Gym routine/workout focus

flymoto
Hey guys, so I have just joined a gym and want to concentrate on moto fitness and strength. There’s so many contradicting articles, some saying you should train strength, others say it should be muscular endurance. So what do you guys do? I want to be stronger but all the workouts I have focus on max strength and getting big. If there’s so decent programs out there covering a range of exercise and cardio for a month or 2 that would be amazing. Don’t mind paying aswel.

Cheers
|
NVA57
Fantasy
1602nd
11/11/2017 1:53am
Focus on your core strength.

A row machine is great for cardio.

Also very important is flexibility exercises (your hip flexors for example).
flymoto
11/11/2017 2:29am
Cool. I have been doing a lot on the rowers so that’s a good start.

I’m probably getting to the gym 3/4 times a week for a hour. I do some core. The gym I’m at is pretty good for crossfit/core exercises. I might ask the instructor to write me a programme but I’m not quite sure what specifically to ask for?
The Candyman
11/11/2017 2:42am
Do interval training pretty much on every machine in the cardio room.. use the spin bike, stair master, elliptical, row machine. If you have a heart rate monitor peak at over 180 (they say 220HR minus your age) and then drop down and bring it back up etc. Planks are a really good and easy exercise for your core, push ups with 10-15 pnd medicine ball.. remember high reps and less weigh but always be making progress and getting stronger. You need at least 45 minutes to an hour of cardio training each time you visit the gym and I promise brother you'll be WAAY faster and safer in no time.
ron36
11/11/2017 3:31am

You must ensure that you have a very good basic condition before you intervene. So train for a long time at low heart rate. If the base is very good you can go intervals. The rowing machine is the best in the gym. If it's a Concept2, you can compare your times online. 5km rowing you should be able to do around 19 minutes if you are fit. And never focus too much on 1 device, as alternation also running and cycling. And do not exercise too much strength, strong core is important. And dont forget a good rest, really important.

The Shop

NVA57
Fantasy
1602nd
11/11/2017 4:09am
flymoto wrote:
Cool. I have been doing a lot on the rowers so that’s a good start. I’m probably getting to the gym 3/4 times a week for...
Cool. I have been doing a lot on the rowers so that’s a good start.

I’m probably getting to the gym 3/4 times a week for a hour. I do some core. The gym I’m at is pretty good for crossfit/core exercises. I might ask the instructor to write me a programme but I’m not quite sure what specifically to ask for?
If you like weighted static exercises you can do squats and deadlifts for example.

If you like explosive exercises you can do pull ups, dips, leg raises and stuff like that.
Acidreamer
11/11/2017 5:29am
An hour doing front squats and deadlifts & a 2nd hour of cardio does the trick for me. Im able to ride close to my max ability pretty much as long as i want. Biggest thing though is diet. If i eat mcdonalds before a ride day its game over.
tylermx967
11/11/2017 6:15am
MY FAVERITE GAME IN JIM CLASS IS OCTOPUS WHEN 1 GUY GETS TO BE OCTOPUS AND EVERONE RUNS TO THE OTHER SIDE IF YOU TAGED YOU HAVE TO BE SEAWEED AND CANT EVEN MOVE YOUR FEET
Acidreamer
11/11/2017 6:22am
tylermx967 wrote:
MY FAVERITE GAME IN JIM CLASS IS OCTOPUS WHEN 1 GUY GETS TO BE OCTOPUS AND EVERONE RUNS TO THE OTHER SIDE IF YOU TAGED YOU...
MY FAVERITE GAME IN JIM CLASS IS OCTOPUS WHEN 1 GUY GETS TO BE OCTOPUS AND EVERONE RUNS TO THE OTHER SIDE IF YOU TAGED YOU HAVE TO BE SEAWEED AND CANT EVEN MOVE YOUR FEET
My fav was rolling around on those scooters and getting my fingers ran over in the wheels
UpTiTe
Fantasy
4091st
11/11/2017 8:26am Edited Date/Time 11/11/2017 8:27am
In reality, unless you're training specifically for sx races or 40 minute motos, most weight programs mixed with cardio and stretching is the best thing for you.

The stronger you are on the bike the faster you'll be. Don't believe the myth that big muscles pump up while riding. All muscles, big and small will pump up during riding without proper cardio, that's why you need to mix strength training with cardio.

