Greatest Performance @ MXdN By A USA Team Rider?

mxgeoff
9/17/2010 3:50am
Ok... besides Magoo winning all four moto's when it was still a two weekend event (Trophy & Motocross) what is the biggest clutch performance by one...
Ok... besides Magoo winning all four moto's when it was still a two weekend event (Trophy & Motocross) what is the biggest clutch performance by one of our Stars and Stripes flyin boys?
There is no doubt RC was better, but if you are battling with a guy and every time you come around to that whoops section and the guy makes two or three bikes lengths, then your motivation pretty quickly dies in the ass.

I also think Stefan would have been better to not get the start and follow him, as soon as RC tagged onto his back wheel and just stuck there for however many laps it was I knew it was over.

Agreed though RC smoked him.

Geoff
mxgeoff
9/17/2010 3:53am
robkinuk wrote:
To quote Stefan Everts in response to JS saying he backed off for the team. "It's a pity Ricky Carmichael wasn't riding as I'm sured he...
To quote Stefan Everts in response to JS saying he backed off for the team.

"It's a pity Ricky Carmichael wasn't riding as I'm sured he would have raced for the win!"

Zildjian wrote:
What was Stefan's excuse for getting beat by RC in front of his home crowd in 2003?
Stefan just said RC was better. Arguement can always be the same. Team Belgium won the day!!! How hard was Everts pushing knowing his country had an uppe-rhand over USA.
mxgeoff
9/17/2010 3:59am
ehr400 wrote:
What about Lamson in '96? He was jumping that huge quad thing on his 125 and doing heel clickers off of it while the Euros were...
What about Lamson in '96? He was jumping that huge quad thing on his 125 and doing heel clickers off of it while the Euros were crying to the officials the jump was too big and something about sand in their vaginas?Shocked
I still clearly remember Smets saying this isn't Supercross des Nations and the American's looking at him like get over it. That was a pretty cool day in 1996.
Huckster
9/17/2010 4:01am
robkinuk wrote:
To quote Stefan Everts in response to JS saying he backed off for the team. "It's a pity Ricky Carmichael wasn't riding as I'm sured he...

"It's a pity Ricky Carmichael wasn't riding as I'm sured he would have raced for the win!"

Zildjian wrote:
What was Stefan's excuse for getting beat by RC in front of his home crowd in 2003?
mxgeoff wrote:
Stefan just said RC was better. Arguement can always be the same. Team Belgium won the day!!! How hard was Everts pushing knowing his country had...
Stefan just said RC was better. Arguement can always be the same. Team Belgium won the day!!! How hard was Everts pushing knowing his country had an uppe-rhand over USA.
lol...so points like that only apply when they are used by the Euro's, but not by JS? You freakin GP guys kill me. "if they took the whoops out they would be equal..." "If AC didnt crash in the first turn, he would have won..."" "blah blah blah blah.....Seriously put down the coolaid....

The Shop

mxgeoff
9/17/2010 4:03am
Ok... besides Magoo winning all four moto's when it was still a two weekend event (Trophy & Motocross) what is the biggest clutch performance by one...
Ok... besides Magoo winning all four moto's when it was still a two weekend event (Trophy & Motocross) what is the biggest clutch performance by one of our Stars and Stripes flyin boys?
Did somebody mention Foxhills in 1998. Everts beat everyone by more than anyone has ever been beaten. As far as MXoN goes Mr Everts was one of the best.

mxgeoff
9/17/2010 4:20am
Zildjian wrote:
mxgeoff wrote:
Stefan just said RC was better. Arguement can always be the same. Team Belgium won the day!!! How hard was Everts pushing knowing his country had...
Huckster wrote:
lol...so points like that only apply when they are used by the Euro's, but not by JS? You freakin GP guys kill me. "if they took...
lol...so points like that only apply when they are used by the Euro's, but not by JS? You freakin GP guys kill me. "if they took the whoops out they would be equal..." "If AC didnt crash in the first turn, he would have won..."" "blah blah blah blah.....Seriously put down the coolaid....
Of course, we all do it, and I bet you do too. Sitting watching your NFL team or whatever and trying to get any inch of positive no matter the situation.

I might add I have always said it's great how the American team come through no matter what the conditions.

Just looking at the lap chart from 2007 and seeing Ferry come from 32 to 3 or something and RC going from 30 to 3 was pretty impressive.

That race should never have been won by Team USA, but they won anyway. Says a lot about the American fighting spirit.
Huckster
9/17/2010 4:27am
actually we all do not do it....but thats a whole other long topic on the sick obsession that people have with professional athletes, actors, actresses, poilitican etc.........
jamma10
9/17/2010 4:28am
Everts was quite honest in saying Carmichael was better than him that day in Zolder. I dont think he was making excuses. They at least had more respect for each other than their fans did.
FreshTopEnd
Fantasy
4133rd
9/17/2010 6:23am Edited Date/Time 9/17/2010 6:46am
robkinuk wrote:

It's good sport of Stefan to concede Stewart raced that day for the sake of team rather than individual glory. The fact of the matter is that it wasn't necessarily true, as RC letting Tortelli go in France in 2000 proves.
FreshTopEnd
Fantasy
4133rd
9/17/2010 6:45am Edited Date/Time 9/17/2010 6:49am
ehr400 wrote:
What about Lamson in '96? He was jumping that huge quad thing on his 125 and doing heel clickers off of it while the Euros were...
What about Lamson in '96? He was jumping that huge quad thing on his 125 and doing heel clickers off of it while the Euros were crying to the officials the jump was too big and something about sand in their vaginas?Shocked
mxgeoff wrote:
I still clearly remember Smets saying this isn't Supercross des Nations and the American's looking at him like get over it. That was a pretty cool...
I still clearly remember Smets saying this isn't Supercross des Nations and the American's looking at him like get over it. That was a pretty cool day in 1996.
Hah, the Belgians made up for it in 97 leaving the hose on. A good warm up for 98 I suppose.

