Great Article on Nascar's Problems and why SX should stay away from the Chase

DonM
3/18/2018 7:17pm Edited Date/Time 3/20/2018 9:31pm
|
TeamGreen
3/18/2018 7:22pm
They shit all over their own legacy, left their original fans behind, over-reached with the rule book and made it bland. They did this.
DonM
3/18/2018 7:24pm
TeamGreen wrote:
They shit all over their own legacy, left their original fans behind, over-reached with the rule book and made it bland. They did this.
Yep...they tried to fix what wasn't broken...A cautionary tale....
Bry145
3/18/2018 7:54pm
Here are two scary quotes that draw some comparisons to current amateur motocross:

"The sport alienated and priced its hardcore fans out of attendance."

*Moto Comparison: Four-strokes, four-stroke hop-ups & maintenance, entry-fees several times higher than in the 1990s, ect.

"The drivers are all cookie-cutter just like the tracks. Either rich kids whose dads bought their ride or the sons of former drivers who look and sound more like boy-band pitchmen than race car drivers."

*Moto Comparison: Amateur racers who are well-financed via parents and/or sponsorship have a huge advantage, greater than in the two-stroke/no training camp era. The tracks that are ripped, watered, and full of supercross-style jumps are cookie-cutter in a sense. It seems the powers in play want to standardize the tracks and get away from natural dirt and natural terrain. This in theory would give well-financed riders at training facilities an advantage.

This is just an observation and my opinion. But there may be some truth to this, and maybe we can learn from a sport that is losing popularity. Going back to two-strokes and true amateur racing (no financial compensation aside from bikes/parts/lubes/gear, just doing Loretta's in the summer, kids in school being kids and not at training camps) would be nice, but it's not going to happen. That is unless in time there aren't enough paying participants to support the industry, leading to collapse and no resources left for elite amateur racers.

KennyT
Fantasy
479th
3/18/2018 8:20pm
I don’t think it’s the Chase that is hurting NASCAR. People change and the diehard racing fans from the 60’s & 70’s are gone or in retirement homes. Not all sports move successfully from one generation to the other. I am thinking baseball is the one that has lasted the longest

NASCAR does need some new blood with personality. Danica’s departure is going to hurt their ratings even further. I would tune in each week to see how she did, even though she was pitiful to watch at times. Now I tune in to see how Wallace will do but like the writer said on the Petty team he doesn’t stand much of a chance.

I grew up in autoracing and saw drivers like Donahue, Andretti, Gurney, Foyt etc racing at Riverside and Ontario. I know it is morbid but there was a risk back then that doesn’t take place nowadays. Nascar developed safety measures so the cars do not get airborne and when they have incredible hard hits the drivers walk away like nothing happened. This is great! But it is also taking the risk out of a sport that once had tremendous risk involved.

Back when it was at its heyday NASCAR produced some incredibly boring races. 1 driver winning by a lap, 2nd place a lap down, 3rd 4 Laos down etc.
they did manage to tighten up the field which was much needed. If you ask me it has run it’s course and it has nothing to do with the Chase

The Shop

Asimo
3/18/2018 8:21pm Edited Date/Time 3/18/2018 8:35pm
Takes a lot of drugs to be able to watch a parade of sponsors go around in a circle for 4 hours.
Does anyone actually watch it for the races? Or just the crashes and fights in the stands?
Maybe it being a reason to drink a lot of beer got tired?
Younger people today don't have the attention span to watch nascar.
DonM
3/18/2018 8:24pm
Asimo wrote:
Takes a lot of drugs to be able to watch a parade of sponsors go around in a circle for 4 hours. Does anyone actually watch...
Takes a lot of drugs to be able to watch a parade of sponsors go around in a circle for 4 hours.
Does anyone actually watch it for the races? Or just the crashes and fights in the stands?
Thanks for your intelligent input....
DonM
3/18/2018 8:30pm
KennyT wrote:
I don’t think it’s the Chase that is hurting NASCAR. People change and the diehard racing fans from the 60’s & 70’s are gone or in...
I don’t think it’s the Chase that is hurting NASCAR. People change and the diehard racing fans from the 60’s & 70’s are gone or in retirement homes. Not all sports move successfully from one generation to the other. I am thinking baseball is the one that has lasted the longest

NASCAR does need some new blood with personality. Danica’s departure is going to hurt their ratings even further. I would tune in each week to see how she did, even though she was pitiful to watch at times. Now I tune in to see how Wallace will do but like the writer said on the Petty team he doesn’t stand much of a chance.

