Gym/fitness help for getting in race shape..

Jman277
Edited Date/Time 11/6/2012 6:26pm
A Planet Fitness is opening up really close to my work within the next week so i signed up for $10 a month, couldnt pass it up. I havent been able to workout after getting home due to my kiddos and having a side job i do at nights, so im looking to use my hour lunch break to work out. Im 6'2", 165lbs, 27 years old, now have 2 kiddos and ive been off the bike for 2 years.

I just recently paid off alot of debt so im looking at getting a bike and racing next spring time. Any advice you guys can give of what would help the most in the gym would be appreciated. I know alot of people praise a rowing machine but planet fitness only has "smith" machines, not sure what those are. My cardio is fair, but could be better and ive always had a horrible time with bad arm pump.
|
Bill Dance
11/5/2012 7:32am
I am a lot like you, as far as my riding situation so I will tell you what I found.

My arms pumped up beyond belief in about a half a lap.

You probably think your cardio is fair, but that will fly out the window in 3 turns.

1. Don't buy into that crossfit stuff. Running around lifting weight sloppily against the clock is the worst fitness idea I have ever heard of, but KUDOS to the rich son of a bitch that conned yuppies into thinking it's worth 149 dollars a month.

2. Core strength exercises are king. don't slack on legs either.

3. the rowing machine is great.

4. just being on the bike after a 2 year lay off is a workout in itself. bad technique wears you out faster than anything, so just get some seat time, and you'll find you will fatigue less.
11/5/2012 7:36am
When you are just getting yourself back into shape, spinner bikes are your best friend. For the first week or two you should just ride a spinner for an hour a day to get your body used to working hard and in a fat burning mode again. No matter what shape you are in, with motocross, your cardio could aways be better. As far as arm pump goes the only real thing that gets rid of it is seat time.
IceMan446
11/5/2012 8:12am Edited Date/Time 11/5/2012 8:12am
For cardio, I cycle and do sprints. I HATE running so id rather ride 60 miles on a bike then run 5 miles. But cycling is a really good work out for cardio.

For arm pump, try doing towel pull-ups. Look it up on YouTube. Helps with your grip strength and works your forearms. Helped me out a lot. But also you really have to tell yourself when you are riding to grip your bike with your legs until it gets to be second nature. Nothing will help you more then riding. Nothing. You can be in great shape and be done in two laps if you don't ride enough.
slipdog
11/5/2012 8:36am
Search "Tabata Protocal", you'll be glad you did!

The Shop

TeamGreen
11/5/2012 8:45am
Racer-X..."Virtual Trainer"

A Bicycle and your new Gym membership...Voila!
mattmatt300
11/5/2012 8:56am Edited Date/Time 11/5/2012 8:57am
Live on the spin bike. Go to some cycle classes. They will really work your cardio and there are almost always hot chicks in spandex in them.
Jman277
11/5/2012 9:13am
Looks like ill be checking out the stationary bikes, thanks guys. I also have looked into getting one of those spring grippers to use at home and the office to help with the arm pump, any thoughts on those? Guess ill throw in some strength training after the first few weeks to work on my core/upper body strength(i know when lifting more reps less weight).
MR. X
11/5/2012 9:18am
Live on the spin bike. Go to some cycle classes. They will really work your cardio and there are almost always hot chicks in spandex in...
Live on the spin bike. Go to some cycle classes. They will really work your cardio and there are almost always hot chicks in spandex in them.
X2 I pretend I'm chasing them.
mmcmx
11/5/2012 9:23am
There is a 19 week workout plan by coach Seiji over at racerxvt. I've been thinking of following it, anyone has over here?
kyle450rider
11/5/2012 9:35am
You might also check out bodybuilding.com and look on the forum there for tips as well. The above poster mentioned crossfit and I agree. Not worth your time. I can't believe how many people around my area sign up for that crap.
Preston412
11/5/2012 9:42am
Invest in a heart rate monitor, you will always want to train around your 80% target rate. Not always more reps, you will need to strenght train as well.

Stretch, stretch, stretch, save you from a lot of injuries.

See if they have the TRX set up, if so, go online and watch Racerx VT, you will be amazed at how well it works.

Hopefully, there is spin class you can make regular, also make the rowing machine often, try to row 3000 meters under 20 minutes with a setting of 7.

