My son was by himself watching and once Josh finished his moto he came over and parked by my son and just started talking to him. Now Josh could of went over to the others and bro’d down but he didn’t instead he came over to a 10yr old and started chewing the fat with him. My son said not only was he cool but very polite.
8tensolutions
11/21/2019 2:33pm
I did listen to the podcast, but I still didn't draw conclusions about him and I could care less if he smoked weed or whatever, but...

haydos25 wrote:
He admitted looking back that he didnt live up to his own talent. But did he do anything that different then most of us do when...
He admitted looking back that he didnt live up to his own talent. But did he do anything that different then most of us do when we were 18/19. The only difference was he was getting paid a fortune at the time, where as most of us were getting paid nothing and nobody cared.We also didnt live in the fish bowl that is the moto industry.

Matthes might not gargle riders balls but Josh's point was right about him. He's a grown adult commenting on the lives and decisions of teenagers, and it seems like atleast in Josh's case he wasn't correct in the label he put on him. Which like it or not stuck. I thought Josh's comments on Matthes in the pod were pretty accurate, he could have teed off, but he gave him props in a way. Doesnt mean he needs to let him into a Monster party and bro down with him though haha
Their age is irrelevant, they are professional athletes and he reports on the sport. Nobody is judging Josh for stuff he did 15 years ago or at least not me. I could care less and respect his amazing talent on the bike. I am just responding to you saying the podcast changed your view of him and it did me to, just not the same extent.

I wonder if Justin will continue to make the same mistakes.
orange_44
11/21/2019 2:34pm
It's not high school and he may have been a "kid", but he was also a professional being paid to ride motorcycles, not drink beer around...
haydos25 wrote:
Jlaw and Josh were Cheech and Chong? 5 years before Josh even smoked weed. Seems like gossip to me. But never the less agree to disagree...
Jlaw and Josh were Cheech and Chong? 5 years before Josh even smoked weed. Seems like gossip to me. But never the less agree to disagree.

Only problem is, Josh is still dealing with the reputation he got when he was a teenager (waranted or not). I'd hate for people to still think im the person now that i was 15 years ago.
Then put your head down and show people you aren’t the person you were labeled as 10 years ago. He gets this reputation because he hasn’t done anything to shake it.
crowe176
11/21/2019 3:09pm
I really enjoyed that podcast. I made decisions when I was 18 100x worse than the ones he probably regrets so it’s hard to judge. Sounds like he’s having fun though. Keep twisting it hard kid.
11/21/2019 3:44pm
I thought the tp199 one was a pretty good listen, he was downing those brews as well!!! Haha.
Crush
11/21/2019 11:26pm
haydos25 wrote:

I don't think I ever thought he was getting high. Nor do i think I've heard Matthes say that.

I do think he was susceptible to hanging around with clowns... other than that he could be accused of not making the most of his talent, but fuck, that's a long list in moto, and longer in life.
scott_nz
Fantasy
840th
11/22/2019 7:11pm
The Justin brayton podcast is well worth a listen , nearly 3 hours with some real great discussion in there about sport and life

The boys seemed to have a good time riding with Bt round the local spots round here
Moto520
11/22/2019 8:50pm
I really liked the Josh Hill podcast that was just released. Very insightful and great back and forth. Good stuff
IanMac138
11/22/2019 9:32pm
Hey guys! Just wanted to say thanks to everyone who has listened and taken the time to write a post... For sure not closed off to...
Hey guys! Just wanted to say thanks to everyone who has listened and taken the time to write a post... For sure not closed off to constructive feedback. Just thought I might share my thoughts and maybe show you my perspective with it all, and the method to the approach.

I think first of all there has to be a distinction to what I'm trying to be. There is a line between and interview and a podcast, and I think there are people that like the interview style and people who like it to just be a random chat. I am way more on the random chat side of things which makes me not run these things like an interview.

