Great interview with Mickael Pichon

themrtoad
Edited Date/Time 3/12/2019 11:14am
I always wanted to know more about Pichon. Great rider, but just like my other favourite rider Pourcel a little bit of a mystery. This interview actually sheds some light over him. Also strong and honest opinion about Everts in the clip. What’s your strongest memories from Pichon as a rider? I recall trying to talk to him in Sweden his last year on the twostroke, he was not happy or approachable then and there, but very nice and relaxed at other times.
Link: https://www.mxlarge.com/news/mickael-pichon-interview-legend

|
mx_563
3/11/2019 1:04pm
Much as it pained me to click on an mxlarge link....my respect and interest in Pichon won out.

Yes, it was nice to get some insight from Mickael. Thanks for posting.
themrtoad
3/11/2019 1:52pm
mx_563 wrote:
Much as it pained me to click on an mxlarge link....my respect and interest in Pichon won out. Yes, it was nice to get some insight...
Much as it pained me to click on an mxlarge link....my respect and interest in Pichon won out.

Yes, it was nice to get some insight from Mickael. Thanks for posting.
I know it’s hard for many here to be directed to mxlarge, but I felt it is worth reading so thanks for doing so. I didn’t post it to increase traffic for Geoff. I still feels he owes me for an interview I did with Ryan Hughes which was published on his site but I hardly got a ”thank you” and never saw any money.
mx_563
3/11/2019 2:01pm
I wish there was some youtube footage of the goggle-incident with Everts from South Africa (circa 2004). I was unable to find any.

The Shop

themrtoad
3/11/2019 2:15pm
Yeah that wasn’t one of Everts best days. I don’t think Stefans feels the same about the clip being hard to find...lol
Nuffsaid
3/11/2019 4:07pm
themrtoad wrote:
I always wanted to know more about Pichon. Great rider, but just like my other favourite rider Pourcel a little bit of a mystery. This interview...
I always wanted to know more about Pichon. Great rider, but just like my other favourite rider Pourcel a little bit of a mystery. This interview actually sheds some light over him. Also strong and honest opinion about Everts in the clip. What’s your strongest memories from Pichon as a rider? I recall trying to talk to him in Sweden his last year on the twostroke, he was not happy or approachable then and there, but very nice and relaxed at other times.
Link: https://www.mxlarge.com/news/mickael-pichon-interview-legend

He was always unapproachable at Uddevalla, total focus, but Frank was a great guy to offset that. He would always use strange lines in practice and only try them once but they were there when he needed them in the race and he would always come out and only ride a sighting lap and then lock down the pole position in a lap then go back to the depot and relax. Quite a smart talent on the Corona Suzuki
ATKpilot99
3/11/2019 4:09pm
mx_563 wrote:
I wish there was some youtube footage of the goggle-incident with Everts from South Africa (circa 2004). I was unable to find any.
What was the goggle incident?
Nuffsaid
3/11/2019 4:12pm
Pichon and Everts banging bars, really banging!! And Everts lost, waited next to the track and threw his googles at Pichon, nasty stuff
Nuffsaid
3/11/2019 4:14pm
Image the Mini Dad Syndrome in the team rig if Liam and Zachery eventually end up on the same team? Fireworks
Naoooch
3/11/2019 6:28pm
themrtoad wrote:
Yeah that wasn’t one of Everts best days. I don’t think Stefans feels the same about the clip being hard to find...lol
And do you remember the race, probably 2003 or 04, when everts celebrate the win two jump before the finish line, and crash ridiculously xD, handing the win to pichon. Ahah that was a fun moment of motocross
themrtoad
3/12/2019 1:06am
Naoooch wrote:
And do you remember the race, probably 2003 or 04, when everts celebrate the win two jump before the finish line, and crash ridiculously xD, handing...
And do you remember the race, probably 2003 or 04, when everts celebrate the win two jump before the finish line, and crash ridiculously xD, handing the win to pichon. Ahah that was a fun moment of motocross
I remember Everts crasch celebrating, but I can't remember who actually won in the end
DeStouwer
3/12/2019 1:15am
Naoooch wrote:
And do you remember the race, probably 2003 or 04, when everts celebrate the win two jump before the finish line, and crash ridiculously xD, handing...
themrtoad wrote:
I remember Everts crasch celebrating, but I can't remember who actually won in the end
Josh Coppins. GP of South Africa at Sun City, 2005.
WCRider
Fantasy
2301st
3/12/2019 7:21am
I met him a few times when he was at Honda Martin. I like the rider but humanly, he's a douchebag.
3/12/2019 8:17am Edited Date/Time 3/12/2019 8:18am
Naoooch wrote:
I think Coppins won that, and if memory serves me right it might have been for his 100th gp, not absolutely sure though
CoccoBill
3/12/2019 8:30am
He had problems with AMA, if I remember correctly, had some sort of a fight with other racers, his dad was involved...
He almost had to escape from the US and get back to Europe.
Don't remeber exactly, but something serious happened
Bearuno
3/12/2019 8:55am
Nuffsaid wrote:
Pichon and Everts banging bars, really banging!! And Everts lost, waited next to the track and threw his googles at Pichon, nasty stuff
Nasty stuff?

