Graphics Being Destroyed - HELP PLEASE

rikhek
7/19/2018 7:26am Edited Date/Time 10/31/2018 10:04pm
On my 2017 and now my 2019 KTM 450 SX-F my right side number plate graphics don't last 1/2 a day and it's getting old. I wear Gearne SG-10's and my boot catches the leading edge of the graphic and rolls it back destroying it. I've tried using clear grip tape over the graphic and wrapped around the leading edge of the plastic to eliminate the leading "seam" of the graphic to no avail. This extends the life of the graphic for maybe 1 - 2 days before the grip tape rolls back. I'm wondering:

1. Does anybody know where I can source sheets or a small roll of some low friction clear adhesive film around 30 mil (0.030") thick? I've search for hours with no luck. I know someone like 3M or ??? makes it I just can't find it. The graphics companies have been no help as I want something thicker than they offer. I'm thinking I might have some luck with a low friction material versus grip tape which is designed to provide friction.

2. Does anybody have a better solution or suggestion as graphics are expensive and bike looks like hell with them rolled back and ate up.

TIA

Rick
|
DoubleA
7/19/2018 7:30am
Tape the edges of the graphics before ride with them, will stop your boot catching them as much
mxb2
7/19/2018 7:31am
rikhek wrote:
On my 2017 and now my 2019 KTM 450 SX-F my right side number plate graphics don't last 1/2 a day and it's getting old. I...
On my 2017 and now my 2019 KTM 450 SX-F my right side number plate graphics don't last 1/2 a day and it's getting old. I wear Gearne SG-10's and my boot catches the leading edge of the graphic and rolls it back destroying it. I've tried using clear grip tape over the graphic and wrapped around the leading edge of the plastic to eliminate the leading "seam" of the graphic to no avail. This extends the life of the graphic for maybe 1 - 2 days before the grip tape rolls back. I'm wondering:

1. Does anybody know where I can source sheets or a small roll of some low friction clear adhesive film around 30 mil (0.030") thick? I've search for hours with no luck. I know someone like 3M or ??? makes it I just can't find it. The graphics companies have been no help as I want something thicker than they offer. I'm thinking I might have some luck with a low friction material versus grip tape which is designed to provide friction.

2. Does anybody have a better solution or suggestion as graphics are expensive and bike looks like hell with them rolled back and ate up.

TIA

Rick
Trim it back. Some people are tougher on graphics. It wont look perfect , but it will prevent the problem your having.
EastFlorida
7/19/2018 7:32am
rikhek wrote:
On my 2017 and now my 2019 KTM 450 SX-F my right side number plate graphics don't last 1/2 a day and it's getting old. I...

TIA

Rick
Same problem on my 16 and 19 KTM... I keep trimming it back until it stops... Not a good answer, I know...

The Shop

slothy
7/19/2018 7:41am
i'm going thru this in my husky now also... last year no problems @ 70 hours of ride time. This year did new updfated graphics and plastics - 2 rides now and 2 side plate graphics already replaced..

They had did the grip tape and that got ripped off about 10 miles into the trail and the side plate graphic followed not much longer. SG12's
rikhek
7/19/2018 7:51am
DoubleA wrote:
Tape the edges of the graphics before ride with them, will stop your boot catching them as much
As detailed in my first post I've tried this every which way imaginable with no luck. As posted I've tried "high friction" grip tape/sheets to eliminate the edge to no avail and this is why I'm asking for a source for sheets of clear adhesive film around 30 mil thick.
rikhek
7/19/2018 7:54am Edited Date/Time 7/19/2018 7:56am
rikhek wrote:

TIA

Rick
mxb2 wrote:
Trim it back. Some people are tougher on graphics. It wont look perfect , but it will prevent the problem your having.
Thx. Been there done that but it looks like shit as you have to trim 1/3 of the graphic back. And no, I'm not exaggerating, a full 1/3 of the graphic needs to be cut back before it stops rolling up.