When you miss gym days, do some thing at home. Push ups, sit ups, leg raises, mountain climbers, bruppies(1 minute, rest 1 minute, do 3 sets), planks(45sec to 1 minute intervals, 3 sets).
FLmxer
Fantasy
905th
11/5/2012 9:43am
Stationary bike and gym. also eliminating carbonated drinks helps a lot for arm pump. The best exercise for the arm pump is holding your arms straight in front of you and reeling a wieght up and down on a dow rod, no slippage, especially on unwinding down. It will mimic arm pump in one reel up and down and it works like nothing else.
Lightning78
11/5/2012 9:44am
I hated going and paying for the gym ..... And anyone that know what kind of douchebags hang out at a 24hr in Huntington Beach know what I mean.

I have a small 1 bed apt and was able to fit all I need for a gym in my front room:

Bought an Exercise bike 30-60mins daily alternating resistance.
Weights and bars can be had cheap at a place like play it again sports.
Last but not least the big exercise ball to lift and do core strength exercises, I even bought some resistance bands 10, 20, and 30lbs all in all I have everything I need and do it at home which unlike most I do better at home. I won't be able to ride for at least a year due to how BADLY I broke my leg but ill be ready when the time comes.
Sunhouse
11/5/2012 9:53am
You might also check out bodybuilding.com and look on the forum there for tips as well. The above poster mentioned crossfit and I agree. Not worth...
You might also check out bodybuilding.com and look on the forum there for tips as well. The above poster mentioned crossfit and I agree. Not worth your time. I can't believe how many people around my area sign up for that crap.
Bodybuilding.com is not your ideal place to go unless you want to chat to 14-20 year olds about which N.O. product is the best. After a few years over there I figured out most of the members didn´t know jack.

Crossfit is a good alternative, I don´t see why several here are so against it. For the average guy with bad fitness and diet crossfir is a good overall workout. It has high intensity, and works the entire body AND cardio. But yes, it is very hard to do well if you aren´t used to working out.
Preston412
11/5/2012 9:54am
mmcmx wrote:
There is a 19 week workout plan by coach Seiji over at racerxvt. I've been thinking of following it, anyone has over here?
I have a trainer and Seiji's articles and videos are his bible for motocross workouts. So, I have to say they are great routines, I even do the TRX routines.
GuyB
Fantasy
1215th
11/5/2012 10:04am
Live on the spin bike. Go to some cycle classes. They will really work your cardio and there are almost always hot chicks in spandex in...
MR. X wrote:
What happens if you catch them?
Sunhouse
11/5/2012 10:06am
MR. X wrote:
GuyB wrote:
jail
Bill Dance
11/5/2012 10:07am Edited Date/Time 11/5/2012 10:12am
You might also check out bodybuilding.com and look on the forum there for tips as well. The above poster mentioned crossfit and I agree. Not worth...
bodybuilding.com is home of the world's most famous forum thread of all time. The "do I have potential" thread, as well as the world's most famous, and now deceased troll, Zyzz.

My biggest gripe with crossfit is the f act that it all started as an ALTERNATIVE to expensive gym memberships. i.e., dragging tires in your yard, ect. Then, it blossomed into a 149 dollar (quadruple most gyms) membership place to work out, and also seems to bee more about the social occasion than anything.

But again, kudos to the guy who thought of it. Practically no overhead. You rent out a non climate controlled shitty warehouse, stuff it full of tractor tires and a few old rusty free weights that Gold's threw away, and charge 149 a month for a membership and the trout swim upstream in droves to pay you to use it.

Most crossfit "boxes" (cant call it a gym) have some sort of a "wall of fame" for injuries sustained during training. bloddy knuckles, ect. Am I the only one who sees something wrong with that?

crossfit is really nothing more than a place to throw away money and your back. dead lifting against the clock against a bunch of single mothers? for real?
Sunhouse
11/5/2012 10:17am
Bill Dance wrote:
bodybuilding.com is home of the world's most famous forum thread of all time. The "do I have potential" thread, as well as the world's most famous...
bodybuilding.com is home of the world's most famous forum thread of all time. The "do I have potential" thread, as well as the world's most famous, and now deceased troll, Zyzz.

My biggest gripe with crossfit is the f act that it all started as an ALTERNATIVE to expensive gym memberships. i.e., dragging tires in your yard, ect. Then, it blossomed into a 149 dollar (quadruple most gyms) membership place to work out, and also seems to bee more about the social occasion than anything.

