Gratitude

tcallahan707
9/6/2018 9:46pm Edited Date/Time 9/9/2018 9:42am
The only thing constant is change.

I just finished up watching a YouTube series about Dale Earnhardt called "The Day". It was a powerful reminder of how fleeting this life, and moments in it, is. That applies even more so to the racing community, especially moto. I think many of you would enjoy the documentary so I'll include the link below.

One of the things I have personally been working on is cultivating gratitude. We all know that we have a finite time here, yet we have a difficult time living that way. We as humans routinely take much for granted. While watching the documentary, I really tried to put myself in each person's shoes, which wasn't hard, because I found it easy to relate to fellow racers.

I was fortunate enough to grow up racing with my dad and spending weekends at the track with my family. That fizzled out as we both got older. But like most motocross racers, it's hard to stay away for long. I got back into racing, and then got my dad back into it. We actually raced a regional last year together, which is something I'll never forget (except I got knocked out and actually don't remember some of it LaughingPinch ). It was so cool to relive a moto road trip of yesteryear. We threw the bikes in the truck, stopped by the local shop (Sun Enterprises) for some final race treats, and pinned it from Colorado to Washougal. Watching the show helped me realize that the opportunity to race with my dad is nearing it's end. That's a heavy feeling to be honest but I am choosing to use it as a reminder to be grateful.

I wanted to post something on here as a reminder that we as people, and especially racers, have so much to be grateful for. We all get caught up in the BS here on Vital, or FB, or the news so it's easy to forget that. It's ok. It's human nature. All we can do is keep trying to remind ourselves about what's real.

Let's not forget why we are all on this site in the first place. Motocross is fucking amazing. I feel so much love towards this sport and the people in it. We are family. We all know what it feels like to twist that throttle. Not everyone gets that chance, and no one gets to feel that forever. I am so grateful for Dale reminding me of that.

The only thing constant is change.

I hope you enjoy it..
The Day
|
JustMX
9/7/2018 5:58am
Nice.

Thanks for posting this
Springcreek
9/7/2018 6:14am
Very nice, the best thing about riding is that it makes you live in the moment.
olds cool
9/7/2018 6:38am
Well said. We all need a kick in the butt like this from time to time to keep everything in perspective. ??
Magic Man
9/7/2018 8:10am Edited Date/Time 9/7/2018 8:59am
Good words buddy, one of many things to work on myself. As I sit here in a neck brace for 3 months because I fractured C2, I have so much to be grateful for.

The Shop

Stuntman949
9/7/2018 8:16am Edited Date/Time 9/7/2018 8:16am
Just in terms of riding and racing alone- someday it will all go away for each of us no matter the reason. Love each gate drop, lap and mile.
jeffro503
9/7/2018 8:24am
Great post Tcallahan. I agree with all of it. And riding with my dad when I was young , are some of the best memories I have too.
fatcat
9/7/2018 8:45am
Just in terms of riding and racing alone- someday it will all go away for each of us no matter the reason. Love each gate drop...
Just in terms of riding and racing alone- someday it will all go away for each of us no matter the reason. Love each gate drop, lap and mile.
Yes sir, ain't that the truth. Now that I'm getting close to the 60+ class, my biggest fear is that one day I won't be physically able to race anymore. I am grateful for all the good times and many friends that I met at the track.
neverwas
Fantasy
868th
9/7/2018 9:49am
Thanks for the link and great post.
I grew up racing with my dad and brother. A truly great time in my life.
tcallahan707
9/7/2018 4:58pm
Magic Man wrote:
Good words buddy, one of many things to work on myself. As I sit here in a neck brace for 3 months because I fractured C2...
Good words buddy, one of many things to work on myself. As I sit here in a neck brace for 3 months because I fractured C2, I have so much to be grateful for.
I’m sorry to hear about the injury but happy that you have the right mindset. I imagine that is tough to maintain 24/7, but like you said, it’s just something we work each day to get better at. Hope your recovering goes as smooth for you.
newmann
9/8/2018 6:16pm
Drove to Houston today with the wife to visit a good customer turned friend at MDAnderson Cancer Center for the day. We’re all getting older and things can turn to shit in a heartbeat. Gotta stay focused, enjoy life and plan your exit strategy, don’t let it plan it without you. Enjoy it , you fuggin goofballs...Wink
Graybeard
Fantasy
2478th
9/8/2018 6:22pm
Great post T, thanks for the reminder. And thanks to your dad, he did real good.
cmotodad
9/8/2018 8:22pm
Some important words for us all to try to keep in mind. I am so fortunate to be able to ride-race with my son regularly. We have always been riding together since he was young. Besides the riding, spending time at the track with him makes it so much better. Thanks for reminding me to appreciate the time we enjoy.
Mungusman
9/8/2018 9:26pm Edited Date/Time 9/8/2018 9:28pm
I Just think this is the best post I’ve seen on here, in quite a while. My dad abandoned me when I was little. my mom, and my grandparents, helped me get every bike I had. They sacrificed, to get me to the races, along with friends, I’d met at the track. This was long ago, I’m now 49 years old, and had my son when I was 37. I kind of forgot about Mx, since I gave it up in 1999. He found some pics of me racing, when he was about 4 years old, and said I want to ride dad. So I got him started. We’ve been thru a lot of tough times, with some really bad injuries. But he never wanted to quit. But whether he does anything in this sport or not, it doesn’t matter. The time we’ve spent together is priceless!!! He got me back into riding, I just bought a 2015 YZ250 2 smoker. I’m so grateful for all of this, and wouldn’t trade it for all the money in the world. So life is short, don’t worry about money, and stupid shit, enjoy your time here, live it to the fullest!!!! You only get one chance with your kids. He is my world, and I will do everything I can to help him succeed.
mxjeff575
9/9/2018 9:42am
Great post! We are truly lucky to get to have moto in our blood in this lifetime. Think what percent of the population doesn't know what moto is like. There is no way to explain to somebody what we (I) get from riding. That feeling of hitting the exact corner rut, laying the bike in, getting a solid drive out, flowing with the bike and throwing it around in the air off a jump, nailing your landing on the gas. I've been riding 38 years (amazing how fast time goes by), but still get an amazing high from riding every single time. And I try to not take that for granted. To be grateful for every time that i get to throw a leg over a motorcycle. In the last 6 months it seems a lot of people in my day-to-day life have passed away (2 suddenly from heart failure in the their 40's and 2 in their late 50's from cancer).
We are all very truly lucky to get to experience this sport! Braaaap !!

Post a reply to: Gratitude

The Latest