Guy Martin Proper MX

Bruce372
The Caistor track in the Lincolnshire Wolds, used to hold club races for years and is set in a beautiful location of the country, with Cadwell Park road races and Skegness Beach races down the street. Also in the area is a big Honda road racing team facility, or there used to be, so the whole area is steeped in motorsports.

Guy Martin has bought the track with the goal of bringing in some big races. Really cool to see this.

Also cool, Tommy Searle and Billy bolt making great content right now as well...

https://youtu.be/6qomPfZVRcU
|
Mucktub
10/19/2021 7:18am
If you caught this track right (weather) it used to be a good track, I think Honda used to do testing there if my memory serves me well.

We went to the final practice day there when it shut down about 2 years ago, the guy promised he'd prep the track, but he didn't it was rock hard blue groove. Wrecked a brand new tyre. Its no wonder the guy couldn't make it work.
luke11
Fantasy
2280th
10/19/2021 8:15am
Can’t be anything but grateful to Guy Martin for investing British MX. Building that place so it can host a GP won’t have been cheap.
I just pray that is mere mortals get at least one chance to ride it. It’s frustrating when we see these amazing tracks built for mxgp like Matterly, donnington and the IoW years ago but the people living here never get the chance to ride the places.
Last Braaap
Fantasy
4382nd
10/19/2021 9:01am
Oh. Alfie Smith! Wasn't he like riding World MX1 for Aprilia for a season or something?

Btw. Guy Martin is such a great bloke. Always love to watch his videos too bad i can't understand shit he says... Anyhoo he is the best thing that happend to Grimsby since the roman invasion... for sure. Cheerful

The Shop

scott_nz
Fantasy
840th
10/19/2021 10:17am
Most tracks world wide make more money from open practice days , seems weird he doesn’t want that revenue
PJRAUS
10/19/2021 10:32am
That is definitely proper!
Mucktub
10/19/2021 10:35am
While I agree with you Scott, I think that it's more to do with the fact that most ordinary riders aren't truly capable of riding these tracks properly. When we go to Matterley for example, my son always asks if I'd like to ride the track, but I'm sure I wouldn't get over most of the jumps clean so what's the point. Practice tracks have to accommodate all levels, GP tracks don't.
Mucktub
10/19/2021 10:40am
Oh. Alfie Smith! Wasn't he like riding World MX1 for Aprilia for a season or something? Btw. Guy Martin is such a great bloke. Always love...
Oh. Alfie Smith! Wasn't he like riding World MX1 for Aprilia for a season or something?

Btw. Guy Martin is such a great bloke. Always love to watch his videos too bad i can't understand shit he says... Anyhoo he is the best thing that happend to Grimsby since the roman invasion... for sure. Cheerful
Alfie rode MX1 for a number of seasons, strange really because it was like he just suddenly appeared on the scene, rode Yams and Aprillias from what I remember.
Teejay
Fantasy
890th
10/19/2021 2:50pm
Did they add new dirt to the track? It was always rock hard white chalk when we used to ride there.
scott_nz
Fantasy
840th
10/19/2021 3:27pm
Oh. Alfie Smith! Wasn't he like riding World MX1 for Aprilia for a season or something? Btw. Guy Martin is such a great bloke. Always love...

Mucktub wrote:
Alfie rode MX1 for a number of seasons, strange really because it was like he just suddenly appeared on the scene, rode Yams and Aprillias from...
Alfie rode MX1 for a number of seasons, strange really because it was like he just suddenly appeared on the scene, rode Yams and Aprillias from what I remember.
He did ride for hm plant KTM at one stage too I think
10/19/2021 4:01pm
Guy Martin is awesome. Look for the video of him and his airplane engine sitting on a trailer. I believe it drove itself through his barn at some point lol
philG
10/19/2021 4:04pm
Bruce372 wrote:
The Caistor track in the Lincolnshire Wolds, used to hold club races for years and is set in a beautiful location of the country, with Cadwell...
The Caistor track in the Lincolnshire Wolds, used to hold club races for years and is set in a beautiful location of the country, with Cadwell Park road races and Skegness Beach races down the street. Also in the area is a big Honda road racing team facility, or there used to be, so the whole area is steeped in motorsports.

Guy Martin has bought the track with the goal of bringing in some big races. Really cool to see this.

Also cool, Tommy Searle and Billy bolt making great content right now as well...

Be great to see a new venue on the British Championship Calendar, but it is in the arsehole of nowhere, as far as the UK goes.

The Honda Team HQ is there, because the guy that ran it set it up there, because he lives there, and Cadwell Park is a great circuit that always draws a crowd.

Track looks mint and i wish him all the best with it, we desperately need another proper track in the UK , so many have gone, and the few that are left are over used and no longer the jewels that they were.

Local guys rave about the layout, if not the surface, but its been a practice track for ages, so i have no need to go there, i dont ride unless i race as a rule, and if i do its as local as i can get.