My take on 06 is that it was a wonderful opportunity for Everts to close out his career and he performed magnificently making it one of the singularly memorable MXdN's.

Stewart could not have been under more pressure, from himself and from fans. It was his first time there too long after people had first expected him to go. And he went from being RC's wing man to being team leader. Add to that the reality that no one, including Stewart himself, could dispute that he had at that point thrown it away numerous times from impatience and from going faster than was necessary to accomplish what was needed for a particular event. It already had cost him at least one outdoor championship.

The 2006 AMA Season DVD has a terrific recap of the 06 MXdN, with more focus on the behind the scenes activities of the US team, and Stewart looks almost sick to his stomach with nerves a fair bit of the time.

And you know what, he needed every bit of his game to have a chance to beat Everts and he didn't and he got beaten. There isn't any doubt that Stewart is one of the greatest motocross racers of all time and he was beaten fairly by one of the greatest motocrossers of all time, a man who will remain a legend in the sport whichever series folks consider.

But Stewart also did not let himself or his team down, and he deserves the same measure of respect for that performance in 2006 that Everts does for his.

It would have been wonderful for all of us to see Everts and Stewart and RC race together more often. The races RC and Stewart put together is 06 were as good as any every seen.
FreshTopEnd
Fantasy
4133rd
9/17/2010 6:48am
mxgeoff wrote:
There is no doubt RC was better, but if you are battling with a guy and every time you come around to that whoops section and...
There is no doubt RC was better, but if you are battling with a guy and every time you come around to that whoops section and the guy makes two or three bikes lengths, then your motivation pretty quickly dies in the ass.

I also think Stefan would have been better to not get the start and follow him, as soon as RC tagged onto his back wheel and just stuck there for however many laps it was I knew it was over.

Agreed though RC smoked him.

Geoff
That was that crazy one-moto Dorna format that year, wasn't it?
G-man
9/17/2010 7:00am
ehr400 wrote:
Jeff Stanton 1989? I think. Didnt he punt Pit Bierier on the last lap to take the win and the overall for USA since Bradshaw crashed...
Jeff Stanton 1989? I think. Didnt he punt Pit Bierier on the last lap to take the win and the overall for USA since Bradshaw crashed out?
Dirk Guekins?
mxgeoff wrote:
That was 1990 in Vimmerby, Sweden when he punted Geukens and they won.
I thought it was 1991 Valkensward Holland? The team was Bradshaw, Kiedrowski and Stanton.

Stanton actually crashed to and charged through the pack like a bull in china shop and took out Geukens for the win with a lap or two to go.

I was there and it's something I will always cherish even though things got foggy after the Keg of Heinekin with my new USA military buddies who invited us over.

GOOD TIMES!

jamma10
9/19/2010 1:13pm
Thought some of you might like to see this.

I went to the Veterans MXdN here in England today - it's still only in it's infancy (only it's second year) but a whole heap of famous names from the 60's, 70's, 80's along with a few modern pro's turn up to bang bars on old twin shocks and evo's. Naturally most riders are from Europe, but I think Chuck Sunn made an appearance last year and I know they hope America can field a team sometime. video from saturday

Anyway, I stopped to check out the trophy as I was wandering past and noted the engraved tribute to the late great Danny Chandler.

I think the pictures explain how much admiration European fans of MX have, for not just Magoo, but all the great American riders.

TannerMxer
9/19/2010 3:54pm
Ryan Villopoto crushed everyone in 2007. I was there and my jaw was dragging in the Maryland dirt every time he came around. I was keeping his lead every lap. He'd come around... 7 seconds.... then 12 seconds.... then 15.... dude was insane.

Throughout history, people have come from behind victory's, awesome save's, or epic battles over 40 minutes, but seriously... RV crushed EVERYONE harder than anyone had ever been crushed.

I'm just happy to have seen it in person. It is something I will never forget.

it was LEGENDARY.
Cody24
Fantasy
2673rd
9/19/2010 4:22pm
TannerMxer wrote:
Ryan Villopoto crushed everyone in 2007. I was there and my jaw was dragging in the Maryland dirt every time he came around. I was keeping...
Ryan Villopoto crushed everyone in 2007. I was there and my jaw was dragging in the Maryland dirt every time he came around. I was keeping his lead every lap. He'd come around... 7 seconds.... then 12 seconds.... then 15.... dude was insane.

Throughout history, people have come from behind victory's, awesome save's, or epic battles over 40 minutes, but seriously... RV crushed EVERYONE harder than anyone had ever been crushed.

I'm just happy to have seen it in person. It is something I will never forget.

it was LEGENDARY.
Ryan was the man on the 250. Wish we could see that same dominance on the big bike...
the_wood109
9/19/2010 8:24pm
robkinuk wrote:

Zildjian wrote:
mxgeoff wrote:
Everts is a straight talker. If you just listen to they way he talked about winning, he sounds like a complete dick. However, he is always just as much of a straight shooter about getting beat, too. I do recall him saying that Ricky was better, and it was that honesty that earned respect (besides being one of the greatest.)
adamdf
9/19/2010 8:40pm
why hasn't someone posted the pic of Emig standing up and dragging the bars through a corner?

Its about time, come on...

Post a reply to: Greatest Performance @ MXdN By A USA Team Rider?

The Latest