More like bloody Comical stuff!

If I recall correctly, Everts got into a fair bit of trouble from what was only a momentary 'hissy fit'. More embarrassing for Everts than being a terrible offense.

Everts and Pichon had some truly epic battles in the GPs with very hard, but ( mostly) fair racing. The line 'cross overs' between a 450F and 250 2T made for some breathtaking passes. Great racing!
rangot
3/12/2019 9:06am
WCRider wrote:
I met him a few times when he was at Honda Martin. I like the rider but humanly, he's a douchebag.
Nope, he's not. I know him for 35 + years, we started racing the same day on PW's 50 and kept racing together till GP's. He can bit a bit opiniated some times, like he says in the interview, but he and all his family are good people, always willing to help if you need something. And when away from the track, he's also a pretty funny guy.
3/12/2019 9:19am
WCRider wrote:
......and a bad loser too!
Nuffsaid
3/12/2019 10:11am
Nuffsaid wrote:
Bearuno wrote:
Nasty stuff? More like bloody Comical stuff! If I recall correctly, Everts got into a fair bit of trouble from what was only a momentary 'hissy...
Nasty stuff?

More like bloody Comical stuff!

If I recall correctly, Everts got into a fair bit of trouble from what was only a momentary 'hissy fit'. More embarrassing for Everts than being a terrible offense.

Everts and Pichon had some truly epic battles in the GPs with very hard, but ( mostly) fair racing. The line 'cross overs' between a 450F and 250 2T made for some breathtaking passes. Great racing!
Sarcasm,
Agree that the season Pichon was on the Corona Suzuki 250 2t vs the ultra trick Rinaldi 450 Yamaha of Everts was a very special once in a lifetime year.
Boomslang
Fantasy
725th
3/12/2019 10:22am
mx_563 wrote:
That was at Sun City here in SA. I have the recording of the event on a CD, ill dig it out and see if someone here can help me upload it.
themrtoad
3/12/2019 10:31am
When Pichon on the great RM250 did his knee and was defeated by Everts and the 450 was a black day for motocross. My best memories from mx besides riding is watching him ride a factory twostroke to it’s full potential. He was the last rider to win a title on a 250 twostroke. If not for the introduction of fourstrokes and without injuries he would have won a few titles more in my opinion. He looked very much in control on the RM, but still did genious and crazy things that kept your interest on top. On the fourstroke he was more like everybody else and couldn’t really make difference. Damn I miss the racing from those days.
Boomslang
Fantasy
725th
3/12/2019 10:34am
The second MX1 moto provided far better entertainment and some surprising scenes - which started when Pichon and Everts collided in the third corner of the opening lap as the former tried to move past the Yamaha man.

Everts lost control in the coming-together and hit the ground. Incensed, he then walked off the track to the adjacent turn to throw his goggles at Pichon as the pack filtered back around. The eight-times world number one then remounted and slowly cruised around the track until the leaders came to lap him, Pichon holding third at this stage.

Clearly still upset Everts blocked the line of the Honda rider and almost caused the chasing Coppins to crash. Everts retired for the first time in over a year and Pichon was sufficiently undeterred to sweep past special guest Greg Albertyn into the lead on lap three.

Four laps later however and the most successful Frenchman in GP history had a big crash in the sandy section and was relegated to sixth place by the time he returned to the track.

Coppins inherited the lead and held the advantage until the finish line. Pichon knew that he needed 2nd spot to secure overall success and sliced through four positions in six laps to mount the top step. Coppins was able to celebrate 2nd ahead of KTM's Steve Ramon.

Everts left the circuit early while Pichon later admitted that his move was aggressive but not unfair:

"The second moto did not really go as I would have expected!" began Mickael with more than a little understatement. "It started well except for that little incident I had with Stefan. He was aggressive in the first lap, like he has been many times this year, and I understand this because he wants to win, like I do.

"I came to the inside and he went far outside and to the middle, I had already jumped out in the middle also and we touched and I took his front wheel. I know it was perhaps not a nice move but he did the same to me last year in Austria and I was lucky to stay on the bike. I just wanted to make the move and there was nothing else involved.

"Afterwards his reaction was not so nice, he was probably very mad and again I can understand this because I would have been the same!" confessed the Frenchman. "He tried to push me on the corner by the finish line and when he was on the bike again the next lap he almost put me on the ground and I nearly crashed. This might not be a good end to the Championship but I just wanted to win really badly.

"My crash was not a result of all this. I was riding pretty good but I don't know what I did there in the sand. I was trying to avoid the big bumps and went too much to the left. The rear wheel locked because I went wide near the fence and I was thrown over the bars, it was a big crash and a stupid one because I had a big lead and felt great.

