Graphics Install

kingy77
Edited Date/Time 1/27/2012 2:57am
Hey guys anyone have any tips on applying graphics kits?
|
6/21/2011 12:28am
kingy77 wrote:
Hey guys anyone have any tips on applying graphics kits?
Clean plastic well then allow to dry. Then apply a little soapy water or bubble solution to the plastic so that you can move the graphics into place before allowing them to dry.

Lastly use a hair dryer and get all air bubbles out, but be careful not to get the graphics too hot or they'll stretch.

The Shop

Camp332
6/21/2011 8:12am
This is how it works for me bro
1- Clean said plastics completely. (Removing any old adhesive residue, clean and dry to the touch before going to step 2)
2- Using a hair dryer, I like to preheat my new graphics to make them soft
3- I also get the plastics warmed up
4- Soak the plastics with a 50/50 windex/water mix
5- Peel the sticker backing off of graphic, and soak with windex mix
6- Now apply, and line up in the proper spot
7- Work bubbles out with thumbs(never use the squeegy)
8- Continue working bubbles out with hair dryer heat until all is perfect

Yea bro
jeffro503
6/21/2011 9:06am
Camp332 wrote:
This is how it works for me bro 1- Clean said plastics completely. (Removing any old adhesive residue, clean and dry to the touch before going...
1- Clean said plastics completely. (Removing any old adhesive residue, clean and dry to the touch before going to step 2)

Yea bro
Awesome technique bro!
newmann
6/21/2011 9:12am
I've gotten pretty good at putting them on dry with a little bit of blow dryer/heat gun action where necessary. Careful with homemade soap and water solutions, it will take too long to dry and compound curve panels will take forever to get to lay down. If you must mix up a home remedy solution to float on a graphic, try 50% water with 50% rubbing alcohol and then add a few drops of baby shampoo in a spray bottle. The baby shampoo will help float it in place and the alcohol helps most adhesives tack in place when you squeegee them down.
Camp332
6/21/2011 9:16am
Camp332 wrote:
This is how it works for me bro 1- Clean said plastics completely. (Removing any old adhesive residue, clean and dry to the touch before going...

Yea bro
jeffro503 wrote:
Awesome technique bro!
Bro. Thanks bro
pie8man
6/21/2011 9:24am
I concur on the not using soapy water.
Items 2 thru 4 above I simply go to the kitchen sink and use hot water on the plastic and graphics, I only peel a small portion of the backing off at my starting point which is usually the bolt holes for the shroud or number plates. Once I get them close to where they need to start I peel off the rest of the backing and go to town. Also remember that any part of the graphics that you stretch will usually stay laid down for their entire life. Any graphics that in essence have to shrink will usually lift off after a few days. Front edge of radiator shrouds. If you get the graphics started and do not like how it is turning out a firm yank is better than a slow pull off and you can take another shot at it.
SethGator
6/21/2011 9:35am
I would look into going to a sign shop and have the staff there install them for you. nothing like spending $200-300 on a graphics kit and having it get ripped or get a tear. it would be professionally done, and someone else would be held accountable if it gets funked up. I doubt they would charge more than $50-75.

'rippin and a tearin...

SteveS
6/21/2011 9:42am
Get the graphics from us with new plastic and we install free!
SethGator
6/21/2011 10:10am
SteveS wrote:
there you go...installed by a professional.
Camp332
6/21/2011 10:12am
SteveS wrote:
SethGator wrote:
there you go...installed by a professional.
Bro, are you afraid to do graphics? It's effing easy to do.
peelout
6/21/2011 10:13am Edited Date/Time 6/21/2011 10:14am
Camp332 wrote:

Yea bro
epic Bro-vice, bro

however, i like to go at it dry. makes me feel more like a Bro
Camp332
6/21/2011 10:14am
Peelout Bro. Thanks bro
Rooster
6/21/2011 11:10am
I own a sign shop. If you want to use a liquid to help keep the bubbles out the typical sign shop uses distilled water with a drop or two of dish soap (just enough to remove the surface tension) and a teaspoon of rubbing alcohol per quart.

If you're applying to new plastics then make sure you wash the plastic really good with alcohol to remove any mold release still present on the plastic from the factory.

Also make sure your hands are really clean. Oils from your fingers, especially around the edges where you're most likely to grab it will cause premature failure.