As far as GP's go , it needs to get on the British Championship Calendar first to prove it can cope, MX in that part of the world isnt as strong as it was, i rode up there back in the 80's and it was a bit of backwater even then, but there are lots of riders within an hour, who must be pissed off with Fat Cats , DMP and Uncle Eddies by now.

The tourist board in Skegness are mad for the beach race, i was involved in the first three of those, and after a bit of initial scepticsm , they see the benefit to the local economy, and back, it 100%

Believe me they need people up that way, its the local 'coastal' destination for our area in the Midlands, and there is very little industry in the county, and it isnt a highly populated area.

The nearest comparison i can come up with is 'Wyoming by the Sea'... That is probably the hilliest bit of the county, apart from Cadwell Park

Bruce372
10/19/2021 4:13pm
Bruce372 wrote:
The Caistor track in the Lincolnshire Wolds, used to hold club races for years and is set in a beautiful location of the country, with Cadwell...

philG wrote:
Be great to see a new venue on the British Championship Calendar, but it is in the arsehole of nowhere, as far as the UK goes...
Be great to see a new venue on the British Championship Calendar, but it is in the arsehole of nowhere, as far as the UK goes.

The Honda Team HQ is there, because the guy that ran it set it up there, because he lives there, and Cadwell Park is a great circuit that always draws a crowd.

Track looks mint and i wish him all the best with it, we desperately need another proper track in the UK , so many have gone, and the few that are left are over used and no longer the jewels that they were.

Local guys rave about the layout, if not the surface, but its been a practice track for ages, so i have no need to go there, i dont ride unless i race as a rule, and if i do its as local as i can get.

As far as GP's go , it needs to get on the British Championship Calendar first to prove it can cope, MX in that part of the world isnt as strong as it was, i rode up there back in the 80's and it was a bit of backwater even then, but there are lots of riders within an hour, who must be pissed off with Fat Cats , DMP and Uncle Eddies by now.

The tourist board in Skegness are mad for the beach race, i was involved in the first three of those, and after a bit of initial scepticsm , they see the benefit to the local economy, and back, it 100%

Believe me they need people up that way, its the local 'coastal' destination for our area in the Midlands, and there is very little industry in the county, and it isnt a highly populated area.

The nearest comparison i can come up with is 'Wyoming by the Sea'... That is probably the hilliest bit of the county, apart from Cadwell Park

Arsehole of nowhere? Fuck off.
Bruce372
10/19/2021 4:45pm
Unbelievable, typical Brits.

A track closes, lays dormant. Road racing legend and TV personality buys it, renovates and plans to hold races snd other events.

One guy doesn't like the dirt.

One guy can't ride a pro track

One guy can't figure out a 40 mile drive from Britain's longest motorway.
Mucktub
10/19/2021 4:47pm Edited Date/Time 10/19/2021 4:47pm
Bruce372 wrote:

philG wrote:
Be great to see a new venue on the British Championship Calendar, but it is in the arsehole of nowhere, as far as the UK goes...

Arsehole of nowhere is a bit harsh Phil, I hope it is a success. Whitby was a success for a couple of years and is also not the easiest place to get to. You do find in the UK that the Southerners tend to moan about traveling North and vice versa I suppose, but other than Duns, there aren't many Northern tracks used for British Championships anymore.

For any big meetings to take place the surrounding land owners will be needed to provide the fields for camping and car parking, from memory the site isn't that big, so providing enough space for the pits as well as the camping and car park areas is going cost the organisers, but more tracks the better.

I hear Fatcats might be sold for other uses.
crowe660
Fantasy
4066th
10/19/2021 4:59pm
Mucktub wrote:
While I agree with you Scott, I think that it's more to do with the fact that most ordinary riders aren't truly capable of riding these...
While I agree with you Scott, I think that it's more to do with the fact that most ordinary riders aren't truly capable of riding these tracks properly. When we go to Matterley for example, my son always asks if I'd like to ride the track, but I'm sure I wouldn't get over most of the jumps clean so what's the point. Practice tracks have to accommodate all levels, GP tracks don't.
You should see how many people show up to ride Redbud on open ride days..
Mucktub
10/19/2021 5:02pm Edited Date/Time 10/19/2021 5:21pm
OK then Bruce, even the slowest C class guy can wobble around any track, but when you have some faster novice/intermediate guys who have plenty of balls but not enough talent on tracks set up primarily for the fastest riders in the country or even world. Carnage follows.

That's what happened at Whitby, the track improved to the point where the ordinary club riders were crashing their brains out and then not returning. Which meant the club then struggled to keep going due to dwindling entries.

When you go practice at Glen Helen or Lommel it's not identical to the track the pros ride when the championship is town.

I'm still quite partial to hitting big jumps when the conditions are favourable but all I said was the jumps at pro tracks such as Matterley would take some clearing even for a reasonably experienced rider, that makes the fastest guys so exciting to watch, they do things that mere mortals struggle to. All I was eluding to was if it's gonna be a practice track it has to cater for the majority and not the elite.
Mucktub
10/19/2021 5:11pm
Mucktub wrote:
While I agree with you Scott, I think that it's more to do with the fact that most ordinary riders aren't truly capable of riding these...
crowe660 wrote:
You should see how many people show up to ride Redbud on open ride days..
Yeah, but most won't be hitting Laroccos leap.