You'll be less prone to injuries the stronger and more flexible you are on a motorcycle.

My workout is strictly the machines inside my gym, no free weights at all. I do 3 circuits 3 times a week using around 85% of my Max, I don't do any particular amount of reps, I go till the muscle Burns Out.

One thing I refuse to do is running, but I am a firm believer in cardio, I ride my bicycle as often as I can and I hit a row machine every single day for 45 minutes.

Don't forget the core, that is another thing I do everyday weather at the gym or at my house, I do roughly 300 situps per day plus three sets of three minute planks.

I also have a yoga DVD that I do once a week for stretching.

11/11/2017 8:45am
I found that lifting too heavy actually hurt my performance on the bike, mainly because when i was lifting heavy i was training my hands to grip harder. It led to more arm pump and overall i fatigued quicker. In motocross you need to be able to sustain high levels of muscle use for long periods of time, and rarely are you using your absolute max muscle capacity for a short period of time.

To build up those slow twitch muscles, start with the compound exercises and lower the weight so that you can do 20-30 reps. When you are doing bar exercises, make sure your hands are always MX grip width apart. Make sure you are doing at least the following: Squat, Deadlift, Bent Over Row, Bench press.

I would stay away from focused exercises like bicep curls, tricep extensions etc. That won't do you any good on the bike.

As for cardio, row machines that have a sliding seat are the best form of cardio for motocross, outside of actual riding. Next would be swimming. Next would be road cycling or mountain biking.

Also, the basics. Make sure you sleep well, hydrate well daily, and are eating clean foods. Your diet and hydration are super important for athletic performance.

GoldenKTM
11/11/2017 1:10pm
I know running has gone out of fashion these days but being able to run at an intense pace for the same amount of time that you race is a good test of fitness. Running on a road, trail or track is better than a treadmill but a treadmill on an incline is a solid way to up your cardio.

Also calisthenics such as push-ups, core-work and pull-ups are great for race fitness.
Naanak
11/11/2017 3:56pm
tylermx967 wrote:
MY FAVERITE GAME IN JIM CLASS IS OCTOPUS WHEN 1 GUY GETS TO BE OCTOPUS AND EVERONE RUNS TO THE OTHER SIDE IF YOU TAGED YOU...
Acidreamer wrote:
My fav was rolling around on those scooters and getting my fingers ran over in the wheels
Possibly the greatest and worst memories of my early school years haha.
agn5009
11/11/2017 5:07pm
UpTiTe wrote:
In reality, unless you're training specifically for sx races or 40 minute motos, most weight programs mixed with cardio and stretching is the best thing for...
In reality, unless you're training specifically for sx races or 40 minute motos, most weight programs mixed with cardio and stretching is the best thing for you.

The stronger you are on the bike the faster you'll be. Don't believe the myth that big muscles pump up while riding. All muscles, big and small will pump up during riding without proper cardio, that's why you need to mix strength training with cardio.

You'll be less prone to injuries the stronger and more flexible you are on a motorcycle.

My workout is strictly the machines inside my gym, no free weights at all. I do 3 circuits 3 times a week using around 85% of my Max, I don't do any particular amount of reps, I go till the muscle Burns Out.

One thing I refuse to do is running, but I am a firm believer in cardio, I ride my bicycle as often as I can and I hit a row machine every single day for 45 minutes.

Don't forget the core, that is another thing I do everyday weather at the gym or at my house, I do roughly 300 situps per day plus three sets of three minute planks.

I've gained a lot of muscle mass over the last 2 years and it definitely makes my arm pump 100 times worse. I rarely got arm pump before my strength training.

I'm also doing a lot more cardio than before. So I believe the muscle mass thing is true.
11/11/2017 5:18pm
my 2c, just try and keep it fun, boredom is the biggest killer for getting to the gym regularly.

1hr few days a week with these foam roller, Kettle bells, Bar and weights, Rower and treadmill you are good to go

cwtoyota
11/11/2017 5:38pm
GoldenKTM wrote:
I know running has gone out of fashion these days but being able to run at an intense pace for the same amount of time that...
I know running has gone out of fashion these days but being able to run at an intense pace for the same amount of time that you race is a good test of fitness. Running on a road, trail or track is better than a treadmill but a treadmill on an incline is a solid way to up your cardio.