Hoping someone can steer me to a source for some low friction, clear, thick film/vinyl with adhesive backing. In other words, grip tape without the grip....
rikhek
7/19/2018 8:06am Edited Date/Time 7/19/2018 8:06am
That's basically grip tape and is what I've been trying with no success. Same as some other member posted above it only lasts for a very brief time before it too gets chewed up and destroyed. Doesn't typically last a day.

I wish I could fine a source for the clear, high gloss/low friction WP AER fork graphic material that comes with KTM's and Husky's as shown below. The printed WP/AER fork graphic material provided by the KTM/Husky factory with new bikes is smooth, thick and durable with adhesive and is what I'd like to find and try. Problem is, I'm having no luck sourcing. I believe that stuff is about 30 - 40 mil thick. I need to find where KTM/Husky is buying that stuff before having it printed.

JTM5427
7/19/2018 8:07am
rikhek wrote:

TIA

Rick
mxb2 wrote:
rikhek wrote:
Thx. Been there done that but it looks like shit as you have to trim 1/3 of the graphic back. And no, I'm not exaggerating, a...
Thx. Been there done that but it looks like shit as you have to trim 1/3 of the graphic back. And no, I'm not exaggerating, a full 1/3 of the graphic needs to be cut back before it stops rolling up.

Hoping someone can steer me to a source for some low friction, clear, thick film/vinyl with adhesive backing. In other words, grip tape without the grip....
This is what a few of the pro teams are running, usually holds up for about 2 practice sessions/1 race weekend and is easily removable to replace without destroying the graphics. When removing gently peel back then use WD40 to clean off any residue, clean the graphic with rubbing alcohol before applying a new one. To cut I usually use the backing of the graphic as a template. https://www.ebay.com/itm/12-x-10-Rubberized-Anti-Slip-Safety-Non-Skid-I…
rikhek
7/19/2018 8:13am
I've not seen Stompgrip before but looks like a different style of grip tape which hasn't worked. This is what I want to find but in a low/no friction, "shiny/slippery" material. Again, grip tape without the grip.
slothy
7/19/2018 8:14am
i thought about trying the 3m protective tape, but thats typically i think 8-10mils thick,. so prob wouldn't last worth a shit.
WarrenMX
7/19/2018 8:18am
Same problem on my 16 and 19 KTM... I keep trimming it back until it stops... Not a good answer, I know...
Interesting, when I first saw the 19's and how they had specifically changed the plastics in this area, I thought they might have solved the problem.

rikhek
7/19/2018 8:20am
mxb2 wrote:
rikhek wrote:
Thx. Been there done that but it looks like shit as you have to trim 1/3 of the graphic back. And no, I'm not exaggerating, a...

JTM5427 wrote:
This is what a few of the pro teams are running, usually holds up for about 2 practice sessions/1 race weekend and is easily removable to...
This is what a few of the pro teams are running, usually holds up for about 2 practice sessions/1 race weekend and is easily removable to replace without destroying the graphics. When removing gently peel back then use WD40 to clean off any residue, clean the graphic with rubbing alcohol before applying a new one. To cut I usually use the backing of the graphic as a template. https://www.ebay.com/itm/12-x-10-Rubberized-Anti-Slip-Safety-Non-Skid-I…
That's the kind of stuff I'm trying to find!!! I would prefer something a bit thicker as this is only 22 mil thick AND it's a textured surface like grip tape. I'd like to find this same stuff with a low friction surface.
usp4u
7/19/2018 8:26am
Stop wearing the right boot
MX915
7/19/2018 8:27am
Maybe call up a graphics company who prints fork decals and see if they'll sell you some of the clear material they use? All of the major players (Factory Effex, Throttle Jockey, etc.) offer the decals so it wouldn't hurt to ask.
rikhek
7/19/2018 8:29am
WarrenMX wrote:
Interesting, when I first saw the 19's and how they had specifically changed the plastics in this area, I thought they might have solved the problem...
Interesting, when I first saw the 19's and how they had specifically changed the plastics in this area, I thought they might have solved the problem.

