Great Continental Divide Adventure Ride

Roostermx58
Edited Date/Time 7/9/2020 5:04am
Is anyone looking to go on an adventure ride next month? The Continental Divide Ride was scheduled however many have backed out due to COVID. This scenic trail runs from the USA/Mexico border into Canada and covers 2,767 miles of spectacular remote wilderness. The Route covers 5 states: New Mexico, Colorado, Wyoming, Idaho, and Montana and is mostly a mix of smaller dirt roads and back county roads. This is considered a scenic adventure route and most riders take two weeks to travel the length.

Looking for 1 or 2 more that are intermediate level riders that are ok riding the blue trails and staying off the road. There is a link to the planned trip below.

https://sites.google.com/site/gpskevin/adventurerides/great-continental…

Contact me if you are interested.
|
Dimblewambie
7/8/2020 6:49am
Wish I had the time to join you on this awesome trip! Keep us updated along the ride.
BIGRIGGIN
7/8/2020 8:19am
What an adventure ride this would be ... bucket list stuff for sure.
Renner153
Fantasy
3583rd
7/8/2020 8:56am
If it were onlya week long trip I would be in for sure
ti473
7/8/2020 9:00am
Renner153 wrote:
If it were onlya week long trip I would be in for sure
people do it in a couple of weeks... on bicycles... just saying!

The Shop

Bultaco
7/8/2020 9:18am
I'm planning a self supported bicycle ride on mostly this route for next year. Using the Great Divide Mountain Bike route from Adventure Cycling. 3083 miles. Hopefully the Canadians will start letting US people across the border by then. Figured it would be a good challenge and fun ride at my age. (66) It did not occur to me to ride a dirt scooter on it. May have to make two trips now. 8-)

Have fun. I hope you find the extra riders you need. Let us know how the trip goes.
Falcon
Fantasy
856th
7/8/2020 4:51pm
Bultaco wrote:
I'm planning a self supported bicycle ride on mostly this route for next year. Using the Great Divide Mountain Bike route from Adventure Cycling. 3083 miles...
I'm planning a self supported bicycle ride on mostly this route for next year. Using the Great Divide Mountain Bike route from Adventure Cycling. 3083 miles. Hopefully the Canadians will start letting US people across the border by then. Figured it would be a good challenge and fun ride at my age. (66) It did not occur to me to ride a dirt scooter on it. May have to make two trips now. 8-)

Have fun. I hope you find the extra riders you need. Let us know how the trip goes.
Daaaaang. That distance would take me 6 months on an MTB at MY age (49).
TooOld4WFO
Fantasy
1450th
7/8/2020 4:55pm
It might be helpful to add what bikes are best suited for this.
I imagine it’s all camping off the bike?
When you say intermediate level ability is this due to the particular route you want to take? Or just a general preference to insure you babysit as little as possible.

Most riders in my humble opinion tend to overstate their level of actual ability.

Maybe add what is a common set up for a rider. Has anyone ever done this 2 up?

Lastly I applaud you for making the effort. All it takes is a guy like you putting the word out and offering incredible memories. I should do it on my 790 but the GF wouldn’t be too excited over me going without her.

Have you posted this in the Adventure Rider forum?
731chopper
Fantasy
355th
7/8/2020 7:40pm
That looks like an incredible time. I’m putting this on my bucket list!
Bultaco
7/8/2020 8:01pm
Falcon wrote:
Daaaaang. That distance would take me 6 months on an MTB at MY age (49).
Not to derail the thread, it will also take me a long time. 3100 miles / 50 miles a day = 62 days on the bike. Plus days off. It won’t be so bad. Spectacular country along the way.
Johnny Depp
7/8/2020 9:56pm
Hmmm 🤔
Just rode Wyoming for the 1st time this week 😃
Awesome.

Roostermx58
7/9/2020 5:04am
TooOld4WFO wrote:
It might be helpful to add what bikes are best suited for this. I imagine it’s all camping off the bike? When you say intermediate level...
It might be helpful to add what bikes are best suited for this.
I imagine it’s all camping off the bike?
When you say intermediate level ability is this due to the particular route you want to take? Or just a general preference to insure you babysit as little as possible.

Most riders in my humble opinion tend to overstate their level of actual ability.

Maybe add what is a common set up for a rider. Has anyone ever done this 2 up?

Lastly I applaud you for making the effort. All it takes is a guy like you putting the word out and offering incredible memories. I should do it on my 790 but the GF wouldn’t be too excited over me going without her.

Have you posted this in the Adventure Rider forum?
Thanks for the response.

Any adventure bike would do. KTM 790, 1190, BMW GS, Vstrom, etc.

Instead of carrying the extra weight, hotels will be used instead of camping.

Yes, the level of the intermediate is due to the route. Wanting to stay off the main roads, but no on extreme single track trails. looking for more of the jeep trails with some hard and easy spots. Also so everyone can tackle the terrain with ease. hard to cover this many miles if we keep stopping and turning around when a rider doesn't show.

Here are some pictures from last year when the Trans America Trail (TAT) was tackled on a KTM 1190. A KTM 790 however will be used for this trip as the 1190 was heavier than was wanted in some places on the TAT.

Post a reply to: Great Continental Divide Adventure Ride

The Latest