Also calisthenics such as push-ups, core-work and pull-ups are great for race fitness.
Good point.
I'm a runner too, I run all the time and motocross keeps me motivated to do at least 3 or 4 miles 3 or 4 evenings a week.
When I think of all the local dudes I race with in 30+, only one other guy stands out who never, ever gets tired at the end of a moto on a hot day. He's a runner, runs up and down the hills in and around the track that he works at. Most of the other local 30+ guys slow down a bit after lap 3.

This time of year (Nov - Feb), we get so much rain and it's dark by 4pm so I just ride the exercise bike, or the concept rower while I watch old supercross races on you-tube, or bar-to-bar videos in the evening.

For me, nothing takes the fun out of racing like being so tired that you can't even ride safely. At least some run, bike, row, or swim a few times a week is the bare minimum to be safe for a 5 lap moto on Sundays.
tempura
11/12/2017 3:45am
Kick and punch training on the sandbag, which will use your core and just about every muscle in the body. It'll also keep you supple.
Elliptical cross trainer
Sits ups
Push ups
Pull ups
core training on the ball
Lots of stretching and yoga

When I was training full time in martial arts, I'd incorporate some weight training, but don't do much of that these days. If I go to a gym, I usually make a circuit and do high rep training, at quite high intensity.
One thing is for sure.. Everyone reacts differently to training. What works for you, may not work so well for another.
Experience will teach you what works for you and how to adapt that as you get older, fitter or coming off a stint on the couch.
How you fuel and replenish your body is a big part of it, especially as you get a bit older.
flymoto
11/12/2017 9:44am
Some good advice here.

I’m going to mix it up now, I have been focusing on running for a while now and you loose all the upper body strength, I actually feel really weak which I don’t like! It’s difficult getting the balance of training for strength and endurance. I went today and did squats, dead lift, box jumps etc so I’ll probablt mix some plymetrics in there aswel to keep it interesting. I always save 30 mins at the end at least for a cardio workout!
mark_swart
11/12/2017 10:04am
If you google "Seven Minute Workout" or look in the play store you will find a free app for it. You actually do multiple reps of the workout, but the idea is you do all of the exercises 30 seconds for max intensity, then get 10 seconds rest before going to the next one. It alternates muscle groups and cardio, and by the end of it you pretty much feel smoked all over. I usually do 2-3 sets.

This isn't the only training I do, but it has some great core exercises and I think it complements moto pretty well. If I do this at max intensity, I literally can't stand to do it more than once a week. But it pays off and it is pretty quick, even if you do three sets. It's also a good way to do break the monotony of a routine.
PFitzG38
11/12/2017 10:41am
VIRTUAL TRAINER

You've already done the first part - Deciding you want to do something, now go get a heart rate monitor. You will get as many suggestions here as reply's. Though all will probably be better than nothing. I wouldn't worry too much about strength unless your rehabbing a weakness as much and you can always bulk up with minimal knowledge, that you probably already know. Lift heavy shit, eat lots of protein, sleep, repeat - you'll get stronger by just doing even cardio and stretch stuff if your into it. I believe you DO need structure and a plan though, and to keep it simple I suggest VT. find someone you can sign up for their remote onlne plan. Stick with it.-DONE
Bfogg217
11/12/2017 11:27am
I try to focus on my shoulder stability also. Overhead presses and things like that work well for me
wide open wally
Fantasy
3824th
11/12/2017 1:06pm
Best thing to do is sign up for Virtual Trainer through racer x online. They have plans for everyday guys who work all the way up to pros. Cheap to boot. Free month to start to see if you like it
jeffro503
11/12/2017 3:15pm
UpTiTe wrote:
In reality, unless you're training specifically for sx races or 40 minute motos, most weight programs mixed with cardio and stretching is the best thing for...

agn5009 wrote:
I've gained a lot of muscle mass over the last 2 years and it definitely makes my arm pump 100 times worse. I rarely got arm...
I've gained a lot of muscle mass over the last 2 years and it definitely makes my arm pump 100 times worse. I rarely got arm pump before my strength training.

