Guy Cooper interview

Related:
Create New Tag

6/18/2020 7:17 PM

This dude is one-of-a-kind. Super Coop!

https://m.

|

6/18/2020 7:28 PM

AWESOME, cant wait to hear it,

|

6/18/2020 7:29 PM

Great show.

|

6/18/2020 7:48 PM

Great show Ping!

Tell Coop I have a Yamaha riding lawnmower. How about that! smile

|

6/18/2020 8:04 PM

Ping, you guys knocked it out of the park on this conversation. Almost 5 hours. As a Kansas/ Oklahoma kid all the jokes, names, references, tracks were familiar. And Guy is just plain a good dude. Thanks. You done good! 👍

|

6/18/2020 11:10 PM

Noice!!

Keep em comin guys.

|

Support those who protect us....our military, law enforcement and 1st responders.



6/18/2020 11:28 PM

Awesome Oklahoma road trip shows! Reynard next?

|

6/19/2020 2:47 AM
Edited Date/Time: 6/19/2020 2:50 AM

“Come here, I’ll pick you up”. CLASSIC


All time interview. Coop is and always will be Moto gold. I could listen to him talk all day.

|

6/19/2020 11:02 AM

Yes!!

|

6/19/2020 11:35 AM

Awesome interview. Ping & GL are knocking it out of the park with this show! Coop is one of the all time greats. So humble and thankful for all that he has.
Found his comments about MX Sports quite telling. As organized and well kept todays outdoors look now, it is pretty clear that having one promoter has many downsides. Rushing the event in one day for TV, cookie cutting the tracks (deep ripping, over watering, too many manmade obstacles, making unnecessary changes to classic tracks -ie. filling in start and adding man made jumps at Unadilla etc etc) same stagnant schedule . It goes on and on. All this flash and the purse isn't much better than the old days. Treating Cooper like this after he developed a world class facility and followed protocol is laughable, yet not surprising.

|

6/19/2020 12:10 PM

I really thought he was a wild man. Obviously not.

Loved his honesty about the hierarchy of factory racing on a team and the national race series and the Coombs.

Rode the 1997 Suzuki Cup at his track. Got hurt bad the last lap of +30. He came to the hospital and saw all the racers that got hurt and came like 3 times during the week to see all of us. Never forgot that. Never had a promoter come see me before or since.

|

6/19/2020 12:33 PM

They completely ruined Dilla, formerly the best track on the planet.... Now days it's all county fair race'n...

|

www.bettercallsaul.com
Die Antwoord

6/19/2020 12:42 PM

I have a jersey I would love to get signed by Guy! Photo

|

6/19/2020 2:13 PM

Guy Cooper is such a good guy. I wish you guys covered a little bit about the Crossland SX team he managed. I was able to help with a few things and he always included me in the events. Always appreciated the things the Cooper family did for me. I was able to tag along for their parents tribute ride which was awesome. My first national experience just happened to be the legends race at Ironman and it was so awesome to see him line up. He was so excited at the rig and ready to get out there that you forget how much older he is than the racers that are usually out there. Then he goes and launches the uphill jump haha!

|

6/19/2020 4:12 PM

GautThis wrote:

Guy Cooper is such a good guy. I wish you guys covered a little bit about the Crossland SX team he managed. I was able to help with a few things and he always included me in the events. Always appreciated the things the Cooper family did for me. I was able to tag along for their parents tribute ride which was awesome. My first national experience just happened to be the legends race at Ironman and it was so awesome to see him line up. He was so excited at the rig and ready to get out there that you forget how much older he is than the racers that are usually out there. Then he goes and launches the uphill jump haha!

Guy is awesome. He was such a great part of motocross/supercross. Still is.

|

6/19/2020 7:56 PM

Love the show. . .

Wish there was less interrupting and over talking the guests though. .

And I like Langston, but that guy makes every show about him and his experiences. That's cool occasionally, but it's all the time. .

|

6/19/2020 8:23 PM

Great job Ping. Once again you and GL killing it. Keep up the great work.

|

6/20/2020 7:39 AM

I wish I could ask Guy Cooper so bad where Oklahoma 1990 SX ranks for him personally. It's my favorite race of all time. Favorite rider of my childhood.



|

6/20/2020 1:26 PM

olderandYZer wrote:

I really thought he was a wild man. Obviously not.

Loved his honesty about the hierarchy of factory racing on a team and the national race series and the Coombs.

Rode the 1997 Suzuki Cup at his track. Got hurt bad the last lap of +30. He came to the hospital and saw all the racers that got hurt and came like 3 times during the week to see all of us. Never forgot that. Never had a promoter come see me before or since.

Also raced Cooperland RM cup in 1997 80 12-13 class. That track and facility was top notch. To this day it was the coolest track ever raced at. The dirt amazing and the track super fun. Off camber turns, big inside rollers, wall berms, and a couple tabletops right out of the corner where you naturally just whipped your bike off of. Was really cool place. Real bummer it never got the chance at a National coulda been a fan and rider favorite. It had everything you would need. There was no shortages. Epic place and what a great interview Cooper was

P.S. I remember a big uphill triple step up on the far side of the track. All the top kids in my class were sending it in practice but I never did. It was a blind run up to it with a super steep face and it was big!! You couldn’t puss and still make it. First moto time I get a good start inside the top 10 knew I had too go for it if I wanted any chance at a decent finish. Came outta the back section and never let off. Everything my RM 80 had the whole run up to it. Lap after lap from there I launched that thing and it would scare me to death each time lol. Prolly the biggest jump I ever hit on a mini. Got 10th overall with 12-8 moto scores but I remember the jump more than anything else. And I believe it was Gene Stull and Shane Bess that year who kicked all our asses

|

6/20/2020 4:26 PM

olderandYZer wrote:

I really thought he was a wild man. Obviously not.

