Gypsy Tales Podcast

Related:
Create New Tag

12/17/2018 11:19 PM

Just wanted to throw the Gypsy Tales Podcast out there for any of you guys on here that may not have heard of it before! Aussie podcast series that has featured some candid interviews with some big names in the sport - Dunge, Pastrana, Dean Ferris, Carey Hart, Toby Price plus heaps more.

Big shout out to the host Jase for being a straight up good dude, no doubt he’s going to keep up the good work. Worth a look if you’re into podcasts and after something a bit different.

|

12/17/2018 11:26 PM

The one with Sleeter was really good!

|

12/18/2018 12:11 AM

TallonT911 wrote:

The one with Sleeter was really good!

Looks like he has just dropped one with Chad Reed too, got a 5 hour drive tomorrow to listen to it. I haven’t listened to the Sleeter one yet actually but looking at the length of those 2 episodes, that one will fill out the rest of the trip nicely!

|

12/18/2018 12:22 AM

I reckon the more people that listen to the Ferris one the more fans Ferris will get haha
Like workin on the farm and at his dad's sawmill at age 9 and shit haha..

|

why am I reading this? ..... Oh christ, now I'm posting...... shiiiiiiiit!!

12/18/2018 12:24 AM

jemcee wrote:

I reckon the more people that listen to the Ferris one the more fans Ferris will get haha
Like workin on the farm and at his dad's sawmill at age 9 and shit haha..

agree totally, was never a fan of Dean Ferris, but after listening to that podcast, huge respect,

just starting to get through some of the older ones, Hart and Pastrana were awesome, adn Bereman were good, cant wait to listen to the Reed one,

|

12/18/2018 12:49 AM

Jason is doing a great job, funny he tried years ago to get something like this going, were good back then but just didn't gain traction.

Getting comments from many people saying how good these podcasts are, going to have to listen to a few more myself.

|

12/18/2018 12:59 AM

jemcee wrote:

I reckon the more people that listen to the Ferris one the more fans Ferris will get haha
Like workin on the farm and at his dad's sawmill at age 9 and shit haha..

Yeah man, Dean is a good dude and that was such a good episode I thought, very humble guy and just does his own thing. Going to miss having him in aus but he was killing it and it’s going to be prime to follow him in the states.

|

12/18/2018 6:08 AM

Awesome podcast found it this summer

|

12/18/2018 6:10 AM

The dude who does these podcasts is horrible to listen to. He just seems so full of himself and keeps interrupting with his own bullshit instead of letting his guests talk.

|

12/18/2018 1:50 PM

Its a solid podcast. Sometimes Jace does get a little too "cool guy" with his stories about living in Temecula and name dropping. But, at the same time these first hand experiences can give insight you don't otherwise get. So it is what it is.

I believe he has a golf podcast thats is super popular so i'm sure he just needs to find his footing and style for the MX one.

The Sleeter one was good. Anyone catch him calling some of the industry people in charge "70 year old dinosaurs" LOL. Looking forward to the Reed one, he doesn't mince words or opinions lol.

|

12/18/2018 2:47 PM

racerhansen wrote:

The dude who does these podcasts is horrible to listen to. He just seems so full of himself and keeps interrupting with his own bullshit instead of letting his guests talk.

I tend to agree. Started the Ferris one this morning and boy is he hard work, and fuckin rambles. Could kinda tell that Dean didn’t care for him much either

|

12/18/2018 2:53 PM

Subscribed?

|

12/18/2018 3:51 PM

racerhansen wrote:

The dude who does these podcasts is horrible to listen to. He just seems so full of himself and keeps interrupting with his own bullshit instead of letting his guests talk.

MJC wrote:

I tend to agree. Started the Ferris one this morning and boy is he hard work, and fuckin rambles. Could kinda tell that Dean didn’t care for him much either

Yeah I have to agree. Some constructive feed back would be, to not name drop as much (it’s ok Jace, we know you know a lot of people), don’t cut off your guests mid story as much and let them tell there story. And you are far cooler than I will ever be by the sounds of it haha.

Good points is the content you get your guests feeling comfortable enough to discuss and the profile of the guests you get on. Keep it up ?

|

12/18/2018 4:08 PM

racerhansen wrote:

The dude who does these podcasts is horrible to listen to. He just seems so full of himself and keeps interrupting with his own bullshit instead of letting his guests talk.

MJC wrote:

I tend to agree. Started the Ferris one this morning and boy is he hard work, and fuckin rambles. Could kinda tell that Dean didn’t care for him much either

Yeah I agree as well, He seems to be an 'everything US' fanboy too
I also definitely don't agree with some of his opinions but all in all it's still a good listen..