I'm also doing a lot more cardio than before. So I believe the muscle mass thing is true.
You're both right in a way. What Uptite said was true about having more strength helps ( tremendously ) , but you do have to balance that with cardio.

Your heart can only pump so much oxygen and blood....and the bigger the muscles , the more they need.

The better the cardio , the more blood and oxygen can get to your muscles , hence having bigger / stronger muscles go hand in hand with the cardio. If you get really strong with big muscles and your cardio sucks , you will get winded early ( look at body builders...they get winded just walking up to the stage , or just taking the garbage out ). Tri-athletes and big time cyclist are usually on the opposite side of that.....great cardio , but built like a bird.

You need a balance of strength and endurance. One can not out weigh the other. The goal is , be fit like a gymnast and have the cardio of a tri-athlete.

On a side note : cardio , if done correctly can start to help within a month or two ( maybe sooner ).....but it actually can take a few years before a person can reach his full potential. Seriously....2 - 3 years. It's tough to stick with it that long though....., and no I haven't been able to do it.
kkawboy14
11/12/2017 5:05pm
I just chase my wife around all day and then for leg day she’s on my back for hours!
UpTiTe
Fantasy
4091st
11/12/2017 8:11pm
UpTiTe wrote:

agn5009 wrote:
I've gained a lot of muscle mass over the last 2 years and it definitely makes my arm pump 100 times worse. I rarely got arm...

I'm not trying to be a dick, but its absolutely a myth. If you're gaining muscle you have to step up cardio. Mprr muscle need more oxygen.
SethCo117
11/13/2017 4:26am
flymoto wrote:
Hey guys, so I have just joined a gym and want to concentrate on moto fitness and strength. There’s so many contradicting articles, some saying you...
Hey guys, so I have just joined a gym and want to concentrate on moto fitness and strength. There’s so many contradicting articles, some saying you should train strength, others say it should be muscular endurance. So what do you guys do? I want to be stronger but all the workouts I have focus on max strength and getting big. If there’s so decent programs out there covering a range of exercise and cardio for a month or 2 that would be amazing. Don’t mind paying aswel.

Cheers
Check out the Coach Robb episodes on the DMXS podcast. Really good information.
11/13/2017 4:30am
Man, I've tried so many things.

Honestly, the best I EVER felt on a bike was when I did P90X for the first time. I dropped 35 pounds and it seemed like I could ride/run/workout forever. I was never exhausted. The problem though...once I finished P90X..now what? I ended up getting hurt and when it came time to workout again I couldn't stand doing something I had memorized to a T.

What I learned from this though, you def. have to push yourself in many different ways. You gotta do plenty of HIIT. Plenty of traditional cardio, and yes you do have to be strong. But FLEXIBILITY..I cannot even speak to how important this is.

As someone else suggested, Yoga is great for this. You will prob. feel goofy doing it at first but its way harder than most people think. Its great for long sustained muscle endurance and, of course, the flexibility component is great.

Just keep it fun! I've been listening to the Coach Robb podcast on DMXS radio and I've enjoyed a lot of what he has talked about. It's got a lot of good information in there that clarifies a lot of things for me.

Oh....and more important than anything....DIET.
11/13/2017 4:44am
Nearly all athletes will tell you that the biggest game changer is your diet. Have a good diet to suit your weight etc and train as well and you will improve so much more and you will be a lot less likely to get injurys.
BobKerr
11/13/2017 5:16am Edited Date/Time 11/13/2017 5:25am
Do you even lift bro? Just had to throw that out there. As others have said, I think heavy lifting would be bad for moto. I got into lifting heavy about 4 yrs ago just for fun, and am now 25 lbs heavier and would probably be at least 25% slower than I used to be on a bike, LOL.

I don't ride anymore, but I was my fastest back when I used to run and mountain bike almost every day. I would alternate those activities. I also did some weights, but maybe only two days a week.
Turbojez
11/14/2017 5:34am
Weight training mixed with calisthenics 2-3 times a week. Running (before) and Kickboxing 2 times a week. KB Stretches you well and helps with cardio. Riding once (the weather...) a week.
If you're old enough having a girlfriend really helps with your cardio too.
You'll be lean and ripped in no time bro.

Post a reply to: Gym routine/workout focus

The Latest