I grew up in autoracing and saw drivers like Donahue, Andretti, Gurney, Foyt etc racing at Riverside and Ontario. I know it is morbid but there was a risk back then that doesn’t take place nowadays. Nascar developed safety measures so the cars do not get airborne and when they have incredible hard hits the drivers walk away like nothing happened. This is great! But it is also taking the risk out of a sport that once had tremendous risk involved.

Back when it was at its heyday NASCAR produced some incredibly boring races. 1 driver winning by a lap, 2nd place a lap down, 3rd 4 Laos down etc.
they did manage to tighten up the field which was much needed. If you ask me it has run it’s course and it has nothing to do with the Chase
They've made so many changes in a relatively short period of time (which I believe is the issue) that they have no idea what is causing the problem....it's actually very sad...hasn't been the same since Bill Jr died...the fact that the chase has had more changes every year is why I quit watching...they lost me...I watched the Daytona 500 this year after a few year hiatus and was like WTF had they done!
mb
3/18/2018 8:31pm
KennyT wrote:
I don’t think it’s the Chase that is hurting NASCAR. People change and the diehard racing fans from the 60’s & 70’s are gone or in...

You only tune in to see how Danica or Wallace is doing?
BobPA
3/18/2018 8:38pm
Asimo wrote:
Takes a lot of drugs to be able to watch a parade of sponsors go around in a circle for 4 hours. Does anyone actually watch...
LaughingLaughing So true. I am as big of a gearhead as anyone. But, watching clone cars go in a circle has lost its luster to me.
KennyT
Fantasy
479th
3/18/2018 8:48pm
KennyT wrote:

mb wrote:
You only tune in to see how Danica or Wallace is doing?
I tune in every week because I’m a fan of NASCAR and have been since the mid 60’s. The sport is lacking interesting characters, like a woman or a minority. I guarantee Danica brought more fans to the sport than 10 of the current top drivers combined. Behind Dale Jr she was the most popular driver even though she could not make the top ten. I drove 2,000 miles to Watch Talledaga in person a couple years ago and although she was 26th in points and basically the worst driver on a top team the attention she was gathering was amazing.

ARCA has a great kid named Natalie Decker who won the pole at Daytona this year. If it can survive a few more years until she makes the Cup series she will revive the sport.

Ando someone mentioned the fights in the stands? What a joke. The Nascsr crowd and the SX crowd is one in the same. Hate to break it to you but you are on a forum of a hillbilly sport much the same as the one you badmouth
KennyT
Fantasy
479th
3/18/2018 8:52pm Edited Date/Time 3/18/2018 8:53pm
Asimo wrote:
BobPA wrote:
:laugh: :laugh: So true. I am as big of a gearhead as anyone. But, watching clone cars go in a circle has lost its luster to...
LaughingLaughing So true. I am as big of a gearhead as anyone. But, watching clone cars go in a circle has lost its luster to me.
It is boring as hell to watch, I agree with that. Kinda like the St Louis race that was on last night.

One thing that may change your mind is trying someday to drive one of those cars in a circle. It’s not that easy....ask Juan Pablo Montoya or Dario Franchitti.

I had a buddy who raced locally at Irwindale in the Sportsman series. It may look easy but believe me when I tell you there is a lot more to it than turning left. It’s kinda like SX....sure looks easy on TV. I have newbies watch SX with me and they are like “oh so this is what u did when u were younger”
I’m like oh yeah...that’s just like what I did Smile
BobPA
3/18/2018 8:55pm
KennyT wrote:
It is boring as hell to watch, I agree with that. Kinda like the St Louis race that was on last night. One thing that may...
It is boring as hell to watch, I agree with that. Kinda like the St Louis race that was on last night.

One thing that may change your mind is trying someday to drive one of those cars in a circle. It’s not that easy....ask Juan Pablo Montoya or Dario Franchitti.

I had a buddy who raced locally at Irwindale in the Sportsman series. It may look easy but believe me when I tell you there is a lot more to it than turning left. It’s kinda like SX....sure looks easy on TV. I have newbies watch SX with me and they are like “oh so this is what u did when u were younger”
Do not get me wrong, I go to Pocono every year and have a blast. I just liked it better when there was some separation between the car manufactures. It just feels like a spec series now. I have driven all kinds of dirt oval cars, some of the most fun I have ever had behind the wheel. The 600 sprints are an absolute blast to drive. I really want to drive a 410 powered car someday...
KennyT
Fantasy
479th
3/18/2018 8:58pm
KennyT wrote:
It is boring as hell to watch, I agree with that. Kinda like the St Louis race that was on last night. One thing that may...