If the graphics are going on a older bike and have to be applied to a gas tank, then drain the tank and let it sit empty with the cap off for a couple of days before you apply the graphics to the tank.
dehner47
6/21/2011 3:44pm
SethGator wrote:
I would look into going to a sign shop and have the staff there install them for you. nothing like spending $200-300 on a graphics kit...
I would look into going to a sign shop and have the staff there install them for you. nothing like spending $200-300 on a graphics kit and having it get ripped or get a tear. it would be professionally done, and someone else would be held accountable if it gets funked up. I doubt they would charge more than $50-75.

'rippin and a tearin...

bro, i thought i was the only one that knew about the 'rippin and a tearin.. rippin and a tearin"...
dehner47
6/21/2011 3:47pm
ohhh and back on topic.. i am the king of grapphics and numbers. i do all my buddies bikes. and that was one of my resposibilities to do when i use to work for a pro atv racers. graphics, stickers and mixing the gas.. 2 stroke days.. so i can do a set of graphics on a bike with a can of carb cleaner and a hair drier.. simple as that...
kingy77
6/21/2011 11:25pm
Cheers guys I done my last set they turned out pretty good just wanted to see if there was an easier way!
Crush
6/22/2011 1:10am
I got the very first set I did right first time.... Then of course, I knocked the bike of it's stand and put a gauge in the left sidepanel! F*CK!

Use a spray bottle filled with water and literally 3 drops of dish wash liquid on a super fine mist and then just take your time... get a hair dryer to help soften it but take it slow, it heats up quick!

If you don't have a squeegey use your thumb but hold a rag around your fingers so you save your fingers...
6/22/2011 7:08am
You can either apply dry or wet. I have been putting graphics on for years so I have used the dry method most of the time unless it is a really curvy piece of plastic. Then I'll use the wet method with heat also. A nice decal squeegie tool makes getting bubbles out much easier so I would recommend one.
lilbulld
6/22/2011 8:35am
Dry with lots of heat and you're good to go.. Easiest way I found, the soap/water and windex methods just made a total mess for me and took forever to dry and get all the bubbles out.. Also I wish companies would not put the "slit" in the side panel backgrounds anymore, they look way better without it and are not impossible to install that way either
BK
6/22/2011 10:31am
For corners and tight areas where the graphic doesn't want to stick very well, I've found that clear nail polish works well to hold down those corners and areas. A heat gun will make the application much easier.
6/22/2011 12:21pm
I just heat them up in the oven at 140F for about 5 minutes, then line it up and slap it down. Unless you are doing the pipe side numberplate, it's not that hard...after about the 50th installation of graphics.

If you have never done it before just use water and make sure the graphics are warm and line up opposite ends of the graphics and then just start putting it down bit by bit. I think everything else makes the graphics not stick as well. But I am just making that up, because I really have no idea about the chemistry of adhesives and windex and all that.
TeamGreen
6/22/2011 12:32pm Edited Date/Time 6/22/2011 12:33pm
Order a new kit on new plastic from Decal Works and you're set.
bigbigfan
8/30/2018 7:19am
I know this post is a little older but I've been meaning to update an install guide on my blog for about that long, lol. There are a few great tips in this thread, would anyone mind if I shared a couple of them with my blog readers? I like to give credit when it's due, will link to the members providing the tips here, figured I'd ask first.

Here's the page, the guide is at the bottom, as you can see it needs a little freshening - ATV Graphics

Cheers
kNewc
8/30/2018 7:47am
I wash the plastics down with iso-propyl alcohol, spray down with a fine mist of Windex, then install the graphic.
You can use a credit card or squeegee to get the air bubbles/water out from under the graphics.
If you have bubbles after just cut a small slit in the middle of the bubble with an exacto knife, then push the air out. The bubble goes away and you can't see the cut from a distance. Usually the cut/slit is only 1-2mm long so it's barely visible. So don't really be worried about bubbles, you can take care of them after (unless they are really bad).
langhammx
Fantasy
581st
8/30/2018 7:49am
bigbigfan wrote:
I know this post is a little older but I've been meaning to update an install guide on my blog for about that long, lol. There...
I know this post is a little older but I've been meaning to update an install guide on my blog for about that long, lol. There are a few great tips in this thread, would anyone mind if I shared a couple of them with my blog readers? I like to give credit when it's due, will link to the members providing the tips here, figured I'd ask first.

Here's the page, the guide is at the bottom, as you can see it needs a little freshening - ATV Graphics

Cheers
“A little older” ?
It’s over 7 years old ! Tongue

Post a reply to: Graphics Install

The Latest