Oh and yeah it kinda sounds like they've known each other or known of each other for a while and Dean's a no bullshit kinda dude haha

|

why am I reading this? ..... Oh christ, now I'm posting...... shiiiiiiiit!!

12/18/2018 5:13 PM
Edited Date/Time: 12/18/2018 5:14 PM

I must say the most frustrating part of listening to his stuff is the strong opinion being spoken above the guest, A lot of the time & I haven't been able to listen to some of them because of it. I do enjoy his work but it's a noticeable frustration.

I actually thought I was the only one that thought this, clearly not.

|

12/18/2018 7:33 PM

I think the series is still fairly new in the scheme of things, I’m sure he will improve on his timing when to talk/listen. He is ultimately just talking with mates, so conversations can get abit carried away sometimes I guess. Who knows, maybe he reads vital and would be up for some constructive criticism.

End of the day, I think it’s great there’s another podcast series in the mix with some big names and in a different format to some of the other podcasts out there. Plus being Aussie, I’ve gotta get behind it hahahaha.

I’m also looking forward to the Whiskey Throttle Podcast! Ping ang G.L. are great hosts.

|

12/19/2018 2:49 AM
Edited Date/Time: 12/19/2018 2:54 AM

Hey guys! Just wanted to say thanks to everyone who has listened and taken the time to write a post... For sure not closed off to constructive feedback. Just thought I might share my thoughts and maybe show you my perspective with it all, and the method to the approach.

I think first of all there has to be a distinction to what I'm trying to be. There is a line between and interview and a podcast, and I think there are people that like the interview style and people who like it to just be a random chat. I am way more on the random chat side of things which makes me not run these things like an interview.

I can tell you now, Chad ain't signing up to do a three hour 'interview' with anyone he isn't obligated too. So the product can't be an 'interview'. I have spent the last ten years as the guy who got sent questions by brands and stood there behind a camera asking them and I'm not into it any more. I've heard every answer to every questions at this point.

With the interrupting... I get it. I am conscious of and it's something I want to do less of. But to again try add some perspective I will explain a couple of might thoughts as to why I do it.

People alway ask me 'How do you get people to talk for so long' and I always respond as a joke 'I just don't let them finish their first sentence'. But it is kind of true. The thing that kills these things is an awkward silence. And I have no questions in front of me and I do zero prep work. So I feel like I need to keep adding, digging when it gets slow and adding my own experiences to keep it moving along.

I would be talking shit if I said I haven't listened to one back and thought I was an idiot for butting in. But I have done nearly 150 hours of these things this year and you just can't nail every minute. But again, I do wanna work on getting that balance right.

I think it's worth adding too that people generally don't enjoy talking about themselves for three hours. If you went to a BBQ and talked for three hours about your self, people would think your a dick. So I think part of what the guests enjoy is that it's easy, theres no set questions or agenda going in and the chat just goes where it goes.

I think too there's something about the loose style, with the over the top about of fucks, that lets these dudes relax. When was the last time you hear chat say 'Fuck yes sign me up' when talking about a contract ha. And again I want this to be what we would talk about on the beers at a bbq when the cameras aren't rolling, not an interview.

And I think the most important thing about this is that I just do this for fun. It is a really really fun way to spend a few hours with people. And I have made really great friends out of this. People like Chad who I really didn't have a lot to do with and I even admitted at the start that I used to look for reasons not to like him... People like Adam Greentree who I talk to regularly. So I think that needs to be noted. I am really not trying to bring people a 60 minutes tell all with Chad Reed. I'm just trying to roll the cameras on two people talking shit about the similar stuff they are into, or new things they are into that I haven't heard of.

Anyway guys, just a couple of my thoughts and thanks again.

Jase

|

12/19/2018 3:03 AM

Jase Macalpine wrote:

Hey guys! Just wanted to say thanks to everyone who has listened and taken the time to write a post... For sure not closed off to constructive feedback. Just thought I might share my thoughts and maybe show you my perspective with it all, and the method to the approach.

I think first of all there has to be a distinction to what I'm trying to be. There is a line between and interview and a podcast, and I think there are people that like the interview style and people who like it to just be a random chat. I am way more on the random chat side of things which makes me not run these things like an interview.

I can tell you now, Chad ain't signing up to do a three hour 'interview' with anyone he isn't obligated too. So the product can't be an 'interview'. I have spent the last ten years as the guy who got sent questions by brands and stood there behind a camera asking them and I'm not into it any more. I've heard every answer to every questions at this point.

With the interrupting... I get it. I am conscious of and it's something I want to do less of. But to again try add some perspective I will explain a couple of might thoughts as to why I do it.

People alway ask me 'How do you get people to talk for so long' and I always respond as a joke 'I just don't let them finish their first sentence'. But it is kind of true. The thing that kills these things is an awkward silence. And I have no questions in front of me and I do zero prep work. So I feel like I need to keep adding, digging when it gets slow and adding my own experiences to keep it moving along.

