GuyB...Question about Pit Bits/Richard Matchett

mxtech1
Edited Date/Time 8/11/2015 9:12am
In Pit Bits, you had an interesting picture from RCH that caught my attention.

"This will be Richard Matchett's last season as Broc Tickle's mechanic, as he's planning on going to school for mechanical engineering after the end of the season"

Any explanation why? What does he want to do after he graduates? Is this part of a long term strategy by RCH to develop a "Team Engineer?"

I personally understand the mechanic jobs are not as sugar-coated as they seem, but he's at the top! It's not like he's a privateer mechanic scraping by. You see many young men working on an Engineering discipline to try & get a foot into a racing team.

Regardless, my hats off to him for stepping away from an awesome gig to pursue education and better himself.
|
731chopper
Fantasy
355th
8/11/2015 8:39am
I'd imagine there are a lot more opportunities both inside and outside the motorsport world for somebody with his mechanic experience coupled with a mechanical engineering degree. He looks young so it makes sense to me. Good for him.
mxtech1
8/11/2015 8:43am
731chopper wrote:
I'd imagine there are a lot more opportunities both inside and outside the motorsport world for somebody with his mechanic experience coupled with a mechanical engineering...
I'd imagine there are a lot more opportunities both inside and outside the motorsport world for somebody with his mechanic experience coupled with a mechanical engineering degree. He looks young so it makes sense to me. Good for him.
I agree. Engineers of any practice are in high demand right now.

For most young men of that age, the RCH gig is rock solid. Must have some great ambitions to step away from that for 4-6 years to go through the education and internship process.
mattyhamz2
Fantasy
846th
8/11/2015 8:53am
Good for him and good luck to him. But where does this leave RCH with mechanics for next year? Both Tickle's and Roczen's mechanics are leaving. Doesn't look good for the RCH boys.
8/11/2015 8:57am
In related news, neither of them will be traveling through dozens of cities next year, and each will see their family more often. I think it will help him move up to do something important enough to stay home, see his family/not travel, and make more money. Makes sense to me.

The Shop

wwoberg
8/11/2015 9:03am
A BSME with that experience will be highly sought after. He will have no problems landing a good job....in any industry. I hire Mechanical's and would sign him up in an instant once he got his degree.
8/11/2015 9:12am
Why? How much is he making right now? 40 k? Less? Engineer can make 75+ a year or two out of school and 100+ 10 years in.

Post a reply to: GuyB...Question about Pit Bits/Richard Matchett

The Latest