But again, kudos to the guy who thought of it. Practically no overhead. You rent out a non climate controlled shitty warehouse, stuff it full of tractor tires and a few old rusty free weights that Gold's threw away, and charge 149 a month for a membership and the trout swim upstream in droves to pay you to use it.

Most crossfit "boxes" (cant call it a gym) have some sort of a "wall of fame" for injuries sustained during training. bloddy knuckles, ect. Am I the only one who sees something wrong with that?

crossfit is really nothing more than a place to throw away money and your back. dead lifting against the clock against a bunch of single mothers? for real?
I have never been to a place like the ones you describe. But I don´t doubt that you have a point. However, the ones I HAVE been to have been really nice, clean and they don´t charge as much as you mentioned. Fact is, most people can get a normal gym membership and get the same crossfit workout there, you can find alternative excercises to do. You don´t need tractor tires etc. Talk to a PT and he will show you which excersises would suffice as a replacement.
GuyB
Fantasy
1215th
11/5/2012 10:21am
Bill Dance wrote:
bodybuilding.com is home of the world's most famous forum thread of all time. The "do I have potential" thread, as well as the world's most famous...

I'm hoping you and Zyzz aren't related. Smile
Bill Dance
11/5/2012 10:22am
Bill Dance wrote:

Sunhouse wrote:
I have never been to a place like the ones you describe. But I don´t doubt that you have a point. However, the ones I HAVE...
I have never been to a place like the ones you describe. But I don´t doubt that you have a point. However, the ones I HAVE been to have been really nice, clean and they don´t charge as much as you mentioned. Fact is, most people can get a normal gym membership and get the same crossfit workout there, you can find alternative excercises to do. You don´t need tractor tires etc. Talk to a PT and he will show you which excersises would suffice as a replacement.
No doubt they are all not created equally as they are franchised. How many have you been to? A few might be in decent, yuppi-type plaza areas, wedged in between the Bed Bath and Beyond and the Petsmart. But many of the are as I described.
Roscoe33
11/5/2012 10:39am Edited Date/Time 11/5/2012 11:29am
nothing beats arm pump better than seat time and confidence.
you need to build a cardio base for endurance, indoors I suggest rollers with a road bike for work on balance.
target indoors 1- 2 hours per day 3 days week. for base.
to train to ride a MX bike nothing beats another bike road or mtn.bike anything else and you sacrifice balance you don't have the seat time to do cardio without it.
boredom is the big enemy of cardio endurance this is what builds your mental training base.
flyinb501
Fantasy
272nd
11/5/2012 10:59am
FLmxer wrote:
Stationary bike and gym. also eliminating carbonated drinks helps a lot for arm pump. The best exercise for the arm pump is holding your arms straight...
Stationary bike and gym. also eliminating carbonated drinks helps a lot for arm pump. The best exercise for the arm pump is holding your arms straight in front of you and reeling a wieght up and down on a dow rod, no slippage, especially on unwinding down. It will mimic arm pump in one reel up and down and it works like nothing else.
Does this work for you? I have heard many times that exercises like this that strengthen those arm muscles just make you more prone to arm pump...
IceMan446
11/5/2012 11:02am
Bill Dance wrote:

If done correctly, its a good workout. But you cant just trust anyone and go to any random crossfit class and expect great things to come. Just like finding a 24hour fitness trainer, there are good ones and really bad ones.

I work out with a guy that trains a big name MMA guy from California. Mixed in with other forms or training it has worked very well for me. So knocking all crossfit trainers is going overboard, as would be knocking every gym hired trainer.

If everything they did was bad, professionals in other sports wouldn't do it. Especially professionals getting paid to perform. They wouldn't put their body through something that opens them up to injury more then anything else does. But with proper form and technique it can be very beneficial.
goose1229
Fantasy
2139th
11/5/2012 11:37am
Bill Dance sounds like he want to a crossfit "box" once and ended up leaving butthurt. I have been to a few crossfit boxes across the states as well as in Europe and all of them are perfectly maintained and a great place to push yourself. Also sure you can sign up for your Gold's gym membership but it doesn't give you the level of training or development that the crossfit atmosphere allows. Also, you don't just run around lifting shit as fast as you can. You have to learn good form before they let you lift any sort of weight or "race the single mothers"

Crossfit is described as "constantly varied, high intensity, functional movement" Sounds a lot like Motocross to me. Or maybe I am wrong about both.

Also, Gold's gym, Bally's total fitness, Planet Fitness are all glorified home gyms so how is the guy who started crossfit somehow the bad guy?