BobPA wrote:
Do not get me wrong, I go to Pocono every year and have a blast. I just liked it better when there was some separation between...
Do not get me wrong, I go to Pocono every year and have a blast. I just liked it better when there was some separation between the car manufactures. It just feels like a spec series now. I have driven all kinds of dirt oval cars, some of the most fun I have ever had behind the wheel. The 600 sprints are an absolute blast to drive. I really want to drive a 410 powered car someday...
I think the car of tomorrow hurt it bad.
BobbyM
3/18/2018 8:59pm
Today there are more sports to thin the publc herd. Used to be only 3... Then 4 or 5. Now there's at least 10 or 12. Count em up. Growing up today compared to yesteryear, young people encounter many more forks in the road.
3/18/2018 9:07pm
I was at Auto Club today. It was packed. Everyone had merchandise or rented headsets to listen to team radios. Everything 3 times the cost of sx and stadium was full. If that’s a downturn then sx has no chance.
KennyT
Fantasy
479th
3/18/2018 9:13pm
109 wrote:
I was at Auto Club today. It was packed. Everyone had merchandise or rented headsets to listen to team radios. Everything 3 times the cost of...
I was at Auto Club today. It was packed. Everyone had merchandise or rented headsets to listen to team radios. Everything 3 times the cost of sx and stadium was full. If that’s a downturn then sx has no chance.
That’s good to hear. It looked packed on TV but it’s hard to tell if your not there n person
scott_nz
Fantasy
597th
3/18/2018 9:53pm
109 wrote:
I was at Auto Club today. It was packed. Everyone had merchandise or rented headsets to listen to team radios. Everything 3 times the cost of...
i went to Bristol and RIchmond a few years back and loved it, I think the Southern 500 or one of the other restrictor plate tracks will be next,
mx617
3/18/2018 10:19pm
KennyT wrote:
I tune in every week because I’m a fan of NASCAR and have been since the mid 60’s. The sport is lacking interesting characters, like a...
I tune in every week because I’m a fan of NASCAR and have been since the mid 60’s. The sport is lacking interesting characters, like a woman or a minority. I guarantee Danica brought more fans to the sport than 10 of the current top drivers combined. Behind Dale Jr she was the most popular driver even though she could not make the top ten. I drove 2,000 miles to Watch Talledaga in person a couple years ago and although she was 26th in points and basically the worst driver on a top team the attention she was gathering was amazing.

ARCA has a great kid named Natalie Decker who won the pole at Daytona this year. If it can survive a few more years until she makes the Cup series she will revive the sport.

Ando someone mentioned the fights in the stands? What a joke. The Nascsr crowd and the SX crowd is one in the same. Hate to break it to you but you are on a forum of a hillbilly sport much the same as the one you badmouth
I came across Natalie on Twitter a while ago, seems she is sponsored by a hedge fund of some sort. Just curious if that's a family connection? Looking at her results she can definitely perform, it seems like a different sort of sponsor though.
Ted722
3/18/2018 10:20pm Edited Date/Time 3/19/2018 6:51am
109 wrote:
Maybe packed in your section? Or are people in the below photo still getting back to their seats after halftime? Or whatever that void's called between Stage 1 and Stage 2.

https://sports.yahoo.com/quick-takeaways-auto-club-lets-start-midweek-r…
KennyT
Fantasy
479th
3/18/2018 10:50pm
KennyT wrote:
I tune in every week because I’m a fan of NASCAR and have been since the mid 60’s. The sport is lacking interesting characters, like a...

mx617 wrote:
I came across Natalie on Twitter a while ago, seems she is sponsored by a hedge fund of some sort. Just curious if that's a family...
I came across Natalie on Twitter a while ago, seems she is sponsored by a hedge fund of some sort. Just curious if that's a family connection? Looking at her results she can definitely perform, it seems like a different sort of sponsor though.

NASCAR can use this. She drove real well at Daytona
mx617
3/18/2018 11:41pm
I think we could all use a little of thatWoohoo
tobz
3/19/2018 2:42am
The sport needs to model itself on a sport that's similar but more successful on a world scale, like MotoGP.

On a side note I'm really concerned they'll allow electric bikes compete again ICE bikes and ruin it further. Make a separate class by all means but do whatever you can to keep the ICE the pinnacle.
Indy mxer
3/19/2018 4:39am
We watch NASCAR every week (DVR) and have for years. I like the chase and the stage racing.
Imo, the racing has never been more intense and fun to watch. I used to nod off during the 500 milers, but now with stage racing it's more exciting.