"From that I knew I had to restart as quick as possible and looking around I saw that Josh was in front and I needed second for the win so I pushed really hard to come back, which was not so easy. All the guys were riding about the same speed and it was hard to make up the difference on that track. When I got to second Josh was too far away but I knew the GP was mine," Pichon concluded.

Everts may now face disciplinary action from the FIM, the sports governing body, for his behaviour.
Boomslang
Fantasy
725th
3/12/2019 10:51am
Boomslang wrote:
The second MX1 moto provided far better entertainment and some surprising scenes - which started when Pichon and Everts collided in the third corner of the...
The second MX1 moto provided far better entertainment and some surprising scenes - which started when Pichon and Everts collided in the third corner of the opening lap as the former tried to move past the Yamaha man.

Everts lost control in the coming-together and hit the ground. Incensed, he then walked off the track to the adjacent turn to throw his goggles at Pichon as the pack filtered back around. The eight-times world number one then remounted and slowly cruised around the track until the leaders came to lap him, Pichon holding third at this stage.

Clearly still upset Everts blocked the line of the Honda rider and almost caused the chasing Coppins to crash. Everts retired for the first time in over a year and Pichon was sufficiently undeterred to sweep past special guest Greg Albertyn into the lead on lap three.

Four laps later however and the most successful Frenchman in GP history had a big crash in the sandy section and was relegated to sixth place by the time he returned to the track.

Coppins inherited the lead and held the advantage until the finish line. Pichon knew that he needed 2nd spot to secure overall success and sliced through four positions in six laps to mount the top step. Coppins was able to celebrate 2nd ahead of KTM's Steve Ramon.

Everts left the circuit early while Pichon later admitted that his move was aggressive but not unfair:

"The second moto did not really go as I would have expected!" began Mickael with more than a little understatement. "It started well except for that little incident I had with Stefan. He was aggressive in the first lap, like he has been many times this year, and I understand this because he wants to win, like I do.

"I came to the inside and he went far outside and to the middle, I had already jumped out in the middle also and we touched and I took his front wheel. I know it was perhaps not a nice move but he did the same to me last year in Austria and I was lucky to stay on the bike. I just wanted to make the move and there was nothing else involved.

"Afterwards his reaction was not so nice, he was probably very mad and again I can understand this because I would have been the same!" confessed the Frenchman. "He tried to push me on the corner by the finish line and when he was on the bike again the next lap he almost put me on the ground and I nearly crashed. This might not be a good end to the Championship but I just wanted to win really badly.

"My crash was not a result of all this. I was riding pretty good but I don't know what I did there in the sand. I was trying to avoid the big bumps and went too much to the left. The rear wheel locked because I went wide near the fence and I was thrown over the bars, it was a big crash and a stupid one because I had a big lead and felt great.

"From that I knew I had to restart as quick as possible and looking around I saw that Josh was in front and I needed second for the win so I pushed really hard to come back, which was not so easy. All the guys were riding about the same speed and it was hard to make up the difference on that track. When I got to second Josh was too far away but I knew the GP was mine," Pichon concluded.

Everts may now face disciplinary action from the FIM, the sports governing body, for his behaviour.

The International Disciplinary Court (CDI) convened today (Friday) at the FIM headquarters in Switzerland to judge the request lodged by the International Jury of the South African Motocross Grand Prix, to impose sanctions against Stefan Everts and Mickael Pichon.

The International Disciplinary Court (CDI) convened today (Friday) at the FIM headquarters in Switzerland to judge the request lodged by the International Jury of the South African Motocross Grand Prix, to impose sanctions against Stefan Everts and Mickael Pichon.

The pair faced punishment for having delayed the start of the first MX1 race, due to a riders' protest, while Everts faced an additional penalty for his behaviour during the second MX1 race - when he physically confronted Pichon after the Frenchman caused the Belgian to crash.

The CDI took the following decisions:

"In the first case, Everts and Mickael Pichon are sanctioned with a fine of CHF 10.000 each.

"In the second case, the sanctions against Stefan Everts are a suspension of one year, conditionally deferred for a period of 2 years, and a fine of CHF 15.000.

mx_563
3/12/2019 11:14am
themrtoad wrote:
When Pichon on the great RM250 did his knee and was defeated by Everts and the 450 was a black day for motocross. My best memories...
When Pichon on the great RM250 did his knee and was defeated by Everts and the 450 was a black day for motocross. My best memories from mx besides riding is watching him ride a factory twostroke to it’s full potential. He was the last rider to win a title on a 250 twostroke. If not for the introduction of fourstrokes and without injuries he would have won a few titles more in my opinion. He looked very much in control on the RM, but still did genious and crazy things that kept your interest on top. On the fourstroke he was more like everybody else and couldn’t really make difference. Damn I miss the racing from those days.
I agree. I was fortunate enough to attend several GPs in 2001 and 2002 and really enjoyed watching Mickael.

Some great pics here: https://www.facebook.com/pg/pichonimage/photos/?ref=page_internal

Post a reply to: Great interview with Mickael Pichon

The Latest