End of rant
shuggs
11/5/2012 11:41am
slipdog wrote:
Search "Tabata Protocal", you'll be glad you did!
Being on the wrong side of 40, carrying too much weight etc I started going to the gym at the beginning of this year to help with:
Injuries
Sitting at a PC all day

Noticed a bit of difference after a while and got speaking to one of the instructors who gave me a couple of Tabata exercises to try so now:
1. I run for 20 mins alternating speed from decent walk to a fast run every minute.
2. On rowing machine 6 sets of 10 secs flat out followed by 20 secs rest.
3. Bike 30 secs flat out followed by 90 secs medium pace (am trying to get this down to 60 secs easy pace).

Only thing is this is a killer (for this old man anyway)! But I do notice a difference as no longer do I need a break after 15 mins on bike and recovery is easier - there were times I suffered for days after bike time. I also do quite a few exercises throughout the week - push ups, sit ups, kettle bells, medicine ball etc - all just to vary things up to keep it interesting.
kyle450rider
11/5/2012 12:05pm
Sunhouse wrote:
Bodybuilding.com is not your ideal place to go unless you want to chat to 14-20 year olds about which N.O. product is the best. After a...
Bodybuilding.com is not your ideal place to go unless you want to chat to 14-20 year olds about which N.O. product is the best. After a few years over there I figured out most of the members didn´t know jack.

Crossfit is a good alternative, I don´t see why several here are so against it. For the average guy with bad fitness and diet crossfir is a good overall workout. It has high intensity, and works the entire body AND cardio. But yes, it is very hard to do well if you aren´t used to working out.
While I will admit there are plenty of Bra's on that site who like to debate the latest and greatest no explode and pre-workout supplements there are more than enough knowledgable people who can point you in the right direction.

Some of the members over there are actual fitness competitiors,body builders, and educated personal trainers. I would imagine they would know more about fitness and wellbeing than some jo-shmo running a "crossfit" out of the end of the the mini mall.
Sunhouse
11/5/2012 12:12pm
Sunhouse wrote:
Bodybuilding.com is not your ideal place to go unless you want to chat to 14-20 year olds about which N.O. product is the best. After a...

While I will admit there are plenty of Bra's on that site who like to debate the latest and greatest no explode and pre-workout supplements there...
While I will admit there are plenty of Bra's on that site who like to debate the latest and greatest no explode and pre-workout supplements there are more than enough knowledgable people who can point you in the right direction.

Some of the members over there are actual fitness competitiors,body builders, and educated personal trainers. I would imagine they would know more about fitness and wellbeing than some jo-shmo running a "crossfit" out of the end of the the mini mall.
Some of them yes, but unfortunately most of them compete in fitness or body building as you pointed out. The sort of training and supplementation they do isn´t ideal for motocross. They have the basics down, but I wouldn´t consult BB.com for advice on how to increase fitness for a sport "where the engine does all the work".
GuyB
Fantasy
1215th
11/5/2012 12:18pm
goose1229 wrote:
Bill Dance sounds like he want to a crossfit "box" once and ended up leaving butthurt. I have been to a few crossfit boxes across the...
Bill Dance sounds like he want to a crossfit "box" once and ended up leaving butthurt. I have been to a few crossfit boxes across the states as well as in Europe and all of them are perfectly maintained and a great place to push yourself. Also sure you can sign up for your Gold's gym membership but it doesn't give you the level of training or development that the crossfit atmosphere allows. Also, you don't just run around lifting shit as fast as you can. You have to learn good form before they let you lift any sort of weight or "race the single mothers"

Crossfit is described as "constantly varied, high intensity, functional movement" Sounds a lot like Motocross to me. Or maybe I am wrong about both.

Also, Gold's gym, Bally's total fitness, Planet Fitness are all glorified home gyms so how is the guy who started crossfit somehow the bad guy?

End of rant
Bill Dance was fishing (much like he's done with many of his other accounts), but his license was just revoked.
mattmatt300
11/5/2012 1:29pm
MR. X wrote:
GuyB wrote:
Sunhouse wrote:
jail
I lol'd pretty hard at that one. Gotta say on the CrossFit topic that I agree it's a big joke. I have a friend that has been doing it 4 days a week for over a year and looks the same as when he started. But he loves telling people about his latest WOD...

Post a reply to: Gym/fitness help for getting in race shape..

The Latest