I was excited and thought the same thing myself, however, the 2019 bike is worse than my 2017.... Brand new set of expensive DeCal works graphics destroyed in less than 1 hour ride time AND I even trimmed the new graphics back a bit prior to riding to resolve the issue. Not that it really matters but I'm only catching the right side plate.
rikhek
7/19/2018 8:30am
usp4u wrote:
Stop wearing the right boot
LOL. Nice, I needed that!
WarrenMX
7/19/2018 8:41am
rikhek wrote:
I was excited and thought the same thing myself, however, the 2019 bike is worse than my 2017.... Brand new set of expensive DeCal works graphics...
I was excited and thought the same thing myself, however, the 2019 bike is worse than my 2017.... Brand new set of expensive DeCal works graphics destroyed in less than 1 hour ride time AND I even trimmed the new graphics back a bit prior to riding to resolve the issue. Not that it really matters but I'm only catching the right side plate.
Good to know! I was actually going to see if it was possible to make the 19 right side plastic fit my 18 because I thought it would be better in this regard. I guess I'll just leave it the way it is.
rpawley
7/19/2018 8:42am
Put some epoxy or strong adhesive under that section of the graphics. It will probably still de-laminate (If not screen printed) but stay stuck. Or like others have said get some clear and wrap it around the edge to the back and use epoxy on all of that.
7/19/2018 8:44am
https://www.cmtcompositi.com/shop/ktm/sxf-250-2016-2017/carbon-protecti…

or get some thin lexan and a heat gun and make your own, its pretty easy. I know guys that use tuperwear and cut it and heat it. Been doing this on hondas for years. The owner of decal works actually has a patent on the graphic guard idea but doesnt produce anything strangely enough.

7/19/2018 8:47am
I destroy my graphics after a few rides, but never have had them roll up. Maybe try a different graphic supplier? (If you haven’t already). The adhesive quality could just be really bad.
rikhek
7/19/2018 8:51am
https://www.cmtcompositi.com/shop/ktm/sxf-250-2016-2017/carbon-protections-rear-panels-149 or get some thin lexan and a heat gun and make your own, its pretty easy. I know guys that use tuperwear and cut it...
https://www.cmtcompositi.com/shop/ktm/sxf-250-2016-2017/carbon-protecti…

or get some thin lexan and a heat gun and make your own, its pretty easy. I know guys that use tuperwear and cut it and heat it. Been doing this on hondas for years. The owner of decal works actually has a patent on the graphic guard idea but doesnt produce anything strangely enough.

Hell of a good idea. Different approach which would solve the problem!
rikhek
7/19/2018 8:53am Edited Date/Time 7/19/2018 8:55am
I've tried multiple graphic company's but same results. I've also used contact cement which has good results until the decal quickly delaminates as mentioned above.
aeffertz
7/19/2018 9:12am
How’s the rubber on your boot around the pivet bolt?
rikhek
7/19/2018 9:20am
aeffertz wrote:
How’s the rubber on your boot around the pivet bolt?
My boots are new and rubber is in great shape. Interesting as my son just got a new pair of SG-10's and they are ripping up the right plate graphics on his 18 KTM same as me. However, his "old" SG-10's did not hurt the graphics. First ride with his new boots and his right side was toast.
Skylebones
7/19/2018 9:27am
I don't know what they are doing differently but I've never had OEM graphics get destroyed as fast as the KTM's. My son's '18 65 graphics starting coming apart after the first ride. Love the bike though.
kb228
7/19/2018 9:33am
The graphics shouldnt be hanging off the edge to get caught. You want the edge to be like 1/8” away from the edge of the plastics so it lays flat. Otherwise get some fork stickers and wrap it on the edges like someone else said. Graphics dont last long on my bike. I got 10 hours on my 250 and theyre destroyed.
sandman768
7/19/2018 9:37am
I have been using black duct tape on mine...redo do it every few rides....
NHtoWA421
7/19/2018 10:06am
Amazon 3m helicoptor tape or 3m scotchgard. Its Tough stuff. I use it to protect my mtb frames. It's also used for the clear protective bras on cars.

Post a reply to: Graphics Being Destroyed - HELP PLEASE

The Latest