I would be talking shit if I said I haven't listened to one back and thought I was an idiot for butting in. But I have done nearly 150 hours of these things this year and you just can't nail every minute. But again, I do wanna work on getting that balance right.

I think it's worth adding too that people generally don't enjoy talking about themselves for three hours. If you went to a BBQ and talked for three hours about your self, people would think your a dick. So I think part of what the guests enjoy is that it's easy, theres no set questions or agenda going in and the chat just goes where it goes.

I think too there's something about the loose style, with the over the top about of fucks, that lets these dudes relax. When was the last time you hear chat say 'Fuck yes sign me up' when talking about a contract ha. And again I want this to be what we would talk about on the beers at a bbq when the cameras aren't rolling, not an interview.

And I think the most important thing about this is that I just do this for fun. It is a really really fun way to spend a few hours with people. And I have made really great friends out of this. People like Chad who I really didn't have a lot to do with and I even admitted at the start that I used to look for reasons not to like him... People like Adam Greentree who I talk to regularly. So I think that needs to be noted. I am really not trying to bring people a 60 minutes tell all with Chad Reed. I'm just trying to roll the cameras on two people talking shit about the similar stuff they are into, or new things they are into that I haven't heard of.

Anyway guys, just a couple of my thoughts and thanks again.

Jase

Appreciate your response mate. I’m only half through your Ferris one (and my first Gypsy pod), so I’ll check some more out to get a better gauge. I’m pretty much not into the same regurgitated shit from normal interviews, Ferris’ backstory makes for interesting listening. Hope the others are the same.

|

12/19/2018 3:21 AM

Jase Macalpine wrote:

Hey guys! Just wanted to say thanks to everyone who has listened and taken the time to write a post... For sure not closed off to constructive feedback. Just thought I might share my thoughts and maybe show you my perspective with it all, and the method to the approach.

I think first of all there has to be a distinction to what I'm trying to be. There is a line between and interview and a podcast, and I think there are people that like the interview style and people who like it to just be a random chat. I am way more on the random chat side of things which makes me not run these things like an interview.

I can tell you now, Chad ain't signing up to do a three hour 'interview' with anyone he isn't obligated too. So the product can't be an 'interview'. I have spent the last ten years as the guy who got sent questions by brands and stood there behind a camera asking them and I'm not into it any more. I've heard every answer to every questions at this point.

With the interrupting... I get it. I am conscious of and it's something I want to do less of. But to again try add some perspective I will explain a couple of might thoughts as to why I do it.

People alway ask me 'How do you get people to talk for so long' and I always respond as a joke 'I just don't let them finish their first sentence'. But it is kind of true. The thing that kills these things is an awkward silence. And I have no questions in front of me and I do zero prep work. So I feel like I need to keep adding, digging when it gets slow and adding my own experiences to keep it moving along.

I would be talking shit if I said I haven't listened to one back and thought I was an idiot for butting in. But I have done nearly 150 hours of these things this year and you just can't nail every minute. But again, I do wanna work on getting that balance right.

I think it's worth adding too that people generally don't enjoy talking about themselves for three hours. If you went to a BBQ and talked for three hours about your self, people would think your a dick. So I think part of what the guests enjoy is that it's easy, theres no set questions or agenda going in and the chat just goes where it goes.

I think too there's something about the loose style, with the over the top about of fucks, that lets these dudes relax. When was the last time you hear chat say 'Fuck yes sign me up' when talking about a contract ha. And again I want this to be what we would talk about on the beers at a bbq when the cameras aren't rolling, not an interview.

And I think the most important thing about this is that I just do this for fun. It is a really really fun way to spend a few hours with people. And I have made really great friends out of this. People like Chad who I really didn't have a lot to do with and I even admitted at the start that I used to look for reasons not to like him... People like Adam Greentree who I talk to regularly. So I think that needs to be noted. I am really not trying to bring people a 60 minutes tell all with Chad Reed. I'm just trying to roll the cameras on two people talking shit about the similar stuff they are into, or new things they are into that I haven't heard of.

Anyway guys, just a couple of my thoughts and thanks again.

Jase

Really cool to see you reading our criticism and responding to it. One thing I really enjoy about your podcast is the caliber of your guests. My personal favorite is the Carey Hart show. That guy had some interesting things to say. Sleeter was very good too.

|

12/19/2018 3:45 AM

Jase Macalpine wrote:

Hey guys! Just wanted to say thanks to everyone who has listened and taken the time to write a post... For sure not closed off to constructive feedback. Just thought I might share my thoughts and maybe show you my perspective with it all, and the method to the approach.

