Guy B's riding credentials?

GuyB
Fantasy
1215th
7/15/2017 10:14pm
gnarwhip wrote:
Aside from his multiple Hell Track wins, he was teammates with Cru Jones. He also spent a few seasons on the Mongoose team with Bart Taylor...
Aside from his multiple Hell Track wins, he was teammates with Cru Jones. He also spent a few seasons on the Mongoose team with Bart Taylor and the Reynolds twins.
Actually, back in the day I was the Redline team manager for a bit. I sent the team up to where they were filming Rad. At the time I don't think they were that pumped on going, but now they may consider it a highlight. Smile
dsmith
Fantasy
1470th
7/15/2017 10:39pm
i bet he's got lots of stories hangin around Stu Thomsen all the time....didn't you hang around with stu?
GuyB
Fantasy
1215th
7/15/2017 11:13pm
dsmith wrote:
i bet he's got lots of stories hangin around Stu Thomsen all the time....didn't you hang around with stu?
I joined up with SE Racing after Stu left for Redline. I knew him better after I was done racing, but I can't say we hung out tons.
Mr. G
7/16/2017 3:30am
It was so fun back then. I raced against Stu. Didn't go well for me . The top guys really are on a different level. I remember Pete Loncaravich (spelling) would just holeshot Every single moto. Every one. Was he stronger? Maybe. I never figured it out.

The Shop

GuyB
Fantasy
1215th
7/17/2017 9:45am
gsxr6 wrote:
Not a fan of the cr250 if I remember correctly. Got some hardware to prove it.....
Ha! I didn't have a problem with the bike. It was a self-inflicted deal. I screwed up.

Funnier was my first job interview with TWMX.

At that point I hadn't ridden for a few years. Swap invited me to come out riding with the crew at Elsinore as part of the interview process. I was handed some gear, boots, and a new YZ250F.

The first moto went fine. I was loving the bike, having fun, and really had no intention of trying to set the world on fire. I looked at it as a fun play day.

As for the second moto? I remember gearing up and kicking the bike over. After that? Nothing. I don't remember riding, the crash, ambulance ride, or X-rays. Apparently I was awake the whole time, but those memories are gone and never came back. I sort of came back online as they were wheeling me up to a room for the night. It took them a couple days to figure out that I had a fractured pelvis.

I didn't get the job that time around...though a few months later I heard from Swap again. They were looking to fill another spot, and wanted to talk to me again. But this time I didn't have to ride. Wink
Ozy
7/17/2017 10:06am
GuyB wrote:
Well, let's just say there's a reason it's good that ML does our bike and product testing. ;) I've ridden and raced a fair amount, and...
Well, let's just say there's a reason it's good that ML does our bike and product testing. Wink

I've ridden and raced a fair amount, and I'd say I qualify as terribly slow...on a good day. My earliest races were in the mid-70s, and most recent maybe six years ago.

I've owned everything from an XR80 (fun trail riding in the San Bernardino mountains) to a Hannah-era YZ250, and most recently an RM-Z250.

As others have mentioned, a lot of my background involved BMX, and after that, mountain biking. I was around for a lot of the formative days of both of those sports. The good news is, I get what it takes to go fast, but the bad news is that a lot of my technique is based there.
That's a whole lot of verbage to say he eat's shit and breaks bones like the rest of us . . . Didn't know you needed a pro resume to run a fan site? Guy Booberson
jeffro503
7/17/2017 10:17am
Steve , did you know Monte Hill pretty well back in the day? There was also a local racer from out in my neck of the woods named Bart Harrington that did quite a bit of traveling and racing. I believe Tim Judge ( from the Hutch " Judge series " frames ) was from Canby OR and was pretty well known out here too. Did you do any racing , or anything of that nature in the NW back in the day? On a side note : I think Bart is the one who started the bike gallery up here in Portland. I could be wrong on that , maybe he just raced for them. Been a long time.
dsmith
Fantasy
1470th
7/17/2017 10:43am
dsmith wrote:
GuyB wrote:
I joined up with SE Racing after Stu left for Redline. I knew him better after I was done racing, but I can't say we hung...
I joined up with SE Racing after Stu left for Redline. I knew him better after I was done racing, but I can't say we hung out tons.
I knew brent walk .. factory se from mich. ... ..
fastest dood on se that I can remember was bubba hayes ..
BS12
7/17/2017 11:49pm
With all of this BMX talk going on, do any of you follow the current scene?

