Guys who ride/race sand alot, got a question.

Related:
Create New Tag

6/11/2019 8:34 PM

In short, I'm a mouth breather due to sinus surgery. When I ride sand, mainly with other people (roost), I have a hell of a time with keeping the sand out of my mouth.

That was one of my biggest battles (aside from 4cs and carpal tunnel lol) in 2016 at Baja. I'd come off the track puking from sand in my throat.

How do you keep the sand out of your mouth? I tried a bandana in my last Moto in 2016 at baja but felt like it restricted airflow too much. Have you used anything?

The regional at Baja is just a couple weekends away and I need to come up with a plan!

|

6/11/2019 8:44 PM

Panty hose material.

|

6/11/2019 8:49 PM

N95 mask soaked in Bel-Ray

|

6/11/2019 8:50 PM

observeroffacts wrote:

Panty hose material.

I may try that

|

6/11/2019 9:01 PM

I feel your pain on the 4CS crap.... upgraded to Cone Valve

Try not to follow, also maybe try to block any vents in your chin bar.

|

6/11/2019 9:47 PM

We had that covered back in the 70's.

|

You kids get off my lawn!

2013 KTM450 Factory Edition
Projects......lots of projects!

6/11/2019 10:18 PM

scrip for Nasonex- not kidding. big diff in ability to breath thru the nose.

|

6/12/2019 12:47 AM

observeroffacts wrote:

Panty hose material.

Meister wrote:

I may try that

He does mean over your mouth, not no your legs, lol.
Actually I can vouch for this it works well.

|

6/12/2019 4:38 AM

Teamoatmealpie wrote:

scrip for Nasonex- not kidding. big diff in ability to breath thru the nose.

Flonase helps but full Sprint during a moto and being out of shape can lead to excessive mouth breathing lol.

|

6/12/2019 4:46 AM

I believe Shock Doctor used to make mouth guards with breathing holes/ports molded into them. This might allow you to close your mouth but continue to breathe. You could pick one up at a sporting goods store and give it a shot.

|

6/12/2019 5:25 AM

Those cheap white face masks. They fit loose enough that it does not impair your breathing, but blocks the sand from getting in your mouth.

|

6/12/2019 5:27 AM

2nd on the dust mask. Just make sure it has the valve.

|

6/12/2019 5:33 AM

Holeshot. lead. win.

What else can I help you with?

|

6/12/2019 6:32 AM

Meister wrote:

In short, I'm a mouth breather due to sinus surgery. When I ride sand, mainly with other people (roost), I have a hell of a time with keeping the sand out of my mouth.

That was one of my biggest battles (aside from 4cs and carpal tunnel lol) in 2016 at Baja. I'd come off the track puking from sand in my throat.

How do you keep the sand out of your mouth? I tried a bandana in my last Moto in 2016 at baja but felt like it restricted airflow too much. Have you used anything?

The regional at Baja is just a couple weekends away and I need to come up with a plan!

I had the same thing happen to me a number of times. Not a nice experience. I truly felt I couldn't clear my throat ones at a race on a sandtrack. It was to much sand in it to even throw up. It's hard to break a habit, and it's hard to prevent since it happens so fast when the roost hits bullseye. I feel bad even thinking about it.

|

I HATE FOURSTROKES
www.racelife.se

6/12/2019 6:39 AM

Would the $30 AC system help ?

It’s like a breath Rite strip x10

|

6/12/2019 6:48 AM

I have the same problem, Nasal strips work great.

|

6/12/2019 6:56 AM
Edited Date/Time: 6/12/2019 6:57 AM

Shock doctor has a football kind of mouth guard with like a lip guard and holes so you can breathe through I had it before it’s good and will protect your teeth and help with not getting sand in your mouth.

|

6/12/2019 7:07 AM

It looks dorky, but running your visor a bit lower can do wonders for blocking that constant sand spray. Grew up riding and racing in NJ, which is mostly sand, and dork visor was the simple/quick fix.

|

Twitter: @bayodome
Instagram: @bayodome

6/12/2019 7:52 AM

Markee wrote:

Holeshot. lead. win.