Loved his honesty about the hierarchy of factory racing on a team and the national race series and the Coombs.

Rode the 1997 Suzuki Cup at his track. Got hurt bad the last lap of +30. He came to the hospital and saw all the racers that got hurt and came like 3 times during the week to see all of us. Never forgot that. Never had a promoter come see me before or since.

MX114 wrote:

Also raced Cooperland RM cup in 1997 80 12-13 class. That track and facility was top notch. To this day it was the coolest track ever raced at. The dirt amazing and the track super fun. Off camber turns, big inside rollers, wall berms, and a couple tabletops right out of the corner where you naturally just whipped your bike off of. Was really cool place. Real bummer it never got the chance at a National coulda been a fan and rider favorite. It had everything you would need. There was no shortages. Epic place and what a great interview Cooper was

P.S. I remember a big uphill triple step up on the far side of the track. All the top kids in my class were sending it in practice but I never did. It was a blind run up to it with a super steep face and it was big!! You couldn’t puss and still make it. First moto time I get a good start inside the top 10 knew I had too go for it if I wanted any chance at a decent finish. Came outta the back section and never let off. Everything my RM 80 had the whole run up to it. Lap after lap from there I launched that thing and it would scare me to death each time lol. Prolly the biggest jump I ever hit on a mini. Got 10th overall with 12-8 moto scores but I remember the jump more than anything else. And I believe it was Gene Stull and Shane Bess that year who kicked all our asses

Yes it was a great track. I mean great. Yes some big gaps. I was trying to pass for 2nd on the front straight. Picking up my bike after a failed block pass and 4th hit my rids hard. Punctured lung and concussion but just one of those things. Just mention it because it really wasn't that dangerous of a track. A few of us just got hurt because its one of those more prestigious races at that time.

Dirt was amazing. Start was as fair as they get. Off cambrrs golore and that one right before the first turn was the biggest off camber I've ever rode. Just great. Thanks Guy Cooper for the memories. Hope you read this. Never forgot your gracious and caring attitude in the hospital.

Still out there racing bud!!

|

6/20/2020 7:46 PM

This is why whiskey throttle is so good. The 2-4 hour interviews on only one guest. The content really is that deep.

|

6/21/2020 5:00 AM

Good job boys!!

|

6/21/2020 5:08 AM

dpingree101 wrote:

This dude is one-of-a-kind. Super Coop!

https://m.

Excellent! I have grown to really really enjoy you guys, Grant is an absolute gemstone 😂😂😂😂

|

6/21/2020 9:22 AM

I love the interviews with the riders from the 80s and 90s. Thank you again for this great content.

|

6/21/2020 6:21 PM

Coop was my favorite rider of that era and I've been waiting for that interview for years, it delivered! When I was 15 in 1990 me and some buddies were hanging out late at night bs'ing dirt bikes and somehow got the dumb idea to try and call him. I 411'd Stillwater, OK and sure enough, he was listed. Called him at like midnight California time and he answered, woke the poor dude up in the middle of the night. Always felt bad about that. Sorry Coop!

Always glad to hear people bring up the Coombs mafia, though I do feel bad for his upcoming fall down the stairs which breaks both his kneecaps.

|

6/21/2020 6:23 PM

daemon616 wrote:

I wish I could ask Guy Cooper so bad where Oklahoma 1990 SX ranks for him personally. It's my favorite race of all time. Favorite rider of my childhood.



I was there for that race!! It was so hot that day the track crew was spraying water at all the fans on both sides of the track.

|

6/25/2020 10:45 PM

Another good show. I didn't care where he was on the track, I'd always keep an eye on him. Didn't matter if it was wreckers or checkers, he defined entertainment. Great rider and good to hear his stories of yesteryear and opinions on current too.

|

6/28/2020 4:37 PM

David, I've been catching up the past week, just got through Tallon Vohland, Larry Ward and Guy Cooper. Man, so much good stuff in there. Thanks for keeping things rolling during this crazy time!

|

Old MXer turned Superfan.

6/28/2020 5:07 PM
Edited Date/Time: 6/28/2020 5:12 PM



Photo


On the line for Day 1 1996 ISDE FINLAND. I'm on the left and coop in the middle.

That is one of the cool things about the ISDE.... A complete squid like me from Canada can get lucky enough to line up with some of the coolest guys involved with motorcycle racing. I was super nervous to talk it up with coop over the 6 days.
|

6/28/2020 6:13 PM

godog wrote:

Photo


On the line for Day 1 1996 ISDE FINLAND. I'm on the left and coop in the middle.

That is one of the cool things about the ISDE.... A complete squid like me from Canada can get lucky enough to line up with some of the coolest guys involved with motorcycle racing. I was super nervous to talk it up with coop over the 6 days.

If you rode 6-Day you have credibility and skills. Good on you.

I attach as much respect to Guy because he rode 6-Day as I do to his moto successes. That is a big deal.

|