I can tell you now, Chad ain't signing up to do a three hour 'interview' with anyone he isn't obligated too. So the product can't be an 'interview'. I have spent the last ten years as the guy who got sent questions by brands and stood there behind a camera asking them and I'm not into it any more. I've heard every answer to every questions at this point.

With the interrupting... I get it. I am conscious of and it's something I want to do less of. But to again try add some perspective I will explain a couple of might thoughts as to why I do it.

People alway ask me 'How do you get people to talk for so long' and I always respond as a joke 'I just don't let them finish their first sentence'. But it is kind of true. The thing that kills these things is an awkward silence. And I have no questions in front of me and I do zero prep work. So I feel like I need to keep adding, digging when it gets slow and adding my own experiences to keep it moving along.

I would be talking shit if I said I haven't listened to one back and thought I was an idiot for butting in. But I have done nearly 150 hours of these things this year and you just can't nail every minute. But again, I do wanna work on getting that balance right.

I think it's worth adding too that people generally don't enjoy talking about themselves for three hours. If you went to a BBQ and talked for three hours about your self, people would think your a dick. So I think part of what the guests enjoy is that it's easy, theres no set questions or agenda going in and the chat just goes where it goes.

I think too there's something about the loose style, with the over the top about of fucks, that lets these dudes relax. When was the last time you hear chat say 'Fuck yes sign me up' when talking about a contract ha. And again I want this to be what we would talk about on the beers at a bbq when the cameras aren't rolling, not an interview.

And I think the most important thing about this is that I just do this for fun. It is a really really fun way to spend a few hours with people. And I have made really great friends out of this. People like Chad who I really didn't have a lot to do with and I even admitted at the start that I used to look for reasons not to like him... People like Adam Greentree who I talk to regularly. So I think that needs to be noted. I am really not trying to bring people a 60 minutes tell all with Chad Reed. I'm just trying to roll the cameras on two people talking shit about the similar stuff they are into, or new things they are into that I haven't heard of.

Anyway guys, just a couple of my thoughts and thanks again.

Jase

You crush it Jase. Keep doing you. First thing I do when getting in my truck on way to work in the morning is check to see if a new episode is up. Always stoked on em. Cheers mate!
Badd127
Fantasy
2111th
11/23/2019 4:35am
I'm a 100% moto guy, but I think a podcast with Shane Watts would be worth a listen.
11/24/2019 7:49am
I hadn’t listened to any of the gypsy tales podcasts since the Chad Reed one, but listened to the Josh Hill one today and I must say there is a huge improvement, he has stopped interrupting as much and seems to have taken the criticism on board. There is a big difference between a conversation between 2 people and how a podcast should sound.
Josh’s insight is great too, he comes across very mature and is well spoken.. great listen!
FWYT
11/27/2019 9:19pm Edited Date/Time 11/27/2019 9:19pm
I dig Josh. Some good insight in there! But fucking fuck, shit, duuuuuude it was so
fucking sick . .. . just like, you know, like , fucking sick! Like, you know . . . fuck, like SICK!
Like, just do whatever . . . fuck, sick, like . . . like... Laughing
crowe176
11/28/2019 2:56am
Jase, I really prefer your style over the interview style and especially over the style where guys edit the shit out their podcasts to cut the time down.

I listen to an absurd amount of podcasts. It’s almost embarrassing how many different podcasts I listen to. Anyway, you do a GREAT job. I’ve never felt like you butt in or cut people off. It Almost always just feels like a normal conversation between two friends that we get to listen to. I know what you’re going for, and you do it like a pro.

I wouldn’t change a thing, or worry about the butting in thing. GL8 gets a ton of shit on here for doing that on Whiskey, and when I see those comments, I just don’t get it. It’s the best part. That’s what makes them so good. I love to here your stories as much as the guests. I actually get a little bummed if the podcasts are less than 2 hours haha.

One of my favorites you did which caused me to go down some crazy Aussie Underworld rabbit hole was the episode with that Abo guy.

Keep doing your thing Jase. You’re nailing it man.

Post a reply to: Gypsy Tales Podcast

The Latest