I think first of all there has to be a distinction to what I'm trying to be. There is a line between and interview and a podcast, and I think there are people that like the interview style and people who like it to just be a random chat. I am way more on the random chat side of things which makes me not run these things like an interview.

I can tell you now, Chad ain't signing up to do a three hour 'interview' with anyone he isn't obligated too. So the product can't be an 'interview'. I have spent the last ten years as the guy who got sent questions by brands and stood there behind a camera asking them and I'm not into it any more. I've heard every answer to every questions at this point.

With the interrupting... I get it. I am conscious of and it's something I want to do less of. But to again try add some perspective I will explain a couple of might thoughts as to why I do it.

People alway ask me 'How do you get people to talk for so long' and I always respond as a joke 'I just don't let them finish their first sentence'. But it is kind of true. The thing that kills these things is an awkward silence. And I have no questions in front of me and I do zero prep work. So I feel like I need to keep adding, digging when it gets slow and adding my own experiences to keep it moving along.

I would be talking shit if I said I haven't listened to one back and thought I was an idiot for butting in. But I have done nearly 150 hours of these things this year and you just can't nail every minute. But again, I do wanna work on getting that balance right.

I think it's worth adding too that people generally don't enjoy talking about themselves for three hours. If you went to a BBQ and talked for three hours about your self, people would think your a dick. So I think part of what the guests enjoy is that it's easy, theres no set questions or agenda going in and the chat just goes where it goes.

I think too there's something about the loose style, with the over the top about of fucks, that lets these dudes relax. When was the last time you hear chat say 'Fuck yes sign me up' when talking about a contract ha. And again I want this to be what we would talk about on the beers at a bbq when the cameras aren't rolling, not an interview.

And I think the most important thing about this is that I just do this for fun. It is a really really fun way to spend a few hours with people. And I have made really great friends out of this. People like Chad who I really didn't have a lot to do with and I even admitted at the start that I used to look for reasons not to like him... People like Adam Greentree who I talk to regularly. So I think that needs to be noted. I am really not trying to bring people a 60 minutes tell all with Chad Reed. I'm just trying to roll the cameras on two people talking shit about the similar stuff they are into, or new things they are into that I haven't heard of.

Anyway guys, just a couple of my thoughts and thanks again.

Jase

Great response mate.
Haven’t had a chance to listen to any of your podcasts yet but will soon.

|

12/19/2018 5:52 AM

Liked the Reed pod.... you cant ever have to much moto talk and moto shit talk!!!
Only my opinion.....

|

12/19/2018 10:04 AM

The reedy one was awesome, can we get a Ben Townley or Shane King one next. Nothing says Aus/NZ like shit talking over bbq and beers ?

|

12/19/2018 12:10 PM

Def cool listening, the over talking doesnt bother me, keeps it all flowing..
Only thing is using the word "fu$k" all the time lol..
I cant listen to them with my kids in the car sad
Keep up the good work Jase!

|

12/20/2018 2:09 AM

Just listened to the CR podcast, I really liked the content. I did also get frustrated with Chad being cut off or spoken over a lot, but Jase has said he is working on it so I think they will constantly improve. Definitely worth a listen, I liked watching it on YouTube too..

|

12/20/2018 4:04 AM

Been a listener since the Hart interview. GT podcast is as raw as it gets. Some of the newer podcasts outside of Pulp feel so forced and scripted, but not GT. Refreshing content and style. Keep up the good work!

|

12/20/2018 4:30 AM

I cannot find this on stitcher. Maybe i'm searching wrong? What podcast apps can I find this on? thanks

|

12/20/2018 4:53 AM

Really enjoyed the podcast. We've all heard the chad reed story a million times but I still enjoy listening. The best story in mx/sx. Just can't imagine going through what he had to, in a time where there was no cell phones or gps or internet. Enjoyed the talk abt ricky and james.

|

12/20/2018 7:13 AM

Just posted a Ben townley on youtube

|

12/20/2018 9:30 AM

criticizing the cutting off or name dropping isn't a criticism of Jase as a person so much, for me its more of a criticism of the podcast. As the number of podcasts out there continue to rise, the demand for quality will rise also. I listen to minimum of 3 hrs of pods/day. If gypsy tales was the first pod i ever listened to, maybe the cutting off wouldn't bother me, and its not a big deal, but i do notice it. I listened to 3 in a row straight away after aus x, and honestly i haven't gone back to listen to more until seeing this thread.
I was really excited for the toby price pods and would love to hear more of this guys stories.
keep up the pods and dont be afraid to let the guests gooooo

|

12/20/2018 11:55 AM

Payup_199 wrote:

I cannot find this on stitcher. Maybe i'm searching wrong? What podcast apps can I find this on? thanks

I’ve always used Apple Podcasts, I’m not too sure what other platforms it’s on.

|