World Champs are on at Rock Hill, SC next week/weekend. Supposedly going to be one of the biggest/the biggest World Champs ever.
downard254
7/18/2017 2:56am
GuyB wrote:
Ha! I didn't have a problem with the bike. It was a self-inflicted deal. I screwed up. Funnier was my first job interview with TWMX. At...
Ha! I didn't have a problem with the bike. It was a self-inflicted deal. I screwed up.

Funnier was my first job interview with TWMX.

At that point I hadn't ridden for a few years. Swap invited me to come out riding with the crew at Elsinore as part of the interview process. I was handed some gear, boots, and a new YZ250F.

The first moto went fine. I was loving the bike, having fun, and really had no intention of trying to set the world on fire. I looked at it as a fun play day.

As for the second moto? I remember gearing up and kicking the bike over. After that? Nothing. I don't remember riding, the crash, ambulance ride, or X-rays. Apparently I was awake the whole time, but those memories are gone and never came back. I sort of came back online as they were wheeling me up to a room for the night. It took them a couple days to figure out that I had a fractured pelvis.

I didn't get the job that time around...though a few months later I heard from Swap again. They were looking to fill another spot, and wanted to talk to me again. But this time I didn't have to ride. Wink
Ohhhh, the old "sympathy call". Yea, I've read about that tactic. Makes your potential employers feel so guilty they have to hire you. The things we'll do to get a job. Tongue
7/18/2017 9:03pm
" I sort of came back online as they were wheeling me up to a room for the night."

That is a great line. Came back online, funny
GuyB
Fantasy
1215th
7/18/2017 10:01pm
jeffro503 wrote:
Steve , did you know Monte Hill pretty well back in the day? There was also a local racer from out in my neck of the...
Steve , did you know Monte Hill pretty well back in the day? There was also a local racer from out in my neck of the woods named Bart Harrington that did quite a bit of traveling and racing. I believe Tim Judge ( from the Hutch " Judge series " frames ) was from Canby OR and was pretty well known out here too. Did you do any racing , or anything of that nature in the NW back in the day? On a side note : I think Bart is the one who started the bike gallery up here in Portland. I could be wrong on that , maybe he just raced for them. Been a long time.
From back at Josh's first pro race...I think Millville...

Josh Hill (right), and his dad Monte. Back in late 1987, GuyB shot the cover photo of Monty, who used to be a GT-sponsored freestyler. Obviously the two-wheeled skills run in the family.

I did win a 14 & Over Open and trophy dash at a muddy ABA National in Tacoma in the late 70s, when it was pretty unheard of for a privateer to do that.

Brent Walk was on SE at the same time I was. I saw him earlier this year at (I think) Detroit.

I don't follow BMX much these days. If I do it's the old school stuff. Today's action is more like Supercross than motocross, and the paved berms and clipless pedals are pretty foreign to me.
jeffro503
7/18/2017 10:19pm
jeffro503 wrote:
Steve , did you know Monte Hill pretty well back in the day? There was also a local racer from out in my neck of the...
GuyB wrote:
From back at Josh's first pro race...I think Millville... Josh Hill (right), and his dad Monte. Back in late 1987, GuyB shot the cover photo of...
From back at Josh's first pro race...I think Millville...

Josh Hill (right), and his dad Monte. Back in late 1987, GuyB shot the cover photo of Monty, who used to be a GT-sponsored freestyler. Obviously the two-wheeled skills run in the family.

I did win a 14 & Over Open and trophy dash at a muddy ABA National in Tacoma in the late 70s, when it was pretty unheard of for a privateer to do that.

Brent Walk was on SE at the same time I was. I saw him earlier this year at (I think) Detroit.

I don't follow BMX much these days. If I do it's the old school stuff. Today's action is more like Supercross than motocross, and the paved berms and clipless pedals are pretty foreign to me.
Ah right on man! Hear is something that goes way back. Up at Woodland MX in 1981 me and my dad took up our super8 camera and filmed one of my buddies Broc who raced the 125 Junior class. The dude he was always battling with was Monte! I then ran into Monte many times after in the 250 INT , +25 and +30 races for years. Hauling ass runs in that family , I can tell you that.

Side question....was Monte only into the freestyle stuff , or did he race as well competitively?

Post a reply to: Guy B's riding credentials?

The Latest