Back in the 90's when Foxhills hosted the Brit GP, we decided to go and ride the track when the opportunity came at a club meeting, we were reasonable riders back then. We'd never experienced jumps with take take offs as steep as nearly all the jumps on that track. It made the track hideous to ride for the ordinary riders.

Surely you know that just because your wheels leave the ground doesn't mean you've jumped a particular jump as it's intended to be jumped.
Bruce372
10/19/2021 5:14pm Edited Date/Time 10/19/2021 5:15pm
Mucktub wrote:
OK then Bruce, even the slowest C class guy can wobble around any track, but when you have some faster novice/intermediate guys who have plenty of...
OK then Bruce, even the slowest C class guy can wobble around any track, but when you have some faster novice/intermediate guys who have plenty of balls but not enough talent on tracks set up primarily for the fastest riders in the country or even world. Carnage follows.

That's what happened at Whitby, the track improved to the point where the ordinary club riders were crashing their brains out and then not returning. Which meant the club then struggled to keep going due to dwindling entries.

When you go practice at Glen Helen or Lommel it's not identical to the track the pros ride when the championship is town.

I'm still quite partial to hitting big jumps when the conditions are favourable but all I said was the jumps at pro tracks such as Matterley would take some clearing even for a reasonably experienced rider, that makes the fastest guys so exciting to watch, they do things that mere mortals struggle to. All I was eluding to was if it's gonna be a practice track it has to cater for the majority and not the elite.
Lol, I am a C class guy and I've raced Glen Helen and red bud. It's pretty much the same layout they ran for the nationals, maybe a bit shorter to save on diesel and flaggers.

The promoters made money and no one died.
Mucktub
10/19/2021 5:19pm
You obviously enjoy flat landing the fuck out of the big obstacless then.
Bruce372
10/19/2021 5:25pm
Mucktub wrote:
Nah, roll them. Lol
crowe660
Fantasy
4066th
10/19/2021 5:28pm
Mucktub wrote:
You seem to be really hung up on jumps. I’ve been riding Redbud for 25 years, and have never thought twice about hitting Larocco’s Leap. That jump isn’t what makes riding that track a border line religious experience.
scott_nz
Fantasy
840th
10/19/2021 6:03pm
Bruce372 wrote:
Unbelievable, typical Brits. A track closes, lays dormant. Road racing legend and TV personality buys it, renovates and plans to hold races snd other events. One...
Unbelievable, typical Brits.

A track closes, lays dormant. Road racing legend and TV personality buys it, renovates and plans to hold races snd other events.

One guy doesn't like the dirt.

One guy can't ride a pro track

One guy can't figure out a 40 mile drive from Britain's longest motorway.
pom's complaining, thats unusual Wink
66TR66
10/19/2021 6:09pm
I love anything Guy Martin does, if his mouth was a weapon, it would be a Gatling Gun.
Teejay
Fantasy
890th
10/20/2021 12:07am Edited Date/Time 10/20/2021 12:19am
I wasn’t complaining about the dirt I’m a fan of hardpack I just wondered what they’d done to it as it looked like a completely different surface to when I last rode there.

I’m excited about the whole thing, it just seemed as if it was going to be another proper natural terrain track left to get swallowed up by Mother Nature. Glad someone with enthusiasm has took it over. They don’t come much more enthusiastic than guy! Looking forward to seeing how it unfolds.
RG1
10/20/2021 12:57am
All credit to guy and his team for putting in the time money and effort to try and give us another world class motocross facility in the UK at a time where it is desperately needed. It will take a lot for it to come close to Matterley as a track/facility, but Tommy Searle knows what it takes to host races at the very top level and he certainly seemed to think the track was capable of it. The only concerns I would have is how much area they have for paddock/camping etc. I went there for a round of the British 2 stroke about 10 or so years ago and it was quite small in that regard. I’m sure it’s all in hand though
36Wheeler
10/20/2021 1:02am
They'll need hard standing pits to host a GP. I think it'll be awesome for British championship rounds and one off events though
10/20/2021 1:56am
Bruce372 wrote:
The Midlands has the cultural gems of Coventry and Birmingham I'll have you know, everywhere is a back water compared to the bustling, vibrant streets of Wood End and Lozells.
luke11
Fantasy
2280th
10/20/2021 2:44am
Bruce372 wrote:
The Midlands has the cultural gems of Coventry and Birmingham I'll have you know, everywhere is a back water compared to the bustling, vibrant streets of...
The Midlands has the cultural gems of Coventry and Birmingham I'll have you know, everywhere is a back water compared to the bustling, vibrant streets of Wood End and Lozells.
Ahh king George knows of some of Birmingham’s classiest areas I see
Mucktub
10/20/2021 2:54am
Let's face it I'm sure Guys not short of a few quid, and his petrol head persona will help get things done, so whatever is needed to realise the Thoresways potential I'm sure will get done.

Post a reply to: Guy Martin Proper MX

The Latest