What else can I help you with?

I'll be racing with some fast mfers. Not trying to get cocky. I'll be eating roost for sure lol. I've ridden my Honda 4 times since I got it and that's the only time I've ridden since 16. I'm out of shape, so it'll be survival to be honest. With luck and good starts I'm just thinking mayyyybe top 10, and thats stretching it. Lol

I'd be worried about that breather hole on the mouth guard acting as a sand scoop.

I'm a painter by trade, so I use respirators and dust masks occasionally. I feel like the dust mask would give me the same lack of oxygen feel that the bandana did.

I did lower my visor the last practice I rode up there over the weekend. Didn't seem to help too much.

|

6/12/2019 7:57 AM

Meister wrote:

I'll be racing with some fast mfers. Not trying to get cocky. I'll be eating roost for sure lol. I've ridden my Honda 4 times since I got it and that's the only time I've ridden since 16. I'm out of shape, so it'll be survival to be honest. With luck and good starts I'm just thinking mayyyybe top 10, and thats stretching it. Lol

I'd be worried about that breather hole on the mouth guard acting as a sand scoop.

I'm a painter by trade, so I use respirators and dust masks occasionally. I feel like the dust mask would give me the same lack of oxygen feel that the bandana did.

I did lower my visor the last practice I rode up there over the weekend. Didn't seem to help too much.

There’s different kinds I just put the pic as a example. Go to dicks sporting goods or amazon for ones with smaller holes

|

6/12/2019 8:19 AM

I just spit it out and clean my helmet afterwards. If it's good enough for Herlings it's good enough for me. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

|

6/12/2019 9:12 AM

Oh I definitely spit what I could. When it gets stuck in your throat, it becomes a problem. I was also mildly tempted to look like a goon n run a small camel back just to wash it down if need be

|

6/12/2019 9:24 AM

Meister wrote:

Oh I definitely spit what I could. When it gets stuck in your throat, it becomes a problem. I was also mildly tempted to look like a goon n run a small camel back just to wash it down if need be

Whatever it takes. I've just accepted it when riding in sand. I don't like anything to block it because, to me, that just decreases airflow and my tongue is in the spokes enough as it is.

|

6/12/2019 9:26 AM

DavetheVintageGuy wrote:

We had that covered back in the 70's.

The old face guards like this would be the best solution in my view. Problem would be getting hold of one and goggles (with lenses, tear offs etc) that would work with it, but not impossible.

|

6/12/2019 9:28 AM
Edited Date/Time: 6/12/2019 9:28 AM

Could you not just close your mouth when getting roosted? The only time you're going to get a face full of sand that will fill your mouth is when directly following through a corner. Pretty sure we all breathe through our mouths while riding. You'd be winded real quick if you tried to breathe only through your nose.

|

6/12/2019 9:29 AM
Edited Date/Time: 6/12/2019 9:30 AM

Ebs wrote:

N95 mask soaked in Bel-Ray

Oh oh, air filter oil argument material.
I'll start, BULLSHIT. Maxima FFT

|

The older I get, the faster I was.

6/12/2019 9:29 AM

|

6/13/2019 10:51 AM

I've been racing on and off at Southwick for over 40 years. I remember when I switched from a Scott mask to a Jofa I took some big gulps of a Sand-wich on the first lap. Went back to a Scott (and sometimes Carrera) face mask after that race. These days I choose my goggles very carefully as some pinch my nose more than others. 100%, and Scott goggles work best for me. I try hard not to be a mouth breather. I'm also going to try some Breathe Right nasal strips soon.

|

Name withheld... Esquire

6/13/2019 10:32 PM

Average Joe wrote:

Those cheap white face masks. They fit loose enough that it does not impair your breathing, but blocks the sand from getting in your mouth.

Never tried it before but I would think that a either a surgical type mask or one like everyone wears in Japan - the ones that fit flatter on your face might work pretty well.

|

RIP Danny "Magoo" Chandler 1959-2010