But he's right about pricing the fans out. We used to go to 3 to 4 races a year but not now.
NASCAR got greedy when it was very popular. They'd cram you together in the stands and charge you out the ass for tickets. Plus with HDTV it's great to watch at home.

Are you paying attention NFL?

It's starting to happen there as well. Colts tickets are easy to get now. Part of it is because they're not very good right now, but some of it is the owners pricing people out of the games.

hillbilly
3/19/2018 5:16am
I had tickets at bristol ,wilkesboro,Atlanta,Charlotte.

The price more than doubled but ?oval hotels tripled and had 3 nice minimum.

Then they moved races from historic tracks .

The sport went bad before the chase.

And,you'd think NASCAR would not look for more things to do to make fans hate them. Then they mandate impact guns.

Sure,teams budgeted a million for them,made them on CNC and had them trick as trick gets.

Now they are junk. Run on air instead of nitrogen and have a shitty hose and regulator.

Teams with money are gonna win no matter what.
ehr400
3/19/2018 5:25am
Its a spec racing series now, gone are the days when innovation and outside the box thinking gave you a fast car. I have a hard time wrapping my mind around racing when you are working with other teams to advance Via drafting. Just dumb. Cars are cookie cutter, racing is BORING, Nascar penalizes you for trying to innovate.

I live near MIS, place would be crazy traffic all weekend for the 2 nascar events and Indy car races, didnt dare drive on US12, 223, M52 during race weekends. The traffic seems about half as much as it was in the 90's and 80's/
Indy mxer
3/19/2018 6:03am
hillbilly wrote:
I had tickets at bristol ,wilkesboro,Atlanta,Charlotte. The price more than doubled but ?oval hotels tripled and had 3 nice minimum. Then they moved races from historic...
I had tickets at bristol ,wilkesboro,Atlanta,Charlotte.

The price more than doubled but ?oval hotels tripled and had 3 nice minimum.

Then they moved races from historic tracks .

The sport went bad before the chase.

And,you'd think NASCAR would not look for more things to do to make fans hate them. Then they mandate impact guns.

Sure,teams budgeted a million for them,made them on CNC and had them trick as trick gets.

Now they are junk. Run on air instead of nitrogen and have a shitty hose and regulator.

Teams with money are gonna win no matter what.
Yeah the impact gun thing is not good. Seems like they have trouble with them every week.
pbody
Fantasy
518th
3/19/2018 6:53am
I used to tune into almost every race. But over the years I've lost interest....constant car and rule changes; and with the Chase, teams have different agendas on race day depending on their Chase status. Teams are no longer racing for every point. Then KB18 won the championship while missing part of the series. It's like most stick and ball sports for me now....just wait for the playoffs.
kkawboy14
3/19/2018 7:18am
Curling held my attention longer, and I’m a nascar fan
Ted722
3/19/2018 7:37am
Not a Chase fan either, but for some reason NHRA series seems to have not been sidetracked. When they first announced their Chase, I was not looking forward to it. But, as the years have gone by, it really hasn't been too much of the story. You still get mano a mano matchups or very often la mano a la mano matchups. There are a lot of story lines and "characters" that you learn more about throughout the season. Keeps you tuned in, but also still has a lot of gearhead stuff too. A lot of interviews with Crew Chiefs, past champions, stuff going on in the pits etc. etc. A motor blowing up or 3 (John Force this season) doesn't hurt either.
KennyT
Fantasy
479th
3/19/2018 7:43am
Ted722 wrote:
Not a Chase fan either, but for some reason NHRA series seems to have not been sidetracked. When they first announced their Chase, I was not...
Not a Chase fan either, but for some reason NHRA series seems to have not been sidetracked. When they first announced their Chase, I was not looking forward to it. But, as the years have gone by, it really hasn't been too much of the story. You still get mano a mano matchups or very often la mano a la mano matchups. There are a lot of story lines and "characters" that you learn more about throughout the season. Keeps you tuned in, but also still has a lot of gearhead stuff too. A lot of interviews with Crew Chiefs, past champions, stuff going on in the pits etc. etc. A motor blowing up or 3 (John Force this season) doesn't hurt either.
Speaking of NHRA. How does a sport with million dollar machines allow full pit access with the price of admission and not have problems and yet SX treats its fans like we are sub human when it comes to pit access?

And for anyone that has not attended a NHRA event I would highly suggest trying it just once, and take anyone you know as I’m sure they will all be impressed. Watching a car go from 0-330 MPH in 4 seconds is something that will amaze you. If you are anywhere near them when they take off they make every organ in your body shake

Post a reply to: Great Article on Nascar's Problems and why SX should stay away from the Chase

The Latest